PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VI references in other games

Roto13
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
So where have you seen references to Final Fantasy VI? I've noticed a few references in other games.

In Final Fantasy X-2, there's a description of the Ultima Weapon that says not to call him "Atma," obviously a reference to Ultima Weapon being shortened to Atma Weapon in VI.

The summons in Final Fantasy XII are called "Espers", which is not only a reference to VI, but a reference to the American version of VI. Summons in the Japanese version were called "Phantom Beasts" or something along those lines.

Ultros/Orthos makes an appearance as a flan in XII. He will only appear if the three active characters in your party are all female. You get an item from him, and the description of the item says "Don't tease the... flan?" Orthos also appears at the top of the Brightmoon Tor second assent in Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

So yeah. That's all I can think of. :P Anyone else?

Flying Mullet
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
There's the guest appearances of Ultros, Doomgaze, Chupon and the Phantom Train as optional bosses in FFI Advance.

Roto13
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I knew the Phantom Train was in it, but I didn't know about those other guys. It's like Final Fantasy VI-2. :P

Wolf Kanno
08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
The strategy guide for Crisis Core has a reference for an item in the back that reduces the mp of spell so almost nothing, interesting enough, the title of the little tip calls it the Economizer even though the item goes by another name in the game. ;)

ReloadPsi
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
There's an old guy named "Locke" hanging around Lindblum in FF9, though it's debatable as to whether the reference was intentional; to my knowledge, Locke is an actual (very rare) boy's name.

Maduin, Terra's daddy, is believed by some to be analogous to FF9's Madeen summon. Since Madeen is a Moogle that's gone a bit "It's morphin' time! RAAARRRGGHHH! DEATH! KILL!" and one of Terra's likes is allegedly listed as "Playing with moogles" I reckon this was intentional.

Also don't forget Chupon being summoned under the name "Typhoon" in FF7 and "Typhon" in the Unlimited anime.

Speculation also abounds about Paine's FFX-2 line about "garden variety fiends", which I'm skeptical about, but if it was intentional then of course it references classic Ultros dialogue.

Incidentally, I believe Espers were called "Genjuu" in the Japanese version, which would indeed mean "Phantom Beast".

Locke, Terra, Edgar, Umaro and Mog appear as audience members in an old SNES RPG, but I can't for the life of me remember which.

Cait Sith's origins lie in FF6, in the form of a black cat anyway. Cait Sith did however appear in four as a Couerl pallette swap.

Terra's transformation command was originally called "Trance" (corrected in the GBA version), which later shows up as the crappy Limit Break system in FF9.

Flying Mullet
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Cait Sith's origins lie in FF6, in the form of a black cat anyway.
The esper Stray. (http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/ff6/espers.php#Stray)

Zeromus_X
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Locke, Terra, Edgar, Umaro and Mog appear as audience members in an old SNES RPG, but I can't for the life of me remember which.

Was it Secret of Evermore?

ReloadPsi
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh, I just remembered! In FFVII, just after you buy a flower off Aeris, the next screen (well, the one where electricity keeps randomly zapping across the top) has a huge billboard on the right hand side. In faint lettering it says "Mt. Kolts", where you meet Sabin.

Saber
08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
doomgaze = FFVI
deathgaze = FFXII

both are found by airship.

Edit: Terra - Girl in FFVI
Terra - boy in FFXII in giza plains (during the dry)

I'll keep on editing

MJN SEIFER
08-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Chocobo Racing (an astounding FF spin off) has some FFVI refrences (actually it refrences most of the FFs)

"Magicite" is an important aspect of the game's story.
The "Theme Music" for the character Mog is a remake of the Moogle music.
The final track in Story Mode "Fantsia" is also known as the "Land of Espers"
The music that playes when you ffirst go to Fantasia is the title music for FFVI

In fact I think this game follows FFVI more closly than any other FF, and yet the cover of the game says "From the makers of Final Fantasy VIII. PS I love Chocobo Racing!

Tonepoet
08-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Speaking of it, has there ever been "Magicite" before VI? If not then Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicals has some 'splainin' to do. :p

Seriously though, it's first thing I thought of when I saw the word "Magicite".

CelestialStarDust
08-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Celes's ridiculous fish game is slighty playable in kingdom hearts,where you have to get fish for kairi.

Kenshin IV
08-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Kefka's laugh in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII to me would be the obvious ones.

blackmage_nuke
10-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I think Vivi's real english name is meant to be 66.

DarkMateria
10-04-2008, 04:24 AM

lol, good one, but no, Vivis name is suposedly latin for life.

arcanedude34
10-07-2008, 02:25 AM

lol, good one, but no, Vivis name is suposedly latin for life.
To be technical, I think (if it's like Spanish) that vivi would be the "I" form perfect past-tense form to the verb vivir. (Basically, "I lived")

Anyway, I always found the method of learning summons on IX (through crystals) to be similar to learning them through magicite. This is repeated in XII, iirc.

MJN SEIFER
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM

I've seen talk of this before, and I can fully understand why you (and others) think this, but Roman Numerals for 66 is not "VIVI".

Flying Mullet
10-07-2008, 08:25 PM

I've seen talk of this before, and I can fully understand why you (and others) think this, but Roman Numerals for 66 is not "VIVI".
It is if you stutter...

arcanedude34
10-08-2008, 02:55 AM

I'm under the assumption he was joking.

bipper
10-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Jesting does not happen in these forums, sorry.

MJN SEIFER
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm under the assumption he was joking.

Do you meen me or arcanedude? Because I wasn't joking.

blackmage_nuke
10-08-2008, 10:20 PM

Only if your a slave of the decimal counting

Flying Mullet
10-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Wait, the clock in Zozo, 6:10:50

Vivi - VI:V:I

Swap the V and I and you get VI:I:V and you're at 6:1:5, which is almost 6:10:50. Vivi is the chainsaw from FFVI!! :eek:

Roto13
10-09-2008, 01:03 AM
THAT'S NOT A STRETCH AT ALL!

Obsidian
10-22-2008, 01:29 PM
FFIX Developer #1: Hey, remember that obsure clock in Zozo in FFVI!?
FFIX Developer #2: Yeah! That thing was the freakin' BOMB!
FFIX Developer #1: LET'S NAME ONE OF OUR MAIN CHARACTERS AFTER IT!
FFIX Developer #2: TOTALLY!!!

Markus. D
10-23-2008, 03:53 AM
FFIX Developer #1: Hey, remember that obsure clock in Zozo in FFVI!?
FFIX Developer #2: Yeah! That thing was the freakin' BOMB!
FFIX Developer #1: LET'S NAME ONE OF OUR MAIN CHARACTERS AFTER IT!
FFIX Developer #2: TOTALLY!!!

Jesting is fine :D!

blackmage_nuke
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
And because Vivi is such a tool!!

(I havent actually played FFIX but the pun fit so well!!)

Siegfried
10-26-2008, 07:16 AM
I think the moogle names from the fight in the beginning were transferred to the moogles in FF9, not sure though

Wolf Kanno
03-01-2009, 08:30 AM
This is not from a game but I found it amusing nonetheless. American Wrestler Chris Sabin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Sabin) chose his ring name in tribute to our favorite muscle head. :D