PDA

View Full Version : So it's on shelves today.

Jowy
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
General FFIV DS discussion. Getting it when the truck drops it off at GameStop. Ideally, I'd like to be past the Tower of Zot before the end of the day. If nobody else posts or anything, I'll just edit and give some spoiler-free points of interest.

Momiji
07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
ARGH. So much temptation....

NO. NO NO NO. This has to wait until I beat some of the stock of games I bought last month.

Shoeberto
07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I want to pick it up today. Hopefully Wal Mart will have it in stock whenever I go.

Yar
07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.

There are lotsa changes that I've noticed, like Rydia learning lots of spells that are actually useful like Cura and Raise and Yang beginning with 889 HP.

This game is tough. REALLY TOUGH. Typical battles are crippling my party at times, and they usually need to just run if they are back attacked or surprised.

I've just finished with Fabul. Ready to get on the boat. Here's to hoping they don't see any mythical beasts on their way to Baron! :D

Magixion
07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Argh! The torment is killing me! I can't pick it up until about 5 when I get home from class. Then, I will be playing it all night so I can catch up to you all!

Here is to Kain, the most badass FF character evar!

Vermachtnis
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
So unfair. I have a paid for copy at the Gamestop but no way to get down there.

Avarice-ness
07-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Eh, I might get it only because I'll be stuck in a car for two days driving to my husbands basic training graduation.

The only thing that sucks about that, is that I'm letting him have the DS after he graduates so I'll only get less that 2 days of gameplay in and then I won't be seeing it for a few months.

With that said, I won't be buying it unless he wants it.

Yar
07-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Also learned something new! :)

After Cecil's um...conversion, he SUCKS. He hit for a whopping 7 damage and the attack was labeled "WEAKNESS!!"

Ya gotta level 'im.

Depression Moon
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.

There are lotsa changes that I've noticed, like Rydia learning lots of spells that are actually useful like Cura and Raise and Yang beginning with 889 HP.

This game is tough. REALLY TOUGH. Typical battles are crippling my party at times, and they usually need to just run if they are back attacked or surprised.

I've just finished with Fabul. Ready to get on the boat. Here's to hoping they don't see any mythical beasts on their way to Baron! :D
Rydia learning Cura and Raise? Now that kills her being classified as a Black Mage or Summoner.

Yar
07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Rydia learning Cura and Raise? Now that kills her being classified as a Black Mage or Summoner.

This is as a child, when she has always been able to use white magics.

Jowy
07-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Egads all of the character models are SO CUTE. I want to hug Rydia.

Just got to Damcyan. Kain sounds GRIMDARK AND EVIL and Tellah sounds exactly like the librarian from Symphony of the Night.

Yar
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Is there something wrong with me that I keep reading the twins' action as "Twincest" rather than "Twincast"? :eek:

That goes back to that dyslexia thread I made...

Momiji
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Who hasn't wanted to?

Is there something wrong with me that I keep reading the twins' action as "Twincest" rather than "Twincast"? :eek:

That goes back to that dyslexia thread I made...

Either or works for me. :p

Yar
07-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Who hasn't wanted to?

Are we talking CP Rydia, or smexxy "it's okay to feel this way" Rydia? :shifty:

The characters look great in 3D. I can't wait to see Edge, though. I think he looks the coolest, especially in 3D. The bosses look better too. Scarmiglione scared me at first.

Raebus
07-22-2008, 11:55 PM
I'll be playing this in 10 minutes or so, I shall give my opinion on it then.

Yar
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Someone owes me $20. I now have proof that "Cagnazzo" is pronounced the Italian way.

Lots of this game's names are Italian, or at least Italian sounding. Rosa and [R/L]ydia for examples.

I don't think I'll be putting this down anytime soon.

D.Knight
07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
I now kinda want this really bad. I'll have to wait.

Exdeath
07-23-2008, 12:29 AM
How's the battle theme? Did they do it right, or does it sound better/worse?

Jowy
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Rydia's Mathemagic Minute can go smurf itself.

Battle theme sounds fine.

*editga* Just got my ASS KICKED by Scarmiglione.

Yar
07-23-2008, 01:58 AM
How's the battle theme? Did they do it right, or does it sound better/worse?

Battle themes are for the most part unchanged. They sound a bit different, but they're still great. The music sounds more orchestral (not a whole lot though) than just some midi beats.

