PDA

View Full Version : Most Recent Book Purchase

Coma
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
What's the newest book you bought? I just bought Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Momiji
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I rarely buy books when I can just read them for free at the library. :p

However, my most recent book purchase would be 6 manga books that I bought because they were being clearanced for 99 cents each. I got Mahou Sensei Negima! volumes 1 and 6, Yotsuba&! volume 1, and Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow volumes 4, 5, and 6 for less than the price of one new book. That was a good day.

Old Manus
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Does The Sunday Times count?

Quindiana Jones
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
White Night, by Jim Butcher.

rubah
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I got hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and live the universe and everything from bookmooch, but those are neither new nor bought.

I bought a copy of the 6th harry potter book when I was in france (in french).

Roogle
07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
I do not read very often. The last book that I purchased was The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Non-Smokers Using Allen Carr's Easyway Method. Do you think that it is weird that I, a non-smoker, purchased a book like this?

White Snake
07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Well if it counts that I just pre-ordered J.K. Rowlings "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" this will be the one.
Otherwise I´d have to do a lot of thinking because it must be at least 6 months now, that I bought a book which wasn´t supposed to help me studying.

Kes
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
I found a book of Batman art at Barnes and Noble for $1.60 so yeah, that.

Uh, picture books aside, probably Sherwood Smith's <i>King's Shield</i> though there may be a few anthologies I bought used and forgot about.

I Took the Red Pill
07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
The Stories of Breece D'J Pancake.

Yar
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Reading bores me.

I think I bought either a Dilbert book or Lewis Black's Nothing's Sacred back in March or so.

Vermachtnis
07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Does manga count? I just bought School Rumble 10 and Rozen Maiden 2 & 3.

Yar
07-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Does manga count? I just bought School Rumble 10 and Rozen Maiden 2 & 3.

If you have fun reading it, it doesn't count. :p

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-01-2008, 02:22 AM
I pre-ordered Breaking Dawn online on Sunday.

I kind of regret it, now that I've read the spoilers. :| It fails so hard, seriously. xD

If you're planning on buying it, don't. You'd be better off downloading the .pdf online if you want to read it. :(

Miriel
08-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Towelhead by Alicia Erian.

Pouring Rain
08-01-2008, 02:32 AM
It's been a while since I've bought a book, but I got "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne and "Alice and Wonderland" with its sequel "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll.

Rye
08-01-2008, 02:52 AM
American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which still needs to be started!

Boney King
08-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Maus by Art Spiegelman, both volumes. Finished them in a day cause they're great.

Akaria
08-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I can't believe how many people here don't enjoy reading...! I love it, I always do before I go to sleep. It helps relax me:) The latest one I bought was a week or so ago, Ender's Game. It's delicious...:heart:

Kirobaito
08-02-2008, 07:04 AM
<i>A People's History of the United States</i> by Howard Zinn.

Spuuky
08-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Hard to say. I have a poor memory for events. I think Faust (the Goethe version), but I'm not certain.

PS: Paradise Lost is fantastic.

Heath
08-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Last I bought was When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The Unknown Guru
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Strategy, by E.H. Liddell Hart. Great military theory book.

Slothy
08-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Technically, the last book I bought would be a copy of the Canadian tax act (2333 pages of pure awesome). I don't know what the last real book I wanted to buy was. If we count trade paperbacks then it'd be Captain America: Red Menace volumes 1&2 and Ultimates 2 volume 1.

Cz
08-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I bought Franny and Zooey and then promptly lost it. :(

BG-57
08-02-2008, 03:20 PM
The Art of Hellboy II. I was a fan of Mike Mignola before the first movie came out and I love seeing how his designs evolved from sketchs to film.

scrumpleberry
08-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I...I can't remember.

Why can't I remember? :cry:

I guess I've just got too many books left over that I still need to read.

Caraliz
08-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I think it was when I bought all those Palahniuk books.

But I'm looking forward to promptly purchasing siddhartha and darkly dreaming dexter and a few other gems.

Dolentrean
08-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh yah, I intended to pick up Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

I didn't buy this, buy my girlfriend got me a box set of Enders Game, Enders Shadow and Shadow of the Hegimon for my birthday. :love:

Calliope
08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Kundera's Ignorance; for a fiver.

Coma
08-03-2008, 04:26 PM

But I'm looking forward to promptly purchasing siddhartha and darkly dreaming dexter and a few other gems.

Palahniuk is genius.

Madame Adequate
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Not sure it deserves all the praise it got... but it deserves most of it.

Tallulah
08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Friends Like These by Danny Wallace.

I read about it in the Daily Mail last month.

Caraliz
08-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Palahniuk is genius.
He certainly isn't like any author I've ever read before. I've only read Lullaby and Diary and half of Choke and Survivor. I currently own Fight Club, Choke, and Diary. I eventually want all his books, besides maybe the stranger than fiction one.

edit: also, your name reminds me of "The Coma" by alex garland, who also wrote The Beach. Amazing books, imho. Worth checking out. I've also read The Tesseract but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I Don't Need A Name
08-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Got the last few Dark Tower books i need =D

Balzac
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I still have tons of books to read, buying a new one would be foolish right now. But it was American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Actually, I didn't buy it, my ex did. So Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Værn
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
What's the newest book you bought? I just bought Paradise Lost by John Milton.
One of my friends just got that a week and a half ago. He was looking to buy Dante's Divine Comedy online, and then saw that he could get it together with Paradise Lost for a discount =)

As for me, my last purchase was Breaking Dawn yesterday. I was going to go to a release party with one of my friends, but my brother kidnapped me and made me miss it. Got it at Wal*Mart yesterday afternoon. My friend saved me an extra sheet of stickers and a button from the party, though :D

Freya
08-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Tim of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins by Weis and Hickman

AND

Warcraft: The Sunwell Trilogy Ultimate Edition Written by Richard A. Knaak and illustrated by Jae-Hwan Kim

Boney King
08-03-2008, 11:51 PM

Palahniuk is genius.
He certainly isn't like any author I've ever read before. I've only read Lullaby and Diary and half of Choke and Survivor. I currently own Fight Club, Choke, and Diary. I eventually want all his books, besides maybe the stranger than fiction one.

