PDA

View Full Version : 360 version WILL delay EU/US PS3 version, CONFIRMED?

Croyles
08-03-2008, 01:22 AM
TOKYO--Today at its DK Sigma3173 Event, Square Enix made a series of announcements, including revealing the March release of a Final Fantasy XIII demo. However, those on hand were also impressed by a video shot by series designer Tetsuya Nomura which offered some raw behind-the-scenes insights into the game's development.

The video started off with an inside look at Square Enix's internal studio and its overall development environment. However, the scene quickly switched to a meeting where developers spoke bluntly about Final Fantasy XIII in general--and the Xbox 360 version in particular. The game's announcement was a major surprise at the E3 Media & Business Summit last month, where producer Yoshinori Kitase held a roundtable--but left many questions unanswered.

In the video, director Motomu Toriyama didn't beat around the bush when Nomura asked him questions about the 360 FFXIII. Starting off, he reconfirmed that, "We haven't changed the direction of the development. We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later." That means that since the game will be released simultaneously on both platforms in North America and Europe, the PS3 release will be held back in those territories until the 360 version is complete.

Furthermore, Toriyama also revealed that, as of July 29, his team hasn't yet received the tools needed to begin work on the Xbox 360 version of FFXIII. "I'm telling them to not think about the Xbox 360 right now," he said. "We can think about it after the development kits arrive."

The designer also reassured PS3 owners that the game's quality would not suffer due to the 360 port. "We aren't going to change any specifications [of FFXIII] because of the multi-platform announcement," he declared. "Right now, we're fully concentrating on the PS3 version."

Nomura and Toriyama also debunked rumors that a PC version of FFXIII is in development. They explained the confusion arose from a misunderstanding when producer Yoshinori Kitase mentioned at E3 that Square Enix is working on a PC project. "We've always been developing on PCs," laughed Nomura. "In fact, I've been doing so since Final Fantasy VI."

Judging by the video, development on FFXIII seems to be in full swing, and the remaining character designs are on schedule to be finalized in October. The voice cast has already been chosen, and it will be partially announced at the 2008 Tokyo Game Show, also in October.

Unfortunately, a playable FFXIII demo is unlikely to be at TGS 2008, which is Japan's biggest game expo. In the video, the developers openly complained when talking about the bonus demo disc that'll come with the Blu-ray disc of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children in March. Considering how long it takes to mass-produce it onto Blu-ray discs, Square Enix must finish the demo by December in order to ship it out with the computer-animated film.

Luckily, the wait looks like it will be worth it, as Toriyama promised the demo will be quite large. Though he didn't divulge many details, he mentioned that the demo takes place a little bit before the game's current trailers, with a vast and complex three-dimensional map.

Square Enix: 360 FFXIII development hasn't begun - Xbox 360 News at GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195345.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0)

People who were arguing otherwise, well there you have it.
This is why some people are annoyed. Seems porting to 360 takes longer than localisation and the PS version will get held up until its finished...
Who are they making happy with that?

Still good to see that they are first of all concentrating on making a good game (hopefully).

No trolling or flaming each other in this thread I will immediately contact a mod. Come on guys, keep it friendly.

Also, I reserve the right to be proved wrong in any future articles stating otherwise :)
Im also hoping it may have just been another misunderstanding, seeing as how we didnt see it in exact quotes...

Mirage
08-03-2008, 01:33 AM
What's there to discuss?

Croyles
08-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Nothing? I dont know, I just like posting news.

Momiji
08-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Oh well, delays are delays. It isn't like there isn't a bunch of other games already in existence that you can play while waiting.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 02:16 AM
It's still a pain in the ass. I have to wait to play Final Fantasy XIII because they don't want to release one version before the other. Jerks.

Momiji
08-03-2008, 02:29 AM
It's only a pain in the ass if you let it be one. :p

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
What a contradicting statement.
Square-Enix say we are making the PS3 version, then porting it to the 360.
yet the writter claims that it would affect in delays for the PS3?
This article is full of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 04:27 AM
It will delay the PS3 version because they're going to hold onto it until the Xbox 360 version is finished. Read.

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 04:49 AM
re-read what Squenix is saying.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 05:06 AM
"We haven't changed the direction of the development. We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later." That means that since the game will be released simultaneously on both platforms in North America and Europe, the PS3 release will be held back in those territories until the 360 version is complete.

The game IS being launched simultaneously in North America on both consoles. That means the PS3 version is going to be held back until the Xbox 360 version is finished. How does that contradict anything?

