PDA

View Full Version : E3 2008: Sony Official Thread

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh geez, seeing as no one was going to make it I thought I'd just bite the bullet.

The Big Stuff

Buzz! coming to PSP and PS3
Gran Turismo TV coming out on August 1st for GT5: Prologue
Playstation Network movie service added tonight.
Resistance for PSP
Valkyrie Chronicles coming to PSP
God of War III trailer
New IP called MAG which is a massive action game.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Alright, Come on Sony. Surprise us...

Vyk
07-15-2008, 07:36 PM
When does it start? I forget

Dreddz
Ok its starting...

Egami
E3 Live Video - Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony Press Conferences - GameSpot (http://e3.gamespot.com/live.html)

Starting now...

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Holy http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif that Resistance 2 looks intense!!!:cool:

Raebus
07-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Sony is as arrogant as always.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
A Little Big Planet presentation. Clever...

Raebus
07-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I like some of the PS3 games but I don't see whats good about Little Big Planet.

Not too impressed so far.

JKTrix
07-15-2008, 08:03 PM
awww sackboy

130 PS2 titles in 2008. Lots of multiplatform stuff, but Yakuza2 is in there. Yey Yakuza

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
This isn't looking too great S:

Flashy, at least.

Raebus
07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Thank god they aren't going on about PS2 games too much, and are instead focusing on PS3 games.

KentaRawr!
07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
What's with the massive gloating during each E3 Conference? Jeez laweez...

Raebus
07-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Sony + Arrogant = Gloating

?

Shoeberto
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM
They're there to talk up their product. Everyone's allowed to gloat. It's just PR.

I keep hoping all this talk about PSN downloads is him working towards downloadable PS2 games, but no dice so far...

Vyk
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM
How many times can someone say exclusive. I think this FF thing hurt him :/

Other than that I can't really say much. Interesting stuff. Nintendo quality innovation. Apparently they're taking notes. But nothing OMG that just has to be had..

Rachet an Clank looked good. But.. Sock Boy? Rag Doll Kung Fu? xD

Interesting but meh :(

KentaRawr!
07-15-2008, 08:19 PM
All 3 of them went on about sales in the beginning, and how well they're doing in the gaming business. I find it ridiculous.

Roto13
07-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Do something interesting, dammit.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Home looks so hot. Hurry up and drop it!

Vyk
07-15-2008, 08:23 PM
That Home community thing looked pretty awesome. But might just be kinda gimicky. Who knows. Has merit and potential

Karellen
07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I keep going to skip ahead, only to remember that you can't.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Haha

I know they have to let the users know about networking and downloadable content stuff. But its so standard its barely worth going into detail for. But that's counter productive. Lose/lose

At least now we're going into PSP. Something mildly interesting

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Nice! Movie Content launches tonight!:cool:

Vyk
07-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I realize this is tandard since its happening in the west, but I find it odd that Sony is focusing so much on western style games and content. I can understand Microsoft doing it since they -are-western. But Sony was usually good about bringing the east to the west

JKTrix
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
VALKYRIA PSP WOT

Roto13
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Valkyria Chronicles PSP? Srsly? :P Awesome.

Roto13
07-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I wanna punch Jim Lee in the neck.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I wanna punch Jim Lee in the neck.

Lol, he's cocky:rolleyes2

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Dc Universe Online look very cool...:cool:

Shoeberto
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
DC Universe Online: Do Not Care

Seriously, who even likes DC except for Batman?

Also, the new 80gb core pack better have some damn PS2 BC and not just more storage. Else I'll be miffed :(

Roto13
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
They said it'd have the same functionality as the 40 gig, so I wouldn't hold my breath. There's already an 80 gig with BC.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Wooow

GoWIII!:cool:
and Infamous.

And here's the lost money shot!

Vyk
07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
That Prototype-looking inFamous looked interesting

GoW doesn't do it for me anymore :( and that didn't show anything

Edit: MAG killed my feed xD

I give up. Time to go feed my face

er wait no, it fired up again...