EDIT: Has anyone yet noticed that battles can be dealt with with one hand? L acts as A and you just use the D-Pad. Unless of course you want to cancel an action, then you have to use B.

EDIT ver2.0: Apparently this also works outside of battles. It doesn't seem to work in menus though, L and R are reserved for switching between characters.

EDIT ver2.1: I remember Dragon Quest VIII using this method as well. I hope we continue to see it in further installments to the series.

Jowy
07-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Oh yeah, there was no somethingawful.com reference at the beginning of the game this time either. :aimcry:

Shoeberto
07-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Grr! Wal Mart didn't have it. Can't justify driving half an hour to pick it up at a Gamestop.

I'm really hoping they'll have it tomorrow :(

Jowy
07-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Protip: Heal Scarmiglione to death, he doesn't counterattack that way.

Yar
07-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Grr! Wal Mart didn't have it. Can't justify driving half an hour to pick it up at a Gamestop.

I'm really hoping they'll have it tomorrow :(

Wal-Mart is terrible at stocking new games. You can ask if they have it in the back, that's how I got my DS Lite.

You could also order online. :rolleyes3

Shoeberto
07-23-2008, 02:47 AM
I actually asked the guy there, just to see if they had it in the back or something. He said they didn't get any shipments today, so I figured unless he was lying to me they just didn't have it.

They had the strategy guide, though!

Yar
07-23-2008, 02:57 AM
I actually asked the guy there, just to see if they had it in the back or something. He said they didn't get any shipments today, so I figured unless he was lying to me they just didn't have it.

They had the strategy guide, though!

I actually considered buying the strategy guide. I don't know why. I've beat the game at least twenty times.

I guess it's just my unconditional love for it.

Jowy
07-23-2008, 05:00 AM
They really spike the difficulty curve after you arrive in Mysidia. I'm not used to Cagnazzo being hard. :aimcry:

Yar
07-23-2008, 05:19 AM
They really spike the difficulty curve after you arrive in Mysidia. I'm not used to Cagnazzo being hard. :aimcry:

Well you haven't met Dark Elf yet. Good luck. He was really tough.

I'm trying to level Cecil to 35 for Zot. Hopefully Kain and Rosa still join at Cecil's level.

Magixion
07-23-2008, 06:16 AM
I just got to Mysidia. I have realized that I have been pronouncing a couple names wrong as well. I guess it's good that they had voices just for the simple reason to correct my pronunciation.

Dragonsoul
07-23-2008, 06:22 AM
I've decided to cut back on the games I'm playing from now on. So I don't have this game yet, but I'll eventually play it, maybe in 2010. It'll be a while since I have other games to beat first. I'm beating only three games for the rest of the year...

Final Fantasy I(PSP)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift(DS)
Mass Effect(PC) <---I will upgrade my pc for this! :)

I beat Final Fantasy IV before for the Super Nintendo but it's been many years since that time. I don't know if I've beaten the game more than one time but I give the game a 9.5/10 score!

Final Fantasy IV(DS) players, I have a homework assignment for you. Go to the official Japanese website for the game...
FINAL FANTASY IV (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff4ds/main.html)
After watching the intro click on Movie. Then on the top left under Promotion Movie click on Large Size. Watch that trailer, I think it's the first trailer released for the game. It's one of the greatest trailers in history! What do you think of it? :)

Yar
07-23-2008, 06:29 AM
2010? I don't know that I could wait that long. Hell, I only waited 15 minutes after GameStop opened to get this, and it's been my off-and-on day project today.

Why are you putting a schedule on how many games you want to beat this year? Games aren't meant to be tasks, they're s'posed-ta be for fun! :) Pick 'em up and put 'em down whenever you want.

I don't mean to, but I seem to rotate through the year the same way. Final Fantasy dominates my summer, while simulation games like Sims or Animal Crossing seem to be all I play in the winter. :/

Arc_Master_14
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
I got it but I haven't touched it yet. Too busy catching up on manga cuz I got behind due to FFTA2

EDIT okay got through the beginning but WTF Sessil? I always thought it as Seesill

Magixion
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I got it but I haven't touched it yet. Too busy catching up on manga cuz I got behind due to FFTA2

EDIT okay got through the beginning but WTF Sessil? I always thought it as Seesill

I know how ya feel Arc. I have been pronouncing it wrong all this time as well. Same with Eidolon. I was saying Idle-on not Idle-in. Also with Yang! I called him Yay-ng when it is actually Young (which does make sense now that I think about it.)

