PDA

View Full Version : An epiphany after beating FF8...(some spoilers)

Cyric
07-18-2008, 10:10 AM
This is probably the first time that I paid very close attention to the story, even re-loading and re-reading some parts especially near the end. I don't mean to take away from FF7:AC, but FF8 would be able to have a sequel that is consistent with the storyline of the game. No doubt it wouldn't have your typical Hollywood happy-ending, it would be quite tragic. The general consensus about Ultimecia being the future Rinoa, and from the stuff that Squall says after she becomes a sorceress, would suggest that Griever is the future Squall. The transformation of Rinoa into Ultimecia would suggest that something severely traumatic happened to her and/or Squall and caused her to want to destroy everybody and everything. What exactly happens between the end of the game and Ultimecia could start another endless debate, about how Squall could have ended up as a Guardian Force to Rinoa, instead of a simple "Sorceress' Knight". If that isn't movie-material in itself, maybe someone can enlighten me as to what WOULD be.

For example, it could be something related to the events surrounding Julia Heartilly's "car accident," in which Rinoa finds out that her father (General Caraway) has Julia's blood on his hands after doing or not doing something that could've prevented her death. Then he (or at least Galbadia) attempts to 'silence' them and Squall gets killed protecting Rinoa, causing her to become so depressed and bitter that she takes on characteristics of Ultimecia. Dr. Odine's "Junction Machine Ellone"
eventually gets completed, and Rinoa kills Dr. Odine and takes it for hers and goes on her rampage to destroy everyone, everything and every bit of evidence that it ever existed (good ol' time compression). Sort of the same way young-Squall was traumatized by Ellone being taken away so suddenly, and he got so absorbed in taking care of himself that he ended up being the introvert that he was when the game's story began.

Anyways, just felt like sharing my thoughts. Thanks for reading them!

spike
07-18-2008, 10:52 AM
This is probably the first time that I paid very close attention to the story, even re-loading and re-reading some parts especially near the end. I don't mean to take away from FF7:AC, but FF8 would be able to have a sequel that is consistent with the storyline of the game. No doubt it wouldn't have your typical Hollywood happy-ending, it would be quite tragic. The general consensus about Ultimecia being the future Rinoa, and from the stuff that Squall says after she becomes a sorceress, would suggest that Griever is the future Squall. The transformation of Rinoa into Ultimecia would suggest that something severely traumatic happened to her and/or Squall and caused her to want to destroy everybody and everything. What exactly happens between the end of the game and Ultimecia could start another endless debate, about how Squall could have ended up as a Guardian Force to Rinoa, instead of a simple "Sorceress' Knight". If that isn't movie-material in itself, maybe someone can enlighten me as to what WOULD be.

For example, it could be something related to the events surrounding Julia Heartilly's "car accident," in which Rinoa finds out that her father (General Caraway) has Julia's blood on his hands after doing or not doing something that could've prevented her death. Then he (or at least Galbadia) attempts to 'silence' them and Squall gets killed protecting Rinoa, causing her to become so depressed and bitter that she takes on characteristics of Ultimecia. Dr. Odine's "Junction Machine Ellone"
eventually gets completed, and Rinoa kills Dr. Odine and takes it for hers and goes on her rampage to destroy everyone, everything and every bit of evidence that it ever existed (good ol' time compression). Sort of the same way young-Squall was traumatized by Ellone being taken away so suddenly, and he got so absorbed in taking care of himself that he ended up being the introvert that he was when the game's story began.

Anyways, just felt like sharing my thoughts. Thanks for reading them!

FFVIII movie sequel? HELL YEAH! that would rock
FFVIII is my all time favorite FF game, the story certainly has room for a sequel and i'd love to see what happened to squall and rinoa after the game

Squall's coolness factor is over 9000!!
and so is Rinoa's cuteness factor :cool:

blackmage_nuke
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
The general consensus about Ultimecia being the future RinoaThat is NOT true

Avarice-ness
07-18-2008, 02:26 PM
The general consensus about Ultimecia being the future RinoaThat is NOT true

Yeah, the MINORITY believes R = U, but not the majority BY FAR.

Either way I'm going to say it before someone else does.. but...

You say:

FF8 would be able to have a sequel that is consistent with the storyline of the game.

I say: FF8 had a consistent storyline? Last time I checked it was full of plotholes (which we all try to fill in) and the GENERAL CONSENSUS can agree to that. Now if you'd want a sequel to fill in the plotholes, you'd probably be better off with a remake.

BG-57
07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
We're venturing into the realm of fanfiction here. R=U, while it adds a certain tragic element to Rinoa and Squall's relationship, just doesn't seem to be intended by S-E. Just look at how they hint about Squall's parentage in the same game. There is a lot of torturous logic to explain R=U, while to suggest that Rinoa and Ultimecia are separate people requires hardly any; and I like simple explanations better.

That being said, I find Ultimecia's stated motivations unsatisfying. Yes, she's a sorceress and has reason to hate SeeD in general, but I would prefer specifics.

Speaking of fanfictions, I've been working on one to explain her hatred of SeeD and to explain the origin of Griever. My idea is that Griever is a descendant of Squall and Rinoa and that both he and Ultimecia began as SeeD. Like Oedipus, they are are not initially aware of their tragic destiny. They are eventually betrayed by their fellow SeeD, who by trying to stop them, help them become the villains.

Sir Bahamut
07-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes, she's a sorceress and has reason to hate SeeD in general, but I would prefer specifics.

Are you familiar with the Unjust Persecution theory? You can read it in the Time/Ultimecia Plot FAQ at Gamefaqs. It gives a simple, specific background to Ultimecia supported both by the game and the Ultimania.

BG-57
07-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I read it a long time ago. I do like your take on it, I just wish it had been more explicit in the game itself.

Cyric
07-19-2008, 08:12 PM
FF8 would be able to have a sequel that is consistent with the storyline of the game.I say: FF8 had a consistent storyline? Last time I checked it was full of plotholes (which we all try to fill in) and the GENERAL CONSENSUS can agree to that. Now if you'd want a sequel to fill in the plotholes, you'd probably be better off with a remake.

How nice of you to take what I said completely out-of-context to justify your own opinion. All you did was prove that a sequel to FF8 is very possible. The storyline was full of holes? If you read what I thought the movie could be about, you'd see that the plotholes would be filled-in. Which is WHY it would make quite a good movie, and possibly even have a bigger audience than Advent Children did, because of people like yourself who are still waiting for the story to be completed to make more sense. Whereas people like me, who have an imagination, would go see it to see our dream(s) realized. :cool: