PDA

View Full Version : OMG Centipede!

Yar
07-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Where's the barfy emoticon when you need it?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/House_centipede.jpg

These little bastards crawl up our pipes and into the sink or the shower. They are so disgusting and paralyze me at sight.

They do good things like eating silverfish and such, but damn they are creepy. I'd rather have hundreds of spiders crawl on me than one of these horrors.

Are there any nuisances that you get in your house or immediately outside of it?

Also, I didn't take this pic. It's courtesy of Wikipedia, of course!

escobert
07-15-2008, 04:01 AM
we have little sugar ants. it sucks but nothing major.

Momiji
07-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Meh, I was hoping this would be about the arcade game.

Anyway, we get spiders a lot.

I haaaaaaaate spiders. ;-;

rubah
07-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Summer before last I was innocently brushing my teeth when this CENTIPEDE egressed our sink drain.

I died. I mean I killed it and just kinda flipped out.

Then, a couple of weeks later at stu's house, we were up late reading his Gunslinger comic when we noticed there was a spider on the ceiling @_@

and then later, more spiders. They didn't stop coming out until we smashed one and left it as a dread omen to their species.

then a few days ago, a BEETLE crawled out of my sink. I killed it too.

THEN saturday morning, I woke up at 5am, took a drink of my water because I was so thirsty, and SOMETHING hit my lips. I freaked out. Looked at it, and thought 'omg, a toad.'
I spat the water out (had been keeping it the entire time) and dumped the cup's contents out on the back porch steps. rinsed my mouth, got a new cup, went to bed a little worried, wished I could breathe through my nose so nothing would crawl into my warm moist mouth whilst asleep.

well I got up saturday morning, checked for toads in my cup and quenched my thirst. Then I decided I had to come to terms with my nighttime happenings. Was the toad dead? It hadn't moved in my cup. Had my dog drug it off?

I looked on the step and it was one of my scrunchies, still damp.

Vermachtnis
07-15-2008, 04:42 AM
I have the same reaction rubah does. When I see a bug I kill. I mean I see the bug and I have to smush it! SMUSH IT TO GOO! I spray it with scrubbing bubbles. That's just awesome.

Woodinator
07-15-2008, 04:59 AM
We get spiders sometimes....and I'm deathly afraid of them. I'll never forget the time one dropped down in front of my face when I was shaving. O_o

We had mice once too so we trapped them and let them go. It was fun to see the contest between my mom and my cat to see who could catch the most though :P

Shoeberto
07-15-2008, 05:10 AM
Incidentally, we just had a bat in the house. First time that's ever happened.

Rengori
07-15-2008, 06:04 AM
That doesn't look like a centipede to me...

Also, I thought it was gonna be about the arcade game too.

Yar
07-15-2008, 06:07 AM
That doesn't look like a centipede to me...

Also, I thought it was gonna be about the arcade game too.

Oh, really? What, then, does a centipede look like?

Just because it doesn't have 50 pairs of legs doesn't mean it isn't a centipede...

This species is called a "house centipede."

Rengori
07-15-2008, 06:13 AM
I was under the impression they looked like this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Centipede.jpg

Bunny
07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
In the last month or so, I have captured and released two centipedes from my girlfriend's home. The suckers are pretty quick and they do not like going into boxes that much. I have also killed at least three dozen spiders of various species, including one that crawled out from underneath the pillow that I sleep on, about five seconds after I got up out of bed. My girlfriend let out a pretty good scream of "Oh my god!" I have also killed my fair share of beetles, flies, wasps, and mosquitoes.

I don't really have a problem with bugs. When I was a little kid, I used to gather centipedes, millipedes, and scorpions from around my small desert town and put them in an jar I called "The Arena of Death". Then I would shake the jar to get them angry so they would fight and ultimately kill one another. Oddly enough, the scorpions were usually the ones to die first.

Dynast-Kid
07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
OMFG! Rubah's house sounds scary as hell! ;_______;

I smurfing hate bugs. I hate them with a deep, deep hatred from the darkest and blackest depths of my soul. Ants are okay, as in the sense of "I don't like them, they're just really annoying", unlike the grosser bugs.

My house gets a lot of crickets though. Not like an infestation, but every once in the while you can find one in the bathtub, or under the sink and such. I usually try and get one of my sisters to try and kill it, because crickets are gross and those sons of biznatches can JUMP. One morning I woke up and there was a cricket on my head! :cry:

Spiders are the absolute worse though! One time a spider crawled across my keyboard, and I almost started crying! And just the other day I discovered a spider crawling up my leg! I did tear up that time. Spiders are disgusting, and I want them all dead.

