PDA

View Full Version : REJOICE! For Xbox360 will see FFXIII!

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Just saw it on the Microsoft E3 Press Conference with my OWN EYES.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD IT'S COMING ON A CONSOLE I HAVE

Roto13
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
I haven't seen the press conference. Does this mean both XIII and Vs. XIII?

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I didn't see any Versus stuff :(

Yar
07-14-2008, 08:22 PM
You're going to need to provide proof, otherwise this thread is as useful as all the other "XIII on Xbox360" threads...

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2008, 08:28 PM
You might be able to see it here (http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/press_conf_detail.aspx?pressconference_key=1) later, and there are other witnesses here on the forum.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/118759-e3-2008-microsoft-official-thread.html

EDIT:

And there was like...ONE of those threads! Maybe two, tops.

Raebus
07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
IGN: E3 2008: Final Fantasy XIII Coming to Xbox 360 (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/888/888967p1.html)

Hahahahaha.

Ouch!
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
As long as Microsoft doesn't happen to somehow obtain exclusive content like they did with GTA4 (which I doubt they will), I will still be purchasing this on my PS3. Regardless, good move by SE.

bdon333
07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
they called it a "version" of ffxiii though...so it might be dumped down from the ps3 game...plus..it seems the versus is staying exclusive to ps3..which is the one i actually want

Raebus
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Let us 360 owners celebrate for a bit.

sexymonkey
07-14-2008, 09:10 PM
dont get me wrong, im not one for this whole console war boll**ks, but this news has annoyed me slightly.

The only reason a bought a ps3 was for this game, so far my ps3 is an ornament sat gathering dust in the corner. I could have saved £200 and got an xbox360, what a gip!

oh well, there's always ebay!!

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Ah, damn....Versus isn't going multi-platform ;_;

Roto13
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Wow, did you just hear that on the live Kotaku feed, too? xP because I did.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
That's where I'm doing it

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow, did you just hear that on the live Kotaku feed, too? xP because I did.

Yeah :(

Just

"No."

Plain "No."

:kaocry:

Depression Moon
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I am outraged by this http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif!@ WHAT IN THE FUCKING WORLD IS WADA THINKING! I'M GOING TO LOS ANGELES RIGHT NOW AND PUT A BULLET THROUGH HIS HEAD! I SAW THAT PRESS CONFERENCE TOO AND HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO US!?
FIRST THEY SAY IT'S EXCLUSIVE TO THE PS3 AND NOW IT'S NOT. NOW IT'S GOING ON TO THE 360! IF THEY GET EXCLUSIVE CONTENT FOR THIS http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif I'M BLOWING UP MICROSOFT HQ AND SE'S HQ. THIS IS JUST REPULSING. Come on now, why are so many now just have to jump on the microsoft train. Is everyone too money hungry or are they afraid of some competition now!? I think microsoft might be bribing some these people. I was having a good day until this WTF Square Enix WTF?

Raebus
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Big deal. Play the game on the console you own instead of going all wah wah wah wah bad microsoft wah wah wah bloody wah.

Vyk
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Uh wake up. This is how people felt when Sony bought Square away from Nintendo. I'm glad Square's not butt-humping Sony so much anymore

Depression Moon
07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Sony didn't buy Square from Nintendo, they simply saw that for their next game they wouldn't be able to put the technology that they had for FFVII on the N64. It was a matter of what was going to be better for the game. In this instance it's crossing over onto technology that's inferior to the previous manufacturer they were on legs with. This situation is widely different and the moral of it is that now it seems like less people have enthusiasm of dedication to individuality in speaking of technical terms. I'm not sure if I'll be getting a PS3 anymore.

Roto13
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
BAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Jowy
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
You're all just gonna bitch about how much the game sucks when it comes out in 2011 anyway.

Yar
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
The only thing I don't like about this news is that if Final Fantasy XIV comes out this generation, there is the chance of it not being multi-platform, and I could invest in the wrong console for XIII.

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I think PS3 owners are safe S:

Most of the main Final Fantasy games will probably be on Sony consoles is my guess.

Vivisteiner
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Wada is an idiot. I said as much a while ago.

If they're gonna release it on Xbox 360, at least bloody well tell us fans in advance. I mean, I wanted to play Lost Odyssey, but no, I didnt get the Xbox 360, I got FFXIII. Purely because it was on PS3.

Fucking Wada. I bet his fortune teller tol him to do that.

Roto13
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Has anyone stopped to think about the inevitable delays that come with creating a game and porting it over to a whole other console before it's release? I'm pretty sure we can expect it to come out some time in 2029.

Vivisteiner
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
^Exactly. And they said there would be a simultaneous release of both versions. Which means that PS3 owners might have to wait longer for the Xbox 360 version to be finished. Also, Lost Odyssey occupied 4 discs. How many will FFXIII fit inside?

And what about SE's promises to take the PS3 to the limit and push it to the depths of its potential. A load of crap I say.

Roto13
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
And what about SE's promises to take the PS3 to the limit and push it to the depths of its potential. A load of crap I say.

There's that, too. xP

Alright, so there are reasons to get annoyed now.

tidus_rox
07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
I am so fucking pissed off right now...

Raebus
07-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Okay, the fact that tidus_rox is pissed off makes all this ten times funnier. I feel bad for the rest of you but with tidus_rox, I'm just laughing. xD

Oh well, you'll soon get over this.

tidus_rox
07-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Okay, the fact that tidus_rox is pissed off makes all this ten times funnier. I feel bad for the rest of you but with tidus_rox, I'm just laughing. xD

Oh well, you'll soon get over this.

tehe...
No but seriously... you don't understand the extent of my frustration right now...
Square is retarted :p
Oh well, I will just pretend it's still exclusive. :) FFXIII for 360? Nahhhh

Raebus
07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Thats it, just put your head deep in the sand and block out something that can't be helped or changed.

*Sigh*

@ lower post.

tidus_rox
07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Ah, damn....Versus isn't going multi-platform ;_;

BAHAHAH! GOOD! (I love you)

SPAMZ!
:( I am so mad... I have read every post like 15 million times....
AHHH

This... cannot be true... :(
*cuts wrists*

Well.. I'm not going to that extent.. but I cried... a little... just a little.

Don't quadruple post. It's annoying and wholly unnecessary.

~Void

Yar
07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Why is this frustrating to people? In fact, all they've done is make the game more available to people.

For people like me who are still stuck in the last gen, this gives us more freedom. I now don't need to buy a PS3. I can, but I probably won't because of its price, and the fact that I'd only buy it for XIII right now. I've seen more Xbox games I've liked, so I might go that direction.

Mirage
07-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Can all the fucking fanboys just shut the hell up?

I've got a PS3 myself and I don't fucking whine about the people without one being able to play this game as well.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Yaridovich, let's create our own clique. There's two or three of these topics, and you and I seem to be the only voices of reason in the debate

There's absolutely no reason to get mad about this. Apparently people were under the idea that Square was some kind of Sony first party developer? I've never been a big fan of Sony myself. And I think this is a smart move by Square. Not because I prefer Microsoft. But because they'll be making quite a bit more money this way. I've always wondered why RPGs were always so exclusive to a system. Finally someone bucks the trend. People can swallow their elitism and get over it

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM

I guess Xbox owners won't be seeing graphics as good as the PS3 :spin:

...not that it matters to me, I don't really own either console, so I'll just buy whatever suits me in good time.

Yar
07-15-2008, 01:12 AM

...not that it matters to me, I don't really own either console, so I'll just buy whatever suits me in good time.

Is there really that much of a difference between the two consoles?

Maybe the graphics are already okay, that's why they're going ahead with this. Why would they invest money to deteriorate the game's quality?

Vyk
07-15-2008, 01:19 AM
PS3 has admittedly more potential in processing power and capability. But I personally don't require photo-realistic graphics. I'm sure it'll be pretty either way and that's all I require

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2008, 01:35 AM

Is there really that much of a difference between the two consoles?

Maybe the graphics are already okay, that's why they're going ahead with this. Why would they invest money to deteriorate the game's quality?

No, not a big difference :p

It's Square-Enix, it's going to be freaking beautiful no matter what console it's on :bounce:

Yar
07-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Xbox 360 version will not be available in Japan, so far anyway. Basically becuase Xbox 360 is so unpopular over there.

Now, if XIII never releases on Xbox 360 in Japan, this could potentially reduce the Xbox version's development time, no?

Vyk
07-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Probably. No translation needed. Probably wait till they're done with the PS3 version's translation and just port it over or something (Oh noes! A delay! *Teases the masses*)

Wolf Kanno
07-15-2008, 05:40 AM
I don't see a problem with this. Its better business for SE and the franchise could grow more. I feel the game is going to be delayed whether or not its being ported to the 360. Somehow I feel this whole deal has something to do with SE showing off the accessibility of the White Engine... :shifty:

Roto13
07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
However much the game was going to be delayed, it's going to be delayed even more now. xP

Vyk
07-15-2008, 06:18 AM
I'm sure you're just making a point so I won't include you. But those people will survive :P

Dragonsoul
07-15-2008, 08:37 AM
This is very interesting news! I bet that Final Fantasy Versus XIII will also be out on Xbox 360. I want both versions to be almost exactly the same. Also, by having the game out on Xbox 360, this will delay the release dates I think. I hope that no version has bugs also. And I want both versions of the game to be out on the same release date. Now I don't have a real reason to buy a Playstation 3 for rpg's, assuming Final Fantasy Versus XIII goes to Xbox 360 also. :choc2:!!!

Krelian
07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
This is great news! I'm glad about this announcement, because I can forget about the PS3 for a while longer now :D I can't understand all this whining either, but I expected to see something like this. They don't switch to Microsoft, they're just going to port it, guys. I don't even think there's going to be that much of a delay because of this, if at all.

Croyles
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
This is horrible news. Its gonna drag the game down, just wait for it.
First its gonna delay the game, and then SE are gonna have to make both games equal which will drag the PS3 version down. They are going to have to limit it to the size of a DVD9. Well it will probably be multi-disk but there are still certain limitations when thats the case. MGS4 was already a full Blu-Ray, and this makes you happy? Well obviously it does cause you dont have to shell out more money to buy a PS3, but it makes me angry, and not because I want bragging rights.
This game has now gone down the drain.
The 360 had plenty of good games without having to steal ours with their bloody money.
Their whole conference was about stealing.
Its all turned into damn money nothing about innovation.

I dont give a crap about fanboyism I would happily buy a 360 if I had more money, doesnt mean that this doesnt annoy me.

Yar
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I doubt it is so much that Microsoft bribed Squeenix as much as Squeenix saying "hey, we can make MORE money doing this!"

If you bought a PS3 specifically for this game, that seems like a bit of a stupid move on your part (general "you"). The game isn't even out yet, not to mention no speculative release date has been announced. If you've bought a PS3, KEEP IT! It will still be released for the PS3, and of you think that the PS3 is that much better than an Xbox, you can brag all you want about your
"better" version.

It sounds like whining now, and frankly I'm finding it annoying.

Croyles
07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Im happy more people will be able to enjoy the game. However the game is likely to get dumbed down and/or delayed, whether thats just for the xbox360 or both versions remains to be seen. The possibility of delays AND limitations annoys me. And yes of course we are whining, thats generally what you do when you are annoyed. Its just as annoying hearing people say that someone is not allowed to be annoyed or angry at this.

I find it annoying because I want competition between the consoles to be more equal. Fact is, PS3 hardly has anything going for it and stuff like this (not this alone) could mean the end of some great consoles.

Yeah buying a PS3 just for FFXIII would of been a pretty stupid move. Even if there werent all these rumours etc, the game was still far off.

If the game turns out to be just as good as it could have been had it remained a PS3 exclusive im happy to admit being wrong, but its just annoying to see and wait this one out because SE have made some horrible games lately and the potential is there for a major cock-up.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM
As stated elsewhere. The game doesn't look like anything the 360 couldn't handle anyway. Thinking Squeenix is going to edit the hell out of it to make it fit on a DVD? I'm sure they're going to make it for PS3 first, and no matter how big it turns out to be, they'll do the port after. So no unnecessary editing. The 360 version will just have more disks. Which is no big deal. None of it is a big deal

Not to mention that apparently this has been known for over a year now..

Also, Versus will -not- be on the 360. Or any other part of the XIII Saga. Just XIII itself is being ported. The rest will remain exclusive so if this is about pride and prejudice, the PS3 owners still get to feel elitist about that if they want. Though I don't think its necessary

Croyles
07-15-2008, 02:32 PM
No this isnt about pride and prejudice as ive already said. This is about console competition being completely not equal. I wouldnt want it going the other way either. I wouldnt want the PS3 to sell billions of consoles and 360 and Wii selling nothing because it means less competition and less innovation, thats all im saying.

