PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Connection Issues.

Momiji
07-23-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm trying to connect to Xbox Live on my other 360 from my bedroom. Our main computer/router is about 30 feet from this system, and I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

I've tried multiple theories on connecting from my laptop to my router, to no avail. I've mentioned many times before that I'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to networking, so I guessed it wouldn't hurt to try out different ideas.

However, the bottom line that I'm trying to get to is: What is the best way to get my 360 to connect to the internet that doesn't require me to shell out $100+ on a wireless adapter?

Arc_Master_14
07-23-2008, 12:54 AM
I remember there being a NYKO* i think one for about half the price. Not sure if its Nyko but there is one.

Big Ogre Umaro
07-23-2008, 04:12 AM
My favorite solution (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020801&p_id=2158&seq=1&format=2). If you're on the ground floor, drilling a couple holes in the ground and routing the wire into the crawlspace under your house is in my opinion the best way to go. I don't know what the layout of your house is (I swear) so this may or may not be practical.

If you absolutely REQUIRE wireless, follow this guide (http://blogs.msdn.com/dawate/archive/2007/07/18/xbox-360-networking-with-a-laptop-s-wireless-connection.aspx).

This method requires a crossover cable, found here (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=2295&seq=1&format=2).

Yamaneko
07-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Go with the CAT6 option. I don't know how wireless is with the 360, but on the PS3 it's pretty terrible if the line-of-sight isn't clear between console and router.

Crawl space/attic works best, but you can always run it against the walls and then use some industrial-size staples to keep them flush.

Samuraid
07-23-2008, 07:22 AM
AFAIK, it shouldn't require a crossover cable connection between an Xbox360 and a network switch (or a router with a built-in switch).
EDIT: Nevermind, it seems you were referring to the guide.

Also, Cat6 cable is overkill for this purpose and more expensive than Cat5.

crono_logical
07-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Clearly you want Cat6a spec cable in case you get 10gbps ethernet in a few years time :D

But yeah, I always find cables more reliable than wireless, just buy yourself a 20m Cat5e cable or something (or measure the distance beforehand, though extra few metres won't harm though) and tack it along the walls and stuff, that's all I usually do when connecting cables at home. I've found 20m more than enough for connecting stuff between floors at home so far without any drilling :p With newer home switches and routers, you probably won't have to worry about stuff like crossover cable or not either, since they (or the computer device on the other end) are usually intelligent enough to sort themselves out these days :p

Momiji
07-30-2008, 03:40 AM
UPDATE: I picked up a 50' CAT5 ethernet cable today, and everything is running smoothly. Thank you~