Vermachtnis
07-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I have a friend in real life and that's how he pronounces it.

I know how ya feel Arc. I have been pronouncing it wrong all this time as well. Same with Eidolon. I was saying Idle-on not Idle-in. Also with Yang! I called him Yay-ng when it is actually Young (which does make sense now that I think about it.)

So that's how you say Eidolon. Also Yang as lost some awesome points.

Yar
07-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Congratulations! Your Rydia just evolved into a complete babe! :cool:

I'm glad they are clarifying pronunciations now.

Golbez was a BEAST in the battle with he's a lot like Hein from Final Fantasy III, except this time around, any magic that isn't his weakness heals him. A lot.

Jowy
07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Dammit, man! Take a break for two hours so I can catch up.

Trudging through the Tower of Zot. I honestly didn't have any problems with Dark Elf. 3x Focus with two Fire Claws hits for about 3K, combined with Firaga, Cecil on healing, and Cid with a Fire-property weapon and I took him down fast.

I guess I missed a bunch of augments too. Oh well.

Yar
07-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Dammit, man! Take a break for two hours so I can catch up.

:cry:

I have things I have to do anyway. I just don't want to do them! :p

Arc_Master_14
07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Lol even funnier I was watching Xplay and Adam Sessler said Seesill and I started laughing really hard

Jowy
07-23-2008, 11:01 PM
CHEATING AT MINI-GAMES 101:

Rydia's Mathemagic Minute: Close the DS, solve the problem on some paper, enter it in quickly.

Rosa's Measured Meditations: Online Stopwatch (http://www.online-stopwatch.com/)

Cecil's Goblin Gauntlet: Get a plastic fork and cradle it back and forth across the screen, it'll hit all three rows of goblins.

Kain's Highjump Hijinks: Put it on a flat surface, stylus in one hand, Lego Knight's Kingdom Lance (use whatever, it's what I had handy.) in the other.

Enjoy your costumes for those four, haven't progressed enough in the game to play Edge's yet.

*editga* The White Mage outfit looks HORRIBLE on that little thing.

Yar
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Mini-games? Haven't yet seen any.

I just beat Dr. Lugae, who is definitely one of the bosses whose strategy they've changed and whose difficulty they've upped.

I died at least fifteen times.

Jowy
07-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Fat Chocobo lets you play minigames to increase the stats of Rydia's Whyt summon.

On my way to the tower to die at Lugae 15 times. :aimsad:

WHY IS THERE A TITLE SCREEN MENU ON THE SAVE GAME BUTTON JESUS FUCK DIUEIOUDHDH ARGH

Shoeberto
07-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Got it today! I like the case.

Only played about half an hour. I'll most likely really start digging into it tomorrow on my trip to Tennessee. Too sleepy right now to want to deal mych.

Yar
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
On my way to the tower to die at Lugae 15 times. :aimsad:

I think I died that much because I was learning how to make a strategy. I've sworn NOT to look at ANY strategy guides or FAQs for this.

Plus I might've been a bit weak. I was only lower 40's.

I found an item I think was called the Eblana Sutra. I used it and the weird music started playing and Cecil said "Whew."

Jowy
07-24-2008, 01:24 AM
So far two wipes at Lugae, both times Rosa wound up dying due to self-destructs from the previous phase. Having to climb the tower again because I didn't save wound up being beneficial. I got the Stoneblade and Giant Gloves from monsters on the way back up a second time. God, what a hard boss though. Current levels are 38~40, probably should grind a bit, eh?

Yar
07-24-2008, 01:39 AM
I think I'm about 44-47 and Edge at 39. I'm at Rubicante, who's beat me once.

I needed to take a break to get some work done.

I must say, this is the hardest Final Fantasy I've ever played.
You thought X was hard? X's got nothing on this.

EDIT: This is great. I'm finding more success between the two of us than I have in any Eyes on Plays..., and this game is next month! What am I going to do?

Jowy
07-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Yeah, my head hurts after staring at the DS all day. Probably gonna grind everyone up to at least 40 before the third attempt. Are you using augments at all, or just letting them pile up?