The Camel Spider is the single most disgusting and vile creature I have ever read about, or seen pictures of.

Proxy
07-15-2008, 07:17 AM
i killed something like that. I was at my friends house, a bunch of us were drinking, outside and then everyone was all "eeeek mat lookit that effin bug by your head" i turned around looked at it "aww he's cute *smush*" i punched it.
Got alot of laughs that night ha.
but i hate those creepy assholes.

Big D
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
The Camel Spider is the single most disgusting and vile creature I have ever read about, or seen pictures of.Virtually everything you read about camel spiders is a lie or an exaggeration. They don't weigh ten pounds, they can't run as fast as a Hummer, and they don't hide in your shadow before biting fist-sized chunks out of your leg:p

I've never seen a centipede quite like the one from Wikipedia that Yaridovich posted. In my neighbourhood, they've usually got short legs and uniformly dark bodies.

There're relatively few 'nuisances' among the fauna around my home. Flies, for the most part. There are mice too, but none inside the house.

Dynast-Kid
07-15-2008, 07:49 AM
The Camel Spider is the single most disgusting and vile creature I have ever read about, or seen pictures of.Virtually everything you read about camel spiders is a lie or an exaggeration. They don't weigh ten pounds, they can't run as fast as a Hummer, and they don't hide in your shadow before biting fist-sized chunks out of your leg:p

Haha, yeah I know alot of the stuff about Camel Spiders that people write about on the Internet is false, but it's still a creepy animal. And they can run up to 10 mph, which is faster than alot of people can, and they're nasty and freaky as can be!

Tallulah
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I have quite a few spiders lurking in my house. They don't bother me. In fact, the first thing I did when I moved in was rescue a spider from the bathtub.

I did have a slug problem a couple of days ago. I was lying on the floor in front of the computer, and I felt a tickle on my right elbow, to find a disgusting slug next to me!

I ran to the kitchen, found the salt, and dumped it over the vile thing... :mad:

Dolentrean
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
God damn ninjas seem to be waiting for me every time I try to leave my damned house!

Oh well, at least it keeps things interesting...

Iceglow
07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Most humans have a primordial sense of fear when it comes to bugs, I believe it's because they're so alien to humans. Also it's a known fact that we're spiders as big as the domestic moggy humanity could well be on the way towards extinction. The most poisonous spider of all however is apparently the common garden spider, the reason why it's harmless to humans however is that it's madibles are so weak they cannot puncture even a single layer of human skin. I usually leave 1 or 2 spiders in the house to get rid of moths/flies ect but I am blindingly disturbed by the abomination of nature that is the Daddy Longlegs, these creatures have the body of a spider and worse, can fly they're also just ewwwwwwwww in terms of flying I shudder at the thought of them. Mosquitos annoy me too because I hate being bitten.

Miriel
07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Last night, I didn't go to sleep until 6AM because every time I closed my eyes, I'd feel a little sting and wake up to find yet another bug bite. I have like 15 bites on me right now.

So I sat with the lights on just staring and staring until the sun came up and then I finally went to sleep. Dunno why bugs don't bite during the day, and they only come out to bother me in the night.

Eiko Guy
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I have weird responses to bugs. Woke up and stood up there was a bug on the wall right next to me so of course I punched it and ran to sit in a chair with my feet off the floor.

Roaches ants flies all can be punched stomped or snatched out of the air. But spiders and flying bugs with stingers must be ran from!

Vyk
07-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Centipedes have different species in the north and south (and probably other parts of the world). They're different sizes and pose different. Most northern states have the small thin hair-ball looking centipedes. The south has the more snake kind with stingers on the front. Usually a lot larger too. Thicker and less legs

But neither are really a bug to be scared of

I try not to be afraid of bugs. I don't like centipedes in the least. Spiders I have mixed feelings about. At work I usually try to save them. One of the girls there with a bleeding heart and phobia of bugs yelled for me to help her once. To get a spider. Then as soon as I moved to assess the situation she yelled "Don't kill it!". Which I really had no intention of doing. I put my hand down and let it crawl onto me. She ran away screaming :( I just walked outside and shook my hand

Centipedes and wasps are really the only creatures that give me goosebumps. Hornets too but I almost never have to deal with them

Very glad I never have to face down one of these puppies

http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

On a scale of pain inflicted by insects. This little baby ranked the highest for fastest most painful after-effects. Ranking quite a bit above even fire ants and the like

A desert wasp known as the Tarantula Hawk

Be afraid :P

Deborah
07-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I HATE June Bugs with a passion! Two nights already this summer I lost sleep to them, sneaky meanies! I hear them flying, turn on the light and they hide, took me forever to kill them. They would even fly and hit me in my sleep, gross.:(

Also, one time at my grandparents house in Chicago I saw one of those horrible centipedes! I almost died.

