PDA

View Full Version : Childhood myths

Spiffing Cheese
07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
When I was little my uncle told me that if you peeled an orange in one go, the peel would look like an elephant's head and I believed it for years. :(

I also believed my airing cupboard was a secret passage to Narnia or similar. :D

What crazy things did you believe as a little 'un?

boris no no
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
When I was little my uncle told me that if you peeled an orange in one go, the peel would look like an elephant's head and I believed it for years. :(

I also believed my airing cupboard was a secret passage to Narnia or similar. :D

What crazy things did you believe as a little 'un?
My dad told me peeling an orange in one go looks like a mans weewee ;__;

Jojee
07-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Babies came from bellybuttons!
Penises were as big as a stick of lipstick~ (this was as a teen for some time xD)
God existed and pretty much everyone I knew was going to hell :jess:

rubah
07-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I thought that the floorboards under heavy furniture (beds, chest of drawers, etc) weren't strong enough to walk on and I would fall down into a basement or something if I stepped on them.

blackmage_nuke
07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I believed carpets could fly.

Randgris
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
If you scrape your knee and cry, a priest will come out of the wound. Another variation is: If you scrape your knee and cry, rice will come out from the wound.

If you pierce a small needle through your skin, it will travel around in your blood.

When we were little (5 I think) we were always told never to go out at midday because we would get abducted and have our organs harvested to be sold inthe black market. We were also told that Indians (from India, duh) would take us and sell us.

The meat inside the siopao http://www.jcgmarketing.com/phix/siopao.jpg is made of cat meat.

NeoTifa
07-17-2008, 05:14 PM
whats that?

that if you looked into the mirror and said candyman 3 times, turned out the light, then turned it on again he would apear behind you and kill you with his hook.

1,2 freddies coming for you. 3,4 better lock your door. 5,6 get your crusafix. 7,8 stay up late.

lol i was a morbid, nervous little girl

Randgris
07-17-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.jcgmarketing.com/phix/siopao.jpg I don't know what Americans call it, but this thing here is steamed and its chinese.

ValkyrieWing
07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Um...lets see....Chocolate will give you zits, for one. That and evil things lived in the basement when the lights were off. :p

Gogo
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I believed in ghosts! :monster:

Levian
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I thought GUM got stuck in your stomach for seven years if you swallowed, but so did my mom. I think she still thinks that actually.

Anyway, one of the reasons why I almost never chewed gum in the first place.

Spiffing Cheese
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I thought GUM got stuck in your stomach for seven years if you swallowed, but so did my mom. I think she still thinks that actually.

...I still thought that was true, like, a year ago. ;___;

Jojee
07-17-2008, 06:20 PM
My ex and his mom (she still believes this xD) and a ton of people in Brazil apparently believed or believes that if you ate grapes and then drank milk together, you'd get some sort of bad reaction and then die. :p

Shoeberto
07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
When I was younger, I theorized that everyone in the womb had a penis, but then just for some people when they came out and it touched air it inverted itself, thus making a vagina!

It made a lot of sense when I was six.

NeoTifa
07-17-2008, 06:26 PM
rofl.

i beleived that if pennies fell down the vent they melted...

Roto13
07-17-2008, 06:43 PM

If I had an orange I would show you how it's done. :P Because that's very possible. (And very easy, if you think about it.)

EDIT: Thanks, Google!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/345201484_1c5d29b7a5.jpg

NeoTifa
07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
def not an elephant XD

Roto13
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Elephants are phallic

Miriel
07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I believed that wishing on a star really truly worked.

If two people really really loved each other and they kissed, they would make a baby.

Eating watermelon seeds would cause fruit to grow in your belly.

If you turned on a fan in a room and closed the door and fell asleep, you would DIE.

When you're on your bed and sleeping and one of your limbs (arms, legs) fell off the side of the bed, it was cause ghosts under the bed were trying to pull you down. I don't believe this anymore, but I still always always keep my arms and legs from falling off the side of the bed.

My Dad (who is a minister) would get paid for his work directly by God. God would come during the night and dump money on his bed for all his hard work for the past month or whatever.

NeoTifa
07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
lol i believed in the keeping the limbs on the bed thing and the watermelon thing lol.

Shoeberto
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM

If I had an orange I would show you how it's done. :P Because that's very possible. (And very easy, if you think about it.)

EDIT: Thanks, Google!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/345201484_1c5d29b7a5.jpg
Now that's just profane! Ban Ban Ban!

Vyk
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
I see the elephant, but the other visual is funny xD

I used to figure there was -something- under my bed. Not necessarily monsters or anything. But just to be safe if I had to go to bed while it was dark, I'd jump in bed a few feet away instead of walking up and crawling in. That way nothing could grab me

Zeldy
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM

...I still thought that was true, like, a year ago. ;___;

..what, that's not true?!

