PDA

View Full Version : Erm...one question...

White Queen
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM
In Disc 1 during the sorceress parade, Edea marches out and delivers a speech about how the people of Galbadia are low-lifes, shameless filthy wretches, etc. Yet the people continue to cheer and celebrate. Surely such a speech from a sorceress would fill them with dread and fear? On top of that, she kills President Deling. Now Deling was certainly not the most popular figure in politics but when Edea kills him they crowd continue to whoop and cheer. Surely there would be a moment of silent shock? Are these people stupid?

And during Edea's speech, Deling says, " Edea, are you alright?". Something seems very odd here...as Edea, when possessed, is always malicious and cruel. Surely that's what Deling wanted? It seemed he knew Edea as someone kind. But then again, perhaps she was nice to him up until the moment she impaled him.

But my main question is the former. Can anyone shed light on this?
My assumption is that she was either:
a.) speaking softly (which doesn't make any sense)
or b.) she was saying those things but the people below were hearing something else (somehow).

Tallulah
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Remember this was a sorceress, so she probably had the crowd in some sort of a trance. Also she was making crazy promises about letting them live a fantasy beyond [their] imagination, and Galbadia becoming the most powerful country in the world, in which, presumably, all the citizens would prosper: 'Let us start a new reign of terror,' she says.

Plus she killed President Deling, who was very unpopular.

Marky Tee
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
im guessing they were all just so damned fixed on her breasts

Skyblade
07-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Have you ever seen a political rally? Calling people low-lifes and idiots is pretty much standard, she just did it a bit more directly than most.

And who wouldn't cheer if one politician killed another? Fewer speeches to listen to, and it proves that she's willing to take action.

Besides, as far as I remember, the next clear view we have of the people shows a huge riot going on. So they cleary weren't totally enthralled.

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I think she was possessed maybe just before the game started S:

rubah
07-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Oftentimes, if you speak in a certain tone, no one will listen to the words you're saying.

If she was talking with an upbeat inspirational tone, not a soul would be paying attention to her diction.

The Crystal
07-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Ultimecia(she was using Edea's body as a shell. Edea herself did nothing) was a very powerful sorceress. There is a big chance she was using a spell on them.

Have you ever seen a political rally? Calling people low-lifes and idiots is pretty much standard, she just did it a bit more directly than most.

And who wouldn't cheer if one politician killed another? Fewer speeches to listen to, and it proves that she's willing to take action.

:lol:

That's a good one.

Hyperion4444
08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I doupt they were cheering, it sounded more like a shocking scream.
and then the violence started.

TyphoonThaReapa
08-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Besides, as far as I remember, the next clear view we have of the people shows a huge riot going on. So they cleary weren't totally enthralled.

One of the best post I've ever read in this forum...:cool:

White Queen
08-02-2008, 03:17 PM
why thank you :-)

And thanks to everyone for their suggestions and clarifications :mog:

MJN SEIFER
08-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I doupt they were cheering, it sounded more like a shocking scream.
and then the violence started.

Yeah, they where screaming, it looked like they where cheering because they where all background animations which never changed.

Saber
08-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I wondered this before too but if she can turn Rinoa into a mindless zombie then whos to say she can't turn others that way too. Plus didn't Rinoa have a braclet or something on?

Cloudane
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
This is another of those oddities that is dealt with by that hilarious Videogame Recaps (http://www.videogamerecaps.com/recaps/recaps.php?game=3&recap=140) site.

The options she gave for the fanwankery poll were:

* Programming and animating an actual believable reaction would have taken valuable time away from animating the 52nd Rinhoa FMV.

* They're all brainwashed. Edea has a wide radius of power, although it doesn't affect five of our main characters.

* People seem to like http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty leaders in general. Look at the US.

I go for the lazy programmers option.

Serapy
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Her power has brainwashed them, making them to listen what she has to say. This power didn't affect the main party members.

The main party members (except Rinoa) were not in the radius of the audience's location in the first place, which means they weren't affected by Ultimecia's brainwashing power.