Randgris
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Roaches. Especially flying ones. I'm terrified of them.

http://www.ozane.com/images/pestprofileimages/browncockroach.jpg

Just looking at the pic make go *shiver*

Dynast-Kid
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Sunspider.jpg/398px-Sunspider.jpg

It haunts my dreams. ;___;

Vyk
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I forgot mandibles were kind of a type of leg so its sometimes possible for spiders to have five sets of legs instead of four

rubah
07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Oh, I didn't mention the winter we found a black widow on one of our banana trees we were keeping inside so they didn't freeze. then that summer, my mom found a bunch of baby black widows in the pump house (not connected to the house, thankfully).

And there are always a million red wasps and dirt daubbers flying around, wolf spiders laying low in the house, mosquitos, ticks, gnats, chiggers outside etc.

don't categorize me as a bug killer though, because I try to only kill the ones that are poisonous/harmful (non-wolf/garden spiders, red wasps, centipedes) or the ones that freak. me. out (weird beetles coming at my face).

I used to be able to pick up daddy longlegs without flinching, but I can't anymore, but I still throw them outside;.; sometimes they lose a leg ;o

Dynast-Kid
07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh, I didn't mention the winter we found a black widow on one of our banana trees we were keeping inside so they didn't freeze. then that summer, my mom found a bunch of baby black widows in the pump house (not connected to the house, thankfully).

And there are always a million red wasps and dirt daubbers flying around, wolf spiders laying low in the house, mosquitos, ticks, gnats, chiggers outside etc.

don't categorize me as a bug killer though, because I try to only kill the ones that are poisonous/harmful (non-wolf/garden spiders, red wasps, centipedes) or the ones that freak. me. out (weird beetles coming at my face).

I used to be able to pick up daddy longlegs without flinching, but I can't anymore, but I still throw them outside;.; sometimes they lose a leg ;o

OMFG. @____@ *dies*

When I see any sort of bug, my first instinct it "SQUASH KILL KILL!". xD

Bunny
07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
On a scale of pain inflicted by insects. This little baby ranked the highest for fastest most painful after-effects. Ranking quite a bit above even fire ants and the like

The most painful bite from an insect is from the bullet ant, appropriately named because the bite feels like being shot with a bullet. It's also described as "walking over flaming coals with a three inch rusty nail in your heel".

But yeah, tarantula wasps are horrid. Quite pretty though.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't recall that one. Musta been missed in the study I read. Or they were taking a different aspect. Never heard of it. Sounds interesting

I guess they're in the same league. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index) Fascinating o_o

Dude! I just did some little research 'cause y'all got me curious on bug stuff. Apparently there's a species of wasp that has a very accute sense of smell that can be trained to "sniff" out narcotics and explosives

fire_of_avalon
07-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I thought I would be at least mildly okay in this thread until someone posted the cockroach. I hate centipedes but I can handle them. With cockroaches I just scream and cry.

Rengori
07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Sunspider.jpg/398px-Sunspider.jpg

I thought McCain haunted your dreams.

Big D
07-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Out in the forest, I once came across a Puriri moth... totally harmless, but I know some people who are terrified or disgusted when it comes to moths. Anyway, the Puriri is an enormous, vivid green fellow who's as large as an adult's palm, and sometimes even bigger. Pretty cool.

Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington, NZ - Puriri Moth (http://www.maorishowbands.co.nz/TePapa/English/Galleries/CollectionHighlights/InsectsSpidersandSimilar/PuririMoth.htm)

Meow
07-16-2008, 03:18 AM
this thread gives me the heebie jeebies

Dynast-Kid
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I agree, Meow! This thread is C R E E P Y.

I thought McCain haunted your dreams.

I once had a dream about John McCain riding on the back of a giant Camel Spider.

I've had to go to counseling ever since. ;___;

The Unknown Guru
07-20-2008, 02:57 AM
I live in a log house of sorts, so we get tons of vermin inside. My room, being in the corner of the house(oh no the internet knows where I sleep!), gets the worst of it. I usually get at least one quarter-sized spider every week, which I promptly dispose of with my trusty flyswatter.

