PDA

View Full Version : MMORPGs

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 07:39 AM
I seriously don't see the point. I'll love videogames alot. I really do. For me, the best game is short, maybe 10 hours, not too much idle time like random battles, and a great plot with twists that really mess with your mind. Those kinds of games are great.

Then you have MMORPGs. Absolutely no story worth seeing. Nothing but idle battle (clicking ... over and over) and no possible way to beat it to move to the next game, with a new great plot. It's just one long long long long pointless game. Everyone around you are immature kids. You move from place to place for no reason. There is nothing particularly /moving/ about these games.

So. Why? Why do you guys play MMORPGs?

DrDeath in Despair
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
People play MMOs To talk to other kids and boast how big their E-Penis is in that game.

Cyric
08-04-2008, 09:45 AM
So. Why? Why do you guys play MMORPGs?

Because EVE-Online is NOTHING like what you just described an MMO as. :) Give it a try (Free 14-day Trial) and see what you think. I'd even suggest you watch the Introduction movie to see just how SOLID the backstory to EVE-Online is.

Here, I'll even let you watch the Intro movie without even having to download the client: (you may need to turn up the volume a bit)

YouTube - Eve Online Introduction Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsO-hqOav8)

...and the two teasers and final trailer for the Empyrean Age expansion...(the volume's fine on these ones)

YouTube - EVE Online: Empyrean Age Teaser #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H3jtRT3YLA)
YouTube - EVE Online: Empyrean Age Teaser #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ljb9s_drOI)
YouTube - EVE Online: Empyrean Age Official Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKdTJjDnYzE)

demondude
08-04-2008, 10:27 AM
They're really addictive though, if I sat down to play 1/2 an hour it'd turn into 5 hours or something.

Vermachtnis
08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Because playing with friends and not having to share the same screen is fun. Plus random strangers are there too. Oh and doing stuff that has nothing at all to do with anything, but it pointless fun. Like climbing on high stuff and jumping down and scaring people and repeat or die.

Magixion
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
For me, I am in the minority here. I love my MMORPG's, but I play them for a different reason than most. I am a big roleplayer. I love immersing myself into the lore and crafting an actual story for a character I create.

escobert
08-04-2008, 04:37 PM
have you ever played a MMO for any amount of time? of course there is a story and back lore and whatnot. there's a reason for going to places not just "lol this place looks cool lets go here!" and beating people up in PvP is MUCH more fun then beating a computer :p

Roto13
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
While I think stories are completely unnecessary past an excuse for doing whatever the hell you're supposed to be doing in a game, I'd rather stay out of mumorpuguhs for a couple of reasons. First, the giant timesinks and I don't want my life revolving around them. xP Second, I'd have to play online with strangers and every time I do that, I lose more faith in humanity.

Yar
08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
While I still prefer single player RPGs, MMORPGs are a nice change of pace. However, I only play one, and that's Final Fantasy XI.

[My brother wants me to play WoW with him, but in my opinion I find it's userbase a bit too immature (I'm sorry if you're one of them, but I don't like to be told to eat http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif by a twelve-year old) and the game looks too cartoony for me.

Final Fantasy XI is nice because it has some really strong elements from the series and a small yet seemingly more intelligent userbase.

As far as the time consumed, I can agree and disagree. I just repurchased XI and I've been on a binge of 15 hours in just the last two days. So, you can lose track of time. But I am happy today is being used to update, because there are some things I need to do. I very rarely spend that much time on a game, but if I get a new game, It seems to consume me, MMORPG or not.

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Well. The only excuse I found remotely decent was Magixion's "I like the role play." The only problem with that is, its nearly impossible since no one else is willing to really do it. =/

As for you guys who like to play with your friends on different screens or meet strangers ... I do it all the time ... for free ... outside ... in real life. You can meet people at your local starbucks. Just sit down next to someone and ask them. "Why are you here? No. I mean. At this moment. Are you really meant to be here?" Or some random http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif like that. =P You can learn a lot more from IRL people than you can from people in MMOs. You can go outside with your friends and play frisby while discussing the new batman movie, or that cute naked chick you both saw at the river the other day because you were /doing/ something and not wasting your time on an MMO. I mean, yeah, I see how they can be fun, but ... if you really thought of the futility of it when you open the MMO ... you'd probably get just as sick of it as me. Imagine if you spent fifteen hours trying to pick up a girl, or practicing how to cook ... you'd be getting somewhere. ;D

I'm a guy with not much time. I have to work. A lot. I'm learning how to run linux, which takes a lot of time. I'm trying to finish a lot of old games, which takes time. I have a giant book list that i think is growing faster than I can keep up with it. Between all of this, if I started an MMO . . . I would have absolutely no life. And I especially can't bring myself to do it because I know anything I could do in that MMO, I could do in real life, and enjoy it more.

Yar
08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Okay, well, whatever you like to do with your time is your business. I didn't know that the point of this thread was to try to validate our reasoning for playing MMOs.