I dont care as much as im letting through in this thread, im just trying to prove a point.

Maybe you think im like this guy?:
Final Fantasy XIII: Final Fantasy XIII Is A Traitor, Square Must Apologise (http://kotaku.com/5025233/final-fantasy-xiii-is-a-traitor-square-must-apologise)

Nifleheim7
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
This whole thing should teach us all something about corporation "loyalty" and "promises".
It's good that more people will get a chance to play the game.
Personally i don't care if the game gets to be delayed,i have too many games to play anyway.And the thing about "maxing out the PS3"?Well i never believed that they could do that even if it was PS3 exclusive.

Croyles
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
If anyone said maxing out that must of been an exaggeration because we wont be seeing any maxing out on either console for a while.

Another thing. People saying "Does this change anything for you" and "This is just whining".
Fact is losing exclusivity shouldnt be a big deal, but when its such a one-sided affair, namely 360 getting all once-exclusive PS games (I know FF used to be on the NES/Snes), and the PS3 getting NOTHING so far apart from Bioshock which doesnt interest me greatly and Oblivion (which in hindsight wasnt a very fun game for me), makes it a whole different situation and one someone probably couldnt understand if he or she:
A) Owns a 360
B) Owns a 360 and a PS3

Why would you care? I wouldnt if I had all the consoles, its understandable. But why am I not allowed to care? People get labelled as fanboys way too quickly.
Did I make the wrong purchase? Maybe, who knows.

So if you own a 360 you are obviously happy, and you must be thinking, why would anyone be angry about losing exclusivity, you still get to play the game. Obviously this is what you WOULD think when all gone-to-multiplats make life better for 360 gamers while PS3 gamers gets nothing in return.

I just watched the conference, I probably have to say the overrall cockiness of MS and Wada now annoys me more than anything else. Sony's cocky too, but Sony as a brand didnt exactly have a place in my heart or anything, so I couldnt care less. I dont care about MS either. SE on the otherhand, well, its obvious every coorparation has some a$$holes, and its a bigger impact when two a$$holes merge into one massive a$$hole. Its like some damn x-rated version of Locoroco.

Bah whatever, im more happy about my Uni results from yesterday (scraped through my first semester lol) than I am annoyed about this today.

/self-righteous rant

Roto13
07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
This whole thing should teach us all something about corporation "loyalty" and "promises".

That's cute.

Crossblades
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I find this to be good news. This could save people alot of money for those who were planning to get a PS3 just for this game alone and already have a 360.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
This is almost making me sell my PS3. I keep hearing good games either going on the 360 or getting ported to the 360. I thought MGS4 and FFXIII were good reasons to get a PS3, but I guess not anymore. It just doesn't make sense. The PS3 is the better system despite it's price, from a technical POV and a durability POV. You hardly ever hear about PS3 malfunctions, but with the 360 it happens all the time.

I don't know; I just feel bad for Sony.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
If anyone said maxing out that must of been an exaggeration because we wont be seeing any maxing out on either console for a while.

Another thing. People saying "Does this change anything for you" and "This is just whining".
Fact is losing exclusivity shouldnt be a big deal, but when its such a one-sided affair, namely 360 getting all once-exclusive PS games (I know FF used to be on the NES/Snes), and the PS3 getting NOTHING so far apart from Bioshock which doesnt interest me greatly and Oblivion (which in hindsight wasnt a very fun game for me), makes it a whole different situation and one someone probably couldnt understand if he or she:
A) Owns a 360
B) Owns a 360 and a PS3

Why would you care? I wouldnt if I had all the consoles, its understandable. But why am I not allowed to care? People get labelled as fanboys way too quickly.
Did I make the wrong purchase? Maybe, who knows.

So if you own a 360 you are obviously happy, and you must be thinking, why would anyone be angry about losing exclusivity, you still get to play the game. Obviously this is what you WOULD think when all gone-to-multiplats make life better for 360 gamers while PS3 gamers gets nothing in return.

I just watched the conference, I probably have to say the overrall cockiness of MS and Wada now annoys me more than anything else. Sony's cocky too, but Sony as a brand didnt exactly have a place in my heart or anything, so I couldnt care less. I dont care about MS either. SE on the otherhand, well, its obvious every coorparation has some a$$holes, and its a bigger impact when two a$$holes merge into one massive a$$hole. Its like some damn x-rated version of Locoroco.

Bah whatever, im more happy about my Uni results from yesterday (scraped through my first semester lol) than I am annoyed about this today.

/self-righteous rant

I own only a 360. So I sound one-sided too. But I'm just trying to be objective. It has less to do with the systems and more to do with the games. And this exclusivity bit... well. Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, and Oblivion? Some could argue those were stolen away from their systems and thus tainting the competition waters..

I'm just trying to help people see the big picture. Sony may lose the console battle. Not because they may lose one game. But because their marketing platform. They had to be the best, and thus the most expensive, and hardest to develop for. Its a gamble they knew they were taking in the beginning. Its not really anyone else's fault if they're suffering

And quite honestly I think Sony will win the war in the end. Just like they did last time. PS2 STANK when it first came out. Most buyers in Japan got it as a glorified DVD player. Which is exactly what happened here. People like having a cheaper Blu Ray player with lots of bells and whistles. But once companies like Sony and Konami and stuff start breaking into the system potential, it's all going to just get better. Same as last generation

And if Xbox had any Asian appeal, that's what would have happened for them. That was pretty much Tecmo's only reason. They wanted power and beauty and the XBox was the only one that could give it to them. Like Konami now for MGS4

Depression Moon
07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I still see this asa bad move. Most of these 360 owners probably wouldn't be interested in the game like so many others weren't 21 years ago. I say keeping exclusive to PS3 could market it to be something substantial and breathtaking that could get no where else, but on the PS3. That's the sole reason I wanted a PS3 in the 1st place, because FF was something that changed my life and it's peak potential that I experienced was on the Sony PS console which no other game at the time could handle.

I also don't quite get why I haven't heard about RE5 going to the Wii.

boris no no
07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I seem to remember the same sort of thing happening about 5 years ago... Remember the Gamecube? Good console but the PS2 completly ruled the console scene and got all the good games.

Frankly I don't care about all this competition rubbish, I have a 360, yet before I had a 360 I was never going to get a PS3 as none of the released, or rumoured releases appealed to me. Microsoft have the upper hand, have designed a better console and will get the better games.

Frankly I am happy this has happened, I can play FFVIII on a great console and enjoy it

Raebus
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Um, how do you know for sure that most 360 owners wouldn't be interested in playing it? Oh nevermind, this is getting ridiculous.

@ other post above this.

boris no no
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I still see this asa bad move. Most of these 360 owners probably wouldn't be interested in the game like so many others weren't 21 years ago.

Sorry? but that is the stupidest response ever! The 360 is far more popular than the original XBOX. Look at some of the recent popular games namely LOST ODYSSEY (might I say created by the original SE folk) which is hugely popular in the UK charts and is a fantastic game!

(sorry for the rant but this made me laugh so much I had to say something)

Croyles
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Emm it definitely isnt a better console, but lets leave that for another time.

Raebus
07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I've gotten alot of laughs from this thread but it was mainly from the sony fan posts.

We can each think our console is better than someone elses different console, its opinion after all.

boris no no
07-15-2008, 10:02 PM
omg lets go to battle, we can beat eachother to death with our controllers!!11!!11!!!

:rolleyes2

Raebus
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
I choose you, 360mon! Use superior software on ps3mon!

kidding/

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Throw a pokeball o:

Depression Moon
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I still see this asa bad move. Most of these 360 owners probably wouldn't be interested in the game like so many others weren't 21 years ago.

Sorry? but that is the stupidest response ever! The 360 is far more popular than the original XBOX. Look at some of the recent popular games namely LOST ODYSSEY (might I say created by the original SE folk) which is hugely popular in the UK charts and is a fantastic game!

(sorry for the rant but this made me laugh so much I had to say something)

That is not a stupid response if you look at the numbers mainly considering RPGs for the platform, one would know they are greatly overshadowed compared to all the others on that system. The UK is just one small part of the areas of marketing. The results of the same game in the 3 other areas is negative.

Raebus
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Right, well luckily I don't care about crap like that.

Croyles
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
FFXIII will do well on 360, anyone can see that.

*Throws usb cables at everyone*
Take that!!
.........oh

Mirage
07-15-2008, 11:30 PM
This is horrible news. Its gonna drag the game down, just wait for it.
First its gonna delay the game, and then SE are gonna have to make both games equal which will drag the PS3 version down. They are going to have to limit it to the size of a DVD9. Well it will probably be multi-disk but there are still certain limitations when thats the case. MGS4 was already a full Blu-Ray, and this makes you happy? Well obviously it does cause you dont have to shell out more money to buy a PS3, but it makes me angry, and not because I want bragging rights.
This game has now gone down the drain.
The 360 had plenty of good games without having to steal ours with their bloody money.
Their whole conference was about stealing.
Its all turned into damn money nothing about innovation.

I dont give a crap about fanboyism I would happily buy a 360 if I had more money, doesnt mean that this doesnt annoy me.

Haha, did it ever cross your mind that Square Enix just realizes that the PS3s install base is too small to make the game profitable, considering most RPG fans went with a 360 because, well, there's where the RPGs are.

Cloudane
07-16-2008, 12:15 AM
YES! Great move Squeenix, I'd been hoping and praying they'd do this so that I wouldn't "have to" buy a PS3.

Poor Sony, NOT.... serves them right for their antics a few years ago with the PSP and such like. What goes around, comes around. Certainly the nail in the coffin for a lot of people who had one remaining reason to buy a PS3.

Of course, it's still got MGS4 and GT..5?6? going for it. But 3 big titles become 2, that's not so good for its future.

Vyk
07-16-2008, 12:17 AM
PS3 just got that one RPG.. I can't remember the name of it. First party developed

Other than that aren't they all multi-platform?

I don't honestly know how or why, but 360 has a ton, a lot of which either are, or were for 360 only. Which frankly boggles my mind, honestly. Its a western system and even the eastern companies are choosing it. Have -been- choosing it. All along

Mist Walker fell in love with 360 for some reason. And though their games are all hit-or-miss. Their opinion on the matter was highly regarded

Now there's games from Namco, Tri-Ace, Square

I think there might be more going on than we see or realize that's opened up the eyes to all these developers

Granted, I'm happy. But I'm just as confused as the Sony fans

tidus_rox
07-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I've gotten alot of laughs from this thread but it was mainly from the sony fan posts.

We can each think our console is better than someone elses different console, its opinion after all.

Yeah!
Meh, I am over it now.
I am going to buy it for PS3... if other people can buy it for 360, good for them :)
Wont bother me a bit... not oneeeeee bit... not at all....

finaloblivion
07-16-2008, 02:48 AM
come on now, cant the PS3 get any love? i adore my system, and while whether or not it's better than the 360 is totally a matter of opinion, i would like to have some exclusive stuff here. FFXIII is the main reason i bought a PS3. BUT, hopefully Versus shall remain exclusive, like it said in the original trailer. well, hats off to 360 owners then. enjoy.

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2008, 03:03 AM
The problem with exclusives is that they don't really help third party developers especially in today's age where good games require the budget of a Hollywood film to make. Its better for SE, Capcom, and other third party supporters to go multi-platform rather than put all their eggs in one basket and pray the console they chose will be a hit. The hype machine isn't what it used to be and its unrealistic a game can be a "system seller". Gamers are just too jaded by todays standards.

SE chose a safe bet and in the end, I feel everyone will profit. Its not like they switched sides and made XIII a 360 exclusive. I think this whining is pointless and in the long run, I feel we all win here. This coming from a guy who has little interest in XIII and owns a Wii. :p

Croyles
07-16-2008, 03:40 AM
So what about all those 360 exclusives? No one ever complains about them, saying "its too expensive and doesnt bring enough profits".

boris no no
07-16-2008, 07:00 AM
And then we find out... THEY RELEASE FFXIII FOR THE WII!! xD

Markus. D
07-16-2008, 07:24 AM
n.n

Cloudane
07-16-2008, 10:56 AM

With the FMVs removed and graphics downgraded but hey, you can swing the controller around xD

Croyles
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Lol, im half expecting it...

