PDA

View Full Version : PS3, no picture, no sound

Hambone
08-03-2008, 01:25 AM
I use the standard A/V cables and...yeah. It just quit...working. Help???

Mirage
08-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Go to the store you bought it from and have it sent in for servicing.

Maybe you could get some more assistance here if you explained the problem properly.

Hambone
08-03-2008, 03:34 AM
I can't really go further into detail. All I know is that there is no picture or sound coming from it. All the cables are there, nothing's missing. It just doesn't make much sense.

Shoeberto
08-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Did you just buy it? If so, contact the retailer for return.

If you've had it for a while, how long has it been since you last played it? Did you see it try to perform an update? There have been some issues with recent firmware patches that cause similar problems. Try getting in contact with Sony customer service, they're doing free repair on PS3s that are running into this.

Yar
08-03-2008, 07:36 AM
I know this will sound stupid, but it's totally something that would happen to me. :mog: Is the cable plugged in? Also, is it on the right input channel?

Mirage
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
There are plenty of thnings you could tell us about it.

Does it actually turn on? Does it accept and let you eject discs? Does the fan spin? Does the controller light up if you press the PS button?If it does neither, it'spretty safe to say it's completely dead and nothing will fix it other than sending it in for servicing. If it can do all that I mentioned, there is a possibility that it's not the PS3 that is broken. It could be a configuration problem, or a problem with your TV or cables. Try connecting it to a different TV?

Hambone
08-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Hsu,

I got it for Christmas, so the warranty should still be up. It's only been about a week since I last played it, but I've gone much longer than that without using it. No, I didn't see an update trying to take place. The last update it had was about 3 weeks ago.

Yaridovich,

Yes. :p

Mirage,

Yes, it behaves completely normal and accepts and eject discs, just no input. Yes, the fan spins, yes, the controllers work. Will try.

Edit: Called the customer support people, it turns out the problem was the display settings on the PS3. The last time I used it was on an HDTV and I usually use A/V. So yeah, everything's good now.

Roto13
08-04-2008, 04:17 AM
I actually thought of that but I didn't mention it for some reason. XP

Yar
08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Edit: Called the customer support people, it turns out the problem was the display settings on the PS3. The last time I used it was on an HDTV and I usually use A/V. So yeah, everything's good now.

PS2 suffers the same problem.