I spend time at work and doing other things, and sometimes I want to play an MMO. I didn't know that I needed your permission, so I guess I'll stop now to go "find a girl or learn to cook."

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey, if you like it, you like it. Just letting you know why I think its a total waste of time.

I really just wanted to see what kind of reasons people would give me for playing MMOs. I wasn't really impressed, but ... I guess they are still valid reasons.

I mean. If you really thought it was worth your time to play them ... you wouldn't be getting all sore about what I have to say about them. You'd be proud you had something so nice to invest your time in.

Yar
08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Yes. I am proud of my level 9 black mage. ;)

But seriously, I think that video games in general are a complete waste of time, but so is 90% of what I do. I think TV is a waste and music is a waste and work is a waste. However, when I'm on my death-bed I don't think I'll be saying "Wow, I wish I wouldn't have spent so much time playing games," because I liek to play games. I think I'll be saying "Wow, I wish I hadn't spent so much time working," because I hate to work, and all that money won't mean http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif to me anyway because I'll be dying.

Bunny
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
As for you guys who like to play with your friends on different screens or meet strangers ... I do it all the time ... for free ... outside ... in real life. You can meet people at your local starbucks. Just sit down next to someone and ask them. "Why are you here? No. I mean. At this moment. Are you really meant to be here?" Or some random :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that. =P You can learn a lot more from IRL people than you can from people in MMOs. You can go outside with your friends and play frisby while discussing the new batman movie, or that cute naked chick you both saw at the river the other day because you were /doing/ something and not wasting your time on an MMO. I mean, yeah, I see how they can be fun, but ... if you really thought of the futility of it when you open the MMO ... you'd probably get just as sick of it as me. Imagine if you spent fifteen hours trying to pick up a girl, or practicing how to cook ... you'd be getting somewhere. ;D

Oh god, shut up.

Your post is nothing but a bunch of self-righteous bull. Go up to a stranger and ask him the question you provided yourself, because I bet you haven't ever done that. You'll notice most people in this world do not take kindly to strangers just sitting down at random and talking to them, let alone questioning their existence. Don't criticize people's choices of life and yours won't be criticized. Some people like playing MMORPGs, if you don't, fine, but don't tell people it'd be just the same experience as going outside because it isn't.

If you want to talk about futility, let's go ahead and talk. Someday you are going to do. Everything you've done in your life will be forgotten because it isn't important in the scheme of things. You will die and everyone else that you knew will die.

I play them because I can and because I want to. That's my reason, not my excuse. If you don't approve of it, I don't care. I have a life outside of video games and I don't need some self-righteous prick who thinks his choices of a lifestyle is better than mine.

Oh yeah and mods, if this can be seen as an attack then his post is a troll. So gg.

bipper
08-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Living is the most important part of living. So if you like video games, I would not call playing them a waste of time. :rolleyes2

On MMORPGS, the environment is organic. Since the beginning of game conception, people have tried to make games more an more organic. Thus the video game revolutionizing the are of gaming. MMORPGs encapsulate the human psyche, and put it to work against other people. What more of an organic experience can you ask for than multiplayer gaming? Well, multiplayer role playing from you laptop while wearing underwear and never leaving your bed.

I understand they are not for everyone, and I will never claim that they are.

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't think videogames are a waste of time. I've played many games, MGS, Ico, FF, to name a few, that have /really/ inspired me. Same with many movies and books. Of course money will be worthless to you when you get old and die. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have it while you're young. I think I have at least another 80 years before I'm on my deathbed. Before then, I'll be glad to have worked all summer that one summer to save enough money to take a trip to Europe. At least I'll have gone somewhere for real, to experience other languages and cultures. I /real/ adventure. Not a fake one on a screen.

And, Bunny. If you weren't self righteous yourself, you wouldn't be talking like you know me. How do you know I haven't talked to strangers? I met one of my girlfriends by sitting down randomly with her at a Starbucks and starting up a conversation.

All in all, if you're taking about things to do before you die. Spending most of your life on an MMO should not be one of them.

Magixion
08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Well. The only excuse I found remotely decent was Magixion's "I like the role play." The only problem with that is, its nearly impossible since no one else is willing to really do it. =/

As for you guys who like to play with your friends on different screens or meet strangers ... I do it all the time ... for free ... outside ... in real life. You can meet people at your local starbucks. Just sit down next to someone and ask them. "Why are you here? No. I mean. At this moment. Are you really meant to be here?" Or some random :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that. =P You can learn a lot more from IRL people than you can from people in MMOs. You can go outside with your friends and play frisby while discussing the new batman movie, or that cute naked chick you both saw at the river the other day because you were /doing/ something and not wasting your time on an MMO. I mean, yeah, I see how they can be fun, but ... if you really thought of the futility of it when you open the MMO ... you'd probably get just as sick of it as me. Imagine if you spent fifteen hours trying to pick up a girl, or practicing how to cook ... you'd be getting somewhere. ;D

I'm a guy with not much time. I have to work. A lot. I'm learning how to run linux, which takes a lot of time. I'm trying to finish a lot of old games, which takes time. I have a giant book list that i think is growing faster than I can keep up with it. Between all of this, if I started an MMO . . . I would have absolutely no life. And I especially can't bring myself to do it because I know anything I could do in that MMO, I could do in real life, and enjoy it more.