Vyk
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Well considering apparently/supposedly/allegedly/probably the engine was designed to be handled on all platforms o.o

Mirage
07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
PS3 just got that one RPG.. I can't remember the name of it. First party developed

I don't honestly know how or why, but 360 has a ton, a lot of which either are, or were for 360 only. Which frankly boggles my mind, honestly. Its a western system and even the eastern companies are choosing it. Have -been- choosing it. All along

Mist Walker fell in love with 360 for some reason. And though their games are all hit-or-miss. Their opinion on the matter was highly regarded

I think there might be more going on than we see or realize that's opened up the eyes to all these developers

What's going on is that MS made a system that's easy to develop for (which in turn means cheaper), and has price that is reasonable for the consumers, making for a nice amount of potential purchasers. Even with the somewhat lacking install base in Japan, the developers recognize that the large install base in the rest of the world will enable them to earn much more than if they released it on only the PS3. ANd that's even after the localization work has been paid for.

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2008, 07:23 PM

What's going on is that MS made a system that's easy to develop for (which in turn means cheaper), and has price that is reasonable for the consumers, making for a nice amount of potential purchasers. Even with the somewhat lacking install base in Japan, the developers recognize that the large install base in the rest of the world will enable them to earn much more than if they released it on only the PS3. ANd that's even after the localization work has been paid for.

Exactly. This was the point I was trying to make. Now if MS can just make a system that doesn't "piss itself and die"... 360 might have it made.

vga518
07-16-2008, 08:38 PM

FFXIII Will be for both 360 and PS3 but Versus is only PS3.
Also FFXIII 360 release is only for US and Europe, Everywhere else it's just PS3!

For FFXIII: I think I might get a 360 then!

Jessweeee♪
07-17-2008, 12:33 AM

That would be the best ever. Ever.

ljkkjlcm9
07-17-2008, 03:23 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. This is just smart business. Hate it all you want, but Sony would have had more success releasing XIII for the PS2 than the PS3. The PS2 still continues to outsell the PS3 every month.

I see no problem with it, and I only own a Wii. I've just recently borrowed a friends PS2 to finally play X and XII. No, I never played them until this year. I haven't played a number of square games. They ditched me on Nintendo, and I was just like, whatever.

I mean, there is an exclusive GTA game now coming out for the DS... are they sell outs too?

THE JACKEL

Dragonsoul
07-17-2008, 04:33 AM

Also FFXIII 360 release is only for US and Europe, Everywhere else it's just PS3!

I think eventually Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be announced also for Xbox 360 in Europe and Japan.

Why isn't the Xbox 360 popular in Japan? I heard from somebody that's it's because he thinks that the Japanese games don't want to buy from an American company(Microsoft), is this true? I also heard because the original Xbox didn't have much rpg's that came from Japan.

Playstation 3 is getting killed off in Usa except for Metal Gear Solid 4, how is it popular in Japan? The PS 3 only has one Jrpg out so far, Enchanted Arms, and that one isn't as popular. Please give me your thoughts! :choc2:!!!

boris no no
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM

I think eventually Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be announced also for Xbox 360 in Europe and Japan.

Why isn't the Xbox 360 popular in Japan? I heard from somebody that's it's because he thinks that the Japanese games don't want to buy from an American company(Microsoft), is this true? I also heard because the original Xbox didn't have much rpg's that came from Japan.

Playstation 3 is getting killed off in Usa except for Metal Gear Solid 4, how is it popular in Japan? The PS 3 only has one Jrpg out so far, Enchanted Arms, and that one isn't as popular. Please give me your thoughts! :choc2:!!!

Enchanted Arms is also on 360 :3

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-17-2008, 07:38 AM
You might be thinking about Valkyria Chronicles. It's not out yet but that is exclusive I think.

spike
07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
off course it's easy to develop for xbox, it's just a pc in a console case, the games run on directx

the xbox360 OS is a form of windows, even uses the same kernel

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh no, windows? Not good at all! Those poor people on the 360 will get to the title screen and then it'll be like "whoops iz errorz overheat" and so they'll send it to Microsoft to be repaired. Meanwhile their friend playing the PS3 version is like "Well, since you haven't gotten your console back I've installed it and beaten the game like 8 times already and started FFXV."

Hyperion4444
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
they called it a "version" of ffxiii though...so it might be dumped down from the ps3 game...plus..it seems the versus is staying exclusive to ps3..which is the one i actually want

I much rather think that the Final Fantasy Versus XIII won't be exclusif, but not FFXIII itself!

Something of the opposite here.

Raebus
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh no, windows? Not good at all! Those poor people on the 360 will get to the title screen and then it'll be like "whoops iz errorz overheat" and so they'll send it to Microsoft to be repaired. Meanwhile their friend playing the PS3 version is like "Well, since you haven't gotten your console back I've installed it and beaten the game like 8 times already and started FFXV."

The fanboyism is strong with this one.

Hyperion4444
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM

The fanboyism is strong with this one.

perharps it is, but then again....

Vyk
07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Never had a problem with my Boxes. Though I -have- had problems with my Playstations :] Both generations I've owned. So it goes both ways

Croyles
07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Only PS3 owners are fanboys. 360 owners? NEVER!
Also, only white people can be racist. :p

Raebus
07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
One or two PS3 owners in this thread are much more annoying fanboys than the the 360 owners, I won't mention names.

Croyles
07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Im guessing..... me?
I just thought it was worth mentioning this fact.
There probably are more PS3 fanboys than 360 ones, just cause 360 is a newer console and hasnt rounded up all the über-geeks yet.

Vyk
07-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Nobody's been irrationally plastering 360 propoganda though :/ Just 'cause its being defended from irrational attacks doesn't equate to fanboyism. Just expression of fact and logic. Nobody's claiming anything extraordinary about the 360

If someone is I'll debate it out with them just as much. Fact is though the only ones being irrational at the moment are the PS3 guys for some reason

360 owners' stance on their system right now has more in common with the Wii fans. Nobody's tried to start anything. Only difference is nobody's attacked the Wii over something unsubstantiated. Or they'd have spoken up too

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not being too irrational but yeah I know I'm exaggerating to a degree lol.

Croyles
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Propoganda? Meh, whatever I cant be bothered.

Dragonsoul
07-18-2008, 03:19 AM
I've decided to buy a Playstation 3 this fall so that I can play Eternal Sonata again. The only other Xbox 360 and/or Playstation 3 games I definetely will play in the upcoming years are Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and if I already have a PS 3 I may play it on that system. There is one other rpg game that I'm highly considering buying for next gen systems, Mass Effect. But it's out for Xbox 360 and PC. I'm upgrading my PC so that I can play Starcraft 2 so maybe I will just end up buying Mass Effect for PC since that version I believe is the better version. It looks like it's possible that I may not get a Xbox 360 again for a while, this is an interesting turn of events, my plans are changing.

I hear that the Playstation 3 version of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion had better graphics than the Xbox 360 version, is this true? Are Playstation 3 versions of rpg's better than their counterparts on Xbox 360? :choc2:?!

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-18-2008, 03:31 AM
What happened to your first 360? Did it overheat and have massive hardware failure? Or did you sell it?

I'm pretty sure the PS3 versions are better, but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't seen the 360 version.

Jessweeee♪
07-18-2008, 03:42 AM
I've never had a thread go past ninety posts ._.

Dragonsoul
07-18-2008, 05:29 AM
What happened to your first 360? Did it overheat and have massive hardware failure? Or did you sell it?

I'm pretty sure the PS3 versions are better, but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't seen the 360 version.

I was in a situation in mid November. I was very short on money but Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings was coming out in a few days. So I had to sell my Xbox 360 to round up money to buy a Nintendo DS and the game and the strategy guide. I had already finished Eternal Sonata and Final Fantasy XII right before FF XII: RW came out.

In my DS and Xbox 360 related news since beating FF XII: RW, among other things, I've bought FF Tactics A2 and plan to buy FF III, FF IV, and Chrono Trigger for Nintendo DS this year but so far I've missed out on buying Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey.

Eyes On Final Fantasy forums, what's your choice?
1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, and Chrono Trigger
2. Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey

Since I'm really focused on Final Fantasy, I had to get that Nintendo DS, but I want a Xbox 360 again! :)

Great work Jessweeee♪! How'd you get that musical note symbol? :choc2:?!

...oh yea...Weimar Pluto Knight VII, my Xbox 360 I sold last November was actually my second Xbox 360. When I bought my Xbox 360 in August last year right before Blue Dragon came out(I rented this, didn't buy it), my Xbox 360 broke the second day I had it! I replaced it at the store with a second version. This was pretty funny, but a bit annoying, luckily I wasn't too interested in Blue Dragon after renting it, and I had yet to discover the true ultimateness of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Eternal Sonata hadn't come out yet! :choc:!!!

TyphoonThaReapa
07-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Why should I rejoice? Hitler's pissed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LpRx7-RgnU) lol...:rolleyes2

Dragonsoul
07-18-2008, 09:00 AM
That's one of the greatest videos in history! It's pretty funny.

Anyways, I think I read that the Playstation 3 version of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was better than the Xbox 360 version. I think I also heard and/or read that the Playstation 3 is the more powerful console. I am buying a Playstation 3 for Eternal Sonata, so I'll probably pick up Final Fantasy XIII for that console.

The best part of the video was when the general tells Adolf Hitler that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still PS 3 exclusive and Adolf yells at him saying that he doesn't care about the game. I also like the part when Adolf says that the PS 3 version is going to have to be downgraded to go onto Xbox 360. Is that true in real life? I like the video! :)

Ouch!
07-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I am buying a Playstation 3 for Eternal Sonata, so I'll probably pick up Final Fantasy XIII for that console.
At risk of flame-baiting... care to explain that logic? It leaves me flabbergasted.

Raebus
07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Haven't you heard? It's got two new characters and a clothing system. I pretty much exploded in excitment at that news, the best day since sliced bread was invented. @ Eternal Sonata.

Oh well, its his loss. He'll enjoy his PS3.

Croyles
07-18-2008, 12:30 PM
This is exactly what im talking about lol.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-18-2008, 12:34 PM

"I pre-order that game for 60 dollars. Now it's a waste of hardcore porn money!"

LOL, THE BEST VIDEO EVER!!!!:cool:

Quindiana Jones
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I think every game should be available on as many consoles as possible anyway. It's ridiculous that they're not. I understand the monetary benefits and stuff, but I don't give a flying fuck. It's just stupid.

Quite happy about this, as it means I can play it. But I still feel FF should stick with Sony, just because of the OMG THINGS ARE CHANGING oddness. Besides, Microtwats have got enough decent games on their consoles anyway. They don't deserve FFs because they're all dickheads. I hope they die.

But yeah. Huzzah!

Mirage
07-18-2008, 05:29 PM
PS3 games generally have a lower average framerate than their 360 counterparts. this is party because many PS3 games are a port of a game that was initially developed for the 360, and because the PS3 (again) is a harder system to develop for, meaning you need to put more resources into making the game run as well as it does on 360. If a game is initially developed for PS3, however, chances are that it'll run better on PS3 than on the 360 port.

Even if the average framerate is pretty good on both system, just a few frames per second less on one of the systems can make a noticable difference. Say for example, that GTA4 on 360 has an average framerate of 30, but in action heavy scenes, it drops by 5 frames to 25. 30 is smooth enough, and so is 25. Now let's take the PS3 version of GTA4. It runs roughly at 3-4 fps less than the 360 version. Normally, this means a little bit over 25 fps, enough to make it look smooth enough. However, in action heavy scenes, the frame rate drops, just like in the 360 version, bu roughly 5 frames. Now, the PS3 version runs at just 21-22 frames or so, which is starting to look a bit choppy.

Croyles
07-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Well your right for the most part apart from the GTA bit, which for once ran smoother on the PS3 than the 360.
Porting from PS3 to 360 gives better results for the PS3 and the 360 version will USUALLY be just as good had it been developed for it first. This depends on the engines though.
There where a lot of annoying multiplat games that ended up http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif on the PS3 but devs are definitely getting the hang of it now.
I praise Insomniac for this because they made a lot of PS3 development tips public that no other dev would have done for business purposes. No one could be bothered to learn about the new hardware otherwise lol.
Just like the PS2, but multiply it by 2/3 times.

Anyway, I really wonder how far SE are into development. The new trailer showed mostly old footage just cut differently.

Mirage
07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I think a framerate counter on a computer is a bit more accurate than your eyes, or something. :p.

I own a PS3 and not a 360, by the way, so I'm not really coloured by Xb360 fanboysim :p. I wish it performed better on the PS3, but it doesn't :(.

Hyperion4444
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I think every game should be available on as many consoles as possible anyway.

