PDA

View Full Version : Abilities in FFTA2

Skyblade
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, the game's been around for a few weeks, so I thought I'd write up a little bit about abilities. Some of them have changed since FFTA, for better or for worse, and the MP mechanics have made changed how useful some of the others are by quite a bit. And, of course, there are plenty of new classes to explore as well.

First, the reaction abilities. These have received the biggest direct change from FFTA.

Reflex: In FFTA, Reflex blocked all standard attacks, and was one of the best reaction abilities in the game. In A2, Reflex only avoids melee normal attacks. Still powerful, but decidedly scaled down, and now completely inferior to Strikeback.

Archer's Bane: FFTA's dodge arrows originally avoided all arrow-based attacks and abilities (except ones like Faster). Any skill that was weapon based and used with a bow, like an Archer with Holy Blade or Rend Speed, was useless against this command. Now, it blocks only standard bow and greatbow attacks. This means that a lot of powerful abilities, like Beso Toxico, Sonic Boom, the Ultimas, and Weapon/Armor Shot, bypass this ability, making the ability far less useful, and mean that it should be replaced by Return Fire on any character who can learn it.

Blur: A new ability, similar to Archer's Bane, except it blocks gun and cannon based attacks. Generally, I don't think there are enough gun and cannon users that you face to make it worthwhile, but worth noting, all the same.

Strikeback: Probably the most powerful reaction command for melee characters, it blocks a melee attack against you and lets you return one. Only a slight change since FFTA, it no longer works like Return Fire if the character who has it is equipped with a bow/ranged weapon (it did that sometimes, but not always, in FFTA).

Return Fire: Remains unchanged since FFTA. Blocks an arrow based normal attack and sends an arrow back to the enemy. Doesn't work against guns or cannons, and there is no gun/cannon version of this ability.

As far as I know, no reaction ability blocks a Trickster's cards. If there is one, please feel free to post it.

Counter: The other contender for best melee reaction ability, Counter will let you attack any melee range opponent who hit you with any damaging attack or ability. If hit by a ranged attack, you cannot Counter it, even if your character has a ranged weapon (and they'll perform a tackle to Counter a melee attack, rather than a bow shot). This move can counter spells and abilities, but does not prevent them from hurting you.

Absorb Magick: Rather than absorbing the MP used to cast a spell at the user, it now absorbs some of the damage done as MP instead. Useful against a much wider range of attacks, but only activates from an attack that hurts the user.

Absorb Damage: An new one that absorbs 1/10 the damage done by an attack as health, rounded down. Fairly nice, but seems to have trouble coping with Doubleshot, Doublecast, and Dual Wield.

Bonecrusher: A Counter Attack that damages an enemy for more damage than the user took from the initial attack. Like Absorb Damage, this ability seems to have trouble calculating out damage taken from the Double Attack abilities. Only reflects physical damage done at melee range. Counter is generally better, IMO.

Magick Counter: Cast a spell back at the caster that was used against you, requires enough MP to cast the spell. Unchanged since FFTA, I believe, but given the new MP system, hardly worth it.

Sticky Fingers: Catches an item thrown against you. Can gather some quite nice items, but only in certain missions. Requires a lot of planning to use efficiently. Unchanged since FFTA.

Critical Berserk/Quicken/Haste/Vanish: Critical Vanish is new, but works the same way as the other Critical abilities. Anytime a damage dealing attack of any sort leaves a character in HP Critical status, the buff is applied to the unit. This is slightly changed since FFTA. In FFTA, the attack had to reduce a character from above Critical status to below Critical status. So a character had to be healed above Critical status for the ability to be used more than once. In A2, even if the attack hits a character below the Critical point, if the character survives the attack, the buff will be applied again.

Dragonheart: Applies Reraise when a unit takes damage, but only works once, so don't bother with it, better to use a Blue/White Mage to instill Reraise manually.

I think that is all of the reaction abilities, but I am not positive, as I somehow feel I might have missed one. I'm a little tired of typing right now, but I'll update this thread with more info later. Thanks for reading, and feel free to post your own information!

ljkkjlcm9
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
You missed Dodge Magick, which is currently on my Red Mage/Summoner. Dodges any area based magic attack, aka: ice, fire, bolt, aero, water etc. Does not dodge summons, illusion attacks and the like.

Mp Shield, which takes damage out of your MP before your HP. Kinda like you regen 10 hp every turn. Really only useful if the character NEVER uses magic.

and also Blink Counter, which counters with Knockback. Not really suggested as that just allows an additional enemy to then come and attack you from the same location.

Finally, Auto-Regen. As soon as you get attacked, regen is casted on you. Not bad really.

Personally, I think counter is by far the best reaction ability now. Get it on any character that can have it that fights at close range. For long range... I like my Dodge Magick on my Red Mage.