Edit2: Yay its done. FOOD

I'm not impressed but I'm not going to rag on them. They don't seem as crippled as everyone was worried they'd be :]

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
MAG looks pretty good...:cool:

Shoeberto
07-15-2008, 09:06 PM
The current 80gb isn't being consistently produced like the 40gb, though. Once the initial batch of bundles ran out that was about it.

But yeah... him saying that thing about the same feature set isn't making me very hopeful.

Hmm... a little disappointing, but nowhere near the scale of disappointment from Nintendo. Some good stuff coming (Resistance 2 looks amazing).

TyphoonThaReapa
07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Amen to that. Resistance looks great!

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
God of War III was a complete let down. I want gameplay, not a CG trailer. Still my most anticipated game out of the conference.

MAG sounds interesting but not my type of game. Resistance 2 actually looked surprisingly good. But still not my type of game.

A let-down overall as nothing was announced that floored me. But better than Nintendo and maybe Microsoft.

Vyk
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I've always felt sorry for Nintendo fans, regardless. But that's a little misguided on my part since I don't really even like Mario Zelda or Metroid anymore. So they're probably not as bad off as I feel they are. But yeah. Sony's giving a little more to look forward to at least. But as stated elsewhere I'm sure Nintendo can fix that later

XxSephirothxX
07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I thought Sony's was the most personable and least annoying of the three, although they didn't have much in terms of exciting stuff to show off. The Little Big Planet presentation was great, but the thing sure draaaaged for a long time after that.

It's nice they at least acknowledged new stuff coming next year. Infamous looks good, and GoW III will doubtless be awesome.

MAG sounds like http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, too. Just a prerendered video, which isn't really a problem, but 256 people? Assuming they can even handle designing something of that scope, I don't see your average broadband connections being able to handle that when there are tons of games out there that regularly lag with 2, 4, or 8 people playing.

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Jack Tretton is actually alright compared to other PR spokesman. That women for Nintendo had to be the worst.

Yey Yakuza
I knew you'd be the only one to give a damn other than me. Yakuza 2 is gonna be sweet.

Roto13
07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
E3 sucks this year</endtransmission>

EDIT: Jack Tretton looked like he was going to lose control of his bowels.

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Every conference was disappointing in my opinion. Only the FFXIII announcement for 360 was something we'd all remember.

Oh and Eternal Sonata also got confirmed for a release outside of Japan. Definitely good for RPG starved PS3 owners.

XxSephirothxX
07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Jack Tretton joking about his bi-annual workout regime and making fun of a dead guy makes him a far more entertaining host than Jeff Bell or that Nintendo woman who was just awful. Although it's a shame that he didn't have much funny to say after the first five minutes. :p

Roto13
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
It did? I didn't even notice that. That actually makes me very happy. xP

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
It did? I didn't even notice that. That actually makes me very happy. xP

When they were announcing PS3 titles there was a snippet from Eternal Sonata which wouldn't be shown if it wasn't going to be released outside of Japan. I think 95% of people missed it.

Krelian
07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Valkyria Chronicles for PSP was the most interesting part of their conference XD Overall it was still ok though, way better than the disappointment that was the Nintendo press conference...

Moon Rabbits
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
No Prototype?

Infamous + Little Big Planet = Excitement.

KentaRawr!
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Something I didn't like was how when the fat man stopped talking, a thin person went on about the size of things, like that 300 foot tall monster. I kept on thinking, "size isn't everything" the whole time, and then MAG, while sounding pretty cool, gave me the same thought. Simply because it's bigger, doesn't mean it's better. It means it will wow you.

Rase
07-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Resistance 2 looks very nice indeed, and Valkyria Chronicles on PSP just makes me wish I could afford one and the games I want on it even more... While all in all not astounding by any means, still a decent conference relative to the others.