Thoses 360 guys claims "Well, it's the gamer who wins in this"
No, they don't.
Because then Microsoft goes off elsewhere and buys off 3 more exclusivities.
The real anwser is that they are screwing with sony and the feeling of the gamer.
Microsoft couldn't care less about others nor the games nor the bs they're doing to other people, including there own kind. X360 in particular.
Well, in any case, I'm not letting this get to me.
I'll continue to promote the game dispite thoses X360 players bashing out the game either way. You know, like they bashed Devil May Cry 4. Only Final Fantasy fans would have the guts to speak good of this game if they are X360 players ...

Jessweeee♪
07-18-2008, 10:18 PM
No, they don't.

Eh?

Is that how it works?

Vyk
07-18-2008, 10:44 PM

Agreed

I'm guessing those games will also receive a new coat of polish. Though I usually just skim over Dragonsoul's posts, I get the impression he currently has neither system. So to join in the next generation he's going to have to have to spend hundreds of dollars regardless. Where he spends his hundreds of dollars is up to him. At least he's weighing his options. Games that are available on both systems, and upcoming exclusives

At least its not like he's selling a 360 for a PS3 just for these games when they're available on both..

Yar
07-19-2008, 06:34 AM
GameFAQ's Poll of the Day (http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=3183).

I don't believe any of those "never buying Square-Enix again" votes are sincere.

Roto13
07-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Where's the "it makes sense but quality will probably suffer" option?

Yar
07-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Where's the "it makes sense but quality will probably suffer" option?

It's the internet. There is no sensibility.

Dragonsoul
07-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Rpgamer.com had a Final Fantasy XIII poll the other day I think. Where's the link to the results? :D

I'm more likely to get the Xbox 360 version of FF XIII now I think.

Hazzard
07-19-2008, 11:51 AM

No, they don't.
The real anwser is that they are screwing with sony and the feeling of the gamer.
Microsoft couldn't care less about others nor the games nor the bs they're doing to other people, including there own kind. X360 in particular.
I'll continue to promote the game dispite thoses X360 players bashing out the game either way. You know, like they bashed Devil May Cry 4. Only Final Fantasy fans would have the guts to speak good of this game if they are X360 players ...

Jeez...it's just a game, get over it. You really think Sony gives a damn about it's gamers? Cause they all have the same objective which is to get money by any means possible.

Roto13
07-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Not really "by any means possible" but anyone who thinks Sony is crying because it's children have to share their game is deluding themselves. They're probably pissed that consumers have lost a reason to buy a PS3 over a 360. That's about it.

However, no company has as much of a disregard for it's customers as Microsoft, even with the Xbox 360. This much should be obvious. Not because of anything to do with Final Fantasy, but because of the inferior hardware they put on the market and their refusal for so long to actually fix it. (Taking your console for a month and putting in the same poor-quality parts is not a fix, sorry. Even if they do it as much as you want for three years.) Also, because they think the extra features in Xbox Live are worth $50 per year. And because of their horrible DRM issues. And other stuff.

This is exactly why it doesn't matter how many exclusives Sony loses, or how many Microsoft gets. I don't spend hundreds of dollars on poor quality hardware, and I don't give my money to companies that put it out if I can help it. That's called being a sensible consumer.

Yar
07-19-2008, 05:47 PM

No, they don't.

The gamers do win this. Multi-platform games promote competition, thus making companies fight for players' attention, therefore doing things customers like. This can mean better games and lower prices.

Forum goers: Please stop adding your own false justifications to say that Final Fantasy XIII going to Xbox is bad for business. It is not. If you want to play the game on the PS3, then by all means do so. I have neither an Xbox 360 or a PS3 and I'm still undecided. I'll buy the system that I'm buying specifically for XIII closer to the release date, not only to save money but also to make sure that one version isn't better than another.

I still have yet for anyone to provide any evidence that the 360's specs are inherently worse that the PS3. When you do that, we'll talk. The only proof I've seen is the comparison between DVD-DL and Bluray, which I provided. The only downside I can see to that is more discs on the 360 version, which did work for FF games in the past.

Croyles
07-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Yari, its all one sided, so it is bad for business. Its good business for SE, and the 360, but bad for the PS3. And, this is a gross exaggeration as one game does not decide this but, if stuff like this causes the PS3 to go out of business, that means less competition, if it doesnt, business is still good. This has been the case for eons though. It was bad for business when the PS2 was outselling everything. No one wanted the Dreamcast to die, it was a brilliant machine. Dont know if that was because of the PS2 or not but anyway, do you get my point?
If everything was multiplatform, there wouldnt be a need for mutliple consoles. And if one consoles gets all the games another console had before and the other doesnt get anything in return, then there also is no need for multiple consoles. No multiple consoles = bad for business.

But yeah, saying all of this will happen just because of FFXIII is stupid.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2008, 01:07 AM
I doubt Sony is seriously going to be bankrupt cause the PS3 failed, its not like they are exclusively a console developer like Nintendo or Sega. I love how no one cried foul when Sony's Blu-Ray pushed HD DVD out of market. If the PS3 fails, I see it as Sony's fault. Not SE, not Microsoft. Sony walked into this console generation as a pompous ass that felt it could do no wrong, they talked some smack, made some unrealistic promises and failed to see their third party developers were having issues with their hardware. The company itself has fumbled the PS3 and its sad for the fans but sometimes you have to realize that once you reach the top there is only one place to go from there... down.

This is not to say I feel Microsoft is any better. Hell, I feel all three companies have seriously dropped the ball this generation and I was hoping to see a glimmer of hope that all three would wake up and fix their issues. Microsoft still seems in the dark about their shoddy design and inability to choose who their target demograph is.

Nintendo may have started digging their own grave; especially when they realize that the "super casual market" most likely feels the Wii is a nice fad. You know, like they did to Video Games before in the late-70's.:rolleyes2 Losing all their high profile, third party exclusives like FFXIII, GTAIV, and DMC4 should be a wake up call to Sony. If their executives are halfway smart, we should be seeing some heavy handed ass kissing for the next few years... both cheeks.;)

Truthfully, I feel its going to get worse before it gets better.

Chewy
07-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Im happy! whooooooooooooo!

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2008, 04:03 AM
Hmm...after seeing some Little Big Planet stuff, I think I'll get a PS3 anyway.

...but this is still cool and fantastic news.

Croyles
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I doubt Sony is seriously going to be bankrupt cause the PS3 failed, its not like they are exclusively a console developer like Nintendo or Sega. I love how no one cried foul when Sony's Blu-Ray pushed HD DVD out of market. If the PS3 fails, I see it as Sony's fault. Not SE, not Microsoft. Sony walked into this console generation as a pompous ass that felt it could do no wrong, they talked some smack, made some unrealistic promises and failed to see their third party developers were having issues with their hardware. The company itself has fumbled the PS3 and its sad for the fans but sometimes you have to realize that once you reach the top there is only one place to go from there... down.

This is not to say I feel Microsoft is any better. Hell, I feel all three companies have seriously dropped the ball this generation and I was hoping to see a glimmer of hope that all three would wake up and fix their issues. Microsoft still seems in the dark about their shoddy design and inability to choose who their target demograph is.

Nintendo may have started digging their own grave; especially when they realize that the "super casual market" most likely feels the Wii is a nice fad. You know, like they did to Video Games before in the late-70's.:rolleyes2 Losing all their high profile, third party exclusives like FFXIII, GTAIV, and DMC4 should be a wake up call to Sony. If their executives are halfway smart, we should be seeing some heavy handed ass kissing for the next few years... both cheeks.;)

Truthfully, I feel its going to get worse before it gets better.

I think you completely misunderstood my post if your were refering to that...

Dreddz
07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Croyles is the only one thinking straight here. FFXIII becoming multi-platform is bad because its drawing both the 360 and PS3 closer together in terms of software. Big exclusives are important for the industry and the consumer. I own both a 360 and a PS3 and I think it was a pointless decision.

Its now become a money game and its come down to who has a bigger wallet between Sony and Microsoft. And because Microsoft are so aggressive and lack any sort of sportsmanship whatsoever its going to make it difficult for the consumer in the long run. Who's to say FFXIV will even be on a Sony platform. Square's interest is in money and Microsoft are likely to lay down a handsome sum for it to be fully exclusive to the 360 or their next platform. This uncertainty makes it difficult for us buyers as we probably won't know what console we really want till late in the game.

Skyblade
07-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I think Croyles is the only one thinking straight here. FFXIII becoming multi-platform is bad because its drawing both the 360 and PS3 closer together in terms of software. Big exclusives are important for the industry and the consumer. I own both a 360 and a PS3 and I think it was a pointless decision.

Its now become a money game and its come down to who has a bigger wallet between Sony and Microsoft. And because Microsoft are so aggressive and lack any sort of sportsmanship whatsoever its going to make it difficult for the consumer in the long run. Who's top say FFXIV will even be on a Sony platform. Square's interest is in money and Microsoft are likely to lay down a handsome sum for it to be fully exclusive to the 360 or their next platform. This uncertainty makes it difficult for us buyers as we probably won't know what console we really want till late in the game.

Yeah, and when FFVII came out, it abandoned the Nintendo consoles in exchange for Sony's. So what? Square isn't that stupid. They do care about the gamers, not because they actually give a damn about them as people, but because the gamers are the ones who buy their products. No matter how much money Microsoft tosses at them, it isn't anything compared to what they make from game sales. If Microsoft takes them on as a console exclusive, again, so what? They'll work with Microsoft, and when Microsoft starts to make stupid business decisions, Square will find a new company to work with, just as they left Nintendo, and just as they are distancing themselves for Sony. If Sony wants to keep them, they'll have to get their heads out of the sand and revamp their systems. If Sony had famous companies like Square-Enix that worked for them exclusively and there was no threat of losing them, they would have no incentive to change or fix any problems. The console companies have to compete to keep the game designers as much as they have to compete to keep gamers.

Vyk
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll admit a future with no exclusives equates to no competition and therefore little (if any) innovation.

And I'm glad at least Roto's hate isn't pinned on jealousy. Its facts. That I can live with

Fear's okay too I suppose but this is still just a tad irrational

FFXIII doesn't define the future of exclusives. It might, yes. But I doubt its the beginning of the end

Nobody moaned like this whenever Sony acquired a previously exclusive game :[ Which is why I know its just irrational fears and a touch of fanboyism

I'm sorry FFXIII isn't exclusive anymore

The rest of its saga, however, is

As is the current FF money-tree franchise still Sony's

Sony will live. And (I'm sure) so will the idea of exclusivity

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
....why do I feel like I'm playing Mafia here?

o_o

Seriously, I was gonna vote for someone!

Vyk
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
....why do I feel like I'm playing Mafia here?

o_o

Seriously, I was gonna vote for someone!

Who were you going to vote for? ;P

Dreddz
07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Nobody moaned like this whenever Sony acquired a previously exclusive game :[ Which is why I know its just irrational fears and a touch of fanboyism
Well to be honest you don't hear of Sony acquiring many exclusives as of late. They only lose them.......to Microsoft. And the difference between Sony acquiring exclusives and Microsoft acquiring exclusives is that Microsoft in most cases bribes the developers while Sony are just given them. Sony efforts are focused on their first party developers which is good because the games won't be able to appear on any other platform and gives the PS3 more of an identity.

And I'm pretty sure I showed my dissatisfaction when Bioshock was coming to PS3 as that was a defining game for the 360 and the best reason to own one.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
No, my post wasn't exclusively directed to you Croyles.

I was just giving my two cents on the industry and what I feel the loss of exclusives is really doing to Sony. But lack of competition? Hello, this is what first and second party developers are for! :rolleyes2 MS has Bungie and Rare (suckers) Sony has the Ico team as well as the teams that brought us Legend of Dragoon and Arc the Lad, and lets face it, the only thing Nintendo has going for its non-handheld console is its first party developers. The ones that have kept them afloat for three console generations right now.

The system specs are also different so I feel some companies can be commissioned to build games specifically for the system. Especially since the last few generations have made making AAA titles cost million of dollars. Exclusiveness to a system is not going to earn these third party developers back their money, its better for them to either go multi-platform to earn back their income or the console companies need to start making better incentives to stay exclusive. I really feel Sony shot themselves in the foot with the PS3 and due to its slow start, more developers are jumping ship instead of foolishly placing all their eggs in one basket.

Granted, Sony has always done well because they had a better library of third party developers than the other two consoles but I feel they easily forget this and instead of building a system to the specs of the developers that was both powerful and economical; they instead tried to promote their own technology and boasted how powerful it is. The #1 complaint against Sony in the last generation was that the PS2 was difficult to program for; and in this generation, it seems its even worse. I'm not saying Sony is doomed but I can't give them pity cause they should have paid more attention to the warnings. We've known for awhile that SE's White Engine was being designed to applicable outside of the PS3 specs. Sony needs to make amends to the third party developers if they want to regain their dominance.