Yar
07-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Yeah, my head hurts after staring at the DS all day. Probably gonna grind everyone up to at least 40 before the third attempt. Are you using augments at all, or just letting them pile up?

Not even going to touch augments. Trying to keep the game as true as possible. I think that they shouldn't be in the game, but at least they're avoidable. It's not like in the III remake where some of the changes were permanent and unavoidable.

Maybe in a New Game Plus I'll use them. This time around, no.

Jowy
07-24-2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I'm skipping them too. I guess they soften the difficulty a bit, but I want a challenge.

Hah, Lugae's kinda easy if you take something into consideration:

Reverse Beam makes healing effects damage, and damaging effects healing. Therefore chucking an elixir at him is the equivalent of throwing water at the Wicked Witch, if you catch my drift. :aimwink:

Yar
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Hm. If only I would've had some at the time. :p

Wow, grinding is difficult on the moon. I think that you actually may get more EXP with easier in the Sealed Cave.

Jowy
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Bah, you'll have it finished tonight. :(

Clearing the Tower again to get to Rubicante.

Trance_Kuja
07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
It's an amazing remake, it's like a brand new experience yet still retains all the beauty that FFIV was.

I finished the Tower of Zot last night, but I accidentillay knocked my DS and it crashed :(

Have to restart the Tower again, but oh well.

Yar
07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
The added story content is amazing. I won't go into detail, because even with spoiler tags it's better that you see it for yourself. I'll just say that if fills a few plotholes and gives nice information regarding the overall story that couldn't have been in the SNES becuase of memory restrictions.

Jowy
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
One-shotted Rubicante, now for the goddamn Sylph cave. :aimcry:

CloudDragon
07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
This may be the game that convinces me to get a DS.

Magixion
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
This is definitely a great game. I am just about heading up the Tower Of Babil, and I must admit, I have thoroughly enjoyed this entire game. I cannot complain at all.

Jowy
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
Leviathan's hard.

Wolf Kanno
07-25-2008, 02:47 AM
I'm currently broke and jobless at the moment so it will be awhile before I can play this but a friend of mine showed me the opening of the game and a bit of the cave where you get Tellah for the first time. I must say, seeing the game in action is breathtaking to say the least. I hope to be playing it soon cause I've been anticipating it since it was first announced.

Arthurdent_78
07-25-2008, 03:07 AM
I totally love the game so far, but what's the deal with the limited battle background changes? This isn't terrible except when your fighting the fish in the waterway...they are swimming in mid-air! Am I missing something? Also, the background's not different when your walking on shoreline.

Although, that doesn't take away from how awesome everything else is:)

Yar
07-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Leviathan's hard.

You're telling me. I figured the key to the battle was... get enough HP to survive a Deluge attack. :rolleyes2

Rase
07-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Buying this tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. :)

Dragonsoul
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Excellent! Yea it's a great game, one of the more popular Final Fantasy games. Probably the most popular Final Fantasy's are these ones? ...

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X

...I don't think that the recent main Final Fantasy games(XI, X-2, XII) are in general as popular as those ones. Let's hope that FF XIII, FF Versus XIII, FF Agito XIII, and FF Haeresis XIII(Rapture?) are up to the highest levels of Final Fantasy legendary styles! :)

Rase
07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Picked it up, along with Etrian Odyssey II (had to meet my quotient of difficult RPG's for the year). Decided to see just how far I could get playing it the way I always have. At exactly one hour into it I walked into the Underwater Passage, got jumped by three Tiny Mages and a Sahagin, and got decimated by Thunder and Blizzard. So much for that.

I must say, I am pleased and surprised at how difficult it is (when did Larva learn freaking Slow?!). Well worth the $40.

Yar
07-26-2008, 01:08 AM
Well, the battle with Zeromus was going great! (And it turns out, the pronunciation is Zeh-roh-muss, not Zee-roe-muss)

I knocked off ~60,000 HP and he had only used Black Hole and Osmose! :D Then he used Big Bang :(, and he knocked off ~6,000 HP each to my level 65+ warriors.

Gotta try again.

Vermachtnis
07-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Does anyone else think those birds from Kain's Highjinks are distant cousins to the birds in the FFX minigame xD?

Jowy
07-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Well, the battle with Zeromus was going great! (And it turns out, the pronunciation is Zeh-roh-muss, not Zee-roe-muss)

I knocked off ~60,000 HP and he had only used Black Hole and Osmose! :D Then he used Big Bang :(, and he knocked off ~6,000 HP each to my level 65+ warriors.

