PDA

View Full Version : The Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

Cyric
07-30-2008, 02:02 AM
This is a hot-topic on another board I frequent, but for all the wrong reasons. A bunch of people are trying to turn it into a religious issue. My question is: WTF do Physicists trying to learn more about the Universe have to do with religion?! Anyways, if you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, read the Wiki >> Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LHC)

So, are you for it, or against it?

I'm 100% for it. Humanity needs a shake-up to use this so-called "higher intellect" of ours to continue our evolution.

Psychotic
07-30-2008, 02:37 AM
I was reading about this a while ago. I'm not entirely sure if making black holes on Earth is the greatest idea, but on the other hand, being sucked into one of those would be a pretty cool way to go.

Fonzie
07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
I was reading about this a while ago. I'm not entirely sure if making black holes on Earth is the greatest idea, but on the other hand, being sucked into one of those would be a pretty cool way to go.

Come on Hawking Radation, work your magic!

But on subject, why does everything have to be spun into a religious debate these days?

Bunny
07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
If you switch the d and r around it spells hardon.

I'm completely for this.

Peegee
07-30-2008, 03:12 AM
Oh please, even if we do destroy ourselves it would be the way to go -- the pursuit of science has its pitfalls.

Regardless, I'm of the hardened (there you go Bun bun) belief that we'll never go extinct, so anything we do is nice and safe.

Madame Adequate
07-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I don't think uneducated buffoons with no grasp of physics have any business talking about some of the most advanced experimentation ever done.

The LHC is safe. Science is good. Do it.

Ouch!
07-30-2008, 03:30 AM
But on subject, why does everything have to be spun into a religious debate these days?
Because people recognize that as we advance scientifically it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile beliefs which are outdated by thousands of years. Oh yes, I went there.

The LHC is safe. Science is good. Do it.
What he said.

Peegee
07-30-2008, 03:47 AM
What is so damned hard about releasing a newspaper article explaining what it does in simplified fashion? Science doesn't have to be this huge, mysterious, esoteric 'secret'.

If you leave the public blind, the more ignorant people will be swayed by flashy speakers whose fear mongering will at the very least seed doubt and misinformation. This is bad mmkay.

Madame Adequate
07-30-2008, 03:49 AM
YOU try simplifying particle physics! :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-30-2008, 04:21 AM
Because people recognize that as we advance scientifically it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile beliefs which are outdated by thousands of years. Oh yes, I went there.

Outdated? Hardly, though the origins of the religions themselves may be limited to a specific historical period that does not mean they have not underwent minor and major transformations throughout the centuries or millennia. Actually, to propose otherwise would be ridiculous. Also, to generalize all religious beliefs misrepresents them and their diverse views of the world and metaphysics.

Religions traditions and science are compatible but that is another debate.

Insofar as fundamentalism is concern, yes I agree with Ouch!'s sentiment.

As long as they take the necessary precautions, then I have no qualms with LHC research. Actually, it'd be interesting to see what more they will discover.

Bunny
07-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Regardless, I'm of the hardened (there you go Bun bun) belief that we'll never go extinct, so anything we do is nice and safe.

I don't know you, please refrain from referring to me as anything but my chosen forum name.

Spuuky
07-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I don't think uneducated buffoons with no grasp of physics have any business talking about some of the most advanced experimentation ever done.

The LHC is safe. Science is good. Do it.I like the way your paragraphs work together.

I don't feel qualified to discuss this topic, but I find it very difficult to believe that anything truly catastrophic could happen.

Kes
07-30-2008, 07:19 AM
YOU try simplifying particle physics! :p

Really tiny (like beyond microscopic) things are sped up so they go really fast and then they collide, science happens, we learn stuff, and pinprick black holes show up for a split second. amirite?

Also, am I wrong in thinking that the LHC is just a bigger version of something else that has actually been done before? I remember watching something like that on the Discovery (maybe History) channel. Anyway, point is black holes happened then too, and I'm pretty sure we're still here.

Jowy
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/070708/turn-off-gravity.gif

scrumpleberry
07-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Very Large Hadron Collider, lulz.

Quindiana Jones
07-30-2008, 06:46 PM

I don't know you, please refrain from referring to me as anything but my chosen forum name.

lol @ bunbun. xD

I like the LHC. I have very little idea of what it does. But I like it. I like anything that pisses off religious idiots.

Cyric
07-30-2008, 09:14 PM

lol @ bunbun. xD

I have a feeling a nickname has just caught-on.

crono_logical
07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I didn't know there were any religions that explicitly disallowed or disapproved of large hadron colliders :p

Fonzie
07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I didn't know there were any religions that explicitly disallowed or disapproved of large hadron colliders :p

It's somewhere in Exodus. :mog:

Bunny
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM

lol @ bunbun. xD

The only reason for it to catch on would be in a misguided attempt at making me angry. Sadly, it won't accomplish its goal.

Peegee
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM

lol @ bunbun. xD

The only reason for it to catch on would be in a misguided attempt at making me angry. Sadly, it won't accomplish its goal.

but bunbun <3

Quindiana Jones
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
lol @ assumption that my goal is to make him angry. xD

scrumpleberry
07-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Why is bunbun any worse than Bunny? You brought this on yourself ;P

Bunny
07-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Actually, Rye brought this upon me.

Værn
07-31-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm not entirely sure if making black holes on Earth is the greatest idea

Misfit
08-01-2008, 06:18 AM
We're not talking about black holes and LHC anymore, we're talking about Bunny's forum name, god... duh!

Peegee
08-01-2008, 03:06 PM
We're not talking about black holes and LHC anymore, we're talking about Bunny's forum name, god... duh!

Bun Bun.

Misfit
08-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Bun Bun.

Bun Bun's forum name*. n_n

edit: this is the last time i say "bunbun", it's retarded. >:(