Overall, I feel third party exclusives are bad for third party developers unless they magically chose right and picked the console the fickle market decided to praise this generation. I mean, for crying out loud, Square and Enix joined forces because both were suffering financially (Square more than Enix) and so they could combine their forces to cut back on production costs. The last console generation saw many mergers and the main reason was because of production costs. Obviously, I feel a new deal must be made between third party developers and console companies on how to fix this problem and I see major third party developers like SE and Capcom going multi-platform as a good sign to get all parties at the bargaining table.

Exclusives are good for the console not for the developers unless you have a damn good PR group that can convince people that your game is going to be the end all be all of existence...

Vyk
07-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Well to be honest you don't hear of Sony acquiring many exclusives as of late. They only lose them.......to Microsoft. And the difference between Sony acquiring exclusives and Microsoft acquiring exclusives is that Microsoft in most cases bribes the developers while Sony are just given them. Sony efforts are focused on their first party developers which is good because the games won't be able to appear on any other platform and gives the PS3 more of an identity.

And I'm pretty sure I showed my dissatisfaction when Bioshock was coming to PS3 as that was a defining game for the 360 and the best reason to own one.

I'm gonna give everone the benefit of the doubt that says this stuff. Since in all likelihood it actually is true. But to be totally honest I'd like to know for sure if its actually whats happening. And I'd like to know for sure that Sony has never done the same thing in the past o_o

Ouch!
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
The problem with your argument, Kanno, is that you don't seem to be arguing the same point as those on the perceived other side. I'll admit that exclusives are more beneficial to the companies producing the consoles than to the developers making the games, but that doesn't change the fact that exclusives are important to the market.

Exclusives create differentiation between the consoles. To be perfectly honest, some third party developers are going to have to provide exclusives whether they like it or not. First party developers are too few to produce enough games to create solid differentiation between the consoles. Whether you care or not, you have to recognize that despite their technological differences, the 360 and PS3 are becoming more and more indistinguishable in terms of software. If the software isn't any different, the hardware stops mattering.

Consoles rely on exclusives to define their product. The market relies on competing consoles. My problem with the Xbox 360 isn't that they're taking exclusives, it's that they're taking every exclusive they can get their hands on, and it's destroying any meaningful differentiation between the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Monopolies, the eventuality presented by a market which features no differentiation between products, are bad for the economy. There's a reason why they're illegal. Monopolies can make more money by producing below efficiency. This is bad for the market. This is bad for the consoles. This is bad for the developers. This is bad for the consumers.

I don't see Final Fantasy XIII as the worst loss ever, but it's a continuing trend that is unfortunate. No. It's not Final Fantasy XIII that worries me. It's Grand Theft Auto IV, Assassins Creed, Virtua Fighter 5, Beautiful Katamari, and Final Fantasy XIII that worry me. All games consumers were originally led to believe would be PS3 exclusives which have jumped ship in varying forms. While I don't think that this is the end of gaming as we know it, I think it's definitely proof that the industry is heading down the wrong path.

Also, not saying Sony is completely innocent. I don't like seeing Bioshock or Eternal Sonata going to the PS3 either (I'm more annoyed about Bioshock than Eternal Sonata, to be honest), but let's just face the fact that the Xbox 360 isn't getting as hurt by this as Sony is.

Further, before anybody accuses me of being a PS3 fanboy, I'd like to throw it out there that I have all three systems (and both major handhelds) of this generation. I play my Xbox 360 more regularly than any of the other consoles and this still pisses me off.

Edit: The only reason Nintendo seems to manage to stay out of this problem is because their hardware is so vastly different from the PS3 and Xbox 360 that they maintain differentiation that way. To be honest, I don't see Nintendo surviving forever on the novelty of the Wii. Sure, they're doing the best of the three right now, but I don't see their console as one with any particular longevity. I think that the Wii shows that differentiation through hardware is a temporary solution. If the rumor that Microsoft is developing a Wiimote-clone turns out to be true, I think we're going to have an even bigger problem on our hand.

Chewy
07-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Why the hell do peeps get wound up when games are released for other consoles?:choc: it does my head in damn fanboys:choc2:
I wish console exclusives where history.....:(
Apart from Wii, thats sh*t is messed up fool:D

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I feel Microsoft seems to be getting better deals out of this because they were farther behind than Sony when it came to high profile exclusives. Looking back, MS had the Halo franchise, Bioware games, Team Ninja and Fable to make them feel different. Sony had, GTA, FF, DQ, DMC, MGS, VF (which they bought from Sega when it got divvied up by the consoles) to only name a few... Sony had more to lose and MS had more to gain. I blame Sony on making an impractical machine for developers and not willing to keep them happy to stay loyal. I'm certain MS may have written a few big checks but I also don't believe it was hard for them to convince these developers to lose exclusivity.

Personally, I don't see how this is the third parties fault when Sony and MS both decided to build simply bigger and better versions of previous systems. The consoles themselves have been very close to each other (spec-wise) for years. Both companies have devoted themselves to just having slightly better graphics and sound quality instead of building their systems to offer something more than on the surface. I feel the only thing MS has over Sony is that their system is not difficult to program for so porting over games is cheap and offers a better market share for them. I'm sorry some people learned that developers do not share the same misguided level of loyalty to the Big 3 that fanboys do. Yes, when it comes down to it, the game industry has always been about money; just like the movie industry. Welcome to the shallowness that is the entertainment industry. ;)

I Honestly believe MS will suffer as well and I agree that losing all exclusives will hurt the industry overall. Its just that I've been seeing this trend starting back in the last generation and I feel that the old model of exclusives needs to be remade by all parties so no one gets screwed. I see this loss of third party exclusives as a lesson that will help the industry. I don't believe its a permanent trend like some feel it is but rather as the beginning of a revolution in the gaming business model. Granted, we may not see any real changes until the end of the current generation, in fact, we may not see a complete resolution until the next generation.

I do agree that Nintendo is going about the Wii all wrong. They have an opportunity to change the industry but I feel they missed the point. The Wii offered alot of opportunities but its being squandered by making nothing but games that suit the casual market. I see Nintendo's "casual gamer market" falling apart once the majority gets tired of the novelty. Its a shame Nintendo can't see that most people see the Wii as nothing more than the "flavor of the week".

Roto13
07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry FFXIII isn't exclusive anymore

Now that's just a lie. :P

Vyk
07-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Sorry as an apology to people getting bent. Not actual sorrow :]

Croyles
07-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Wait, this is a FFXIII thread? Wow you wouldnt know it from looking at post after 100. Well this is always the sign of a good discussion :D

Ouch!
07-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Personally, I don't see how this is the third parties fault when Sony and MS both decided to build simply bigger and better versions of previous systems.
This in particular struck me about your post, so I'll respond to this. While I can't truly begrudge the third party developers the decision to make more money (I'm not unaware that video games are a business, thank you very much), constantly pushing their games for multiplatform release (specifically the big titles that help create console identity) is a decision based entirely on the short term. Good business models examine the long run, but multiplatform release do not do this. It's a way to make immediate money now without examining long term effects. They're backing on a solution appearing without actually trying to work towards it themselves.

Personally, I don't see this as the ruin of gaming. It's unfortunate that third party developers don't seem to want to release big titles for only one console, but it's not nails in the coffin.

To be honest, I expect to see more first party developers appearing. Nintendo has already made this transition. They started it back when Sony appeared and stole their steam. Now that Microsoft is taking Sony's limelight, I expect them to do the same. It may not be in their business plan to pay for exclusives but rather "earn" them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them to start supporting companies so that they develop exclusively. This whole situation could be remedied by more first party developers, really. The only problem right now is that there aren't very many of them.

Why the hell do peeps get wound up when games are released for other consoles?:choc: it does my head in damn fanboys:choc2:
I wish console exclusives where history.....:(
Apart from Wii, thats sh*t is messed up fool:D
Maybe if you took the time to read the thread before criticizing people for being console fanboys, you'd know the answer to your own silly questions. =D

Hyperion4444
07-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Sorry, but I'm not following you there with your exclusivity.

you claim that the PS3 had slow sales????
Did you even read an article about thoses sales???
The Xbox 360 sold 6.5 million units in it's first year.
The PS3 sold 12.85 million units in it's first year.
That is despite having 200$ more than the Xbox 360, and even with the Xbox 360 having half the price of the PS3 in Europe, the PS3 is domminating in Europe.

Oh yeah, on the official site, it says that S-E suffered a lost of 28 million dollars .... just read the article.
No released PS3 game, there's still a huge unpayed investment here.
2 actually.

DMC4 sold 233,500 unit on the PS2 and 295,000 on the Xbox 360.
Except DMC 1-3 sold over 2,000,000 with just the PS3, 700,000 unit average per games.
I truly believe theses numbers would be much higher given it would have stayed exclusif, because who of us actually tried the game just because it was exclusif?... and looked kick ass.

In Final Fantasy's case, they are self sufficient in sales.

Dragonsoul
07-21-2008, 05:24 AM
All this waiting for Final Fantasy XIII has turned me from super excitement to super sadness. I'm very excited about the game, but since I've waited for a long time already and am going to wait for a long time in the future, I feel sad about this!

The second most anticipated game for me is Starcraft 2 or Final Fantasy Versus XIII, I wish I was more anticipated for those. Starcraft 2 will be out in the Spring next year though. :)

Skyblade
07-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Exclusives create differentiation between the consoles. To be perfectly honest, some third party developers are going to have to provide exclusives whether they like it or not. First party developers are too few to produce enough games to create solid differentiation between the consoles. Whether you care or not, you have to recognize that despite their technological differences, the 360 and PS3 are becoming more and more indistinguishable in terms of software. If the software isn't any different, the hardware stops mattering.

Wrong. If the software is identical, the hardware is all that matters. When people chose between DVD and VHS, it wasn't the content that drove them to choose DVD. Similarly, when selecting HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, it wasn't the movies that came out that made the final choice. It was the quality, capability, and availibility of the hardware. Console exclusives do provide differentiation among the consoles, but they also serve as a crutch that hinders the consoles. If a company relies on their exclusive content to draw their bidders, they lose an incentive to do anything else to differentiate their system.

If both the PS3 and the X-Box 360 did have identical software, then it would be the merits of the system that defined them. It wouldn't be a simple matter of "oh, this system has the FF franchise, so I'll get it". Gamers would be drawn to the system which was most cost-efficient, ran best, or had some other advantage. Losing the exclusives means that both Sony and Microsoft will have to work harder to make something unique. Something that will draw gamers more than simple name-recognition, and therefore give game developers a reason to keep their games exclusive to one console. Money offered for a game or not, if it doesn't sell on the new system, game developers wouldn't make it for that system.

Losing exclusivity will force companies to build a better console. Not just the one with the best hardware, but the one that balances capability, cost, reliability, and a hundred other factors into the ideal package. That's what free market is all about. Each company must strive to produce the best product they can, and the one that produces the best product wins. I, for one, am all for it.

Hyperion4444
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I do agree that people will go for what is best like in the HD-BD war.
But what made the HD-DVD to loose it's battle against the BD is because of the lack of support, both in player and disc.
Most of the compagnies signed pure exclusivity with the BD.
The tech didn't really mattered because they had close to equal capacities.
The BD had more sold units.

In the console war however, it's a different story.
Most people would believe that the Xbox 360 has close the same technology as the PS3, that isn't true at all, you'd know if you owned one. Trust me.
When you look at the games that were started on both system and then multi-platformed to the other, there's a huge difference.
Just take DMC4 and Conan.
DMC4 may be one of the best looking action games up to date along with HS (Much better graphics) and NGS, and there's NO VIDEO ON THE PS3 VERSION BUT MADE ENTIRELY LIVE BY THE CONSOLE.
and then in Conan's case, well, my PS2 games all beat thoses bad graphics.

The PS3 has better tech in both HW & SW.

Skyblade
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
In the console war however, it's a different story.
Most people would believe that the Xbox 360 has close the same technology as the PS3, that isn't true at all, you'd know if you owned one. Trust me.
When you look at the games that were started on both system and then multi-platformed to the other, there's a huge difference.
Just take DMC4 and Conan.
DMC4 may be one of the best looking action games up to date along with HS (Much better graphics) and NGS, and there's NO VIDEO ON THE PS3 VERSION BUT MADE ENTIRELY LIVE BY THE CONSOLE.
and then in Conan's case, well, my PS2 games all beat thoses bad graphics.

