PDA

View Full Version : Feminists BAWWWWWW over Sony's upcoming 'Fat Princess'

Momiji
07-23-2008, 03:22 AM
So it begins: Feminist gamers decry Sony's Fat Princess - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/22/so-it-begins-feminist-gamers-decry-sonys-fat-princess/)

Here we go again with someone taking unnecessary offense at a game. In 'Fat Princess', you feed a princess who is thin lots of food so she becomes harder to capture. However, some feminists are taking offense to that, because...well, I'm not exactly sure, but they're offended.

Interesting fact: The concept artist for this game is female.

Roto13
07-23-2008, 03:27 AM
I thought it was the most charming thing at E3. :P

Bahamut2000X
07-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Ya cause obviously corporations care about what some no named group and people have to bitch about. :rolleyes2

Avarice-ness
07-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Another reason to dislike feminists.

xD This game looks awesome though. <3

For some reason, I always thought if you were a gamer you'd have a sense of humor, but I guess since they're FEMINIST gamers they don't have one.
What would they rather have, a thousand lara croft esque games or a game where you make a skinny princess fat so she can't be stolen? Come on now.

Momiji
07-23-2008, 03:35 AM
For some reason, I always thought if you were a gamer you'd have a sense of humor, but I guess since they're FEMINIST gamers they don't have one.
What would they rather have, a thousand lara croft esque games or a game where you make a skinny princess fat so she can't be stolen? Come on now.

My question is, are these feminists who are complaining actually gamers, or someone who has sold their soul and devoted their lives to prove that men are scum and and all women are goddesses? :p

Avarice-ness
07-23-2008, 03:38 AM

My question is, are these feminists who are complaining actually gamers, or someone who has sold their soul and devoted their lives to prove that men are scum and and all women are goddesses? :p

Agree'd. xD At first I thought that "Feminist Gamer" was kind of oxymoronic but I'm sure they exist.

Either way, I'm sure they'd complain about -anything-. Even if there was a game where it made all women look exactly like they look now, they'd argue that the game potray's women as to average and plain and that it's the mans way to look down on women!

Momiji
07-23-2008, 03:42 AM

Agree'd. xD At first I thought that "Feminist Gamer" was kind of oxymoronic but I'm sure they exist.

Either way, I'm sure they'd complain about -anything-. Even if there was a game where it made all women look exactly like they look now, they'd argue that the game potray's women as to average and plain and that it's the mans way to look down on women!

Also, what if the object of a game is to rescue a beautiful girl? Wouldn't they get mad because it would cause women to see the injustice of polygons being more attractive than they are and believe that if they're not as beautiful as a bunch of pixels, they're unattractive and inferior?

Avarice-ness
07-23-2008, 03:46 AM

Also, what if the object of a game is to rescue a beautiful girl? Wouldn't they get mad because it would cause women to see the injustice of polygons being more attractive than they are and believe that if they're not as beautiful as a bunch of pixels, they're unattractive and inferior?

CORRECT! If the woman being rescued is beautiful they'll complain because the woman's not as average as they are and it's an "unrealistic man-biased standard of beauty"!

Moral of the story is that feminists can't be pleased -ever-!

Miriel
07-23-2008, 03:53 AM

:rolleyes2

I'm totally a feminist and I think the game looks freakin' adorable.

Karellen
07-23-2008, 03:59 AM
This is about as surprising as Sony fans getting hot and bothered over the FFXIII thing. The first thing I thought of when the game was revealed was "some chick with a blog is writing the rant of her life right now".

It's stupid, of course.

Roto13
07-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Don't get "feminist" confused with "feminazi"

Avarice-ness
07-23-2008, 04:19 AM

:rolleyes2

I'm totally a feminist and I think the game looks freakin' adorable.

Don't get "feminist" confused with "feminazi"

I consider women who speak like this about games and such feminazis!

I meant no offense by it Miriel, I guess feminists is a vague term at this point, I shall use feminazi from now on! :D

Quindiana Jones
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I think that feminists who do it right are awesome. But feminists who do it wrong are morons. Then, lower than wrong-feminists, are the feminazis. They don't give a toss about anything, as long as they get to act like total dickheads and ruin peoples fun. They are a disgrace to real feminists everywhere.

Dreddz
07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
This makes little sense to me, I honestly don't get how you can be offended. It's best to ignore these stupid attention whores and admire how awesome Fat Princess looks.

Madame Adequate
07-23-2008, 02:41 PM
I love how that Shakesville chick completely sees what the game is really about - that a heavier object is harder to carry - and then manages to twist it in her mind to being something completely different.

