PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

Cyric
08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Lately, with all the remakes of the earlier Final Fantasy's getting significant upgrades to graphics and such, I've been thinking about getting involved with them. Especially with the 3D and voice-acting for FFIV (even though I've never played the original). I personally don't like the 2-screen layout of the DS, but I'll put up with it if I have to. Are these games getting released to the PSP as well? Or am I stuck with getting a DS? If you think me getting a handheld console just for FF is nuts, well, that's pretty much why I bought my PSX and then my PS2, and FFXIII will be the reason I buy a PS3. So, it is a trend that I'm used to. ;) Anyways, any tips, suggestions or encouragements for me with this?

Yar
08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Well....

The DS remakes really don't use the two screen too much, and they both do not require a stylus. In III, pretty much everything is on one screen. The top screen is only used for maps and such.

IV uses both screens, but very intelligently. The top screen is all your action, while the bottom acts as maps and, when in battle, shows the ATB and HP and such.

I seriously doubt these will ever go to PSP, but I guess anything can happen and you should never say never.

These two games were the only reason I bought my DS (initally), but with other great games like Tetris DS and Front Mission and such, I prefer my DS to my PSP. I really only use my PSP for homebrew. I own 0 PSP games, because none appeal to me, and if they do, they're PSX ports and I either already own them to play on PSX and play on my PSP or I just pirate anyway.

Dreddz
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
If its remakes you care about get a DS as none of them are going to the PSP (for now at least). If you want original titles then its really split between the two. But the PSP has the stronger future in my opinion.

I really only use my PSP for homebrew. I own 0 PSP games, because none appeal to me, and if they do, they're PSX ports and I either already own them to play on PSX and play on my PSP or I just pirate anyway.

Really? None of them? What a waste of money on your behalf. There has to be at least one title that fancies your interest.

Fynn
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I have both and I'm satisfied with both. I actually think it's quite balanced: the DS has FFIII, IV (plus, you can play the GBA remakes of I, II, V and VI, so you can play all of the old-school games on the DS) and of course there's FFXII: RW and FFTA2. And there's also Chrono Trigger and KH:358/2 Days to be released, if you're interested. On the other hand, the PSP has FFT:TWotL, FFVII: Crisis Core. There's also KH:BbS coming.

Magixion
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I also have both and do not regret it at all. I love the re-makes for the DS (III, IV, and also the GBA versions of the re-makes you can play), but then again, I love Crisis Core (Easily one of my favorite games on any system) and the re-make of Final Fantasy Tactics. I believe that the PSP will have more hardcore games coming to it, the simple fact that it has a little more horsepower than the DS, but the DS really does have a good lineup coming to it too. So, my advice is to check out what games are coming out for it or are already out and make your decision based off of that.

ljkkjlcm9
08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
well for me
Right now I have FFTA2 and FFIV DS to keep my occupied.
Next month we get Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood, Disgaea, Dragon Quest IV... and later we get Chrono Trigger DS, Dragon Quest IX, and many other games

THE JACKEL

Slothy
08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd go with the PSP, but mainly because the remake of FF Tactics, and Parasite Eve 3 are things I care more about than the other remakes that made their way to the DS. Then again, I haven't had the chance to play my copy of Revenant Wings yet, so maybe that's more worthwhile than I think it is. But aside from those, there are more titles I want for the PSP and emulating PSX games on the PSP pretty much clinches it.

Vivisteiner
08-04-2008, 10:52 PM
I love my PSP for these games:

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Im going to get:

Patapon
Disgaea
FF1
FF2

Released in the future:

Final Fantasy Agito XIII
Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Id recommend a PSP, but I dont have a DS to compare it with. Im interested in getting a DS for the FF remakes, but I cant shell out the money atm.

Bolivar
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah there's so many remakes/spinoffs on DS, also because of the GBA port. Since this is in General FF, I gotta say FFTA, TA2, Revenant Wings, GBA ports/remakes (I, II, IV, V, VI), and with how well III and IV were remade, I would say the DS is the way to go. Personally, it just has the games I go for when it comes to handhelds anyway. I'm not really looking for a console in my lap, just something fun for when I'm on the go.

