PDA

View Full Version : littlebigSCAM!

Dreddz
07-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Yeah I know, what a crappy title. But not as crappy as this. (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/20/littlebigplanet-allows-users-to-charge-for-created-content/)

I was really liking where this game was going after E3 but this has really bogged it down. I know people are given the option to charge or not but people are obviously going to want to net some profit if they know they have something good on their hands. And they will probably be very cheap but considering how many levels people are likely to want to play it'll add up. And if this game is so great then in the long run you'll probably have spent more money than you'd wish to know.

I hope the uproar can make Media Molecule scrap this option like when EA scrapped their charge for additional guns in one of their games.

Roto13
07-21-2008, 02:13 AM
I didn't realize people could charge for levels. >_> Wow. That's pretty http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty.

Croyles
07-21-2008, 02:44 AM
I dont think its as bad as people have been making it out to be. If a level isnt worth it, no one is going to be charging it because no one will buy it, and chances you can test out a level beforehand.

In a way it inspires competition and might make better levels. I still think most people will offer their levels for free because I dont think many people have the confidence that their level is so amazing that you feel the need to earn money from it.

I think they will scrap it at the end anyway because Media Molecule up until now has been all about listening to the gamers. People were asking for enemies, they got them, they asked for boss fights, they got them, they asked for the ability to die, they got them etc etc etc.

All in all i dont want this feature in there either because it kind of puts a stain on such a sympathetic company + game but we will have to wait and see. Plus, I dont see how this can be good for one of their major target audience: children. Children wont be buying fuck all and so im thinking even if this option is in the final game it wont ruin the experience because media molecule know that children will love this game, even if im also obsessed with it ^^

Roto13
07-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Well in a game where the entire selling point is being able to create your own levels and play other people's levels, the fewer limitations the better. :P

Croyles
07-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Yes if you put it that simply your probably right. I think ive been overcomplicating things the last few days. Probably because I have been extremely bored..... :(

Hey, if you want to make an online petition (snigger), Media Molecule is probably one of the only companies that will listen. Why they decided to do this in the first place though is beyond me.

Apparently you have to acquire a certain amount of 'noteriety' before you can charge for levels in LBP, whatever that means.

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2008, 03:12 AM
No one's gonna buy them, so people will eventually just stop charging...eventually...maybe...

...I still want to play this S:

Shoeberto
07-21-2008, 03:44 AM
My internet's messed up so I can't load that page, but it's just saying that people have the option to charge for levels they've created?

I don't really see why it's a problem. If people make crap and try to sell it no one will buy it. If people use it to make serious, long-winded and intricate games of their own, I think it could be worthwhile to pay them for their effort. But I really imagine there will always be people in the community making high-quality free content.

I dunno. This isn't like Bad Company's paying for weapons or paying to unlock things already on the disc. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Shlup
07-21-2008, 03:53 AM
There's a huge deal in The Sims fandom about people charging money for the custom content they create. Huge movements against it.

And now this game is encouraging it. If this trend spreads, I am going to be so pissed.

People've made absolutely epic levels for Neverwinter Nights and not charged a dime! I used to make levels for Red Alert just because it was fun.

*grouch*

DMKA
07-21-2008, 04:20 AM
As in user created content?

If so, lame.

(I can't be bothered to read that whiny article so I'm not sure.)

Roto13
07-21-2008, 04:35 AM
User created content is becoming one of the biggest trends in gaming. IT used to be pretty much isolated to PC games, but now it's becoming a common part of console games. I just want it to continue to be a labor of love. :P

DMKA
07-21-2008, 04:44 AM
User created content is becoming one of the biggest trends in gaming. IT used to be pretty much isolated to PC games, but now it's becoming a common part of console games. I just want it to continue to be a labor of love. :P

Well that's what I meant. Charging for user created content would be incredibly lame.

EDIT: Nevermind I just read the article. On the contrary, this is awesome!

Old Manus
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
The developers are probably looking to make comission from the sales

Balzac
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
In a way it inspires competition and might make better levels. I still think most people will offer their levels for free because I dont think many people have the confidence that their level is so amazing that you feel the need to earn money from it.

You're joking right? People will charge as much as possible for any amount of crap they make.

Dreddz
07-21-2008, 11:56 AM

You're joking right? People will charge as much as possible for any amount of crap they make.

There's obviously limits, I don't think your allowed to stretch over £1. Plus they have to be checked by Media Molecule so you haven't made a single tree and charged for it. Maybe its up to Media Molecule how much your allowed to charge.

I still think paying for something you haven't played is wrong as you may feel you've wasted your money most of the time.

Balzac
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM

There's obviously limits, I don't think your allowed to stretch over £1. Plus they have to be checked by Media Molecule so you haven't made a single tree and charged for it. Maybe its up to Media Molecule how much your allowed to charge.

I still think paying for something you haven't played is wrong as you may feel you've wasted your money most of the time.

My point was that people will try to make money anyway they can. It doesn't matter how much it costs.

Madame Adequate
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah this really seems to go against the grain of what LittleBigPlanet was all about. I dunno. It's like charging for creatures in Spore or something. If we'd known about this from the start, fine, but I kinda feel misled here.

On the other hand, if I make a really awesome level...

Dreddz
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
And all is well. (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=200029)

Vyk
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
People've made absolutely epic levels for Neverwinter Nights and not charged a dime!

I was just going to mention that. BioWare had the right idea there. People are going to mod either way. Why not encourage it and help 'em out and see how far it goes. It worked out for everyone and didn't cost a damn thing. In fact, even being free, it was a big money/life score for some of those people as BioWare and other companies then adopted them into employment (Score!)

Bolivar
07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
That is a little messed up, but I'm sure there'll be an abundance of fun and free levels to play, if someone makes a really epic level that is incredibly fun to play with other people, I might pay $0.49 for it, but that's about where it'll stop.

In any case, I won't charge ya, Dreddz.

Croyles
07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Does no one read anymore? Check Dreddz' post. Its free.

Bolivar
07-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Does no one read anymore? Check Dreddz' post. Its free.

upon launch. But yeah, the link was very reassuring.

Croyles
07-23-2008, 12:33 AM
And even if it does get put in later on, by the way they wrote that it was obvious they were aware of the fans concern about this, leading me to believe that if they implement it will be in such a way as to avoid it ruining the gaming experience.

It was David Reeves speaking at the beginning, and David Reeves is an idiot lol.