PDA

View Full Version : Riding bikes

Rye
07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Today was the first day since I was like, 13 that I've ridden my bike. I'm trying to ride my bike at least 45 minutes 5-6 days a week because I wanna lose 15 lbs. It was weird riding again after so long! I kept almost riding onto people's lawns, because steering felt so weird. I felt a little weird, because I don't see many 18 year old girls riding their bikes around still, but whatever!)

I don't get to ride long because my family pestered me not to go long (long story short, I think I have a heart problem, so I'm going to the doctors to get checked tomorrow, so I'm supposed to take it easy today), but it felt really nice riding again. It felt really good having the wind in my (short!) hair, and being able to take out all my stress out on peddling so fast, and then breezing by.

Do you ride your bike often? Do you enjoy it? :jess:

NeoTifa
07-23-2008, 12:16 AM
last time i rode my bike i broke my nose. im done. :p

Madame Adequate
07-23-2008, 12:18 AM
I've not ridden a bike in years and years, since long before my last one got stolen. I did enjoy it though! It feels good.

Well, except that one time I smashed into a truck.

Rye
07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Well, except that one time I smashed into a truck.

WHAT THE HELL?!

Roto13
07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
So much for never forgetting, huh?

Big D
07-23-2008, 12:25 AM
I ride often enough; it's a much cheaper and more efficient way of getting around town. Also good exercise - the kind that lets you go places and see things while you do it.

Heath
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I really need to get myself a bike. Particularly want to get one for the summer and whilst at university. I've not had one since I was about 12, but I used to adore riding my bike. I was walking down along the promenade today and the amount of people that went past on bikes just made me ever so jealous.

Shoeberto
07-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I love bike riding. It was a staple of my childhood, riding around town with friends or cousins. I picked it up again this summer pretty heavy, riding around 10 miles from my house to town and back whenever I decide to have an outing. It's great exercise and very relaxing. Love it.

It kinda sucks at school though, because when my bike had a working tire the hills were so killer it was really hard to go anywhere via bike. But that was also in living at the bottom of the hill.

Rye
07-23-2008, 12:34 AM
So much for never forgetting, huh?

Seriously! I mean, getting on it was fine, but I'd be riding and I'd need to turn a corner and I'd be like WAIT HOW DO I BREAK THIS THING and I put my feet to the ground and skidded and almost ran into a lawn. I did this multiple times. xD

Peegee
07-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I don't ride bikes except at the gym, and I haven't ridden the bikes there in a while since I switch to rock climbing.

Now, riding bikes is awesome. If you can replace your car with a bicycle, you should seriously consider doing it.

D.Knight
07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
I started riding my bike again recently as well. It's fun, just exploring my street and riding down paths.

Rye
07-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Now, riding bikes is awesome. If you can replace your car with a bicycle, you should seriously consider doing it.

I really couldn't, because:

1) I live in the suburbs, which except for the local places I walk/ride to, I'm miles and miles away from places I go to.

2) I drive 40 miles to every work day (20 miles to and back), which I most certainly could not bike. xD

Shiny
07-23-2008, 04:33 AM
I haven't ridden on a bike for more than a few seconds since I was 10. My dad decided to go out and buy me a bike anyway so I can ride as a family with him, my sister and my cousin. I'd rather have a jet ski to ride on tbh.

Jessweeee♪
07-23-2008, 05:52 AM
I almost never rode my bike and I never wanted to. My parents didn't get it and made me learn, and then I proceeded to not ride my bike. They shouldn't get so mad about me wasting a perfectly good bike when I made it clear that I didn't want one in the first place and that it would only go to waste S:

Clouded Sky
07-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Biking is my transportation mode of choice. Or, rather, was until it totally busted when I rode over some train tracks. It didn't when I went over them the first time, but coming back I hit pretty hard, and I thought everything was fine. Until I couldn't pedal. I stopped, saw the chain was a thorough mess, the back tire had popped, rim bent, and the DERAILLEUR SNAPPED off. Argh, that is not cheap. Nor was the bike. I have sent an e-mail to Schwinn but have not heard back. Basically since then I have been heartbroken.

KH-Cloudy
07-23-2008, 06:29 AM
I need a new bike if I were to ride a bike, and before that I need to teach someone how to ride a bike!

Blue Harvest
07-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I never learned to ride a bike. After the way my brother was taught I was all "no thanks". I wouldn't mind learning though. My brother has an awesome bike he never uses.

Levian
07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
My last bike got stolen when I was 18 in a hate crime, so not much since then.

Quindiana Jones
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I love cycling. I sexed up my old mountain bike to make it easier. Slick tires, new gear shift, new chain, new pedals, new seat etc. It's lovely.

Top speed so far: 47MPH going down Enmore Hill. :D BREAKIN' THE LAW! BREAKIN' THE LAW!

Sergeant Hartman
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I used to ride my bike everywhere back in the day, but now I hardly ever ride it.

Also, it's stuck in seventh gear.

Cz
07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I haven't been on a bike in years. I never really did it for fun to begin with, and I like walking enough to travel on foot instead of riding everywhere.

Blue Harvest
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
If I learn I'm riding everywhere. Beats walking and it's faster.

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I tried to ride my bike a week ago which was the first time in a few months. However i couldnt find a pump for my wheels and my helmet was extremely undersized so i went for a jog instead.

Zeldy
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I go on the occasional bike ride with my friends, but only ever at summer, and as this summer has been awful we haven't been on one yet. I kinda enjoy it, I also don't as I'm really un-fit and get stitches all the time xD

I always avoid the bike when I go the gym too, I prefer the tread mill.

Jess
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Only exercise bikes in the gym. Not the ones that move! because I'm injury prone. :jess:

Magixion
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I haven't been on my actual -bike- for years. I do, however, enjoy riding my motorcycle more than I should. Nothing beats speeding down the highway on your motorcycle with the breeze blowing by (I know, I don't get exercise this way but that's why I go to the gym!)

Breine
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Since I don't have a driver's licence I either walk or ride my bike when I have something to do outside my home.

... and so, I ride my bike pretty much everyday. It's a nice way of getting where you need to go imo.

Rye
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I am so horribly out of shape. xD Riding with moderate intensity for a half hour exhausted me! It might have also been the heat though conributing though, because I got a big headache, and that's mostly what killed me. Being out in too much heat gives me the biggest headaches. I guess even going out early in the morn' doesn't help when it's a heat wave!

I'll have to start going out in the evening now again, since I'm back to work tomorrow. ;;

capricious
07-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Last time I rode my brother's bike was about 7-8 years ago.. :eep: I use to use it almost everyday. Now, I walk a lot... And stick to that. Although I might start rollerskating one day...

bipper
07-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I used to race BMX for redine in an armature circuit managed by a buncha us 'then' teens. Well, about 10 years later, I bought a Haro x2 tricked out for racing.

I am loosing weight like a crazy fat man on speed(which is half right - I don't do the drug thing). I found out I am still fast as hell; I took second in a dirt track with out any prior conditioning (I test drove the bike), and I just started again. So yeah, I am a kick ass bike enthusiest and back in the dirt, kicking it.

Oh, and my asthma is worse then ever. :/

crono_logical
07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I learnt to cycle when I was 24 :D Good choice too, it's actually currently faster for me to cycle to work (and cheaper) than to use other methods like public transport, London being the way it is :p Strangely enough, I also find I'm less tired after cycling home than if I take public transport on the occasional day I'm working somewhere where it's not practical to cycle to :p

Balzac
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I used to cycle a hellof a lot. Upto 60 miles every other day. Now though, I'm a lazy bastard and cba.