Heath
08-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I've yet to play FFIV-DS yet but from what I've been told, it makes quite nice use of the two screens. FFIII certainly wouldn't have been that much different with only one screen, certainly no worse, I don't think. World map was handy to have up, I'll concede, but it's not impossible to have a game without it present (FFI, for instance. As I own a DS and not a PSP, I'm quite content and biased for the games to be released for the DS. Though I do think it would be silly of designers not to make use of the two screens and the stylus while they're there.

Crossblades
08-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Well, lets compare of what FF games both handhelds have to offer

DS

Final Fantasy III(remake)
Final Fantasy IV(remake)
Final Fantasy XII:Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables:Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2:Grimoire of the Rift

PSP

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy VII:Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions
Dissidia:Final Fantasy(future release)
Final Fantasy Agito XIII(future release)

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. Try to get both handhelds if you can. Both contain really good games(though I still need to get a PSP myself :p )

Cyric
08-05-2008, 06:12 AM
hmm...maybe I will buy both...it's $300 worth of system, but the games are cheaper than I thought...$40 each...I'm actually getting back into FFII (the original NES version) and playing that at the same time as FFVII, so I may end up getting the DS first for FFIII and IV. Your feedback has been awesome!

Shadowdeathrose
08-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Lately, with all the remakes of the earlier Final Fantasy's getting significant upgrades to graphics and such, I've been thinking about getting involved with them. Especially with the 3D and voice-acting for FFIV (even though I've never played the original). I personally don't like the 2-screen layout of the DS, but I'll put up with it if I have to. Are these games getting released to the PSP as well? Or am I stuck with getting a DS? If you think me getting a handheld console just for FF is nuts, well, that's pretty much why I bought my PSX and then my PS2, and FFXIII will be the reason I buy a PS3. So, it is a trend that I'm used to. ;) Anyways, any tips, suggestions or encouragements for me with this?

Some remakes are already out on PSP and i shall be buying a PSP shortly for the same reason, as well as a PS3 so your not alone bud

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Personally I like the DS better because of games like The World Ends with You and the Ace Attorney series, but the PSP has stuff going for it, too.

It has extra features the DS doesn't have, plus Dissidia is coming. DISSIDIA. DISSIIIDIIIIIAAAAAH

Bolivar
08-13-2008, 04:41 AM
Well, lets compare of what FF games both handhelds have to offer

DS

Final Fantasy III(remake)
Final Fantasy IV(remake)
Final Fantasy XII:Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables:Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2:Grimoire of the Rift

PSP

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy VII:Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions
Dissidia:Final Fantasy(future release)
Final Fantasy Agito XIII(future release)

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. Try to get both handhelds if you can. Both contain really good games(though I still need to get a PSP myself :p )

I would add to the list

Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
Final Fantasy IV Advance
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance

to the DS list, not because it's my preference, but because it should be noted.

Cyric
08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
I ended up buying a DS this past weekend along with FF3 and FF4...it felt weird hearing voice-overs on graphics that are on-par with FF9...dunno why...what little I played of 4, the story does seem promising...but there is DEFINITELY a change in the way they (Square) did things from FF3 to FF4. The only thing I wish is for a way to play them on a bigger screen. I already can't wait to hook it up to my 2.1 400W computer sound-system with 10" subwoofer...lol...HUGE sound, tiny screen...

Vivisteiner
08-14-2008, 12:08 PM
*sigh*

You shoulda got the PSP. You'll regret it for the rest of your life. You'll cry and cry and wander the lonely streets with nought but a plastic bag and a tear in your eye.

:p

Enjoy the DS. But get a PSP later when Dissidia comes out, mkay?

I know I'll probably get a DS if they release another remake on it.

Comet
08-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I love my PSP. :love:

Hyperion4444
08-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm going to buy a PSP simply because of it's functions.
Portable MP3 Player, Picture Storage, Video Sharer, Wi-Fi Internet Browser, Skype (Internet Based Phone)... not to mention personal GPS system and the list goes on...