Gotta try again.

Ouch. And I thought I was ahead of the game since my current party is 61~64 in the Giant of Babil. Got slaughtered by Rubicante, since I can't carry my strategy from the last fight with him over to this one. Gonna probably have to grind to 75+ to beat him, I guess. :aimcry: I hope to be a pile of bones at the center of the moon tonight.

Yar
07-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Yays! I've done it! My levels were Kain 64, Rosa 66, Cecil 67, Rydia 66, Edge 63.

That's strange, because that's what my levels typically are in the SNES/GBA version, but at area's this time around I was at strangely high levels in different places comparatively. Such as level 45 and Rubicante (first fight) when I'm usually ike 30~35ish.

So it is possible Jowy! :D It should actually be easier for you because your levels are higher than mine. I was 55-58ish in Giant of Babil, and 59-62ish entering the core.

Anticipation plays a great deal in the Zeromus fight.

By the way, Cid gets the "best line in the game" To Cecil and Rosa- "You'll have time later to get all that lovey-dovey stuff out of your system!" :lol::lol:

Jowy
07-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I noticed my levels being higher than usual as well. I never have Blizzaga when I get to the first encounter with Rubicante, nor Thundaga for Odin. Died again at Rubicante in the four fiends encounter, I probably just need to slow down the damage I'm trying to toss at him while his cloak's up.

Roogle
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I am currently at the Lodestone Cavern. I like the new translation and the throwbacks to other, recent Final Fantasy games as it establishes core themes and terminology in the Final Fantasy series.

Jowy
07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
So Jamil, what's your stance on the increased difficulty?

Yar
07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Jowy have you finished yet?

Jowy
07-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Nope, taking an intermission because I keep getting my head handed to me by the CPU/Attacker/Defender. Probably gonna try and pick it up tomorrow, three deaths on it today was sort of stressful.

Dr. Acula
07-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Do they have the spoony bard line?

Raebus
07-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Yep that line is still in there.

Vermachtnis
07-30-2008, 03:59 AM
Nope, taking an intermission because I keep getting my head handed to me by the CPU/Attacker/Defender. Probably gonna try and pick it up tomorrow, three deaths on it today was sort of stressful.

Well good luck. That fight for me involved praying that I'll kill Attacker before he kills me. But the new scenes are well worth it.

Yar
07-30-2008, 04:59 AM

That battle requires two things luck and strategy. You have to use a different method than the one from SNESFirst you have to pray you aren't killed by the laser barrage. Then attack the Attacker first, rather than the Defender. Then try to hit the CPU harder than the Defender can heal. Then the Defender must die.;)

ljkkjlcm9
07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
I picked up this game. But between work, FFTA2, and the other games i have, I don't have tons of time for this one. I've only played for maybe an hour. If I get really into it, it'd be awhile before I go back to FFTA2, and I want to finish that first.

I'm liking the changes so far, it has a completely different feel to it. I also think it's hilarious/awesome that they made Kain sound so much more bad ass than Cecil, basically because they knew they had to.

THE JACKEL

Rase
07-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Screw you Dark Elf!

rubah
07-31-2008, 02:40 AM
I am about to embark on the ^^^ quest and I have to say this has been very nice to play so far.

(it's stu's game and ds and I am further than he is atm)

Roogle
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
So Jamil, what's your stance on the increased difficulty?

The increased difficulty is a refreshing change of pace. I enjoy having to use status effects on my enemies as a precursor to a smooth fight, and I enjoy having to regularly heal my party members rather than just blasting an occasional high level healing spell.

Xalioniaf
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I gave Kain Cry.
Serves you right, twice-backstabbing pansy.
And it's mighty useful.

.Yoi
07-31-2008, 11:16 PM
I just barely got my Cecil's class change. Damn, I forgot to remove all his equipment before entering that place. T_T

Xalioniaf
08-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Doesn't really matter. It sets you back a handful of gil, but nothing a quick raid of Eblan when you get the airship won't fix.

The Watcher
08-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Just picked it up earlier, and this is the first real chance for me to play it.
I noticed the spoken dialogue near the beginning, but then it was just manual text when Cecil talked to King Baron. How much of the game is roughly spoken/regular text?
That being said, im really excited to play this game a 2nd time through. Personally it has been the most engaging FF for me ^^

Xalioniaf
08-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Anyone know if Mystery Egg is added to the bestiary?