The PS3 has better tech in both HW & SW.

Actually, from what I've seen, people know that the X-Box 360 isn't as good as the PS3, they just think that the hardware and software improvements of the PS3 is not worth the additional cost. And I agree. And, since games cost more to develop for it than they do for the 360, gaming companies don't like it much either.

Ouch!
07-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Wrong. If the software is identical, the hardware is all that matters. When people chose between DVD and VHS, it wasn't the content that drove them to choose DVD. Similarly, when selecting HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, it wasn't the movies that came out that made the final choice. It was the quality, capability, and availibility of the hardware. Console exclusives do provide differentiation among the consoles, but they also serve as a crutch that hinders the consoles. If a company relies on their exclusive content to draw their bidders, they lose an incentive to do anything else to differentiate their system.

If both the PS3 and the X-Box 360 did have identical software, then it would be the merits of the system that defined them. It wouldn't be a simple matter of "oh, this system has the FF franchise, so I'll get it". Gamers would be drawn to the system which was most cost-efficient, ran best, or had some other advantage. Losing the exclusives means that both Sony and Microsoft will have to work harder to make something unique. Something that will draw gamers more than simple name-recognition, and therefore give game developers a reason to keep their games exclusive to one console. Money offered for a game or not, if it doesn't sell on the new system, game developers wouldn't make it for that system.

Losing exclusivity will force companies to build a better console. Not just the one with the best hardware, but the one that balances capability, cost, reliability, and a hundred other factors into the ideal package. That's what free market is all about. Each company must strive to produce the best product they can, and the one that produces the best product wins. I, for one, am all for it.
I disagree, but I'm not so full of myself to tell you that you're just plain wrong.

As you concede, the Xbox 360 is an inferior machine to the PS3. Due to this fault, multi-platform releases must be tailored to work on the Xbox 360. Games are, as a result, made below maximum specs for the PS3. I'll grant that the PS3 is more difficult to develop for, and that is a point against it, but the fact remains that its version of multi-platform games suffer more than the 360 due to this. I heard reports that games like Madden '09 were running at a lower frame rate on the PS3 because of such issues.

You might argue that this is solely because the PS3 is more difficult to develop, but I think it's evidence that a market geared towards multi-platform releases leads in the opposite direction you propose. You say this would encourage developers to make better consoles. I think it encourages the developers to make consoles with the bare minimum to remain in the competition. Sure, we would continue to see advancement in the industry, but nothing any more significant than we already have.

Hardware would become no more important than it already is. The thing is, more often than not, it's exclusive titles that really show off a console's capabilities. It's never any of EA's slew of sports titles that help give a console its identity. It may run better on some systems than others, but if one console is ever better than the others, it's a moot point because the title will get watered down to make a multi-platform release easier on the developer.

The problem with hardware as a defining point is that hardware is only as good as the software that utilizes it. That ATI graphics card isn't too terribly fantastic if the only thing you're running on it is a dusty copy of Doom. Exclusive titles are more likely to push a console's limitations and utilize it's full capabilities than a multi-platform release. See my point?

Bolivar
07-21-2008, 09:19 PM
My initial reaction was that my expectations for the quality of this game have plummeted.

Unless this game is multiple DVD's, available only to 360 users with hard drives, and has a mutilated graphical presentation, I have to say that Square-Enix has seriously let down its most loyal supporters. What I'm trying to say is - Tetsuya Nomura stated that FFXIII may be the first game to take full advantage of the PS3's capabilities.

How is that possible if it's being ported to the 360?

I guess we'll just have to see. I'm curious as to what Kitase and Nomura's thoughts are on this matter, and whose decision it was, and how much money they received. It must've been "an offer" they "couldn't refuse", or the company is in much more serious trouble than I thought.

I just wanted to add on Skyblade and Ouch!'s current debate - I have to take Ouch's side, not as a PS3 owner but as a history student. One of the main areas of study offered at my school is the History of Technology, and one of the main insights you draw from it is that, more often than not, the hands down best of the competing alternatives is rarely the winner. Much like the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war, who survives is dependent on back room deals between big companies and not the consumer. The notion of free market competition looks a lot better on paper than it actually does in practice. With the advent of the non-exclusive gaming software industry, I can only see the current domination of mediocrity in the entertainment industry across the board only getting worse.

Chewy
07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Its on the 360 too now, why can peeps find theat so hard to deal with, all it means is more peeps can play XIII now!

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2008, 12:55 AM
My problem with your argument Ouch! is that its not really bad for third party developers. I agree its bad for consoles and I do agree its bad for gamers since quality can be jeopardize but overall its actually a good deal for third party as long as they keep up quality.

I do agree that this cannot stay constant but I feel its the Big 3 who need to make the changes; not the developers. Like Skyblade said in his posts. Its up to the console companies to make a system that is practical and economic for the developers. If they could build systems that were cheaper to make games for, then developers can offer exclusives and they may even have more incentive to try new things. Right now, I feel its up to Sony, MS, and Nintendo to come up with a business structure that benefits all rather than have the third party developers stick to the old structure and watch their companies get bought out by competitors just because their multi-million dollar game was only able to break even.

Sure, Sony and MS can just write out checks to keep exclusive but we all know this is the short term plan that cannot fix the problem with the business costs of the industry. We need to see serious changes in the relationship between developer and console makers.

On actual topic with XIII, wasn't it originally going to be a PS2 game? I thought I heard that somewhere...

Yar
07-22-2008, 01:00 AM
On actual topic with XIII, wasn't it originally going to be a PS2 game? I thought I heard that somewhere...

Yes, but all the work was scrapped; save of course things such as story.

Ouch!
07-22-2008, 02:24 AM
My problem with your argument Ouch! is that its not really bad for third party developers. I agree its bad for consoles and I do agree its bad for gamers since quality can be jeopardize but overall its actually a good deal for third party as long as they keep up quality.
If the gamers suffer and the console producers suffer, third party developers will also eventually suffer. Each part of the industry is connected. Multi-platform releases are a short term solution to a long term problem. It treats a symptom and lets the disease rage on.

I do not believe that it's up to the developers to fix this problem. However, they cannot ignore the wound after sticking a band-aid on it. Yes, console producers need to be more considerate when making their consoles, but they also need third party support. Developers and producers are going to have to work together on these things more.

I'd never heard this.

Bolivar
07-22-2008, 03:40 AM
I'd never heard this.

This was a well circulated interview (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=24696524&union_id=4430) where some of the developers state it. Yoshinori Kitase's response to the first question pretty much gives all the facts. Versus was going to be the next-gen game, and XIII would be PS2.

Ouch!
07-22-2008, 05:37 AM
I'd never heard this.

This was a well circulated interview (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=24696524&union_id=4430) where some of the developers state it. Yoshinori Kitase's response to the first question pretty much gives all the facts. Versus was going to be the next-gen game, and XIII would be PS2.
But it was never announced as a PS2 title, right? Considering it for a PS2 title was before they announced the titles originally. Just making sure I didn't miss something quite that big.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-22-2008, 08:52 AM

I do agree that this cannot stay constant but I feel its the Big 3 who need to make the changes; not the developers. Like Skyblade said in his posts. Its up to the console companies to make a system that is practical and economic for the developers. If they could build systems that were cheaper to make games for, then developers can offer exclusives and they may even have more incentive to try new things. Right now, I feel its up to Sony, MS, and Nintendo to come up with a business structure that benefits all rather than have the third party developers stick to the old structure and watch their companies get bought out by competitors just because their multi-million dollar game was only able to break even.

Sure, Sony and MS can just write out checks to keep exclusive but we all know this is the short term plan that cannot fix the problem with the business costs of the industry. We need to see serious changes in the relationship between developer and console makers.

Well, me personally didn't want to get in this discussion. But I had to say something about the point you made that console makers have to make cheaper business decision when it comes to making the console so that developers make have an easier time with make the software.

First of all, take a good look at the world around you. Since Bolivar, is in the studies of history, I'm pretty sure Bolivar would agree with me when I say the world doesn't change, it progresses and evolve. What I mean by that is the fact that it wasn't long ago in the time this earth existed that the human race was using hunting tools from rocks, vegetation, and wood. And I pretty sure that came at a cost no matter how small.

Now, since that time, man has progressed more significantly. And as progression proceeds, so follows the cost of progression. Same for the very things we have created. The gaming industry is progressing. It wasn't long ago even when it only take five people to make a video game. Now, it takes hundreds of people

So, what am I getting at you say? Well, what people fail to realize is about the gaming industry is that as it progresses and the demand from consumers grow, so follows the cost of producing produce to satisfy. You can't ask Sony, or MS, or even Nintendo to tone down cost of their produces because is hard to develop for. Of course it's hard to develop for! This industry is progressing. And if your to slow to keep up, find someone that can help you stay the course. Now, I must quickly correct myself. Of course you can ask them to lower cost of there product. But that doesn't mean they'll listen. And why should they? That's like asking them to go back a generation.

With all that being said, the reason games and consoles are so expansive today is the fact that their not in the 1970s anymore. And most likely, the more expensive the game or console, the better the quality and/or quantity. Or at least it should be that way...

Jiro
07-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Does this mean us Australians get ignored again and only get the PS3 release? That blows.

I wasn't going to get a PS3 anyway, not for a long time. Because the games library doesn't appeal to me. The 360 has games I like, so I got it. Also, it was soo much cheaper, which is important for poor school kids :D

Jessweeee♪
07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I'd never heard this.

But it was never announced as a PS2 title, right? Considering it for a PS2 title was before they announced the titles originally. Just making sure I didn't miss something quite that big.

I think they started on it back in the day of FFX-2 anyway >.>

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2008, 03:09 AM
If the gamers suffer and the console producers suffer, third party developers will also eventually suffer. Each part of the industry is connected. Multi-platform releases are a short term solution to a long term problem. It treats a symptom and lets the disease rage on.

I do not believe that it's up to the developers to fix this problem. However, they cannot ignore the wound after sticking a band-aid on it. Yes, console producers need to be more considerate when making their consoles, but they also need third party support. Developers and producers are going to have to work together on these things more.

Technically, multi-platform only hurts the gamers if quality is jeopardized. Madden for instance does fairly well despite being multi-platform and part of this is due to it being a quality product (I'm using them as an example as I neither like nor play sports titles. I'm basing this on sales number alone). GTAIV and DMC4 both went multi-platform and the quality didn't really diminish in my opinion. What people point out as faults in both version tends to fall into "Fanboy OCD" which I quickly ignore cause their arguments are nothing more than mindless nitpicking. I seriously don't think FFXIII will be any different. Third party can't diminish quality or they will be hurt. I do see going multi-platform as a long term solution for third party developers and as long as they don't get lazy, the gamers will not suffer either. It only hurts the console developers in the end.

My problem with your argument overall Ouch!, is that you offer no real solution. You seem to be saying that third party developers should just stay with the old course, stay exclusive, and watch their net profits plummet. If things stay the same, third party developers may go under or end up being bought by the main console corporations. No offense, but I don't want to see SE, Capcom/Atlus, or Konami become second party developers to an exclusive console. This would give console developers the chance to become lazy and build poor gaming machines that people will buy cause its the only way they can play FFXVII and DMC8.

Granted, I understand where you are coming from and I don't want to see all my favorite titles become multi-platform. I enjoy seeing third party developers push the console's to their limits. These last few years have seen the most impressive OMG! games for the PS2. FFXII, MGS3, GoW2, and GTA:SA are all game that no one would have imagined being made on the PS2 hardware.

I see going multi-platform as a short term solution to help third party developers until console developers build a better business model to help them and in short, make everyone happy, in the long run.

Well, me personally didn't want to get in this discussion. But I had to say something about the point you made that console makers have to make cheaper business decision when it comes to making the console so that developers make have an easier time with make the software.

First of all, take a good look at the world around you. Since Bolivar, is in the studies of history, I'm pretty sure Bolivar would agree with me when I say the world doesn't change, it progresses and evolve. What I mean by that is the fact that it wasn't long ago in the time this earth existed that the human race was using hunting tools from rocks, vegetation, and wood. And I pretty sure that came at a cost no matter how small.

Now, since that time, man has progressed more significantly. And as progression proceeds, so follows the cost of progression. Same for the very things we have created. The gaming industry is progressing. It wasn't long ago even when it only take five people to make a video game. Now, it takes hundreds of people

So, what am I getting at you say? Well, what people fail to realize is about the gaming industry is that as it progresses and the demand from consumers grow, so follows the cost of producing produce to satisfy. You can't ask Sony, or MS, or even Nintendo to tone down cost of their produces because is hard to develop for. Of course it's hard to develop for! This industry is progressing. And if your to slow to keep up, find someone that can help you stay the course. Now, I must quickly correct myself. Of course you can ask them to lower cost of there product. But that doesn't mean they'll listen. And why should they? That's like asking them to go back a generation.