Cyric
08-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Portable MP3 Player, Picture Storage, Video Sharer, Wi-Fi Internet Browser, Skype (Internet Based Phone)... not to mention personal GPS system and the list goes on...

I'm one of those crazy people that likes to pay attention to the road in front of them, rather than mess around with the radio, GPS, internet, MP3's etc. :tongue: Other than that, I can use all that stuff at home.

Hyperion4444
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM

I'm one of those crazy people that likes to pay attention to the road in front of them, rather than mess around with the radio, GPS, internet, MP3's etc. :tongue: Other than that, I can use all that stuff at home.

You play games while driving?

...wait, You use your GPS at home?!?
oh yeah, it also plays games.

Good ones like
Super Stardust
Field Commander
FFVII: CC
FFXIII : Agito
Dissidia FF
Killzone Liberation
GoW:CoO
WipeOuts Pure/Pulse
SW: SoW
Bunch of FF....
and other great games...

I like lisening to the radio in my car and transport my music wherever I go.
So I'll be buying a PSP, since buying a handheld just to play games just isn't a good enought reason for me to buy one.

Vivisteiner
08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah. Half the time Im on a car journey I just listen to the music on my PSP. I sometimes feel a little sick if Im playing games while moving like that.

Elly
08-15-2008, 09:31 PM
not to mention Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is gonna look 100x better on the PSP than the DS, by what i've seen of the screenshots... of course the best version will be on PS3 with the 2nd best on X360, but as far as portable versions go the PSP will be the better choice for video and audio, though the DS is gonna incorporate a cool way to control the saber with the touch screen, but the graphics are awefull and the sound naturaly not as good as the PSP... also PSP has Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Star Wars: Battlefront Renegade Squadron, & Guilty Gear: Judgment (some of the great games in my collection that were not mentioned yet)...

(Disclaimer: i own both systems and will never give an unfair opinion, as both systems have their good and bad points...)

Jessweeee♪
08-15-2008, 09:42 PM
The PSP has GPS o.O

Elly
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
yup, in Jp & U.K., hopefully we'll get it in the U.S. soon too, along with the camera attatchment...

Rostum
08-16-2008, 01:21 AM
I say get both! Save up extra money and get both! Both have some brilliant games out and coming out.

PSP has FF7: Crisis Core, God of War, Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile and will get FFXIII Agito as well as a new Parasite Eve game. Not to mention homebrew stuff is brilliant, especially emulating PSX games.

DS has some awesome stuff too, like the Final Fantasy remakes, heaps of cool Mario games if you like them, Pokemanz, etc. And it can also play GBA games, which you can also homebrew and emulate.

So yeah, get both.

Cyric
08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Save up extra money and get both!

I laughed HARD at that. Trust me, money isn't a problem for me...yet. People may think that I chose a BAD time to work for GM (during the past 3 years), but IMO, I picked the BEST possible time. :)

Hyperion4444
08-25-2008, 05:38 PM

I laughed HARD at that. Trust me, money isn't a problem for me...yet. People may think that I chose a BAD time to work for GM (during the past 3 years), but IMO, I picked the BEST possible time. :)

Not everyone has a stable job yet, some are still in school and others like me in university.

For me, calling my friends/family from around the world is important, so the PSP much more convenient for me.

Raebus
08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Use a mobile phone, then.

I don't see how carrying a light mobile phone and putting it in your pocket is less convenient.

Goldenboko
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Not everyone has a stable job yet, some are still in school and others like me in university.

For me, calling my friends/family from around the world is important, so the PSP much more convenient for me.

Use a mobile phone, then.

I don't see how carrying a light mobile phone and putting it in your pocket is less convenient.

Exactly.

If I want to play video games, give me something that plays video games. If I want a moble, ipod, phone, etc, etc. I'd buy an Iphone.

Cyric
08-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Yeah, my job isn't stable. In fact, I'm officially on lay-off for the next 8 weeks. I'm in one of the plants that GM announced it was closing, and I have my termination form filled out to get a nice lump-sum of cash and a car voucher. Hopefully, I never have to set foot on GM soil, after I hand in the form, ever again.