If the object of the game was to make the princess so fat nobody wants her, then I'd see her point. But it's not, so, I lul. I mean, if you want to criticize this from a feminist perspective, you could talk about how it glamorizes medieval thinking that even the most nobly-born women are nothing more than tools used for politics, such as in royal marriages, not fit or not important enough to make their own decisions, etc. Or you could bring up how the Princess is being very literally objectified, not even capable of moving around on her own, but simply being picked up and carried by men.

Or hey, you could take the class warfare angle! We're glamorizing the nobility here, to the point where they literally don't even have to walk around or shovel food into their own mouths. That's reinforcing modern society's division into capitalists and workers, and is the purest distillation of the notion that the proper place of the workers, indeed their natural position (And through game mechanics, their only possible position) is as a servant to the bourgeousie.

Alternatively, you could do the opposite and protest the game because it persents a ludicrous view of history. Women were not usually powerful, but they weren't necessarily powerless either. The Middle Ages were not simply about armies and royalty, and this game perpetuates a mythical, completely inaccurate idea of history.

Or, most radically of all, you could stop being fucking retarded and take the game for what it is.

Croyles
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Lol this is Resident Evil 5 all over again, just a lot dumber!!

Momiji
07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
This makes little sense to me, I honestly don't get how you can be offended. It's best to ignore these stupid attention whores and admire how awesome Fat Princess looks.

For the first time, I actually agree with you. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS3 to play this. It's the first PS3 release so far that actually looks appealing to me.

Vyk
07-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Suddenly missing the days when the fems would bitch about how thin and well endowed women in games are lawl

Lawr
07-28-2008, 05:03 AM
female-run gaming blogs

Please send me a PM with as many URLs as you can find. Thank you in advance.

Goldenboko
07-28-2008, 05:05 AM
I hate Feminists anyway.

Laddy
07-28-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm a male feminists, but these 'feminists' are sexists thinking any sort of non-positive behavior is against the Female 'minority.' (Which it isn't because there are more women than men in the world.)

EDIT-Oh, and Romance novels have exaggerated views on men that piss me off, but it's not like it means anything!

Madame Adequate
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Update: Someone actually took the time to try explaining what's wrong with Fat Princess.

Feministe » Well, that was bound to happen (http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2008/07/23/well-that-was-bound-to-happen/)

Quindiana Jones
07-28-2008, 02:43 PM
lol @ "IF I DUN LIEK WUT U SAY, I WIL DELET IT".

Slothy
07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
lol @ "IF I DUN LIEK WUT U SAY, I WIL DELET IT".

Agreed.

I think the game looks awesome and will definitely purchase it, and it's not because I find the idea of a fat princess who can't move on her own funny; it's because the gameplay sounds like a lot of fun. They can whine all they want about negative sterotypes of women and fat people, but even as someone who used to be over weight, I'm not the least bit offended by this.

Croyles
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
OMG MILF that blog is hilarious! And annoying! At the same time! I cant yet figure out if im more annoyed or cramped from laughter... You should read the whole thing, and some of the comments, hahahaha.

Caraliz
07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Honestly, in the whole blog Milf posted, all I read was "blah blah blah I'm probably a really fat chick that has nothing better to do than put my misinformed opinion on the internet and hope that other misinformed fat chicks agree"

Tonepoet
07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
One does have to admit that the premise is more humorous this way, which makes the princess portrayed in this game something of a laughing stock. I could see how somebody who identifies with wanting to have that cultural ideal a princess has would take insult. Then there's the whole damsel in distress cliche, which we all know makes feminists very happy. Having that said, feminists don't tend to be happy with anything other then complete androgyny. This is the key reason I've chosen them as allies for my plot to take over the the world with my robotic armies! Nobody stands a chance against our tightly knit might! *cough, cough, hack, wheeze* =P

Seriously though, there's always going to be somebody who overreacts to one thing or another. None too surprising really. The game sounds like good fun regardless of the criticism, though I have a feeling it won't live up to its potential...

DMKA
07-29-2008, 05:39 AM
I suddenly want to play this game.

Boney King
07-29-2008, 06:00 AM
I don't get it.

Do you think they would complain if you were fattening up a prince?

Also, buying this game just to piss of feminazis lolol.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Update: Someone actually took the time to try explaining what's wrong with Fat Princess.

Feministe » Well, that was bound to happen (http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2008/07/23/well-that-was-bound-to-happen/)

That was actually pretty well-written and produced a lot of valid points. Amusing that she more or less called the reaction she's getting here, too.

Old Manus
07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
tl ;dr - obesity is now a taboo subject

Madame Adequate
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM

That was actually pretty well-written and produced a lot of valid points. Amusing that she more or less called the reaction she's getting here, too.

I know. I've been a lot more sympathetic to their outrage since I read that.