However, I've had much, much worse things in my room. For about 3 days straight, I heard a freaky scuffling noise behind my dresser... a day after a mouse we were hunting mysteriously disappeared.

The worst by far was when I was reading in my room at about 1:00 a.m. last summer, and I heard a really loud noise coming from a gap between my dresser and my wall. It sounded exactly like somebody typing. However, it was then that I remembered I have a wood floor... and the "typing" noise was emanating from a 6-inch-long centipede scuttling across the room. I smashed it with a nearby magazine (it was WAY too big for my flyswatter), but I still remember the sickening crunch and the sight of the magazine covered in juice and exoskeleton.

mooglebunni608
07-20-2008, 04:45 AM
I had to pick green beans today, and the plants were COVERED in daddy long legs. I was so freaked out I barely got half a bucket filled before I basically ran inside screaming. >(

I don't like bugs.

~*~Celes~*~
07-20-2008, 05:34 AM
I. HATE. BUGS!

The only kinds of bugs I'm ok with are lightning bugs (also called fireflies by some) and bumblebees. Spiders, June bugs, roaches...*shuddershuddershudder*

Zeldy
07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I think I would actually cry if I saw one of those, the only centipedes I see are the little cute ones ;_;

and luckily nothing has ever crawled through our sink/tap, I have never heard of that before though xD We get the odd tiny spider in the bath which I drown, ofcourse.

It's these things that haunt me in the early Summer months:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/118/296713721_e5af00bff2.jpg?v=0
I swear right, I'd rather endure the heat of having all of my windows firmly shut than let one of these fly around my room. They make a horrible noise when they fly, and one got in once and at 3am I got my Dad to kill it, but my Dad just told me he'd killed it as he was tired and couldn't find it. So I was hiding behind my duvet and it went quiet so I peeped a look out of curiosity and then I felt it on my face. I screamed so loud and ran out crying xD

Vyk
07-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Looks like a crane fly

They appear like giant mosquitos, but I'm pretty sure they're harmless

There's a slang for them here. People call them gallynappers (or however its spelled). And the myth is that they ARE giant mosquitos and leave huge welts

Pfft. The things people believe

He just wanted to show you some love! Give him a kiss :D :D

Edit: Weird. They're one of the three insects freferred to as daddy long legs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly) (I knew of 2)

The others being this guy:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Pholcus.phalangioides.6908.jpg/250px-Pholcus.phalangioides.6908.jpg

And this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Harvestmen_Close_Macro.jpg/180px-Harvestmen_Close_Macro.jpg

Last one beng what I refer to as a Daddy Long Legs :}

daggertrepe
07-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Flies creep me out. Little buggers are just so nasty.

Mogi
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I love daddy long-legs XD
When I lived with my mom, they were EVERYWHERE, so I'd fill up like these container tops with fruit juice and smush up a tiny piece of orange and put it by them and they would eat it.
Not even kidding.

My friend is deathly afraid of bugs. Once, while we were cleaning my mom's pool, I noticed this GIANT fly thing. It was seriously like four inches long and at least an inch wide. It was all green and shiny.
When we got close to it, it flew up and hit him in the side of the head and he started screaming and smacking himself and fell in the pool.
It was great.
He went on that night about how he could feel something moving in his ear and how he thought "that bug thing" laid eggs in his head.

daggertrepe
07-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Gosh. I am THAT deathly afraid of flies.

Don't tell me that's not gross!

http://www.microscope-microscope.org/gallery/Kenn/More2/BB%20fly%20supermacro-2.JPG

Bunny
07-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Flies poop every time they land.

Vyk
07-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Flies poop every time they land.

And it tastes real good

Nominus Experse
07-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Bot flies (or any fly really, but bot flies are the worst) are the only things that make me cringe. Search Google images and you'll see why this is so.

Additionally, they lay their eggs on mosquitos, so whenever those blasted things land on you, there is a chance that bot fly larva will erupt, entering the bite. And then they feed off you within your body's lower layers of skin and mucous membranes. Eventually, they create a pupae that emerges from the skin.

Bot flies have been found in eyes, necks, backs, brains, noses, anywhere.

THEY smurfING MAKE YOU A SPAWNING GROUND OF smurfING SICK http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifS.

Other than bot flies, I love insects of all sorts - even camel spiders (which aren't technically insects but meh, whatever)