Ultima Shadow
08-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Nooooes! The old adult-Rydia (the sprite-version in the original SNES game + the GBA version) looked much sexier than this new one! I'm dissapointed! Her lips are green, her hair is not quite like it's supposed to be and she got a cape! Also, her hair-thingy has a blue gem instead of a red one! The red one was sooo much sexier! And her face in general is just... less sexy. =(

Pretty much everything else about the game kicks ass, though. And Rydia is TEH HAWTNESS in the intro-sequence.:greenie:

Edit: Oh yeah, and I just beat Dr. Lug-something. Died 3 times before I finally beat him, and when I beat him it was a really close one. Toughest boss by far so far.

My characters have currently the following levels: Cecil: 44, Rydia: 44, Kain: 41, Yang: 40, Rosa: 38.

Did someone actually bother exploring the entire babel Tower? I only think I explored about 60-70% of the entire tower, so I might have missed some cool stuff. I remember getting the Ice Sheild, Killer Bow, Green Beret (though it's not that good) and uh... Ice Armor, I think. Is there any other "cool" stuff in the tower?

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that Cid's suicide-bombing was even more hilarious this time around.

The Watcher
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Update:
Just got to the Baigan-Cagnazzo double boss match. I remember baigan being annoying with his Reflect (which kills blizzaga, his weakness, and twincast, most of the time.) that only goes down when you kill the other parts of his body first. So that part wasn't bad, just tedious.
Cagnazzo though, dddaaammmnnnn.....
I heard from people that the game got an upgrade in difficulty, but so far i had handled everything pretty well. Only lost to Scarmiligone once, and that was because i didnt heal up before.
But no, with Cagnazzo, even when fully healed his tsunami just said goodbye to like, everyone of importance (the mages). And i had no phoenix downs ><

So far, im not playing with augments (dont really understand them). Other changes that i think are contributing to the challengingness are counters. It has been years since i played it on the GBA, but i dont remember counters being as numerous as they are now.

Meh, oh well...i expect to be at babel tonight...i hope. Problem is that after the Dark Elf, the game goes out of order for me. Like i remember the dwarves, meetin Edge and the final battle, but they get jumbled up :(

Yar
08-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Meh, oh well...i expect to be at babel tonight...i hope. Problem is that after the Dark Elf, the game goes out of order for me. Like i remember the dwarves, meetin Edge and the final battle, but they get jumbled up :(

Huh? It's always gone Elf, Tower of Zot, Dwarvenmidgets, Bab'il Part I, Edge, Bab'il Part II, Sealed Cave, Moon.

rubah
08-02-2008, 08:54 PM
man, the tower of zot is owning me pretty hard, but nothing a bunch of running away hasn't fixed.

Encountered the Magus Sisters and owned them pretty easily. Perhaps I should've took mindy down before cindy? I dunno. Not difficult at all though.

I'm really glad about the map % completion thing. I would definitely not spend so much time walking around (and levelling up) if not for trying to get that one last measly percentage point.

Xalioniaf
08-02-2008, 09:19 PM
@Ultima Shadow: Some of the lower floor maps you'll complete after the Rubicante fight.
@The Watcher: You can take down his water-covering thing with a thunder spell. It also prevents his Tsunami.

The Watcher
08-03-2008, 08:49 AM
@Yaridovich
Thanks for setting me straight, but the last time i played the game and beat it was 2 years ago during the middle of school. I played on buses, during breaks, even during lunch and pep assemblies. I used quicksave often XD But all the breaks really made me lose a sense of progression if you will. I can remember where i was when i was playing through some events or bosses, but couldnt really place them on the timeline?
I hope that makes sense. If not, sorry for confusing you, but its the best i can do.
@Xalioniaf
Yeah, i knew about the thunder spell with wall, but thanks for the added tidbit on Tsunami. Did not know that. My main strat was just having Tellah thundaga every turn with porom thundaraing, palom as healing, and yang + cecil as attackers. Worked pretty well.