Spiffing Cheese
07-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I know it's possible, but my uncle had me convinced that it was impossible to peel an orange WITHOUT it looking like that. xD

BardTard
07-17-2008, 08:55 PM
There was a mermaid in the bathtub.

Yamaneko
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
For a short time I thought God existed, but then I came to my senses and grew up.

Tallulah
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Penises were as big as a stick of lipstick~ (this was as a teen for some time xD)

lol no comment :D

I used to think letters got sent via a network of tubes that went under the streets, and ATMs printed cash!

mooglebunni608
07-18-2008, 04:22 AM
My ex and his mom (she still believes this xD) and a ton of people in Brazil apparently believed or believes that if you ate grapes and then drank milk together, you'd get some sort of bad reaction and then die. :p

I've heard that eating cherries and drinking milk together on a hot day = death, and actually some president died from this, or so I've been told. :eek:

I thought we had a pool behind the pot-shelf in our kitchen. Mom had to yell at me to keep me from crawling behind there and trying to find a door ><

Jessweeee♪
07-18-2008, 04:27 AM
When I was very little I thought I'd fall through the tiny gaps between the boards on the balcony, or through the imaginary line between the patio and the grass :spin:

Vermachtnis
07-18-2008, 05:49 AM
I used to believe that the stars were watching me.

dodhungry
07-18-2008, 05:55 AM
I told my mom to return my newborn sister to K-mart cuz I wanted a baby brother :p

zaqwert
07-19-2008, 01:11 AM
At one point, I believed that when it thunders, an angel had just thrown a strike in a game of bowling in heaven! I thought it was cool at the time.

Madame Adequate
07-19-2008, 01:20 AM
When you're on your bed and sleeping and one of your limbs (arms, legs) fell off the side of the bed, it was cause ghosts under the bed were trying to pull you down. I don't believe this anymore, but I still always always keep my arms and legs from falling off the side of the bed.

Haha I believed that too. And I still try to keep limbs from hanging over the edge of my bed even though it is four inches off the floor. xD

I believed that people ran on batteries. And I threatened to remove people's batteries if they annoyed me.

Rye
07-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Haha I believed that too. And I still try to keep limbs from hanging over the edge of my bed even though it is four inches off the floor. xD

I believed that people ran on batteries. And I threatened to remove people's batteries if they annoyed me.

When your Mommy emailed that story about you believing people ran on batteries to me, it was one of the happiest moments of my life. That's one of the cutest things I've ever heard. xD <3

daggertrepe
07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
I thought I bought my mom from a "mom" store.

Denmark
07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
I thought everyone but me was a robot.

I still don't really have proof that this isn't true.

~*~Celes~*~
07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I used to think that when you were driving in the car, the clouds were following you.

I also believed that if you kissed someone, you would marry them xD

Raistlin
07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
God existed and pretty much everyone I knew was going to hell :jess:

I can think of a couple more good ones for you. :p

When I was really really little, I thought the Tooth Fairy lived in this little porcelain house in our hallway. No idea why the Tooth Fairy, and I never believed in any other childhood fairy tale. Hell, (according to my mom) I apparently believed in the Tooth Fairy more than I ever remember believing in God.

Calliope
07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
For a short time I thought God existed, but then I came to my senses and grew up.

Then who pays Miriel's dad? ;_;

The Shoeless Hobo
07-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Carrots made you vision better! :eek:

Vyk
07-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Carrots made you vision better! :eek:
Night vision. Supposedly. Vitamin B12 or some junk (can't remember specifics)

Shoeberto
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I thought everyone but me was a robot.

I still don't really have proof that this isn't true.
For about a year or two I was really convinced that I was an alien.

To add QQ to this story it was because I felt really different from everyone else and was waiting for aliens to come and pick me up and take me back home.

But yeah I took a lot of things in my body that seemed weird (like oddly shaped bruises from falling or whatever) to be signs that it was true.

Jess
07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes. xD

also, for some reason I used to call Frosted Shreddies "Chicken Frosties". For years and years and years. :jess:

Heath
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Something that I'm sure many parents have told their children, but my friend's parents used to tell a friend of mine that when the ice cream van played music, it meant he'd ran out of ice cream.

Another friend's dad told him he was Tarzan and he didn't find out otherwise until year 8 (when he was 13).

Montoya
07-23-2008, 09:15 AM
When I was a little kid I used to think that people lived there lives and then when they died they just turned into babies again and started all over.
I used to think this was all a dream.

Christmas
05-08-2022, 12:58 AM
They said people on the internet is friendly and nice. :(

Yamaneko
05-08-2022, 03:35 AM

Early adult myths.

Dr. Acula
05-08-2022, 05:03 AM
I watched "Honey I Blew Up the Kid" when I was very young and for the longest time I believed that radio waves from the TV/microwave would eventually turn you into a giant.

Also my father told me that we were descended from Mary Queen of Scots and I didn't question it until my twenties. Still have no idea if that's true or not.