PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, I Can't Believe I Stayed Up All Night

Yar
07-22-2008, 11:09 AM
And I didn't mean to either.

I tried to fall asleep after the midnight airing of Frasier on Lifetime, but it didn't happen. I think at about 1:30 I started playing Dragon Quest VIII. That game is so "meh" by the way.

So about 2:15 is when I died and tried to go back to sleep. I still wouldn't have any of it. So at about 3:00 I got out of bed and have been watching stuff like The Daily Show and Strangers With Candy on ComedyCentral.com since then.

It's now 6:00 a.m., and I'm watching the morning news. I'm not tired at all, but I want to go to bed.

Anyone ever not mean to pull an all nighter but did anyway?

CloudDragon
07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Too many times to count. Mostly it's time when I get caught up on my laptop (I could spend hours on Wikipedia), playing a video game, or reading. I can't read for too long or I will finally fall asleep.

I'm working third shift for the summer so the nights are now like my days. It's an interesting time, yet I've always been a night owl.

Yar
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd love to work the night shift. <3

It's strange though, at about 9:00 I was EXHAUSTED.

Jiro
07-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I have a few times, quite a few lately too. I haven't been able to sleep, so I just listen to music and try to entertain myself with games/ writing

Miriel
07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I regularly fall asleep at around 4-5 in the morning and I have no idea WHY. I don't do anything but browse EoFF and read ONTD or watch Dawson's Creek on some random cable channel. I'm weird. >_>

CloudDragon
07-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Dawson's Creek was classic.

Third shift isn't too bad when you're a night owl but I guess it would depend on the job that's being performed.

Time can really fly when you're a night owl and you're at a party or doing some kind of getting messed up and the next thing you know it's 5am and you have to be awake in a couple of hours. That's the worst.

Cz
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I've had nights when I can't sleep before. I couldn't sleep on Christmas Eve when I was younger, and from time to time I just can't get comfortable. If I'm not asleep by three in the morning then I give up and watch a movie or play a video game. It's hardly worth going to sleep at that point anyway.

Freya
07-22-2008, 12:33 PM
It's currently 5:32 AM here. I am just awake at night. Like tonight I had done my grocery shopping at about midnight and was cooking dinner at about 1ish. I know I SHOULD go to bed right now. But I don't wanna.

Heath
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I think the latest I've ever stayed up through an inability to sleep was 5 in the morning. If I've a big, important day the next day I will sometime struggle to sleep because I'll feel agitated and want to do something about it. Things like Christmas Eve, or a school trip or something important like a job interview. Last summer I regularly couldn't sleep until 3 in the morning and it worried me to such an extent that I went about changing my sleeping habits because of it. These days I'm rarely up after 1am. Definitely not if I have work the next day.

Psychotic
07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I always stay up until 4-5. I'm just a night person.

Meow
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I have spent a couple instances writing week-late papers deep into the morning and finishing them just in time to print and deliver them to a 10am class

Shlup
07-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I haven't been sleeping well either.

DUDE ELMO JUST THREATENED HIS WINDOW SHADE!

Faris
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
The very first time I pulled an all-nighter was an accident. I was 7 or 8 at the time. I was watching a movie and it was longer than I expected it to be.

These days I can't stay up all night 'cause I might have an outing or work, but before I started working I'd be up until 6am in the summer.

Zeldy
07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I did an all-nighter when I was made to sleep in a tent on a field, after walking 13 km carrying supplies and tent in these huge bags that weighed a tonne. I tried and tried to sleep, but when there's three of you squished into one tent and it's freezing cold and one of the people sharing the tent had an extreme hayfever reaction and their face ballooned, we just couldn't stop laughing at her :jess:

I had to walk another 13 km the next day, I was all cranky as I'd had no sleep xD partly because of my friends, but also because it was insanely cold and I couldn't stop shivering.

theundeadhero
07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
When I still lived at home there were several days where I would be playing video games then suddenly hear my dad getting up for work before realizing what time it is. These days I don't go to bed until 1-2am and that's only because I know I have to get up before 6am. I'm naturally a late person.