THE JACKAL

Skyblade
07-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Does anyone have a list of the abilities that work with Dual Wield? Some abilities work with it, and others don't, and I'm having a heck of a time figuring which ones will yield two attacks when used with it, and it's putting off my post on the Support Abilities.

ljkkjlcm9
07-19-2008, 04:23 PM
uhm, most abilities don't work with Dual Wield in this game. The only times Dual Wield is significant, is with a Counter attack, a regular attack, or with Magic Frenzy learned from a Seer

and gonna post this here too... just for you Skyblade!
My personal favorite Combos:
Human:
Paladin/Parivir w/Geomancy
Paladin/Seer w/Dual Wield or Heritor/Seer (Adelle only) w/Dual Wield (Magick frenzy ftw)
Bangaa:
Master Monk/White Monk W/Shieldbearer. Equip no weapon and two shields. Get very high evasion.
Trickster/Gladiator w/ Unscarred. Very long range Ultima
Moogle:
Fusilier/Moogle Knight or Fusilier/Juggler w/Geomancy (for elemental bullets). One for good SE's and long range Ultima. The other for lots of good support
Viera:
Red Mage/Summoner W/Blood Price. Two summons every turn? Hell yes! (equip an elemental absorb robe, and hit yourself when you hit enemies, and it'll be free too)
Sniper/Spellblade... Long range SE application
Sniper/Assassin w/Blood Price. Long range Ultima every turn
Nu Mou:
Sage/Black Mage... widest variety of elemental attacks to use.. really the only Nu Mou I like.
Seeq:
Personally don't like them. But Ranger + Mirror Item + Item Lore + Xpotion = 100% 400 damage anytime.
Gria:
Hunter/Ravager... Sneak Attack from behind for massive damage at range, plus ultima.
Raptor/Geomancer... mostly support. Raptor has the best magic attack growth of the Gria, with good support abilities all around. Coupled with the situational magic of Geomancer... pretty good combo.

THE JACKEL

Skyblade
07-20-2008, 04:30 AM
I had heard that several weapon based A-Abilities worked with Dual Wield. Thus far, I had not uncovered any (short of Magic Frenzy), but it always seemed there were more to test whenever I looked around, and I have not yet learned every ability. Thanks for telling me that none of them work with it.

Thanks for those class and ability tips. I disagree on a couple, so I might as well start in on it.

Human:

Humans have a lot of powerful abilities in a lot of different specialties. Blue Magick is one of the most well-rounded skillsets in the game, featuring direct damage, healing, debuffing, and buffing abilities (though it is a pain to master). Paravirs get a variety of powerful elemental strikes that also deal status effects. Hunters get some abilities that simply destroy monsters, though Sonic Boom and Ultima Shot work well in any situation. Seers have an incredibly powerful skillset, featuring Magick Frenzy, three attack spells to use with it, a healing spell, Esuna, and an MP replenishing ability (though, please tell me why Recharge requires MP to cast).

Not that Human abilities are all wonderful. Paladins got switched around some, and their ability set is now barely worthwhile. Holy Blade is nearly useless now. Yeah, it does Holy damage, but unlike FFTA, it doesn't increase your attack strength any, and it doesn't work with Dual Wield. Since Paladins get Sanctify to destroy undead with (and undead are almost the only enemies weak to Holy damage), Holy Blade is definitely not worth the 22 MP cost. Cover has received a slight buff and War Cry is a nice addition, offering these units some extra debuff resistance. Saint Cross and Nurse can be handy in some situations, but the only real reason to use them is because they can equip Knightswords (oh, and their attack growth isn't great, but they get enough physical defense to be able to shrug off any attack in the game). Soldiers are also a little weak ability-wise. The Rends are useful early (especially Speed Rend), but wear down as you get access to Fighters and Paravirs.

Really, I can't advertise any skill set for Humans. They are versatile and powerful enough that you can win and enjoy them with almost any skillset. Experiment, and play around. The biggest thing is to watch their stat growth. A lot of the powerful stat growth classes from FFTA have been nerfed a bit. Blue Mages and Hunters have had decidedly toned-down stats, and Ninja and Paladins also got weakened in a few areas. If you want a magic user, go with a Black Mage. Incredibly awesome Magic and Resistance growth, just watch their speed. For Physical attackers, go with Paravir, or Fighters before you get them. Ninja are good for speed, but not much else. And Paladins are the kings of Physical defense, but their attack power has dropped quite a bit.

Viera: They have several configurations that work well.

