PDA

View Full Version : Love story or Restoration?

Headsnap
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Was ff7 a love story or quest for restoration from guilt and regret of certain actions? begin... ;)

PeneloRatsbane
08-01-2008, 01:04 AM
*Facepalm*
it was many things, as all good stories are.
It has war, politics, aliens, mad science, love, friendship, family, love for the planet, adventure, loss, comedy, tradegy, Ninja's, magic, barmaids, eye candy, tough guys, the evil of giant companies and the greed of the people that breed them, the strife of the poor and the power of the rich and the confusion of the spawn of one creepy three way.

as it says on IMDB "A story of a love that can never be and a hate that always was" or something like that

To some it up it has many stories and issues

Headsnap
08-01-2008, 01:40 AM
personally i find, and its just my opinion, that the focus is indeed cloud trying to find peace and restoration cause he blames himself for certain actions that lead up to the plot of the story ranging back to the story of zack to post era in AC. He cant forgive himself so there is a never ending strive for him to make things right, i do agree that love, the planet and friendships do occur , but was looking for the major factor of it all :)

Bolivar
08-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Like PeneloRatsbane said, it's alot of things.

I would say primarily it's a story of revenge. Barret's fighting for the planet against those who have taken it down. Cloud wants to make Sephiroth pay for everything he's done, as is Tifa. Sephiroth initially believes he's taking revenge for the Ancients. Cid wants to stick it to Shinra, as does Yuffie.

But alot of those motives become restoration, like you suggested. Cloud is, among many things, a reluctant hero who's motives become more of stopping Sephiroth than just some vendetta. Barret understands he can't save the planet permanently, but understands what has to be done, same with Red XIII. Vincent's trying to atone for his sins.

But yeah, there's so many things going on in the plot of FFVII it's really hard to pidgeonhole it as just one thing. It was alot of crazy ideas that culminated into one hell of a ride, especially playing it when it first came out.

Xalioniaf
08-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Cloud was like "man, I'm indifferent towards women."
Then he met Aeris.
Then he was like "dude, that chick is totally hot."
Then she was killed.
Then he was like "I will never love again."
And he died a virgin.

In conclusion, FFVII was a story of repentance.

Headsnap
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
hahaha! thats funny

Bolivar
08-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Cloud was like "man, I'm indifferent towards women."
Then he met Aeris.
Then he was like "dude, that chick is totally hot."
Then she was killed.
Then he was like "I will never love again."
And he died a virgin.

In conclusion, FFVII was a story of repentance.

dude, you have the choice of flirting with Jesse and Aeris from the beginning, the entire personality of Cloud is for the most part left up to the player.

Xalioniaf
08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah... but Jesse dies.

PeneloRatsbane
08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Jessie and Aeris die, maybe thats why he is reluctant to comit to Tifa, in fear of her death. maybe he thinks he's cursed, Then again he does hug Yuffie, and she hasn't died, but she seems to have gone off him in favor of a more emo-tastic hottie.
Oh and Zack, he was well fond of him as well and he died. he must be cursed

Bolivar
08-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Jessie and Aeris die, maybe thats why he is reluctant to comit to Tifa, in fear of her death.

well, you could be going for Tifa from the start. I usually get her at the Gold Saucer now that I think about it. That's a good observation though, for a playthrough which would take that direction.

Headsnap
08-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Was reading a funny comic on newgrounds, why the hell did cloud go for a flat chested flower girl when, tifa was still available, big tits and a min i skirt? lawl:mog:

Rostum
08-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Was reading a funny comic on newgrounds, why the hell did cloud go for a flat chested flower girl when, tifa was still available, big tits and a min i skirt? lawl:mog:

Fear of suffocation.

Headsnap
08-02-2008, 06:36 AM
yes, they are tight! :P

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2008, 07:11 AM
It was about taking responsibility for your actions!

...and treating the planet nicely. Don't litter, kids.

Super Sepiroth
08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Vincent's trying to atone for his sins.

Thats weird that. In the game vincent is all "yeah i wanna atone for my sins, man" and in AC Cloud says "Can sins ever be forgiven?" and Vincent says "I don't know..... I've never tried" or something to that effect

I may be wrong but is there a continuity error here? lol

Headsnap
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
maybe from the jap to eng translation error

PeneloRatsbane
08-04-2008, 01:06 AM
I think Vince is just a bit of a sulky kid underneath it all, not that thats a bad thing. he's brill and all but hes not really able to deal with his mega issues, which makes him endearing.
Its sad that he blames himself when its no-ones fault but Lucrecia's and Hojo's. I think that its his way of feeling conected to her, by blaming himself, by kidding himself that he could have stopped her.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I never saw it as a love story, in fact much of what fans speculate being the love story in this game is up for debate imo.

Between the two choices, I feel its more about restoration but I feel its a distant second theme. I generally see it for its main theme of Life and its delicate balance. Aerith's death, Sephiroth and Shin-Ra's disregard for it and the cast learning what's truly important instead of their petty needs.

Headsnap
08-04-2008, 07:22 PM
But what motivated cloud and drove him to help avalanche and tr to stop shinra, well FF7:CC said alot about the past of zack and his relationship with cloud.Ultimately cloud blames himself for all who had died and suffer, he is looking for forgiveness and "restoration". Of course what makes a great story is imagination the the reader to somewhat put the ending in their own words, that of course if a stories ending and point is enigma. :)

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
But what motivated cloud and drove him to help avalanche and tr to stop shinra, well FF7:CC said alot about the past of zack and his relationship with cloud.Ultimately cloud blames himself for all who had died and suffer, he is looking for forgiveness and "restoration". Of course what makes a great story is imagination the the reader to somewhat put the ending in their own words, that of course if a stories ending and point is enigma. :)

I actually agree ;)

I always felt Cloud was motivated by revenge rather than redemption. Restoration never really appeared until AC and the Compilation imo. In the beginning he was purely motivated by money. He fought against Shin-Ra cause of what they did to Nibelheim not to redeem himself for working for them. He didn't even become passionate about saving the world until Sephiroth got involved. Even then much of what Cloud may have believed was his fault turned out to be a lie. Like Vincent, I don't feel Cloud really has any reason to be the way he is (well except for the Jenova cells screwing with him) and I never really felt grief or regret motivated him.

champagne supernova
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Thats weird that. In the game vincent is all "yeah i wanna atone for my sins, man" and in AC Cloud says "Can sins ever be forgiven?" and Vincent says "I don't know..... I've never tried" or something to that effect

No, that's correct. Vincent's never tried to atone for his sins. He wants to live with his guilt. He doesn't feel that he deserves to be forgiven, and so he doesn't try.

And VII is about many things. There is definitely a love story, but it is a triangle. And Cloud didn't die a virgin - he definitely slept with Tifa on the airship!

Headsnap
08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
and yuffi. Barrett took his on the goldsaucer date, rolfmao

PeneloRatsbane
08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I always saw it as Cloud liked Tifa, then he met Aeris and was captivated and did fall for her and she liked him to and i think if she had lived they would have gotten together, but sadly as we all know that wasn't to be. So he has to move on and Tifa and Cloud clearly belong together. doesn't lessen his love for either woman but its just how things turned out in the end.

Headsnap
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Clouds a pimp

Bolivar
08-05-2008, 12:00 AM

No, that's correct. Vincent's never tried to atone for his sins. He wants to live with his guilt. He doesn't feel that he deserves to be forgiven, and so he doesn't try.

And VII is about many things. There is definitely a love story, but it is a triangle. And Cloud didn't die a virgin - he definitely slept with Tifa on the airship!

lol that's actually a funny contradiction between VII and AC.