PDA

View Full Version : Western Rpg's

Dragonsoul
07-23-2008, 06:41 AM
In recent times I am becoming more interested in Western Rpg's and rpg's aimed for an older audience with more mature storylines. Here's some information I'll give you to you...

Western Rpg's
Top companies...
1. Blizzard(Diablo 1/2/3, World of Warcraft)
2. Bethesda(Elder Scrolls 1/2/3/4, Fallout 3)
3. Bioware(Baldurs Gate 1/2, Neverwinter Nights 1, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1/Mmorpg, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1/2/3, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Dragon Age: Origins)
4. Lionhead Studios(Fable 1/2)
5. Obsidian Entertainment(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, Aliens rpg)

Upcoming top Western rpg's:
1994:
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
1996:
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
1997:
Diablo
1998:
Baldurs Gate
2000:
Diablo II
Baldurs Gate II
2002:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
2003:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1
2004:
Fable
World of Warcraft
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
2005:
Jade Empire
2006:
Neverwinter Nights 2
2007:
Mass Effect
2008:
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Fable 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Fallout 3
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
2009:
Dragon Age: Origins
Alpha Protocol
Mass Effect 2
2010:
Diablo 3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Mmorpg?
Aliens rpg?

Western Action rpg's:
Diablo 1, 2, 3
Neverwinter Nights 1, 2
Baldurs Gate 1, 2
Jade Empire
Fable 1, 2
Aliens rpg?

Western First Person rpg's:
The Elder Scrolls 1, 2, 3, 4
Fallout 3

Western Third Person rpg's:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3
Alpha Protocol

Western Mmorpg's:
World of Warcraft
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Mmorpg

---

That's an INCOMPLETE list, I need to add more recent games to it, but I got most of the top ones on the list. The games I'm most interested in are: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Mass Effect 1/2/3, but I need to research the games on the list more. What Western Rpg's are looking forward to? :choc2:?!

EDIT:
I'm researching the top recent and upcoming western rpg's. It appears that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Mass Effect, dominate in my opinion, their respective competitors as far as getting a spot on my rpg playlist. Here's what I mean...

I prefer to play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion instead of these partially similar rpg's...
Diablo 3
Fallout 3
Jade Empire
Fable 1
Fable 2
Neverwinter Nights 2

And I prefer to play Mass Effect instead of these partially similar rpg's...
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Alpha Protocol

I'm really trimming down the list of rpg's I'm playing. It's possible that in 2009 I'll only play four games: Mass Effect, Starcraft 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Final Fantasy XIII. :)

---

Who plays Western rpg's here and what ones do you like? I like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Mass Effect! :)

EDIT BY BoB: Please do not double post. Use the edit button to add things to your earlier post. Thanks.

Loony BoB
07-25-2008, 09:00 AM
How can you say you prefer playing a game to playing other games when the other games aren't even out yet?

I like Western RPG's okay, but I prefer games where you are more involved directly and can built a personality for your character in some way or another. Mass Effect is probably the best one I've personally played as it manages to do this on some level. But games like Diablo and the Elder Scrolls allow for far too little emotional attachment for me to get really into them. They also tend to be much more hack-and-slash than Eastern RPGs, with less thought involved. However, having said that, Eastern RPGs often don't require that much thought these days, either...

Dragonsoul
07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Okay I'll edit the post. :)

I'm giving you info on the ones I'm most interested in so far, but I want to try these games sometime soon when they come out. I'm thinking I could possibly try out Fallout 3. It's the same team from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion but I'm less interested in it for some reasons. The story and setting aren't as interesting to me for some reason and the battle system doesn't appeal to me as much as Oblivion does. What do you think of Fable 2? :choc2:?!

Loony BoB
07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I am very interested in Fable 2, particularly given that Danielle and I can play the game together (although only on one of our accounts' games at a time... we'll have to take turns!). The possibility of owning an entire town is pretty cool, too. Let alone a kingdom.

Dragonsoul
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I've researched Fable 2 some but how similar is it to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Like for people who finished Oblivion, is Fable 2 the next step for them to take, or Fallout 3 by the way?

What game is like Oblivion(besides Morrowind)? :)

Please post on my next gen mmorpg thread I made in this forum! :choc2:!!!

