PDA

View Full Version : Getting tonberry king......at low levels

Blue_Dragoon
08-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I've read some threads concerning getting the tonberry king but none make mention of level. Currently squall is around 40 and others are mid 20's. I just got the balamb garden mobile. I know 40 is decent but it seems nobody's HP has broken 2000. And I've junctioned magic and used GF abilities like HP+40% etc.

Wouldn't one hit from a normal tonberry take out my characters?

The damage I'm doing doesn't seem to be all that great either. So I don't think I can handle taking a regular tonberry with 15,000 let alone the king with upwards 200,000.

Should I just put this off til disc 3 after some intense character/GF leveling?

rubah
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM
the tonberries, like all other monsters in this game level up with you, so you could say you were relatively high levelled :]

What you need to concentrate on is getting better magic to max out your junctions rather than levelling up. Levelling will probably only hurt your chances. Get some good ammo for Irvine's limit, get the best gunblade for squall you can, and stock up on aura and just pelt them with limits.

If you do level, then level your abilities in the cactuar desert (you have to walk a long way, but you can make it with the garden) so that you don't actually, you know, level up.
Level up your gf abilities so you can refine magic so you can junction it and kill tonberries 8)

Randgris
08-04-2008, 06:57 AM
If you do level, then level your abilities in the cactuar desert (you have to walk a long way, but you can make it with the garden) so that you don't actually, you know, level up.
Level up your gf abilities so you can refine magic so you can junction it and kill tonberries 8)

The only dessert with cactuars in it are Cactuar Island and the other desert that I forgot the name (I think it starts with a K). That desert had abyss worms I believe. I personally got the Card Ability, turn non cactuar monsters into cards (Carding monsters do not give you EXP). My technique for encountering cactuars in that desert, always move near the darker dunes. Cactuars seem to appear in those specific areas only.

Use Demi/Diablos. Tonberries are weak against it. I got GF Tonberry at level of 20ish ( I believe 23).

pyrefly maiden
08-04-2008, 07:09 AM
You can also cast Meltdown on the tonberries to make them take more damage. Refine Meltdowns from Mystery Fluids mugged from those Gaylas (flying creatures that try to make you sleep lol) in the shumi village area with Diablos' ST Mag-RF. Demi works well but I think not on Tonberry King. If you're not afraid of risking it, I typically had Squall maintained at low health and wail on the tonberries with his limit breaks (but not for Tonberry King, I just use auras.)

Xurts
08-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Use Demi/Diablos. Tonberries are weak against it. I got GF Tonberry at level of 20ish ( I believe 23).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
That takes way to long to kill ~20 of them. Limit Break spam works much faster.

Hambone
08-10-2008, 01:26 AM
the tonberries, like all other monsters in this game level up with you, so you could say you were relatively high levelled :]

What you need to concentrate on is getting better magic to max out your junctions rather than levelling up. Levelling will probably only hurt your chances. Get some good ammo for Irvine's limit, get the best gunblade for squall you can, and stock up on aura and just pelt them with limits.

This.

Heath
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with what rubah said. When playing through FFVIII again recently, I definitely found that junctioning magic was of more use than levelling up.

Carl the Llama
09-01-2008, 03:41 AM
Well first off I'll point out that the Cactuar desert isnt actully the best place to level GF's abilitys, just off the top of my head I know that the beach around balam you can fight Fastitocalon - F's 2 of which (without fail it will always be 2) and you get 6AP, the T Rexaur also gives 10AP (but then again its a hard monster to find so meh.

if you really want to get your characters stats up then get to it with the Card Mod, makeing items of cards and magic of the items is the best way to get powerful majiks early in the game.

ReloadPsi
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Lemme give you the short version: you can get Tonberry King at any level. EXP level affects absolutely jack in this game as long as you abuse the oh-so-broken junction system ^____^ Now go drop a train on 'em!

Incidentally, if your level is low but your HP are high due to junction, you'll be barely affected by "Everyone's Grudge" as it relates to your kill count, and low levels mean a low kill count.