Krelian
07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Damnit, I just read that the footage shown of Valkyria Chronicles may have been a mistake on Sony's part and wasn't supposed to be in the PSP trailer. In other words, maybe there won't be a Valkyria Chronicles for PSP after all :/ I hope that's not true.

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I dont know how they could mess up that much. And to be honest it would be pretty obvious if it was PS3 footage. I wonder whether it is the exact same game as the PS3 version or a side story.

Krelian
07-15-2008, 11:10 PM
It's confirmed now: IGN: E3 2008: PSP Sizzle Reel Titles (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/889/889823p1.html)

NOTE: The PlayStation 3 game Valkyria Chronicles was shown at the event as a PSP title, but this was a mistake by Sony -- SEGA confirmed that this footage is from the PS3 game and there are no plans currently to announce a PlayStation Portable version of this gameThanks a lot, Sony >_<

Dreddz
07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Thats messed up. But less messed up than it was was actually announced for PSP so I'm not surprised.

JKTrix
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Was fun while it lasted :P A PSP version would be interesting though.

Roto13
07-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Ok, that's pretty dumb right there.

Croyles
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Hmm DC Universe Online? Great idea but it looked pretty awful!

I am really getting hyped for inFamous. It sounds amazing!

US, July 15, 2008 - We haven't heard much about inFamous since its debut trailer was shown at last year's E3, but all that is changing this week as Sucker Punch and Sony are planning on blowing the cover off of one of the PlayStation 3's biggest upcoming titles. We fired off a ton of questions to Nate Fox, game director over at Sucker Punch, to find out about the game. Here's what he had to tell us:

IGN: How does the game begin? What can you tell us about the story and Cole's history? Who exactly are you up against?

Nate Fox: The game begins as Empire City is rocked by a large explosion. Cole is a city messenger, who delivers a package to the epicenter just a few moments before the blast. Unlike others in the vicinity of the blast, Cole survives and escapes the collapsing city center. Why he survived, who's behind the blast, and what has changed within Cole, those are key plot points along the way to unraveling the story of inFamous.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/889/889368/infamous-20080714071347573-000.jpg

IGN: How much choice do you have in being good or evil? Is it on the scale of Knights of the Old Republic, where your actions carry over for the length of the game?

Nate Fox: We don't think of good and evil as binary choices in the narrative the player makes. It's not like you come to the point in the script where must press Circle to rescue the trapped baby, or press Triangle to apprehend the carjacker. Instead you are playing through the game deciding how at each moment you want to proceed. If you lob grenades across the street, you'll probably harm some civilians along with the thugs there. Maybe that's the choice you make, maybe not. Similarly, the civilians don't just have a love or hate relationship with Cole, each person and each small neighborhood in the city has a unique relationship with Cole, and they'll act that out during gameplay.

IGN: Are you able to control your powers to just knock people out instead of killing them if you wish to play the good angle?

Nate Fox: Absolutely. The hero has a variety of powers- some are surgical, some are not lethal, doing the minimum amount of damage to incapacitate the enemy; some are brutal, leading to overkill moments and lots of collateral damage. The choice of which to use and when is up to the player. They'll just have to live with the consequences.

IGN: What sorts of powers will players have access to through the game?

Nate Fox: Probably the best way to characterize it without being overly specific right now is to think in groups. There are pure offensive powers (smaller bolts, lightning strikes) which you can see in the videos. There are electro-kinetic powers (blasts and grenades) and there are heroic powers (shock-healings, arrests). There will of course be more than the list here, but I'm just trying to give you the basic groupings now.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/889/889368/infamous-20080714071351839-000.jpg

IGN: With regards to electricity, does he control it or simply generate it without a direct target?

Nate Fox: A good way to think of it is Cole is developing command of electricity. He's not an intrinsic source of energy, but he's able to manipulate it quite effectively.