With all that being said, the reason games and consoles are so expansive today is the fact that their not in the 1970s anymore. And most likely, the more expensive the game or console, the better the quality and/or quantity. Or at least it should be that way...

I understand where you are coming from Typhoon and I feel I need to clarify on a few points. I feel MS and Sony need to make consoles easier and more economical for developers but I don't feel they should sacrifice quality to do so. Try to push the graphical and audio limits but build it in a way that makes game production easier for third party developers. I don't believe power is truly good unless its efficient. A powerful engine that requires lots of maintenance and high fuel costs is not as progressive as an engine that can do the same output at half the cost and less maintenance. Efficiency is another form of progression and in the long run, its better.

In my personal opinion, I feel we are beginning to see a dead end in maximizing audio/visual quality in gaming. The last few years have seen advances but not any major leaps or bounds like 10 years ago. The jump from this generation from the last is nowhere near as impressive as the one between the PS1 and the PS2. I only notice minor differences between 360 and PS3 titles and though I feel both can easily be pushed further, I doubt it will be as revolutionary as previous efforts on lesser consoles.

Console developers need to start utilizing more user friendly interface into their systems, as well as rebuild the current model of the relationship they have with third party developers. The current model may have worked 10 years ago but times have changed and lets face it, inflation is a bitch.;) They need to build a better business model that helps everyone. More efficient machines combined with a better business deal would allow third party developers to create not only more impressive next-gen games but may even allow them to create a larger volume of such titles.

Ouch!
07-23-2008, 05:09 AM

Technically, multi-platform only hurts the gamers if quality is jeopardized. Madden for instance does fairly well despite being multi-platform and part of this is due to it being a quality product (I'm using them as an example as I neither like nor play sports titles. I'm basing this on sales number alone). GTAIV and DMC4 both went multi-platform and the quality didn't really diminish in my opinion. What people point out as faults in both version tends to fall into "Fanboy OCD" which I quickly ignore cause their arguments are nothing more than mindless nitpicking. I seriously don't think FFXIII will be any different. Third party can't diminish quality or they will be hurt. I do see going multi-platform as a long term solution for third party developers and as long as they don't get lazy, the gamers will not suffer either. It only hurts the console developers in the end.

My problem with your argument overall Ouch!, is that you offer no real solution. You seem to be saying that third party developers should just stay with the old course, stay exclusive, and watch their net profits plummet. If things stay the same, third party developers may go under or end up being bought by the main console corporations. No offense, but I don't want to see SE, Capcom/Atlus, or Konami become second party developers to an exclusive console. This would give console developers the chance to become lazy and build poor gaming machines that people will buy cause its the only way they can play FFXVII and DMC8.

Granted, I understand where you are coming from and I don't want to see all my favorite titles become multi-platform. I enjoy seeing third party developers push the console's to their limits. These last few years have seen the most impressive OMG! games for the PS2. FFXII, MGS3, GoW2, and GTA:SA are all game that no one would have imagined being made on the PS2 hardware.

I see going multi-platform as a short term solution to help third party developers until console developers build a better business model to help them and in short, make everyone happy, in the long run.
I don't mean to come off as believing that there shouldn't at all be multi-platform titles. Quite a few games are suited to multi-platform releases. Sports games are a prime example.

The thing that bothers me is that it seems most of the big titles aren't staying exclusive. I don't give much of a damn for console loyalty from developers, but I think it's a problem when Final Fantasy, a game which traditionally launches on one console goes multi-platform. Big exclusives are necessary, and this industry seems to want to put big titles on as many consoles as possible to make as much money as possible. I'm hesitant to blame them, but at the same time, there has to be some kind of middle ground. I think losing the exclusivity of FFXIII shows that many companies aren't even going to attempt to find a mutually beneficial medium.

I also thought I mentioned that I think it would be important for console developers to both create more first party developers for their consoles and also more willingly work with third party developers. From what I understand, Sony especially says, "Here's the hardware, good luck!" and I think that's a problem which needs correcting.

Dragonsoul
07-23-2008, 06:04 AM
It would be funny if there was a pc port of Final Fantasy XIII! Is Xbox 360 very similar to PC?

I'm cutting back even more on the games I'm playing. I'm only playing three games for the rest of the year. I'm currently playing Final Fantasy I(PSP) and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift(DS), but I plan to upgrade my computer in a few months and get Mass Effect for it.

It would be easier for me if they had a pc port but I think this is unlikely. They are porting The Last Remnant to PC and FF VII/VIII were ported to PC, so a FF XIII has a possibility.

Grrr....I've been overloaded on Final Fantasy and Japanese rpg's in recent years. Now I'm starting to get more interested in Western Rpg's and rpg's aimed for an older audience. The result of this is my current interest in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Mass Effect. Have Final Fantasy XIII join those games on pc! :)

Shlup
07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
This will be the first Final Fantasy, other than a PC copy of FFVII, I actually own.

Bolivar
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I definately agree with you, Typhoon, I would just like to add that progress and evolution moves in different directions rather than the linear one that our society's zeitgeist would like you to believe.

This has been a good debate, and its interesting to see FFXIII spark a discussion on a larger issue.

Personally the solution I would offer, well, what I would like to see, is developers making games that take advantage of each console's specs. Like 360 games which take advantage of XBOXLive and all its features in a way the PSN can't. And have developers take advantage of blu ray and cell processors in ways that XBOX games can't. Effectively, this is already going on now, but this departure from tradition for FFXIII is a bad sign for the future.

Hyperion4444
07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
It's odd that people would believe that multi-platforming a game would result in more sales.
NGS on PS3 had over 500000 copies sold exclusif to the PS3.
DMC4 had 500000 copies sold on both system combined.
And DMC4 was released 1 year after NGS, and there were a stronger install base, on both system...

In Final Fantasy's case, they sell a minimum 7 million, always has (except for FFIX and FFXII).
So why would they need to multi-platform there game?

They don't know how much time it would take to make it on X360 nor how many DVDs it would take in order to play the game.
Considering that LO took 4 DVDs for barely 10s of hour of gameplay, Final Fantasy would easily take 7 DVDs, can you imagine the production cost and how it would play on the X360?
Enter a town, change disc, exit, change disc......
I easily see Final Fantasy XIII take up 40GB-70GB+.
If a shooter like Resistance 2 would take a full 50GB BD, then I can easily see Final Fantasy XIII take up much more than that.

Roto13
07-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Considering that LO took 4 DVDs for barely 10s of hour of gameplay, Final Fantasy would easily take 7 DVDs, can you imagine the production cost and how it would play on the X360?
Have you ever actually bought a blank DVD? They're pretty cheap. Cheaper if you're a game company who buys like millions of them at a time.

Mirage
07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
For a disc manufacturing machine, writing a DVD full with data takes about 2 seconds, and the total cost of it would be approximately $0.01 per disc.

Raebus
07-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow, that sure is expensive! The production costs alone would bankrupt a company!

Rase
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
It's odd that people would believe that multi-platforming a game would result in more sales.
NGS on PS3 had over 500000 copies sold exclusif to the PS3.
DMC4 had 500000 copies sold on both system combined.
I dunno where you're getting you're numbers, but going by VGChartz (http://vgchartz.com):
Devil May Cry 4 sold about 2.31 million combined. Link. (http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=Devil+May+Cry+4&console=&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Hits)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma sold about 560,000 on PS3.You can see 0.09 million in Japan here (http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6634), and 0.47 million US + UK sales here (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/10/best-selling-ps3-exclusive-ranks-51st-in-overall-2007-sales/)
Granted, for some reason they only have data for the US and Japan on NGS, but I doubt it sold 2 million copies everywhere else, especially since it's basically a slightly prettier Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black where you can play as a chick but can't unlock as much.

Bolivar
07-26-2008, 10:13 PM
For a disc manufacturing machine, writing a DVD full with data takes about 2 seconds, and the total cost of it would be approximately $0.01 per disc.

even less, actually (well, probably)

champagne supernova
07-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I think Square are justified to do what they're doing, as long as they don't cut any corners on the PS3 version to keep it on the Xbox. I want the full Crystal Tools engine running when I play it on my PS3, not part of it so as to not offend the Xbox people. And I don't want a short game because Xbox doesn't do Blu-ray. Thank you very much.

Judging by the noises coming out of Square, they are developing the game for the PS3 and then porting it across to the Xbox. So, the PS3 people should be happy, because FFXIII is still being developed with that system in mind. The game is just being ported across to another console.

And from a business sense, Square are correct. In Japan, it will still only be released on PS3. And in Japan, the Xbox has not gained much market share, so the PS3 is the only truly next-gen console for Square to target. But, in most places in the world, the Xbox has a substantial market share, generally slightly larger than the PS3's share. So, Square can showcase its game to more people. And who wouldn't want people to experience Final Fantasy.

As far as I'm aware, Versus is still a PS3 exclusive. And, from the trailer, Versus looks like it has the much more interesting story. It opens with a quote from Shakespeare, and is a million times moodier than the XIII trailer. Seriously, what music was playing in the first XIII trailers?

But, as I've mentioned above, I wouldn't mind if Versus was ported. As long as the game has been developed with the system that I own in mind, what difference does it make to me? I'm still going to get the best product. Square have a completely independent team doing the port, so it's not going to affect my game.

If anyone should be complaining, it should be the Xbox people. They're getting a port, yet it will probably sell more on the Xbox than on the PS3 (outside of Japan).

Roto13
07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
They said earlier that they were going to do their best to use the PS3s potential, and I don't see how a game that does that could work on the 360. I do believe quality is going to suffer because of this.

Dragonsoul
07-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Once FF XIII and FF V XIII are done they will work on FF XIV and Kingdom Hearts III probably. I wonder what platforms they will be on!

Jessweeee♪
07-29-2008, 03:18 AM
They said earlier that they were going to do their best to use the PS3s potential, and I don't see how a game that does that could work on the 360. I do believe quality is going to suffer because of this.

On the 360 version maybe...but that's no big deal...I mean it's better to have a game with really good but not quite awesome quality than no game at all :P

Roto13
07-29-2008, 04:13 AM
Not if that means they have to make the potentially awesome version less awesome for it to work on the less awesome console. :P

Jessweeee♪
07-29-2008, 04:24 AM
I don't see why they can't make one awesome and one a little less awesome...

...but what do I know about making games :spin:

Yar
07-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Not if that means they have to make the potentially awesome version less awesome for it to work on the less awesome console. :P

Something tells me everything will be okay. :)

Besides, do you really think they were going to use the Playstation 3's entire power? I think they may have just been saying that...

Either way, I'm still undecided whether I'm buying a 360 or a PS3. I'm just glad that now I have the options! :D

Roto13
07-29-2008, 05:11 AM
I think it's too early for anyone to be able to squeeze the most out of the PS3, but I think they were going to do what they could. :P Final Fantasy X didn't max out the PS2, either, but it was pretty amazing at the time.

DMKA
07-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Wow. I just heard this news today. I'm shocked. And kinda regretting buying both consoles now. XD

champagne supernova
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I know that Crystal Tools was designed for PS3, Xbox and Wii, because they didn't want to have to create or borrow an engine for each console. And, as one knows, the Wii is not (graphically-speaking) close to being as powerful as the Xbox or the PS3. From what I have read about it, they can turn on or off capabilities of the engine, dependant on what system it is playing.

So, they can still develop certain features that can only be run on the PS3, and then "turn it off" for the Xbox. Unfortunately, because they are porting it straight, they won't be able to use the Xbox's strengths. So, from what I have seen thus far, the Xbox will get an inferior version to the PS3.

I may be completely wrong, but if it does end up like this, then Sony's policy would be completely correct, as they'll be able to show that the PS3 is technically superior to the Xbox.

On a sidenote, is it true that Microsoft's gaming division is yet to turn a profit?

Rase
07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
On a sidenote, is it true that Microsoft's gaming division is yet to turn a profit?
They seem to be (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181753.html) doing just fine. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185110.html)

Roto13
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
They seem to be (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181753.html) doing just fine. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185110.html)

Yes. They turned a profit for the first and second times ever this year. Doesn't even come close to covering the money they've lost overall, though.

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
what xbox 360 strenght are you talking about?

the ps3 is simply perfect in everything, and much more...

Raebus
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Thus, the lone fan boy re-ignited the flames and may have brought life to a dying thread.