Spuuky
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
How can you say you prefer playing a game to playing other games when the other games aren't even out yet?

I like Western RPG's okay, but I prefer games where you are more involved directly and can built a personality for your character in some way or another. Mass Effect is probably the best one I've personally played as it manages to do this on some level. But games like Diablo and the Elder Scrolls allow for far too little emotional attachment for me to get really into them. They also tend to be much more hack-and-slash than Eastern RPGs, with less thought involved. However, having said that, Eastern RPGs often don't require that much thought these days, either...
Wait... what? In eastern RPGs, you don't get to build ANY personality for your character, most of the time, because it's already there. This is in sharp contrast to western RPGs, in which you DO build a personality for your character. Also, they are more complicated than eastern RPGs. Please do not count Diablo and the army of Diablo clones in this discussion, because they are really their own class of game. Think about things like Fallout.

Loony BoB
07-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Wait... what? In eastern RPGs, you don't get to build ANY personality for your character, most of the time, because it's already there. This is in sharp contrast to western RPGs, in which you DO build a personality for your character. Also, they are more complicated than eastern RPGs. Please do not count Diablo and the army of Diablo clones in this discussion, because they are really their own class of game. Think about things like Fallout.
Maybe we've just played different WRPGs.

Fair enough you're right in that the character is rarely built but in most cases a set personality. However, a set personality to me is better than no personality at all, which is the most common personality I've found my characters to have. "Good" and "Evil" don't count much for a complete personality, just an alignment.

Otherwise, though, WRPGs have very little personality at all, if any. Elder Scrolls I find to be the worst for it of the games I've played. Haven't played Fallout, mind you.

Dragonsoul
07-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I wonder how much I'll like Fallout 3. It's from the same team that made The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but I'm not as interested in the story, setting, and battle system. Will it be good? Or should I play Fable 2 instead, how will that be? :tongue:!!!

Caraliz
07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
I really want to play Neverwinter Nights and some of the other games you mentioned. So far I'm playing Oblivion a lot, but not much else other than that. I absolutely adore Oblivion in the fact that I love exploring, I love the alchemy thing with making potions, I love leveling up, and I just love the quests. I mean, I'm sure it gets repetitive and boring at some point as all games do, but I'm definitely not there yet.

Dreddz
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
I generally prefer Japanese RPG's but I do enjoy the Western RPG here and there, particularly Deus Ex which your missing by the way. Most decent Western RPG's are on the PC and because I'm more of a Mac user I haven't been able to play many Western RPG's that weren't made before 2001. Nowadays most Western RPG's make it onto consoles which definitely helps.

Karellen
07-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Most of the best RPGs were made before 2001 anyway.

Dragonsoul
07-26-2008, 04:18 AM
What do you think of Neverwinter Nights 2? I heard of Deus Ex, let me research it.

I just found out, actually remembered, another great recent Western rpg. It's called, "The Witcher", do you know it?

What Western rpg's are currently in competition with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? These ones: Neverwinter Nights 2, Gothic 3, Two Worlds, The Witcher, and what else?

We're about to start a new generation of Western rpg's. It'll start when either Fallout 3 or Fable 2 get released, those games will be in competition with each other. What's your thought right now? :choc2:?!

Vyk
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
JRPGs used to be prone to lifeless lead characters who'd never say a word. Once I started playing RPGs where the character HAD a personality I found that was very preferable. Then I played Knights of the Old Republic and Fable and found that not only could your character have a personality but you could control it. And your actions and responses would have effects and consequinces

This is something that Oblivion is severly lacking. But more damning to that game, for me, is the fact that you're UTTERLY ALONE. There's people around. But no life. There's nothing. As BoB said. Not nearly enough emotional attachment. JRPGs and KOTOR type games would deliver this in spades

Though I guess it has its down side. I quit playing Mass Effect because it forces a horrible consequince on you no matter what choice you make during a certain part of the game. Not even giving me the option of choices I would LIKE to have made in that scenario to avoid that crap all together. Nooo you must suffer :[

I'm all for causing the player to have emotional attachments. And making them feel something for a certain event. But if you're going to give choices throughout the whole game. Don't force options all of a sudden just to get your point across

I'm currenly playing through the Baldur's Gate series again. Back when BioWare knew what they were doing xD

I miss the days before Jade Empire

Dragonsoul
07-28-2008, 01:41 AM
What western rpg is Baldurs Gate like? What's this? :choc2:?!