Karellen
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
The idiocy of the select gamer representatives aside, she doesn't do much to convince that they're not all just reading way too far into this.

Croyles
07-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Exactly. I dont see how that blog makes you sympathetic towards them they really were reading way too far into it. I bet you all my money that the creators of the game definitely werent reading that far into it and therefore this should not be taken offensively.
Its just stupid, and I dont care if he/she called our/my reactions, because that doesnt make their point any more valid.
People get taken the piss out of no matter what or who you are. Instead of overreacting and creating a group where you collectively bash something creative as this, why not just suck it in for once? I saw on that blog how men were once again the fruit of all evil and how we are all lazy ignorant twats, or whatever, even though this has nothing to with this topic, it still gets posted.
Im german, so naturally i get taken the piss out of for being a nazi, having no humour and having disturbing sexual fantasies, but you know what? I dont go and create the neo-nazi party just so people will stop taking the piss, its a joke, and theres no reason why a joke has to be shameful or penalising towards another person, jokes can just be light hearted.

Just...... some people need to lighten up a bit.

ValkyrieWing
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I'd play it. It looks cute and weird, which appeal to me. What I don't understand, however, is how these 'feminists' automatically assume that ALL females are going to be offended by this. It's a game, a funny and quirky game, but a GAME. It's not reality. And if things like GTA and that didnt smear the perspective on female characterizations in games, then a goofy looking chubby princess certainly isnt either.

Madame Adequate
07-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Exactly. I dont see how that blog makes you sympathetic towards them they really were reading way too far into it. I bet you all my money that the creators of the game definitely werent reading that far into it and therefore this should not be taken offensively.

Subconcious assumptions that this is perfectly natural and fine would be, in the eyes of feminists, a good deal worse than an overt attempt to offend. They're getting worked up because something that is blindingly obvious to them is completely oblique to everyone else, which in itself is a demonstration (In their eyes) that their views are correct.

and theres no reason why a joke has to be shameful or penalising towards another person, jokes can just be light hearted

Right. Light-hearted. That's totally how society treats overweight women.

Old Manus
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Light being the operative word there I'm sure

Zeldy
07-29-2008, 11:56 PM
I really don't see what they're moaning about, I can't see what argument these feminists are holding at all. That feminist gamer site claims that it "reinforces nasty stereotypes about women and the obese". How does it, really? I really don't see how they got offended.

Game looks cute though, but OMG I AM SO OFFENDED. IT IS BECAUSE FAT GIRLS ARE SO UNATTRACTIVE OH MY GOD HAET SONY!!!!

Mirage
07-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Looks fun. I might get it if it doesn't cost too much.

I'm also pretty fat btw.

Croyles
07-30-2008, 12:30 AM
I love you Mirage

Laddy
07-30-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm slender. In fact I am very underweight.

This game looks so cute though!

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-30-2008, 05:19 AM

Subconcious assumptions that this is perfectly natural and fine would be, in the eyes of feminists, a good deal worse than an overt attempt to offend. They're getting worked up because something that is blindingly obvious to them is completely oblique to everyone else, which in itself is a demonstration (In their eyes) that their views are correct.

and theres no reason why a joke has to be shameful or penalising towards another person, jokes can just be light hearted

Right. Light-hearted. That's totally how society treats overweight women.

Further, the bit about reinforcing stereotypes is right on the money. We've some deep-seated socializations that marginally any number of groups, and this game, while seemingly innocuous, WILL in fact, reinforce them. I agree with one of the posts by another feminists, I love the sound of the core mechanic and they could have just as easily used any other heavy-but-valuable inanimate object and retained the game.

The need to use shock value and play on nasty stereotypes to sell the game is not a mark in one's favor, I would think.

Mirage
07-30-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm gonna ask all the fat people I know what they think about it. They've all got a sense of humour and a spine though, so I doubt they'll care much :p.

Kes
07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Well, first of all, I applaud everyone who's posted so far. You have refrained from saying "Well, duh she hates this; all feminists are fat."

Secondly, this isn't about having a fat woman in a game, it's about having a woman as an object (because that is what's happening here) and about enforcing stereotypes about how fat people are fat because they eat all the food in front of them.

Thirdly, look at all the crap the feminists are getting. Okay, good, now imagine what reactions would be if it were a community of fat people getting all worked up about it. Well, all right, I'll accept that feminists aren't always taken very seriously at all, but if it were fat people who were objecting to this so loudly? My money is on the internet as a whole saying "LOL lose weight and get a sense of humour, fatty." That's not a good thing.