Rase
08-03-2008, 06:32 AM
This is why some people are annoyed. Seems porting to 360 takes longer than localisation and the PS version will get held up until its finished...
Who are they making happy with that?
My guess is 360 owners who want to play it will be quite happy, and PS3 owners who are getting slighted will still buy it, so Square doesn't really lose anything. People have been pissed at Square for delaying games before (FFXII), so it's nothing new.

Yar
08-03-2008, 07:22 AM
I thought that we all already knew this? :confused:

Dragonsoul
08-03-2008, 08:29 AM
I'll get the Playstation 3 version. :p

Raebus
08-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Good for you. @ Dragon Soul

As for the delay, I don't care. I've got other games to play and I'm not "omg finalfantasy!1112" crazy over it, so I won't be counting down the days.

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 02:10 PM
"We haven't changed the direction of the development. We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later." That means that since the game will be released simultaneously on both platforms in North America and Europe, the PS3 release will be held back in those territories until the 360 version is complete.

The game IS being launched simultaneously in North America on both consoles. That means the PS3 version is going to be held back until the Xbox 360 version is finished. How does that contradict anything?

That's what I've been saying, Squenix is saying that they will make the PS3 first, then porting it to the Xbox 360.
While the writter claims simultanious release.

Momiji
08-03-2008, 03:58 PM

That's what I've been saying, Squenix is saying that they will make the PS3 first, then porting it to the Xbox 360.
While the writter claims simultanious release.

The PS3 version will be made first, and then ported to the 360. Neither will be released until both are done, which does cause a delay in between. It will be a simultaneous release.

ReloadPsi
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Unlike XII where they just delayed it for goodness knows how long only for it to turn out to be just another game, they have a very, very good reason for a delay this time.

Wait for XIII to take as long as Duke Nukem Forever and then I'll sit and listen to you bitch.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Unlike XII where they just delayed it for goodness knows how long only for it to turn out to be just another game, they have a very, very good reason for a delay this time.

Waiting for the 360 version to be done isn't going to make the PS3 version any better. (And FF XII was the best Final Fantasy since IX. Rule of Three, bitch.)

Bolivar
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Apparently it's not going to delay the release of the PS3 version... in Japan. The 360 port is going to be connected to the localization process. So they don't have to be bothered by this, but we unfortunately do.

Yar
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
It's not like they were saying "August '08 guys! August '08!" and then turned around and said "Whoops, think we're going multi-platform now! Wait a bit longer, k!"

There are going to be other delays too, I'd bet on it. Xbox isn't going to be the only cause of delays.

Roto13
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Of course there will be more delays than this, but that doesn't make this delay any less of a pain in the ass. :P

Hyperion4444
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
please don't tell me more bad news...

Yar
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Of course there will be more delays than this, but that doesn't make this delay any less of a pain in the ass. :P

I wonder how long they're going to have to delay it to have a conference to decide Lightning's name. :p Three months, maybe?

Croyles
08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Their moving through the alphabet for possible names...

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 03:59 AM
I think the Versus' guy name is Gale.

Momiji
08-04-2008, 04:03 AM

The protagonist of Final Fantasy Versus XIII is a young man named Storm with dark bluish-silver hair and crimson eyes. However, the color of both his eyes and his hair have been shown to change during battle, and Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed that the color changes are both intentional and significant.[8] It has been confirmed that he is the last heir to the dynasty ruling over the last kingdom to control Crystals. He attempts to protect his kingdom against marauders who seek to conquer the city and take the Crystals by force. Nomura has compared the protagonist's family to the modern-day Japanese mafia, or Yakuza.[9]

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 04:29 AM

The protagonist of Final Fantasy Versus XIII is a young man named Storm with dark bluish-silver hair and crimson eyes. However, the color of both his eyes and his hair have been shown to change during battle, and Tetsuya Nomura has confirmed that the color changes are both intentional and significant.[8] It has been confirmed that he is the last heir to the dynasty ruling over the last kingdom to control Crystals. He attempts to protect his kingdom against marauders who seek to conquer the city and take the Crystals by force. Nomura has compared the protagonist's family to the modern-day Japanese mafia, or Yakuza.[9]

oh, well I knew it was going to be weather related.
G V Gale
H E
I R
J S
K U
L S Lightning

thanks

Dreddz
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Localization is a long process anyway, so while it is slowly being localized on the PS3 the 360 version will slowly be made also. I doubt any substantial delays will occur because of the 360 version because porting the game is probably quicker than localizing it so the 360 version will always be right behind the PS3 version.