Karellen
07-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Baldur's Gate was the foundation for pretty much everything Bioware and Black Isle/Obsidian Entertainment have done since its release. It was basically a real-time implementation of the Dungeons and Dragons d20 rules.

crono_logical
07-28-2008, 02:18 AM
I wonder if the Wild Arms series counts as western :D

Dragonsoul
07-28-2008, 02:37 AM

Yea, count it as Western. :p!

This rules, it seems like Obsidian is like Bioware part 2, a little bit, but they are a great company though. Alpha Protocol seems interesting, it's like Mass Effect 2 or something, but in a modern times in a spy setting. I like how they mention you choose between James Bond, Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne.

What game specifically is Baldur's Gate the same as? Please give me like a few examples. Diablo, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights? I'm going to research it right now.

Maybe I can download the demo.

Later today I'm downloading a demo of World of Warcraft, wish me luck. I only plan to demo 10 hours of it. :choc2:!!!

Interesting how rpg's from Europe are considered "Western". Fable 2 is from Lionhead Studios from England. England is considered "Central". Any other great Central rpg's out? :p?

Karellen
07-28-2008, 02:45 AM
If you want to look at it from a current generation perspective, Dragon Age is being labled the 'spiritual successor' the Baldur's Gate so I would say that game will have the most similarities. Similarly, Neverwinter Nights was influenced heavily by the BG games.

Laddy
07-28-2008, 03:33 AM
BG is my favorite American game ever. So I want Dragon Age...

Vyk
07-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Eastern = Asian. Western = ... Europe, North America, and i guess Austrailia

I don't know anything about Alpha Protocol. But anymore, I think I'd trust Obsidian more than BioWare. Mass Effect was a good game. But it fell kinda short. And Jade Empire left me wanting... a lot...

Obsidian has handled the sequals to a couple BioWare games. And done a superb job of it. KOTOR 2 and BG 2 were amazing

Haven't tried Neverwinter Nights from either company

Can't wait to see how things go though

But yeah. Fable is western

Karellen
07-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Baldur's Gate 2 was made by Bioware, not Obsidian. If they did that would definitely tip the scale in favor of Obsidian. As it stands, I'm sure KOTOR 2 will be a great game once the Sith Lords Restoration Project adds all the content Obsidian cut from the game in order to rush it out the door.

Vyk
07-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Baldur's Gate 2 was made by Bioware, not Obsidian.
Hm I thought they started doing BW's sequals back then but I guess it started with Neverwinter. My bad :]

Dragonsoul
07-28-2008, 05:32 AM
This rules! :eek:!!!

So Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age: Origins are Western Action rpg, same genre as Fable 2 and Diablo 3? What other game is extremely similar to Baldurs Gate 2, let me buy it.

Bioware is making atleast 4 games now...
Mass Effect 2(:choc2:!!!)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3(Mmorpg)
Final Fantasy XIV(just joking, but wouldn't it be hilarious if Blizzard, Bethesda, or Bioware got the license for this? Square Enix is my favorite though)

Can't they make a pc port of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 and fix it?

DirectSong (http://www.directsong.com/) Click on Oblivion

Karellen
07-28-2008, 05:41 AM
Baldur's Gate is not an action RPG. It's turn based, just implemented in real time like KOTOR and Final Fantasy XII.

Vyk
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't think many people consider Diablo an RPG series. Character building, yes. But its called something else and I think most people agree that there's a line there. I've never heard of a Hack'n'Slash RPG though the concept is debatable. Its not what most people consider an action RPG

Caraliz
07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
the only wild arms game i played was 3. I friggin hated that game. I was thinking about picking up 4 though.

Dragonfire
07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Final Fantasy XIV(just joking, but wouldn't it be hilarious if Blizzard, Bethesda, or Bioware got the license for this? Square Enix is my favorite though)

no... i believe that is the exact opposite of hilarious

Vyk
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Ha... I didn't notice that. I would definitely consider that funny xD

Dragonsoul
07-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Ha... I didn't notice that. I would definitely consider that funny xD

I will develop Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV on my pc! I'll release them before the real games come out! :choc2:!!!