PDA

View Full Version : Best Oblivion successor?: Fable 2 or Fallout 3?

Dragonsoul
07-17-2008, 10:08 AM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion came out in March 2006. Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are both coming out in Fall 2008. These two games have some similarities and appear to fall in the same target audience as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I'm more interested in Fallout 3 than Fable 2 but I am most interested in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. That was a great game but I think it was too long. I am unlikely to buy Fable 2 this fall but there is a chance that I'd get Fallout 3.

Which are you more interested in as a successor to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivon? :choc2:!!!

Karellen
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
What do you mean by 'successor'? If you mean 'game that will be most like Oblivion', then as much as it pains me to say so that's obviously going to be Fallout 3. If you mean 'which one will be better' though, it's kind of too soon to tell. There are enough reasons to be pessimistic about both of them.

CimminyCricket
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
I just want less shenanigans and more Elder Scrolls V.

Vyk
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure if you're going to get a very favorable reaction around these parts. Western RPGs aren't usually too well received from JRPG lovers. And Oblivion was massive and beautiful, but there wasn't much there. So story-wise it wasn't even that great by western standards :/

Fable will probably have this kinda stuff beat in spades though. Dunno about story but I'm hopeful. But as far as just running around the world doofing off, I'm sure there'll be plenty of meat to the package. It won't feel so empty and useless

Madame Adequate
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I think TES V: Summerset Isle is most likely to be a successor to Oblivion.

Then again Oblivion wasn't a worthy successor to Morrowind, so who knows?

Karellen
07-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure if you're going to get a very favorable reaction around these parts. Western RPGs aren't usually too well received from JRPG lovers.
It seems to be more the case that they're ignored rather then actually disliked. Which is fine, I guess. They're pretty different genres (despite the name), so there's no real reason why someone who enjoys one would like the other.

JKTrix
07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
The same people who make Elder Scrolls (Oblivion) make the Fallout games.

Shoeberto
07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Neither are 'successors.' They're not trying to be Elder Scrolls games, they're doing their own thing.

Fallout is significantly different from the TES games, so if you're looking for a game with lots of exploration and the ability to create a jack-of-all-trades uber character you'll be disappointed. But if you want to choose your own path through a winding story full of great dialogue and make a character that's very good at one or two things (which usually determines the path you follow), you'll like Fallout.

Man I wanna play Fallout 3 now. I'm not a big Elder Scrolls person.

Dragonsoul
07-18-2008, 03:12 AM
I was considering getting The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion again and beating it. I had it earlier but only played ten hours. It was a great game but I got rid of it since I didn't have time to beat it. I plan to skip this game so that I can focus on beating the upcoming Square Enix rpg's and beating all the older ones I haven't beaten yet.

This means I will have to skip these games...
Final Fantasy XI
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
All Ogre/Tactics games
All Zelda games
All Front Mission games

...It'll take a few years to catch up on all the games I want to beat. Fallout 3 I hear is going to be 50-80% the size of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. How long is Fable 2? How long do you prefer these games to be? :choc2:!!!