Haunted is my favourite Palahniuk book, followed by Choke. But tbh Invisible Monsters slightly bored me and I didn't get it.

Coma
08-04-2008, 12:13 AM

Palahniuk is genius.

Haunted is my favourite Palahniuk book, followed by Choke. But tbh Invisible Monsters slightly bored me and I didn't get it.I read Guts, and was too frightened to masturbate for a week.

I Took the Red Pill
08-04-2008, 12:15 AM
I read Guts, and was too frightened to masturbate for a week.Ugh, don't remind me. I usually try to stay away from branding things as disturbing, but this story, ugh. Just ugh.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Tim of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins by Weis and Hickman

Those were good books.

The last book I bought, coincidentally I just finished it, was A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear. Short (roughly 300 pages) but good. My friend recommended it to me.

Iceglow
08-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Because I read many many books I rarely buy individual books these days, I am forever buying more than 1 or omnibus editions of series such as the Gaunts Ghosts omnibus books. (http://www.amazon.com/Gaunts-Ghosts-Founding-Ghost/dp/1844163695) Even when buying big collective works such as the Omnibus books I'll buy more than 1 book though because seriously one of those big books lasts me about a week or so :\

The latest 2 books I brought were:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rbLpv-%2BRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Ashes of Worlds, Kevin J Anderson's finale to the epic saga of the seven suns.

I also brought:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51grq6O60ZL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Don't Stop Me Now, Jeremy Clarkson because frankly the man is almost a God and should be made PM of the UK

ljkkjlcm9
08-04-2008, 03:39 AM
I can't believe how many people here don't enjoy reading...! I love it, I always do before I go to sleep. It helps relax me:) The latest one I bought was a week or so ago, Ender's Game. It's delicious...:heart:

Oddly enough....
The last book I purchased was "Shadow of the Giant" which is the 8th book from the Ender Universe...

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hedgemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

completed my collection and now I must read it

THE JACKEL

Caraliz
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Oddly enough....
The last book I purchased was "Shadow of the Giant" which is the 8th book from the Ender Universe...

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hedgemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

THE JACKAL
The only worthwhile books from that series are Ender's Game and the first one about Bean. The rest were boring and I didn't like them.

Meow
08-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I bought my third book on teen witchcraft by raven starshadow

JKTrix
08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
The Twelve Kingdoms, Volume 2: Sea of Wind by Fuyumi Ono back in March.

Wish they would release more than one volume per year.

DMKA
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I bought a copy of The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey a few weeks ago to scare someone into not coming to my house anymore. Many lulz were had.

ljkkjlcm9
08-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Oddly enough....

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hedgemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

THE JACKAL
The only worthwhile books from that series are Ender's Game and the first one about Bean. The rest were boring and I didn't like them.

the other books were more mature, even Ender's Shadow you could tell was written in a more mature way than Ender's Game. I've enjoyed every one of the books, they cover some interesting things.

THE JACKEL

ljkkjlcm9
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I really can't appreciate much Steven King. Its terribly bland. Every other writer has his style. The only books I liked of his, I liked because they were brilliant.

Ender's Game
The Stand
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Ender's Game is by Orson Scott Card... not Steven King.

THE JACKEL

Caraliz
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM

Oddly enough....

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hedgemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

THE JACKAL

the other books were more mature, even Ender's Shadow you could tell was written in a more mature way than Ender's Game. I've enjoyed every one of the books, they cover some interesting things.

THE JACKAL
I suppose the topics addressed were boring. I found the first two books to be full of fun tiems and I read them in a day usually. But then I picked up the second one of the ender series and I couldn't read it. It was just so long and drawn out

Coma
08-05-2008, 02:14 AM
I really can't appreciate much Steven King. Its terribly bland. Every other writer has his style. The only books I liked of his, I liked because they were brilliant.

Ender's Game
The Stand
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Ender's Game is by Orson Scott Card... not Steven King.

THE JACKAL

Your right, I was thinking of Gerald's Game.

Montoya
08-05-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not much of a reader, I think the last books I bought were 1984 and Paradise Lost. 1984 was amazing and I have yet to read past Paradise Lost's first chapter before I stop and start again later.

Of man's first disobedience, and the fruit...God I'm almost memorizing the first part. :cool:

Coma
08-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Guns, Germs, and Steel by James Diamond.

BG-57
08-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Good choice. If you like it, you should also read Collapse.

Kirobaito
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I also recently purchased this. I haven't gotten a chance to open it yet, it's about 4th on my current to-read list.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Two nights ago, I bought Hero by Perry Moore. It was good. Pretty short though. :/ Not the best of endings.