Coma
08-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Waiting for the 360 version to be done isn't going to make the PS3 version any better. (And FF XII was the best Final Fantasy since IX. Rule of Three, bitch.)It's too bad rule of three started with a terrible precedent. XII was far and away my favorite FF. But it's true, the multiples of three, are generally awesome.

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Waiting for the 360 version to be done isn't going to make the PS3 version any better. (And FF XII was the best Final Fantasy since IX. Rule of Three, bitch.)It's too bad rule of three started with a terrible precedent. XII was far and away my favorite FF. But it's true, the multiples of three, are generally awesome.

like X-2?
Edit: I meant the trio like in that commercial add "Good things come in three"

Roto13
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
What does X-2 have to do with anything?

Raebus
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I honestly don't know. He's been quite erratic nowadays.

Momiji
08-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Rule of three:

III, VI, IX, XII.

While I'd disagree, since FFIV isn't in there, X-2 is also nowhere to be seen, making the argument even more...ridiculously flawed.

Yar
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, there's a 3 in "13," so one can hope for the best. :)

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Rule of three:

III, VI, IX, XII.

While I'd disagree, since FFIV isn't in there, X-2 is also nowhere to be seen, making the argument even more...ridiculously flawed.

didn't IX and XII sold the less compared to the other single player numbered series on PlayStation?

(FFX-2 moto, good things come in three...)

Roto13
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Because so many people started with VII and if a game isn't like VII they think it's some kind of horrible betrayal to the series' roots.

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Because so many people started with VII and if a game isn't like VII they think it's some kind of horrible betrayal to the series' roots.

I totally agree with you on this one.
It was espescially true when FFVIII was released and how they would find A Million and a Half arguments on how FFVII was better. (Despite that Final Fantasy VIII had CG that looks like is FFXIII today, all the rest was purely an opinion of choise and taste)

But I think that most FFVII fans (like myself) has past that era by now.
right?

Btw.. Didn't Square-Enix lied to us alot this past year?
A demo of FFXIII is coming out in 2007....
The game is coming in 2008....
Only for PlayStation 3...
(Read previous articles in this forum...)

At this rate we may never get to see this game...

Momiji
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Rule of three:

III, VI, IX, XII.

didn't IX and XII sold the less compared to the other single player numbered series on PlayStation?

(FFX-2 moto, good things come in three...)

How well the game sold has no effect on how good the game was. Look at the 50 Cent games. They sell like hotcakes but get awful reviews.

I would say the rule of three starts at I, so IV could be counted, but then VII would have to be counted as well and that would just be a lie. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Well I would also say there is a rule of 1st. The most popular FFs tend to be also the first ones released for a system. I, IV, VII, and X are all insanely popular despite later games on the system generally being better (Rule of 3). I'm still trying to figure out how X got so damn popular...

You have to feel sorry for the middle child though... II, V, VIII, and XI :cry:

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
The Aeons?
seriously, if it weren't for the Aeons, I wouldn't have bought FFX.
(btw, FFVIII outsold FFX, or at least it's what wiki is saying)

Yar
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
The middle children do have their own quaintnesses. II seems like a renegade, V is underestimated, VIII is "terrible" because it isn't VII-2 as many would have hoped, and XI is an MMO.

Dreddz
08-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Well I would also say there is a rule of 1st. The most popular FFs tend to be also the first ones released for a system. I, IV, VII, and X are all insanely popular despite later games on the system generally being better (Rule of 3). I'm still trying to figure out how X got so damn popular...

You have to feel sorry for the middle child though... II, V, VIII, and XI :cry:

When the hell were there rules? Can't we like whatever we want and not have to be judged because of it? That should be the only rule.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Ah Dreddz, lighten up.:p I believe most of us are joking. You don't have to take it so personal. Do you need a hug?

Roto13
08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
No. The only rule is that I make the rules.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Well we did establish that in the 3,3,3,3,3... thread;)

champagne supernova
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Square is contradicting itself quite a bit now. At E3, I remember some Squenix guy definitely said that there was a team that was porting to the 360, and they had it at the same point on both systems.

But anyway, it will probably take longer for them to localize. And at least the PS3 version will be done properly (I'm a PS3 owner, in case anyone was wondering). The Xbox 360 version might have to be rushed across due to time pressure.

And there are so many good games I haven't played that I can play until it gets released. Hell, if I'm that desperate, I could play VI or VII or VIII (if Sony could get it working on the PS3 at least!).

Yar
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM

How can I go about breaking that rule? :p