PDA

View Full Version : Again and again and again and again and again...

Breine
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Right now at my job, at the local sports centre, me and another guy are painting an entire gymnasium. It's oh so boring, mainly because it's very repetitive and it just takes such a god damn long time! We've been painting for 4 days now (8 hours a day), and we won't be finished for at least another week or maybe even longer. Luckily the guy I'm working with is one of my friends, so we joke around, which we have to to not become insane. I'll be a very happy panda once the job's done.

Anyway, what's the most repetitive job you've ever had?

Quindiana Jones
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Doing delivery. Delivery entails taking some packaged clothes out of a tote (box) filled with lots of clothes. You unpack the clothes, you unfold the clothes, you throw the rubbish away, you then tag, hang, and cube the clothes so that they're ready to be put onto the shop floor. After you've finished one tote, you move onto the next. There's usually about 20 totes. :(

Miriel
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Working retail. Ughghghg.

Zeldy
07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I worked at HMV for my work experience. It was terrible, all we did was stick stickers on CDs and then security tag them, I was so glad that work experience had been shortened to one week instead of two. :p

ReloadPsi
07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Filing completed insurance claims according to month... *shudders*

Do you have any idea how full the shelf for "April" got? We actually had to split it onto a different shelf elsewhere in the office, and only after I got pissed off and told other staff to stop expecting me to break the laws of physics!

Quindiana Jones
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I kinnae defy the laws of physics, Cap'n!

Yar
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Filing.

I need spontaneity. I quit my last job because it was repetitive.

capricious
07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Work experience at an art museum.. Stood there for 8 hours. Worse than working at a retail shop.

rubah
07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
shake making. I made shakes and drinks in my dreams.

Levian
07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I had to count money at Norwegian Wood, which is a music festival here in Norway that lasts for 4 days straight. Counting is KINDA repetitive and we obviously weren't able to wrap up the counting until the festival ended and the stands were closed, so late night + counting is a bad thing. We got free food and drinks though :up: as well as two free tickets for Alanis Morissette the last day. Of course, I had to work so I gave them away.

Balzac
07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Motion tracking.

Jojee
07-17-2008, 09:27 PM
This one. Entering publications into Endnote or entering endless amounts of data into an Excel file is like *_* Luckily I have access to the internet and can spend half my time procrastinating.

Quindiana Jones
07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I had to count money at Norwegian Wood, which is a music festival here in Norway that lasts for 4 days straight. Counting is KINDA repetitive and we obviously weren't able to wrap up the counting until the festival ended and the stands were closed, so late night + counting is a bad thing. We got free food and drinks though :up: as well as two free tickets for Alanis Morissette the last day. Of course, I had to work so I gave them away.

I dunno why, but "Norwegian Wood" is one of the funniest things I've ever read. xD

Jojee
07-17-2008, 09:41 PM
xDDDDD Now that I read it like that, it does seem funny.
It's one of my favorite Beatles songs though :p

Rye
07-17-2008, 10:59 PM
My current job is so freaking repetitive. But I love it because i can just email and text when I'm bored.

Bunny
07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Type up correspondence, answer stupid question about correspondence, deal with stupid person who thinks correspondence was typed up wrong, answer another stupid question about correspondence, explain to senior staff member what the correspondence entails and why it looks the way it looks. Receive call from senior staff member's boss about correspondence, explain for 15 minutes why the correspondence was handled the way it was handled (rules, people! I didn't make 'em), hang up the phone once higher up understands the necessary channels and rules regarding correspondence, sit inside bosses office as he yells at you for handling the correspondence wrong even though according to all the rules you were taught when taking the job and according to the dozens of manuals you have read regarding the proper procedures of handling correspondence tell you that you handled it correctly.

Repeat.

Every day.

For three years.

God, I hate the military.

Shattered Dreamer
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Right now I'm working in a supermarket stacking shelves it sucks!

Shoeberto
07-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Inserting advertisements into newspapers. You'd ideally want to get 3-4 papers stuffed per minute, often with 6 or more ads per paper. So it's grabgrabgrabgrabgrab stuff slide grabgrabgrabgrabgrab stuff slide, over an over, from 6AM to, on a good day, 2PM every Saturday. I stuffed when I closed my eyes.

Bundling was so much better. You stand around waiting for people to get done with a bundle of either 25 or 50, take them to the bundling machine (which is pretty fun to use), then stack them in the area for whatever route they were stuffed for (different routes have different ads). You even get paid more per hour. For some reason they preferred me as a stuffer though (even though I was relatively slow).

Tallulah
07-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Cleaning. The same rooms in pretty much the same order every day. Bakery, staff canteen, shop floor, toilets... :eep:

Levian
07-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I dunno why, but "Norwegian Wood" is one of the funniest things I've ever read. xD

You'd like some of that Norwegian Wood wouldn't you?

~*~Celes~*~
07-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Norwegian Wood made me laugh out loud xD

Quindiana Jones
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM

You'd like some of that Norwegian Wood wouldn't you?

I like my Norwegians tall and manly. ;)

But that's not why I laughed, though I realise now I should've. I laughed because everyone thinks of Norway as nothing but trees, and I just imagine the Festival namers looking around trying to think of a name for their new festival. xD

Levian
07-18-2008, 09:38 PM
xD

Well, it is located in the woods. Probably how they came up with it. ;)

Quindiana Jones
07-18-2008, 09:41 PM
You lot are so original.

Though I can't talk much. "Glastonbury Festival", "Isle of Wight Festival", "Edinburgh Festival". We all suck.

Jess
07-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Data Entry. It was the most boring repetitive job ever - but also the easiest job ever and it paid well. :jess:

Vermachtnis
07-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Working retail. Ughghghg.

During inventory double Ughghghg.

At one point I trying to get random strangers to buy boxes of erasers so I wouldn't have to count them.

Caraliz
07-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Folding pamphlets/various other office work. :( I didn't even get friggin paid, it was volunteer work that was mandatory for school.

Heath
07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
At the my current job is probably what we call 'price sweeping' which involves getting a little gun with a sensor and scanning the barcode of every item in a specific part of the shop (stationery, for instance) and making sure the price on the system corresponds to the price on the label. When you have to do about four different areas as I do now, it gets boring quickly.

Otherwise filing in my old job.