Physical: Sniper/Assassin with Halve MP or Blood Price. The Assassin skillset has taken a huge hit with the destruction of Concentrate (seriously, do not use it. It sucks now. It may have been overpowered in FFTA, but it is not worth using now) and the new directional attack system. Since Concentrate doesn't give a decent accuracy boost, and you can't get a 10% accuracy boost by using it from the side (or 20% from behind), you usually get 40-60% accuracy, and the abilities will not be as helpful as standard attacks. On the other hand, they get Ultima Masher, and with Halve MP or Blood Price, they get a lot of hits in with it. The Sniper's Doubleshot now does twice the normal attack damage (instead of a normal attack damage split into two attacks), so it can be quite handy, and, if you are an Assassin main class, it works with Katanas.

Sniper/Spellblade: Great class set for inflicting status effects from long range and dealing nice physical damage while you do it. Especially good at cutting Mages down to size.

Magical:
Red Mage/Elementalist: Doublecast with a wide variety of status spells and elemental attacks, plus healing and buff abilities. What's not to like? Plus you can equip them with things like the Red Cloak, Ribbons, the Femme Fatale, etcetera, and make them the snazziest dressed unit on the battlefield.

Red Mage/Summoner with Blood Price: I think you got this one quite nicely.

Bangaa:

Master Monk/White Monk: The Dual-Monk combo works great, and with moves like Cross-Counter, you probably won't miss Ultima's damage. With Aurablast and Air Render, they have access to long range attacks. Chakra and Inner Focus for healing and status effect removal. Revive for bringing back fallen comrades. Dark Strike for extra damage, Holy Strike for elemental damage. Exorcism for getting rid of undead... This setup's benefits just don't stop. The dual-shield idea is nice for the evasion boost, but they accept any support ability nicely. Tank is a favorite for me. Drops the evasion, but gives them Heavy Armor and a weapon.

Nu Mou:

Illusionist/Arcanist with Halve MP or Geomancy. Illusionists are very overpowered in this game. In FFTA, they were nice for a little bit of damage, great for weaking or finishing off critical characters, but not a true force on the field. With the new MP mechanics, I was afraid they'd be nearly useless, since it would take them four turns to get the MP to cast one spell! But, with Halve MP (and Hurdy or Magick Channelling), they can cast spells much quicker, and they do a very respectable amount of damage. Combine that with their awesome elemental spell selection, and they can be one of the most devastating units in your team. They have one spell for every element except Dark, and taking Arcane Magick as a secondary gives them access to Lv? Shadowflare, which they can use for Dark damage (although a lot of enemies absorb or null it), and a host of other useful little pieces. You could also give them Geomancy to further strengthen their casting power, and just use Hurdy's Magick Ballad or MP Channelling (or an Ether) to strengthen their magic reserves. Sages and Alchemists are nice, but don't underestimate the power of Illusion.

Moogle:

Bard/Juggler (Hurdy only): Incredibly awesome support class. Medium range buff/debuff unit. Not the best damage output, but for a mid-rank supporter, there are none better, kupo-po!

Juggler/Time Mage: Decent support class. Oddly split between magic and physical damage, and has a duplicate ability (Quicken/Smile Toss), but still a nice support class.

Fusilier/Moogle Knight: A nice combo, with status effects, elemental damage, a variety of physical attacks like Moogle Attack and Moogle Rush, and, of course, Ultima. Despite its long range, the Moogle's Ultima doesn't see as much use as the other races due to their lack of Halve MP (only race of the original 5 that doesn't learn it).

Flintlock/Fusilier: I like this combo too. A ton of variety in long range attacks and support. The Flintlock's abilities are a little slow, but can be very handy when used right. Ready Prime, and then use the Fusilier abilities to damage and disorient your enemy until you are ready to unleash your cannon specials.

Seeq:

Lanista/Viking: While there isn't much variety to choose from in the Seeq (or Gria) classes, this combo works very nicely. The Viking abilities give you access to magic attacks and the ability to steal an opponent's gear, while the Lanista gets some nice direct physical attacks.

I don't think much of Rangers. Traps can be useful, but only in very particular situations. If you're fighting in a place like Goug, you can get the enemy to hit several in a row and use Sten Needles to destroy them completely, but in more open terrain, the randomness of the enemy's AI makes them fairly useless, unless Rangers make up your whole team and you just saturate the place.

Gria:

No real advice on them. They have nice, though limited, jobs to choose from, and pretty much any combo works. More than skill setups, the Gria are about tactical use. Their flight seems to work identical to the Fairy Boots, so they are great for getting behind the enemy.

Zeromus_X
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't think much of Rangers. Traps can be useful, but only in very particular situations. If you're fighting in a place like Goug, you can get the enemy to hit several in a row and use Sten Needles to destroy them completely, but in more open terrain, the randomness of the enemy's AI makes them fairly useless, unless Rangers make up your whole team and you just saturate the place.

Mirror Items with Item Lore make Rangers pretty deadly. That's 400 free damage with a Mirror X-Potion, plus other stuff you can play around with.