Though i finally beat cagnazzo on the second time, and this time his tsunami only completely downed Yang, so he missed out on some sweet XP. Nothin a little grinding wont fix.
XD

KH-Cloudy
08-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I completely forgot about the thunder removing water effect. If I knew that, I wouldn't died as much. xD

Cecil seemed like the only person to ever survive the Tsunami, until I level'd up some more.

Ultima Shadow
08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
@Ultima Shadow: Some of the lower floor maps you'll complete after the Rubicante fight.
Aha! Thanks.

And uh... are my levels too high or something? Because as far as the increased difficulty goes, I actually remember FF4 being harder than it is right now (that doctor is the only exception). So far, I have only had 4 Game Overs. Once on Mombomb and 3 times on the Doctor.
I just entered Babil Tower for the second time (chasing Rubicante. I now have Edge) and my current levels are the following: Rydia: 48, Cecil: 47, Kain: 44, Rosa: 41 and Edge: 37.

I have never power-leveled, but I also never run from battles (until recently, to avoid EXP gain) since it's usually both faster (or at least equally fast) and safer (especially safer) to just kill the enemies instead of trying to run from them.

Ever since I put "Draw Attack" (best ability EVER) combined with Counter (second best ability... EVER) on Cecil, every battle except that crazy Doctor has been a complete cakewalk. All you have to do is defend with Cecil and have the rest of your team attack (and have Rosa use Cure on Cecil every now and then or Prayer). All the enemies do is attack Cecil, dealing minimal damage since he is defending, and then he will counter. The enemies only attack other partymembers when they use attacks that damage your whole team. And on top of that, Cecil is apparently immune to certain attacks like "Blaster" (each time a Blaster has hit Cecil it has said "No Effect"). So basically, Cecil is like a Wobuffet in pokemon (for those who doesn't know, it's a very cheap pokemon that is banned in tournaments simply because it has so high HP that it won't ever go down, and will "counter" your opponent's pokemons to death without fail), except better. It's just crazy.

KH-Cloudy
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Ultima, what does Draw Attacks do?
Is it like a taunt?

Vermachtnis
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Is it like a taunt?

Except it's passive, meaning it's always on.

KH-Cloudy
08-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Is it like a taunt?

Except it's passive, meaning it's always on.

Ohh..thank you.:D

Xalioniaf
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Currently have my Cecil with Kick/Draw Attacks/Counter/Level Lust. It's rather hilarious to have him counter with Kick every time he's attacked by enemies.

rubah
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
man, just when Adult Rydia showed up, Golbez kicked my ass really hard.

Yar
08-03-2008, 08:02 PM

That battle took me by surprise. You just have to pay attention to barrier shift. ;)

Ultima Shadow
08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Ashura and Leviathan are now in my grasp (Leviathan killed me twice, by the way). Leviathan's summoning sequence looks the coolest so far. :cool:

Next up: Sealed Cave.:greenie:

rubah
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM

That battle took me by surprise. You just have to pay attention to barrier shift. ;)

it's a moot point if I can't keep people alive long enough to cast spells/summons. Which apparently I can't!

Xalioniaf
08-04-2008, 12:42 AM
I forget what Golbez does during that fight that's so threatening. If anything, try to get your buffs on Cecil before everything starts going to hell.

rubah
08-04-2008, 05:43 AM
sap is pretty debilating, and the level-2 black magic is horrible, but what's worst is when he gets low on mp and starts osmosing me to death.

I'd like to know how he absorbs damage from the sword that casts stone on you. That boggled my mind. Did they add stone as its own special element?

The Watcher
08-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Holy Damnfudge
serves me right to enjoy the experience ><
so i got to Zot, then to the possessed dolls, and the reentry of our favorite female supporting charachter XD
and then i died ><
*sigh* back to the battle before barbaricca again...least i can see meteor for another time ^^

rubah
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
you seriously didn't save since then? @_@

The Watcher
08-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Sorry, maybe i didnt make myself clear.
I got rid of Sandy, Mindy, and Cindy? Then saved...
and played to Golbez fight w/black dragon...
then died ><
doh!

snacks
08-05-2008, 03:18 AM
*snacks goes to buy ds and game

rubah
08-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I understood you, I just didn't understand why you didn't save on the world map when you had to leave the tower of zot and go like, underground x.x;

golbez went down nice and easy after I gained a few levels and cecil picked up Raise 8)

Does anyone else use a watch with a second hand when doing Rosa's whyt training? :D And I will be able to train his speed when I get Edge, yesyes?