IGN: Given that this is essentially a superhero game, does that mean that we're going to see some over-the-top boss battles?

Nate Fox: Enthusiastically YES! We think having incredible villains is core to this genre. …and that's all I can say for now.

IGN: How does movement play into the overall mechanics? How easy is it to leap around from wall to rooftop to light post?

Nate Fox: Pre-blast, Cole's passion was urban exploring. He's got excellent climbing and athletic skills; climbing up a face of a building, leaping across rooftops, and jumping from a light post to the elevated train tracks are all things Cole can effortlessly execute. We've worked really hard to try to make the climbing and movements all feel great, and we're excited with where we are.

IGN: How immersive and full is the world? Will you see people going about their business, like you might in Grand Theft Auto?

Nate Fox: We have a team of guys who are working on that specific area! It's not just "going about their business" to add flavor for flavors sake though. The entire city is built up from objects the citizens can use and interact with. When you enter new areas of the city, the civilians are unhappy and desperate – you'll find them digging through trash, sleeping on the streets. As the tide turns in the city, their behaviors will all change. This all is one of the most important and visible parts of making you feel heroic or villainous.

IGN: How destructible is the city?

Nate Fox: When you get done fighting in the street it'll often look as if a tornado has torn through the place --it's very satisfying. But really the city is more than just destructible... it's completely wired for electricity and conduction. It's also completely climbable and useful for combat.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/889/889368/infamous-20080714071435823-000.jpg

IGN: Do other characters in the game have powers like Cole, or is he one-of-a-kind?

Nate Fox: I'm going to politely duck this question in terms of specifics, but we certainly think it would be a very boring game if Cole didn't meet any powerful enemies.

IGN: How does the power progression work, and how are new abilities introduced to players?

Nate Fox: We will be discussing that in the near future.

IGN: inFamous has drawn a lot of comparisons to Prototype. What makes inFamous stand out against its competition?

Nate Fox: This is probably a question for me to ask you!

IGN: Being that Cole's powers look to be largely electric in nature, does that mean that water is a hazard to him?

Nate Fox: Not a bad guess. Not that I'm confirming anything….

IGN: What sort of cool whiz-bang visual tricks are we going to see? Are you implementing pro-pixel leatherization diffusion?

Nate Fox: I think the most important "visual trick" isn't really a trick at all. It's building the technology and artwork necessary to create an incredibly detailed urban landscape. Buildings are detailed down to the last window frame, lighting sconce and storefront. Of course this is necessary for us because you're climbing all over everything! Oh, I guess the other "trick" is that we're using a somewhat unusual lighting model called Deferred Shading. That makes it possible for us to have any and every light in the scene moving, flickering, or changing colors. It's not just the headlights on all cars, it's also the power grid turning on and off, and Cole destroying individual pieces of the lighting setup.

IGN: Could Cole beat Batman? (You can answer Adam West vs. Michael Keaton vs. Christian Bale as separate answers if you'd like)

Nate Fox: Cole certainly has a larger arsenal of powers than Batman, but … he's Batman. Let's just say I'd pay a lot of money to read the graphic novel that had that battle in it!

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/889/889368/infamous-20080714071433995-000.jpg

IGN: Why the shift from the family-friendly Sly Cooper to a much darker theme?

Nate Fox: First, we'd worked for 6 years on Sly, and we were ready for a change. However, I think the technology and pipeline we've built for inFamous will make a stunningly great Sly Cooper title if the time ever arrives!

IGN: What movies, comics or anything else has inspired elements of the game?

Nate Fox: Batman: No Man's Land. DMZ graphic novels. Grounded superhero movies (e.g. Batman Begins).

IGN: Are there going to be scattered secrets through the game to find to encourage replayability?

Nate Fox: It would be crazy for us to build a super richly detailed city and not hide at least some items in our favorite places!

Dreddz
07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I never had much interest in inFamous till after the trailer at Sony's conference. Definitely looking forward to seeing some gameplay.

