PDA

View Full Version : The GBA Translation is My Favorite From The Entire Series

Yar
07-19-2008, 05:44 AM
It just... worked.

I don't think the humor could have been accomplished in any other installment, frankly.

Sure, when it was time to be serious, it got down to business. But during the lighthearted moments I "rofled" when in other translations I never "rofled" before.

I think the 16-bit graphics must've helped it work, too. Like during the scene the third world outside Castle Tycoon when Bartz and Krile are wrestling. "Take that!" And you can't forget the lobsters and whatnot regarding mashed potatoes. :p

Praise? Criticism? I am in a sleep-deprived state right now after a nice but unhealthy six hour Final Fantasy V binge. When I think of more to add, I will.

Vermachtnis
07-19-2008, 05:49 AM
I agree. The GBA version bumped V up to being tied for first. Gilgamesh's lines were so awesome in this one. I tried playing Anthology and something about Gilgamesh seemed off. And I loved all the pop culture refrences. I bursted out laughing when Guido made a TMNT joke.

Yar
07-19-2008, 05:51 AM
I found the PSX's "YESSSS!!" and Faris' faux-pirate accent both obnoxious and insulting. I had spent money on a game and they translate it like eight-year-olds. :(

Zeromus_X
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
It's definitely my favorite translation of FFV. I love the humor they sprinkled onto what could have been an otherwise dull script. Plus, I was happy they did away with pirate Faris.

Crossblades
07-21-2008, 11:32 PM
It's definitely my favorite translation of FFV. I love the humor they sprinkled onto what could have been an otherwise dull script. Plus, I was happy they did away with pirate Faris.

Indeed. Wannabe Pirate Faris got on my nerves in the PS1 version. I was glad to see that SE made her talk like a normal person in the GBA version

CloudDragon
07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
I've only played the PSX version and I just started another play through.

Just how different is the GBA and PSX version? Script and graphics?

Yar
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I think the only graphical differences would be battle backgrounds and font.

The script is much more easier to read. They sound like real people, and there is more humor added.

I might suggest emulating if you don't mind breaking copyright laws and have no conscience of your own. :p

CloudDragon
07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I think I just might and you don't have to worry about my conscience. I'm emulated many times before.

darksword12
08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
"They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them."

ReloadPsi
08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Any game with a villain yelling "It's morphin' time!" is a winner in my book! :)