Ultima Shadow
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
And I will be able to train his speed when I get Edge, yesyes?
Yup. And Edge's minigame is the easiest... by far. It's not hard at all to get max-points (9999 points) in Edge's mini game. Just make it to 7000 points and then finish off the Malboro.

And when you get 9999, you get a sexy new suit for your Whyt! =D

I just beat the Demon Wall. He, too, was much easier than I remembered him to be. Then again, there are demon walls in other FFs too, so I might have thought of some other demon wall. Still, since Crush seems to be his only attack, a few Pheonix Downs is all you need to beat this one with ease.

Current Levels: Rydia: 55, Cecil: 53, Kain: 51, Rosa: 49, Edge: 48

Avarice-ness
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
You know what's horrible.

FFIV-DS caused a marital argument between my husband and I. xD

We went to gamestop and he wanted to get FFIV-DS then realized that he would have my DS, so he wanted to buy me a pink DS and a copy of FFIV-DS for me and.. well we didn't have that kind of money and we ended up arguing loudly in gamestop for like 10 minutes.

He still got FFIV-DS and I won the arguement, and so I watched him play it for a while. It's pretty to look at.

I just don't like that Cecil is Sesil. I always called him See-Sil. :(

rubah
08-06-2008, 04:21 AM
I got about halfway up the tower of babil and now I can't play again until august 22nd;.;

Roogle
08-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I just don't like that Cecil is Sesil. I always called him See-Sil. :(

I agree. I pronounced it like that, too. I think that the official pronounciation sounds more appealing to the Japanese audience.

Magixion
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Ack, I just realized I kinda stopped playing when I got busy with school again. Time to start back up and actually head to the moon! Whoo!

Also, about the pronunciation of Cecil, I always said See-sil as well, which is the correct way to say it in english (at least I think so.) Though, I dislike that because it is derived from Japanese they changed it... Lame eh?

KH-Cloudy
08-07-2008, 01:25 AM
See-sil sounds tougher than Ses-sill.

rubah
08-07-2008, 06:11 AM
I worked with a Cecil once. I think his was pronounced the other way than it is in the game, but the way in the game was the way I originally pronounced it so I can never be for sure which was the way his name was really pronounced, but I'm glad it's see-sil because thats easier for me to remember. So it must've been my cecil was a ses-ill.

Yar
08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
No, Rubah. You got it backward! :mog: Your Cecil is "Cecil," not "Cecil"!

I do know that Sideshow Bob's brother's name is pronounced Seh-sil, so that's how I pronounce "Cecil."

Elly
08-07-2008, 03:40 PM
isn't the way the game pronounces it the English (Brittish) way of pronouncing it... i remember a Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob's brother Cecil showed up and tried to blow up a dam and they pronounced it like the game does... the episode was "The Brother From Another Network"...

Avarice-ness
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
isn't the way the game pronounces it the English (Brittish) way of pronouncing it... i remember a Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob's brother Cecil showed up and tried to blow up a dam and they pronounced it like the game does... the episode was "The Brother From Another Network"...

You're prolly right. I remember that episode and it is "Ses-il" I guess in America I've heard of "See-Sils" and the fem form "See-seel" "Cecil" and "Cecile".

Wolf Kanno
08-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Its possibly a difference in pronunciation. There's and American film called "Cecil B. Demented" and its pronounced See-cil. Course I always pronounced it Se-cil So I'm happy to know I've been pronouncing it correctly. ;)

I think Chocobo has been the only word in the series I never said properly.

Ultima Shadow
08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
*has now beaten the game*

Something kinda funny: my first battle with Zeromus wasn't supposed to be a serious attempt. I went right in, unprepared and with my characters in the mid 60's, which I at that point thought were too low. But then I just beat him like that, on the first try. Survived Meteor thanks to Kain and my Whyt's Jumping. The problem was, I forgot to steal the Dark Matter (since I didn't think I'd actually win) so I had to replay him again (I had also forgotten some cool Augments that I wanted for my New Game+, so I would have replayed him even if I had stolen the Dark Matter, though). Oh well. Whatever.

And at first I thought I'd never be motivated enough to actually replay the game with New Game+, but now I'm already doing it! This time, it will be a solo-Rydia game, though. Well, once I have Adult Rydia, that is. Up to that point, I'll have to play with other characters. :greenie: