PDA

View Full Version : artists vs songs

blackmage_nuke
07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Whenever i get asked the question "What artists/bands do you like?" im stuck for words because i really dont pay attention to bands. I usually like individual songs rather that bands or artists. What annoys me particularly is when someone is browsing through my mp3 player and theyre like "You have [not commonly convieved as a cool(or whatever people are calling good things these days) band/artist] on here!?" and they lol and im like.. "Its just a song, so what?"

What about you? Do you favour a particular band or do you take abit from everyone?

BardTard
07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I do like some bands better than others, but I admit there are songs from some bands I don't usually listen to that I really like.

Roto13
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Every (good) band tends to have it's own (at least slightly) unique style so it makes sense that someone would like many songs from the same band. I'm a fan of certain bands, and I'm also a fan of certain songs from certain other bands I don't particularly care about. :P

Easter Egg
07-23-2008, 04:05 AM
I do both. I'll take songs from random bands, but I usually find that I like most of the songs those bands have composed.

Bunny
07-23-2008, 05:25 AM
I tend to still within my small group of favorite bands because I like the material and I enjoy each and every song by them. Sometimes, however, I do venture out into a new musical genre and pick up one or two new bands to listen to. Quite recently, in fact, I've started to listen to a few new bands including Metro Station, Forever the Sickest Kids, and Boys Like Girls. I am usually not a fan of the genre these bands are classified under, but some of the songs are catchy and I enjoy listening to them when I'm in the mood.

Jessweeee♪
07-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Nowadays I only like four or five songs from a single artist/band xD

Chzn8r
07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Whenever I get into a band, I go for the highest-recommended album first, and I listen to it is a collective from start to finish. If after somewhere between 1 and 3 listens I've decided that I like it, after that I usually keep listening and I can pick out individual favorite songs, or ones which I might tend to ignore in the future. And after that I simply move to the next-highest recommend album and so on until I feel like I've exhausted my interest in hearing more of the band's material. For my favorite bands, this means hearing absolutely everything, but for other more casual interests it might only be 2-3 albums at most.

But I find it best to go into music album-wise; you get the most cohesive sense of exactly where a band or artist was at the time and what their sound was, and all the songs will probably make a lot more sense than if you heard a mix CD spanning a 20-some year career (or whatever). Plus, I like to give every song a fair shot. I'm never going to immediately favor the single(s) above the other songs, in fact I try to ignore which ones were released to radio (if applicable) before even hearing something and then figure it out later.