You never fail to entertain me, Hyperion.

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Thus, the lone fan boy re-ignited the flames and may have brought life to a dying thread.

You never fail to entertain me, Hyperion.

It's just a simple question that I asked what makes the 360 better, and I've yet to receive an appropriate anwser.

Flying Mullet
08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Raebus, if you're only posting to incite Hyperion4444, then don't bother.

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I am outraged by this http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif!@ WHAT IN THE smurfING WORLD IS WADA THINKING! I'M GOING TO LOS ANGELES RIGHT NOW AND PUT A BULLET THROUGH HIS HEAD! I SAW THAT PRESS CONFERENCE TOO AND HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO US!?
FIRST THEY SAY IT'S EXCLUSIVE TO THE PS3 AND NOW IT'S NOT. NOW IT'S GOING ON TO THE 360! IF THEY GET EXCLUSIVE CONTENT FOR THIS http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif I'M BLOWING UP MICROSOFT HQ AND SE'S HQ. THIS IS JUST REPULSING. Come on now, why are so many now just have to jump on the microsoft train. Is everyone too money hungry or are they afraid of some competition now!? I think microsoft might be bribing some these people. I was having a good day until this WTF Square Enix WTF?

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Can't we just be happy that the game is available to more people than it was originally going to be? I might actually get a chance to play it now, depending on when it comes, so I am a happy gamer.

DMKA
08-02-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm just worried it'll negatively affect the quality of the game. The PS3 and 360 are two very different machines, PS3 being the more capable of the two. I'm iffy on how much this is going to restrain what could of been otherwise.

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2008, 07:02 AM
What's stopping them from making one better than the other?

No biggie.

Dragonsoul
08-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Square Enix announced today that in March 2009 in Japan there will be a Blu-Ray release of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete and it will come with a demo of Final Fantasy XIII and you will need a PS 3 to play it, so that means I will buy a Playstation 3 instead of a Xbox 360! Unless other news about a Xbox 360 demo is announced. :)

Hyperion4444
08-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Yes. They turned a profit for the first and second times ever this year. Doesn't even come close to covering the money they've lost overall, though.

Depression Moon should calm himself and take a few deep breath.
All this negatif energy isn't good for him.

They've made 275 million in profits from the games but only 27 million in global profits?
How can this actually be possible?
What kind of electric bill are they paying, is it running on gas?

Cloudane
08-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Ironically, after finally getting my wish, I may end up buying a PS3 after all. I can barely hear Lost Odyssey through the sheer OMG READY FOR TAKEOFF NOISE NOISE NOISE that the 360 makes, and don't fancy my gaming experience being hampered again.

Roto13
08-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Well, I can tell you that my PS3 is pretty quiet. xP

Hyperion4444
08-09-2008, 03:25 AM
One of the main reasons I bought a PlayStation 3 was because of Final Fantasy XIII, since it was exclusif.
The others were Devil May Cry 4 (Dante Teaser), Assassin's Creed, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Blu-Ray Disc, built-in Wi-Fi, Free Online Service....
ok, no need to go into all the little details...
As long as it didn't cost 100$+ for an additional Wi-Fi for a 50$/year costy online service.
(Wi-Fi is included on the PS3)

Dragonsoul
08-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Ironically, after finally getting my wish, I may end up buying a PS3 after all. I can barely hear Lost Odyssey through the sheer OMG READY FOR TAKEOFF NOISE NOISE NOISE that the 360 makes, and don't fancy my gaming experience being hampered again.

Put the Xbox 360 in a drawer or something, cover it with a towel? This will make it too hot right? :choc2:?!

:choc2?!

Cloudane
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I think that's how people ended up getting that red ring syndrome :p

Hyperion4444
08-10-2008, 03:03 PM
lol
ouch!
Take it easy on them.

Roto13
08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I think that's how people ended up getting that red ring syndrome :p

That's how people try to get rid of it, but it's only a temporary fix.

(You can get Wi-Fi on the Wii for less than 40$,...? )

Wi-Fi is standard with the Wii. It's the regular LAN connection you have to pay extra for. xP

Hyperion4444
08-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Roto! :) ;)
I didn't knew that!
Anyway, theses Wii cards cost less than 40$, it varies with the store. (In stores I've been to)

Bolivar
08-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Wi-Fi is standard with the Wii. It's the regular LAN connection you have to pay extra for. xP

Wow.

Roto13
08-11-2008, 09:29 PM
It's like ten bucks or something. Big whoop.

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I just used Wi-Fi and didn't even know about the LAN charge >.>

Roto13
08-11-2008, 11:59 PM
It's not like paying for a service or anything. There's just nowhere to put a cable without an extra piece of hardware.

Ouch!
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM

No biggie.
Because that's likely not anywhere near an economically intelligent decision. The more differences between the two versions, the more difficult it becomes to produce. The smart business decision for SE at this point is to make the game as easy as possible to port. Making one version better than the other is just a bad business decision because it will cost SE extra money out of their pocket when they likely won't get anything more in return for the extra time, effort, and expenditure.

So yes. Biggie.

champagne supernova
08-12-2008, 05:01 PM

No biggie.
Because that's likely not anywhere near an economically intelligent decision. The more differences between the two versions, the more difficult it becomes to produce. The smart business decision for SE at this point is to make the game as easy as possible to port. Making one version better than the other is just a bad business decision because it will cost SE extra money out of their pocket when they likely won't get anything more in return for the extra time, effort, and expenditure.

So yes. Biggie.

Firstly, this is pure speculation on my part. Without knowing & understanding the full details of the Crystal Tools Engine, one cannot be certain how exactly it works.

But the one thing that is certain is that it is multi-platform. But one also knows that there are large technical differences between the Xbox 360 and the PS3, such as the 6 processors in the PS3. Seeing that the original White Engine was supposed to be able to use 4 out of the 6 processors, and that Crystal Tools is essentially the White Engine, it should be safe to assume that this functionality still exists in the White Engine.

But obviously the Xbox does not have 4, or even 6 processors, so this shouldn't be able to work on it. So, what I am guessing is that Square has created Crystal Tools with the intention that it can use certain effects/tools for one system, and turn it off for another.

My main concern is that the game might be shortened due to Xbox's lack of Blu-ray. That would really upset me.

Hyperion4444
08-12-2008, 06:45 PM
The more DVDs, the more Microsoft charges.

Yar
08-12-2008, 09:05 PM

If Microsoft wants to stay competitive with Sony, I doubt they'll charge Square much for extra discs and I doubt the Xbox version will be more expensive than the PS3 version.

Depression Moon
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
It should have just stayed on the system it was originally designed for. These complications for the other system wouldn't be an issue right now. Someone also mentioned something ridiculous to me. "The PS3 was built with the parts of the 360"

Yar
08-13-2008, 03:20 AM
How do I ignore you?

Raebus
08-13-2008, 03:22 AM
In your user CP, then go to ignore list. You aren't the first to ignore him and won't be the last.

Hyperion4444
08-13-2008, 07:16 PM

If Microsoft wants to stay competitive with Sony, I doubt they'll charge Square much for extra discs and I doubt the Xbox version will be more expensive than the PS3 version.

You're right, Microsoft SHOULDN'T charge extra.
Do anyone think that Microsoft will charge extra for extra discs?

Dreddz
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Microsoft wouldn't charge extra for a few more discs. They would probably use that money to tempt Square to fit the game on a dual layered disc. And that's never going to happen.

Bolivar
08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
^ but you gotta wonder about at what point they will.

MGS4 would've been 6 dual-layered DVD's. And that's not even a long game. We're talkin about an RPG here, if length is any indicator, not to mention in FFXIII's technical specs are greater than MGS4's, I wouldn't put it past them to make the game 2 BD's, as insane as that sounds. How many DVD's would they have to make for MS to heighten the price?

I'm not trying to spark debate, only that this is a very interesting event, the nonexclusivity of FFXIII, and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

champagne supernova
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I suppose they coud revert back to the system they had on PSone, and spread the game over several disks. I really don't care how they do it, because it won't affect me. As I've said earlier, I'll just be irritated if they shorten the game because of the porting issue.

I think MGS can't be really used as a comparison. Wasn't there one FMV that was half an hour long?

Hyperion4444
08-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Resistance 2 will take a Dual-Layer BD.

About FMV/CGs, the PS3 plays everything in real time, so there won't be any CGs on the PS3 version, just like in the trailers. There will be cutscenes like were used to, no downscaling in the PS3 version since it's all the game.

Also, Pioneer invented a 500GB BD, 20 layers, compatible with current existing Blu-Ray Disc Player. Not sure how that actually works, but it seem to work without problems. Not sure who would use a 500GB BD other than people burning Blu-Ray Discs.

All I hope is that Square-Enix implements Sixaxis Motion-Sensor in Final Fantasy XIII...

Goldenboko
08-25-2008, 03:15 AM
OMG <3

Serapy
08-25-2008, 03:18 AM
If it's going to be released on 360, then Versus XIII should do the same. It wouldn't make sense if they didn't, anyway.

There's a rumor that it will cause a delay because they will release XIII for PS3 and 360 in Europe and NA at the same time and that they haven't began working on the 360 version yet. Then again, there's another rumor that they won't release it at the same time. Gotta have to wait and see.

Goldenboko
08-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Then again, there's another rumor that they won't release it at the same time. Gotta have to wait and see.

At Microsoft's E3 2008 press conference, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced that Final Fantasy XIII will see a simultaneous release on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. How's that for big news?

:o

Serapy
08-25-2008, 03:35 AM
Gameplayer 080725 FFXIII (http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/080725-FFXIII.aspx?catid=Features)

Is he a crazy-ass-hardcore-XIII-PS3 fan boi- author? Or is he actually right?

You tell me. :) The author has made vaild points, but honestly I don't know. Since they have been working on the PS3 version for a while, so it wouldn't make sense if they have decided to release it at the same time for Europe and NA all because of the 360 version.

So I'm inclined to believe that Square Enix are on drugs, very POWERFUL drugs! Let's wait until they become sober and tell us the official announcement!

Sam250
09-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I can't say I'm completly surprised about the number of bitching Sony fanboys, but I am surprised that I'm not surprised; after all, despite the number of rabid Sony fans on other forums that use Final Fantasy to justify the PS3, Final Fantasy wasn't always a Sony exclusive, so I was prepared to see that the actual Final Fantasy fans might take the news a little more level-headedly.

I could turn this into a whole thing concerning the distubution of games and how a multi-console system will always be bad for the market, and that any steps towards multiplatform games (or, indeed, digital distubution) is a step in the right direction, but I'll save you the rant. All I'll point out is that now more people can expiriance Final Fantasy XIII, and in my books that is a good thing.

Can't hurt Squares profit margins either :D

Bolivar
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Then again, there's another rumor that they won't release it at the same time. Gotta have to wait and see.

At Microsoft's E3 2008 press conference, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced that Final Fantasy XIII will see a simultaneous release on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. How's that for big news?

:o

Keyword = "Rumor"

Gameplayer 080725 FFXIII

Is he a crazy-ass-hardcore-XIII-PS3 fan boi- author? Or is he actually right?

You tell me. The author has made vaild points, but honestly I don't know. Since they have been working on the PS3 version for a while, so it wouldn't make sense if they have decided to release it at the same time for Europe and NA all because of the 360 version.

So I'm inclined to believe that Square Enix are on drugs, very POWERFUL drugs! Let's wait until they become sober and tell us the official announcement!

The differences between the two systems are much more distinct than possibly any generation has been. Games optimized for the XBOX360 cannot be ported to the PS3, for RAM reasons, and the opposite is true, for processing reasons. Well, they can be ported, just with significant cuts and alterations in the design, which can ultimately result in the transition falling apart.

So, FFXIII would not be the first game to hit a brick wall during the porting. Nomura stated it would "take full advantage of the PS3", so with the above information, it's really in doubt. I'm wondering if the development team actually did research into whether the game could be ported, or if Yoichi Wada got all excited and said "$$$$$$$$!!!" Not to mention the fact that the team working on XIII probably has little knowledge of the 360. Again, it's alot of questions and it's interesting to see how this unique generation plays out.

Serapy
09-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, it's a bit like a hiccup. I'm pretty sure that most PS3 owners have felt the same. They are expected to play XIII early when it comes out, and now, they have found out that the whole thing is going to be delayed again due to the 360 porting.

Damn, I wish I knew Japanese, so that I can buy the Japanese version when it comes out. There's a confirmation that XIII is exclusive only to PS3 in Japan. Lucky, aren't they!?

Bolivar
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
More like selfish!