13k isn't very far :p

Zeldy
07-22-2008, 07:20 PM
13k isn't very far :p

it isss ;__; unless it's miles I'm thinking of instead of km. It was all up hills and we had to carry those HUGE BAGS.

Peegee
07-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Typically weekend parties end with me going 'fudge it I'll stay up until noon'

Iceglow
07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Like psy I am generally a night person, it helps I work afternoons/evenings though I'm also an early riser I get up most days at 06:45. I guess thats where I get my nickname of "duracell bunny" from since most nights I'll grab between 2 and 4 hours of sleep and be perfectly fine the good side of this is I then have 20 hours of waking time to fit everything else in. People from EoFF have had perfect examples of this in the past, Psy will of course remember when he came for my birthday, when he first saw me in London that day I was operating on 2 hours sleep in 5 days I was if anything more hyperactive than normal. Accidental all nighters are so common I don't even bother counting them just give me a decent game, tv series on my laptop, book or even just a damn good convo and I can be there all night long silently playing away with it.

The trick however if you wanna go sleep is not to try to go to sleep. This is because if you're focused on going to sleep your brain is too actively thinking "oh no must sleep!" and therefore keeping you awake so the easiest way to get some sleep is to not try. Also sometimes the body will store excess energy (especially if your diet is rich in soda/sugar/caffeine) which will release itself through all nighters at times. Just like sometimes your body will decide it's just too tired and force you to crash deeply for about 10 hours. (sleeping more than 8 hours is unnecessary even if you've been awake for a week. Sleeping more than 10 is just being a lazy git)

Still I'm going to stick to my madcap routine after all no one has ever died from insomina they've generally been killed in accidents blamed on their insomina. I don't drive so hopefully that rules out insomina deaths for me.

Caraliz
07-23-2008, 01:27 AM
My sleep schedule right now is I stay up until about 8am and then go to sleep, wake up at about 6-7pm, rinse and repeat.

I'm a night person. If everything were open 24 hours a day as it should be, I'll bet I wouldn't have to run into any idiots.

Yar
07-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Okay, so it's now hour 37 and I am not tired at all. If I am tired, I sure don't feel like it.

Is this normal? Do I need to get checked out?

Easter Egg
07-23-2008, 03:36 AM
I usually get caught up in some game, like COD(first) or some other game and just lose track of the time. I usually realize it when It's around 5 am, so I just decide to pull the all-nighter.

Momiji
07-23-2008, 03:56 AM
Okay, so it's now hour 37 and I am not tired at all. If I am tired, I sure don't feel like it.

Is this normal? Do I need to get checked out?

No. You'll start hallucinating eventually.

Don't worry, they won't hurt you...

...much.

Yar
07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Well, it's 2:45 am Wednesday, and I FINALLY feel tired. It's been a long forty-two hours, and I feel guilty for not really doing anything. I spent fourteen hours on Final Fantasy IV. Fourteen hours!! I very rarely can sit and just play video games (or do anything for that matter) for longer than two hours chunks.

G'nite. :eep:

Rengori
07-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Those nights are way worse when you try to sleep the entire night, as in not getting out to watch TV or things like that, don't fall asleep until 6:10, wake up at 6:30 and have to go to school.

Jessweeee♪
07-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah...some family came in from Illinois, so we had to make room for everyone. I had to share my room with my little brother and three younger cousins, and they did NOT want to sleep. So I couldn't sleep. They also wiped boogers on my wall. Ew.

KH-Cloudy
07-23-2008, 08:45 AM
The most recent all-nighter I pulled was last year, playing WoW.

It was on a Tuesday morning that I was running an instance with my brother, and my friend in..uh..Blackrock something. Anyways, since it was a Tuesday, it meant maintence day for Wow. So, the three of us were trying to taking down some boss, and I foolishly and half-asleep-ly jump off onto a platform on the lava, and got myself stuck. Then the other two couldn't take the boss down and well...we got disconnect because of maintence. We were so close too, and it was six AM, and I had to go snowboardin' in about an hour.

>.>