Vyk
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I never -heard- of it. But I'll definitely give it its props. I lost some interest in Prototype a while ago. This one looks a bit more interesting

JKTrix
07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I'd generally been ignoring it all this time, but when I saw the trailer for it during the conference I got vibes of Crackdown and Psi-Ops. That's enough for me to be interested.

Edit: Playstation Network Exclusive: Xam'd: Lost Memories (Anime)
YouTube - BONEN NO XAMDOU (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2mtlZxglCM0&fmt=18)

http://i25.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/28jfvh1.jpg
Wow. I have been looking forward to this anime for some time now. It looks awesome. But I can't watch it. Meh.
The first episode is on the PSN right now. SD for $2, HD for $4. It's *only* out in the US, on the PSN now. It doesn't show in Japan until fall.

PSN Exclusive.

Madame Adequate
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Nothing particularly interesting here either, tbh. Though I am keeping an eye on that MAG game and inFamous could be pretty great if it goes right. Not quite as disasterous fail as Nintendo, but honestly only one company had any remotely interesting announcements this year.

Dreddz
07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Not quite as disasterous fail as Nintendo, but honestly only one company had any remotely interesting announcements this year.

Sony's was better than Microsoft's. Other than the FFXIII announcement Microsoft's was pretty bad. At least Sony kept their focus on games throughout mostly. Microsoft went for too long on their video service and dashboard update. Plus stupid stuff like Lips, Game quizzes and their Mii knock-offs.

Croyles
07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Video of Killzone 2 multiplayer: (looks just as good as singe player!!!! which is damn gorgeous btw!)

N4G.com : GameSpot Video: Killzone 2 E3 2008 Stage Show Demo (http://www.n4g.com/events_e32008/NewsCom-171051.aspx?CT=1#Comments)

Clan support sounds amazing, and the badges system is very welcome with the succes of MGO's "create-your-own-class system"
Im guessing this game will definitely get dedicated servers as its one of Sony's flagship titles (see: RFOM etc)

Now lets hope the single player is a lot lot lot better than the first Killzone. It definitely looks like its going to be better, but im still waiting on this one.

Dreddz
07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Both Killzone 2 and inFamous are looking really impressive. I don't know what everyone's beef with the first Killzone was (never played it) but I don't see how its sequel can take the same route. Probably the most impressive first person shooter to be released. Alongside Killzone 2 would be Resistance 2 as well, so it seems like Sony are really delivering for all the shooter fans. Still, I want more than impressive shooters personally.

Shoeberto
07-17-2008, 07:24 PM
The Resistance 2 demo they showed was epic. I haven't watched the Killzone stuff, for some reason the name has always garnered a 'meh' from me (even during the days when the first one was getting so hyped). I might check out the stuff later today.

Gilghamut
07-17-2008, 08:11 PM
I've seen some pictures of Killzone 2 and it's pretty damn stunning (pics I saw were of the multi-player). I'm definitely going to be getting it when it comes out, despite playing only a demo of the first one.

Croyles
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Watch the MP video.

Also, here is a video of inFamous:
N4G.com : Gamespot: inFamous stage demo (http://www.n4g.com/events_e32008/News-171064.aspx)

Madame Adequate
07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Not quite as disasterous fail as Nintendo, but honestly only one company had any remotely interesting announcements this year.

Sony's was better than Microsoft's. Other than the FFXIII announcement Microsoft's was pretty bad. At least Sony kept their focus on games throughout mostly. Microsoft went for too long on their video service and dashboard update. Plus stupid stuff like Lips, Game quizzes and their Mii knock-offs.

Games? What games? I named the two games that were of any interest to me from the Sony shenanigans. Everyone had a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif E3 but at least MS had one big deal announcement of the kind we actually want.

Croyles
07-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Well im looking forward to inFamous, Killzone 2, LBP, Mag, Resistance 2 etc etc. To each his own :