The guests, Ultimecia and Rinoa all were in the radius. When Ultimecia shows up, she has casted a spell on them (everybody in the radius), making them brainwashed before beginning her speech. After she casted a spell on them, Squall rushed into the audience and the speech has just started. Rinoa was in the radius before Squall shows up and therefore she was also affected by the power. Ultimecia cannot possesses two persons (Edea and Rinoa) at the same time, so therefore she was possessing Edea and Rinoa/along the guests were being brainwashed.

Oh, after she has casted her brainwashing power before beginning her speech, it doesn't mean that a new person (e.g. Squall) gets into the radius will become brainwashed. Which explains why the party members (e.g. Squall and Irvine) didn't get affected when they went into the radius AFTER Ultimecia casted the spell.

NeoCracker
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I think it's more likely lazy programming there Serepy. :p

Hence why it sounds like a scream, not a cheer.

MJN SEIFER
08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I think Serapy's right about something happening to Rinoa, though, she seemed in a trance* during that scene, something had obviously happened.

(* I am not talking about FFIX when I say "trance"!)

Hyperion4444
08-28-2008, 12:52 AM
She wasn't herself when she was on the stage next to Edea.
Wasn't it obvious?
Everyone already knows that.
She was strangling herself (Controled by doing so btw)

Serapy
08-28-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm not sure about that. It's quite unusual for the developers to become lazy in nearly the ending of Disk 1. If they have became lazy in disk 4, it would be understandable, but disk 1?

If that was the case, though, then it would mean Ultimecia was possessing two persons at the same time.

Roogle
08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
White Queen, I wondered about that scene numerous times, too. I am still unsure of what to make of it, as I think that the normal reaction for the crowd would be to disperse and run away considering she just murdered an important, unpopular politician with magic.

NeoCracker
08-29-2008, 07:02 AM

I'm not sure about that. It's quite unusual for the developers to become lazy in nearly the ending of Disk 1. If they have became lazy in disk 4, it would be understandable, but disk 1?

If that was the case, though, then it would mean Ultimecia was possessing two persons at the same time.

Or, you know, she may only have been possessing one person. The Sorceress.

And it's entirely possible no one caught the oddity of that scene during the Beta Tests. I mean it took players a while to catch on to it as well.

Cloudane
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I noticed it straight away first time, although it didn't bother me enough to remember/mention it. Programmers get lazy or run out of time/budget *shrugs* If they had a deadline to meet, they'd cut as many corners as possible.

Also even though it's only disc 1, like with filming, scenes are not necessarily filmed in chronological order.

ReloadPsi
08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Shortly after this scene, Irvine is expected to shoot Edea through the back of her parade vehicle, which completely hides her from view.

Then when he does fire, she catches the bullet as though she were facing him all along.

Then Irvine isn't arrested.

Must've been lazy storytelling as a whole.

champagne supernova
08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Shortly after this scene, Irvine is expected to shoot Edea through the back of her parade vehicle, which completely hides her from view.

Then when he does fire, she catches the bullet as though she were facing him all along.

Then Irvine isn't arrested.

Must've been lazy storytelling as a whole.

That was because General Caraway managed to extricate him, so that he could rescue Rinoa.

Heath
08-30-2008, 12:04 AM

Both this and the topic of the thread bugged me the last time I played through FFVIII. For the thread topic, I just assumed it was lazy programming and they didn't program in a shocked audience and just had the FMV do that for them.

As for the other thing... magic bullet or something?

Serapy
08-30-2008, 01:51 AM

Or, you know, she may only have been possessing one person. The Sorceress.

And it's entirely possible no one caught the oddity of that scene during the Beta Tests. I mean it took players a while to catch on to it as well.

It's interesting that Rinoa is using the same animation when she was possessed in the space ship. Well, not the exactly same animation but it's quite similar, take the flashing and walking bits off and there you go.

MJN SEIFER
08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
As for the other thing... magic bullet or something?

Well my original theory was that Edea/Ultimecia made Rinoa put the Odine Bangle on her self - thus stopping her powers being realized to early, I have not been able to confirm this ufortunatly.

It's interesting that Rinoa is using the same animation when she was possessed in the space ship. Well, not the exactly same animation but it's quite similar, take the flashing and walking bits off and there you go.

Yes, I agree they are very similar - I noticed it too.

White Queen
09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
But it's NOT because she's Ultimecia...please...:confused: