PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII to be released in 2009

Roto13
08-02-2008, 06:55 AM
... In Japan. (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/08/02/final-fantasy-xiii-confirmed-for-a-2009-japanese-release/)

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2008, 07:01 AM
>:[

This means that fall 2009 is the absolute earliest we can expect it in the US...too late for me to take advantage of the 360 release ;_;

Dragonsoul
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Great that they give some release information but I was pretty sure it was out first 8 months of 2009 in Japan. I hope it comes out like mid August in Usa, or something.....not late.

Great! The demo is going to come out! The demo is only going to PS 3? That confirms it ... I'M BUYING A PLAYSTATION INSTEAD OF A XBOX 360!!!

:)!!!

Ur response? :)

Yar
08-02-2008, 08:09 AM
When will it be released after the delays though? :rolleyes2

Dragonsoul
08-02-2008, 08:10 AM
I hope it comes out in Usa in early Fall 2009 but I'm not sure if it would, I'm thinking late 2009.

Dreddz
08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
There's going to be a demo for the game in the blu-ray copy of Advent Children. I hope the demo eventually makes its way to PSN as I sure as hell am not buying Advent Children.

Roto13
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't know if a demo should ever be the deciding factor about what console you buy. :P

Hyperion4444
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Um, they said Japan's version is to be in 2008 while N/A and Euro in a later date.
Unless that changed too...

Yar
08-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Um, they said Japan's version is to be in 2008 while N/A and Euro in a later date.

They would have had to, because they are releasing the demo in Japan in March of 2009. The chronology no longer works for a 2008 release.

Raebus
08-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't know if a demo should ever be the deciding factor about what console you buy. :P

I'm thinking the same thing, but it's soul dragons money I guess. =P

Dragonsoul
08-03-2008, 02:37 AM

They would have had to, because they are releasing the demo in Japan in March of 2009. The chronology no longer works for a 2008 release.

I was told today by Yoichi Wada and Yoshinori Kitase that Final Fantasy XIII is coming out on Friday next week but that the demo is coming out in March 2009. I don't understand the point of this strategy. I'm confused.

Just joking! :choc2:!!!

It's turning out that I'm going to get more pc games than console games, I love this new phase in my life! :)

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Why bother paying for PC games when you can get PS3 Red Cased Greatest Hits for 30$?
Think about the money you would save.

With that extra $, you could buy more movies...

Roto13
08-03-2008, 04:34 AM
You've never seen a discount PC game?

Dragonsoul
08-03-2008, 08:28 AM
I don't think about the price, just get the best games. :p

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 02:28 PM
You've obviously didn't get what I've said... since you didn't saw the 2008 E3 PlayStation Press Conference.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I get what you said but it's still stupid. Oh wow! Some PS3 games are going to be cheaper than they were! That's totally the best reason ever to get a PS3! Because the PS3 will have a few cheap games soon, unlike every console or PC that has ever existed in the history of the world, right?

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I get what you said but it's still stupid. Oh wow! Some PS3 games are going to be cheaper than they were! That's totally the best reason ever to get a PS3! Because the PS3 will have a few cheap games soon, unlike every console or PC that has ever existed in the history of the world, right?

I'm sorry I've lead you to the confusion roto
It's because that I've said that games would be cheaper, you'll get to buy more movies, rigth?
That's because you can buy movies off the PSS and play them directly on your PS3.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
You're the confused one here. What the hell do movies have to do with anything?

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
read my previous post, I've said that you could use the extra cash to buy movies.
And you can buy movies on your PS3.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Nobody cares about movies. That's not the point here at all.

Bolivar
08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Man, all this talk about the Versus team put on hold to speed up production, hyping up a multiplatform release, and saying that the wait will be over soon all seems inappropriate when just the Demo is coming out in March 2009. That's like 8 months away, it makes you wonder what the hell they're actually doing over there.

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Man, all this talk about the Versus team put on hold to speed up production, hyping up a multiplatform release, and saying that the wait will be over soon all seems inappropriate when just the Demo is coming out in March 2009. That's like 8 months away, it makes you wonder what the hell they're actually doing over there.

Wolf Kanno
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Building hype. Its not like the old days when a few screenshots in a mag could get people drooling. With the way information is today, this is a better marketing ploy. Stay tight lip about any details and let non-credible third party sources start unfounded rumors. I'm going to say we may see another delay. 09 seems right for Japan but 2010 will be more likely for U.S. and PAL regions. Though they may pull another X and try to get it released in time for the holidays.

Dreddz
08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
it makes you wonder what the hell they're actually doing over there.

Square really are one of the most inefficient companies, its standard to be waiting several years for any of their titles, except for ports. When you look at developers like Insomniac who are able to produce a quality title every year you have to wonder what Square do with all their time.

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 11:32 PM

Square really are one of the most inefficient companies, its standard to be waiting several years for any of their titles, except for ports. When you look at developers like Insomniac who are able to produce a quality title every year you have to wonder what Square do with all their time.

Portable games?

(so does Insomniac)

Bolivar
08-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Building hype. Its not like the old days when a few screenshots in a mag could get people drooling. With the way information is today, this is a better marketing ploy. Stay tight lip about any details and let non-credible third party sources start unfounded rumors. I'm going to say we may see another delay. 09 seems right for Japan but 2010 will be more likely for U.S. and PAL regions. Though they may pull another X and try to get it released in time for the holidays.

Building hype is one thing. The first trailer for the game was shown, what, 3 years ago? With in-battle footage. How they hell could they have all that actually built up, and still take all this time to keep going through with it? It's crazy how it's almost becoming industry standard to begin advertising a video game, years before it is released.

Considering how little information has trickled outside of the main footage we've seen time and time again, it makes you think that there must be some pretty big secret that they're hiding about this. It's baffling.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Building hype is one thing. The first trailer for the game was shown, what, 3 years ago? With in-battle footage. How they hell could they have all that actually built up, and still take all this time to keep going through with it? It's crazy how it's almost becoming industry standard to begin advertising a video game, years before it is released.

Considering how little information has trickled outside of the main footage we've seen time and time again, it makes you think that there must be some pretty big secret that they're hiding about this. It's baffling.

They did with XII. Hell, little to no info appeared for FFIX and X until the Japanese release. I think we got a screenshot and a few words and both were announced shortly after VIII's release. I think North America got an official teaser trailer about 2 or 3 months before its U.S. release. SE has always been bad about marketing their games. Then again, its hard to blame them when hype and word of mouth are generally more efficient in the gaming world. Persona 3 has done quite well considering it got little to no PR. Xenogears and FFT are two other games that have done incredibly well despite lack of coverage and exposure.

Though incredibly aggravating, I feel its a good marketing plan.

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 03:54 AM
I think a little marketing never hurts.
Just look at FFVII.
So what if you pay 10 000$ in publicity, FF7 (Most sales) got 1.5 million more in sales than FF8 (Second most sales), on Playstation.

champagne supernova
08-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Yes, but Insomniac are generally making sequels, with most gameplay elements intact. They are generally improving elements that have worked in their previous games and adding new elements that they think will work. And they have the main characters already. And no Insomniac game is anywhere near as long as a Final Fantasy game. Nor is there anywhere near as much detail put in.

I think Insomniac do a fantastic job, and I definitely think that they games are awesome (I made sure that when I got my PS3 bundle, it was the one that had Ratchet & Clank in it). But you can't compare the development cycles of Insomniac and Square-Enix.

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Of course, like FFX and FFX-2...
Issomniac still need to create all new levels and enhance it (Like R&CF:ToD/QfB)
Didn't Square-Enix used the White Engine for FFXII (and had the intention of using it for FFXIII until it changed to Crystal Tools)

champagne supernova
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Of course, like FFX and FFX-2...
Issomniac still need to create all new levels and enhance it (Like R&CF:ToD/QfB)
Didn't Square-Enix used the White Engine for FFXII (and had the intention of using it for FFXIII until it changed to Crystal Tools)

Nope. Final Fantasy XIII I think was originally intended for the PS2, but then they changed their mind, and moved it onto the PS3. They then created the White Engine to be the Graphics Engine for the next-gen consoles.

I know that Insomniac have to create new levels, but creating new levels is a lot easier than creating a completely new world, with completely new characters, and design a completely new battle system. Nor does it have to create a plot with the level of detail that Final Fantasy does. And it doesn't have to create the amount of NPCs that XIII does.

Put it this way - it takes me, on average, 60 hours to play through a Final Fantasy game. It takes me about 10-12 hours to play through a Ratchet & Clank game.

I'm not knocking the Ratchet & Clank series, or Insomniac, I'm just saying that it is a lot harder to make a new game (which is basically what each new Final Fantasy is) than a sequel. Especially when that game requires strong characters and a strong story. And thus, it is a bit unfair to compare Insomniac's development cycle with any Final Fantasy development cycle.

Ouch!
08-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Just look at FFVII.
So what if you pay 10 000$ in publicity, FF7 (Most sales) got 1.5 million more in sales than FF8 (Second most sales), on Playstation.
Are you really so far up in the clouds that you think $10,000 gets a company anywhere in advertising? xD

Hyperion4444
08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Just look at FFVII.
Are you really so far up in the clouds that you think $10,000 gets a company anywhere in advertising? xD

Honestly, in Square-Enix's case, it wouldn't hurt.
I mean, come on, some few screenshots of a promised already built game just isn't enought for fans to keep themselves interested the game long enought before they officially state a released date that will somehow get delayed again. I seriously doupt it would cost 10000$ to trow out a few new screenshots and part of a recycled trailer.
A million won't hurt, but, in Square-Enix's FFXIII case, 10000$ is a start!