Finally, I think this game looks adorable. I'll look into it more after the release, but I'd consider buying it. Would I rather have a katamari princess with a scullery maid stuck to her? Yes, actually because that's even funnier than a fat person. I'm glad the flaws were pointed out and brought to my attention, but I think that making the princess too fat to kidnap is actually somewhat cute, and is actually kind of a clever solution to the classic video game scenario.

Mirage
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
As if men aren't portrayed as objects in games.

And really, we are fat because we eat all the food in front of us. Except an incredibly small precentage of people who have some sort of sickness, but it's really not common enough for anyone to use as an excuse. in 99% of the cases, you're fat because your eat more food than you use.

Goldenboko
07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Well, first of all, I applaud everyone who's posted so far. You have refrained from saying "Well, duh she hates this; all feminists are fat."

Secondly, this isn't about having a fat woman in a game, it's about having a woman as an object (because that is what's happening here) and about enforcing stereotypes about how fat people are fat because they eat all the food in front of them.

Thirdly, look at all the crap the feminists are getting. Okay, good, now imagine what reactions would be if it were a community of fat people getting all worked up about it. Well, all right, I'll accept that feminists aren't always taken very seriously at all, but if it were fat people who were objecting to this so loudly? My money is on the internet as a whole saying "LOL lose weight and get a sense of humour, fatty." That's not a good thing.

Finally, I think this game looks adorable. I'll look into it more after the release, but I'd consider buying it. Would I rather have a katamari princess with a scullery maid stuck to her? Yes, actually because that's even funnier than a fat person. I'm glad the flaws were pointed out and brought to my attention, but I think that making the princess too fat to kidnap is actually somewhat cute, and is actually kind of a clever solution to the classic video game scenario.

Natural instinct actually IS to eat as much as possible because in the Wild food, shelter, and water is all you can worry about really (and food isn't ridiculously easy to obtain). My main problem with this whole thing is, what if it was called "Fat Prince"? Stereotypes are shown in nearly all entertainment, if you can't deal with it, you really can't deal with anything. In a certain Disney Channel show the smart nerdy girl is also Asian, but who cares? In a different show (some old 80s show) the stupid airhead moron, is a white, muscular, surfer-esc looking dude. Stereotypes are a fact of life and people need to learn to live with them.

Roogle
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree with the points in the thread made that a group would decry the game if the princess were beautiful in the same way that a group denounces the game because the princess is fat.

Quindiana Jones
07-30-2008, 06:07 PM

I would've felt the same way if it was written by anyone. I think that anyone who gets offended so easily is an idiot. Even though the points she made were well-written (and I agree, it was a very good text - I could even have agreed with her if I was phenomally more idiotic and sheep-like), that doesn't change the fact that she's moaning about a game. So, no, contrary to what you think, I'm not pissed off with her because I'm a gamer, and because she's dissing MAH CONSOLE!, I'm pissed off because they're all fucking around moaning about something that matters very little.

Fonzie
07-30-2008, 06:14 PM

:lol:

KoShiatar
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
What? Shouldn't the feminists be happy for a game that promotes food as a good thing, instead of demonizing it like Tv and celebrities do? I don't get it. If the protagonist is thin, it's no good because she's thin. If she's fat... well.

Croyles
07-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Natural instinct actually IS to eat as much as possible because in the Wild food, shelter, and water is all you can worry about really (and food isn't ridiculously easy to obtain). My main problem with this whole thing is, what if it was called "Fat Prince"? Stereotypes are shown in nearly all entertainment, if you can't deal with it, you really can't deal with anything. In a certain Disney Channel show the smart nerdy girl is also Asian, but who cares? In a different show (some old 80s show) the stupid airhead moron, is a white, muscular, surfer-esc looking dude. Stereotypes are a fact of life and people need to learn to live with them.

This is what I was trying to bring across as my main point, I think you did a much better job though ^^
I see stereotypes about me all the time. Im a german person living in england, what do you expect. The only difference is, I dont have a huge million+ united group supporting me and to get angry at every little stereotyping.
Im a nazi? whatever
I dont have a sense of humour? Thats your own fault for thinking that.
I have weird sexual fantasies/practices? Although I WOULD like to spice up my sexual life at the moment, this doesnt hold any truth at all.
I occasionally get annoyed, but thats it.

Look at how many games there are where I have to kill my own country men! Yes they were nazis but nazi doesnt automatically equal evil because all of us were forced to go to war and some of us were against that. Fact is, im still going around killing my own people in nearly every FPS and to be honest, it gets a bit annoying yeah, but thats it.
I dont have to play, but just incase thats anyones argument, you could say the same thing about Fat Princess.

Im gonna go put my towel down on the beach now :D

Quindiana Jones
07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh God, the bloody German = Nazi steretype. Seriously, these people need to be put down. :(