Ok, sorry to say, these posts you have on here are starting to get a little ridiculous. You ask for a discussion and then bash everyone for their opinions.

Just because you think something is a waste of time, doesn't make it a waste of time. Some people would rather spend their time playing a game just because of their personalities. Maybe some people are not as outgoing as others and would like to stay at home in their comfort zone and have some time to play a game with others like them.

The thing that bothers me most about your post, though, is that you basically look down at others who say, play MMORPG's and try and justify your outlook on people by saying you don't waste your time by playing them. The funny thing is, you say you do play lots of old games though. I ask you this, what is the difference between playing an MMO for 3 hours than playing an old game for 3 hours? The answer to that is nothing. Other than the fact that you were able to kill 3 hours by doing something that you say is "pointless".

Just FYI as well, I am in school for over 40 hours a week, I still do homework, play "pointless" MMO's, and manage to balance a healthy social life with friends and girls.

Goldenboko
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM
People who get overly addicted to MMO's normally have an addictive personality. I know many people who play MMO's and are normal, and probably have more of a life then me (I don't play MMO's).

Its just knowing how to balance. I think MMO's have more of an immersive factor and real competition drive then all other games so you need to be able to get into those two aspects.

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Games that you can finish usually have characters and stories that show different aspects of humanity and life. MMOs don't at all. There's a huge difference.

Bunny
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
And, Bunny. If you weren't self righteous yourself, you wouldn't be talking like you know me. How do you know I haven't talked to strangers? I met one of my girlfriends by sitting down randomly with her at a Starbucks and starting up a conversation.

Never said you haven't talked to a stranger before, everyone has. But have you ever randomly walked up to a person and asked the question that you posed in your post? I was doubting that. I'm sure your relationship lasted a long time, too.

All in all, if you're taking about things to do before you die. Spending most of your life on an MMO should not be one of them.

Most MMORPGs will not be around for even a fraction of a person's life, unless they die prematurely. So how exactly am I wasted the majority of my life by playing a video game? I have a healthy relationship and healthy friendships. I also live a fairly decent life that includes playing video games. I go outside when I want to and I play video games when I want to. What you are talking about is addiction to gaming, which very few people have.

escobert
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't think videogames are a waste of time. I've played many games, MGS, Ico, FF, to name a few, that have /really/ inspired me. Same with many movies and books. Of course money will be worthless to you when you get old and die. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have it while you're young. I think I have at least another 80 years before I'm on my deathbed. Before then, I'll be glad to have worked all summer that one summer to save enough money to take a trip to Europe. At least I'll have gone somewhere for real, to experience other languages and cultures. I /real/ adventure. Not a fake one on a screen.

you act as if people who play MMOs never leave their house. Yes that does happen in extreme cases but not commonly. I've been playing online multiplayer games for years and had a very viable social life. I spend just as much time playing oblivion or final fantasy as I have on any MMO.

Jowy
08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Games that you can finish usually have characters and stories that show different aspects of humanity and life. MMOs don't at all. There's a huge difference.

History of Warcraft - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/History_of_Warcraft)

Read that, shut up.

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm sure you guys have great lives. But I still think MMOs are a waste of time.

Jowy, I'd like to let you know that I'm reading a history book right now. About real things that actually happened. Real mistakes that leaders did. Read ideas that people thought up. All of which brought us to where we are today. They the hell would I want to read the history of warcraft, that some weirdos in some department made up. What a waste of time. Get a life.

Jowy
08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
"Games that you can finish usually have characters and stories that show different aspects of humanity and life. MMOs don't at all. There's a huge difference."

I provided a link to story elements and characters in World of Warcraft since you mentioned MMOs being a pointless grindfest with no form of direction. Secondly, what difference do "weirdos in some department" coming up with a fantastic storyline and "weirdos in Japan making a game that's 20 hours long." None whatsoever. You're vision towards MMO games is hilariously skewed towards immaturity as well, whereas most players who seem to progress through content in these games are well into their twenties and probably older. And since you're assuming again I don't have a life, don't live with my girlfriend, and don't have any friends, what do I have to live for?!

9/10 would be trolled by you again.

Flying Mullet
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Initial Fantasy, you've done nothing but flame people in several of posts today. Consider this a warning and please don't flame anyone anymore.

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow story has nothing on any 20 decent 20 hour game. And its also pointless to study the history of something like that when you could be learning from a real history.

And I'm sorry you don't live with your girlfriend. It's probably better for the both of you. =P

Bunny
08-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow story has nothing on any 20 decent 20 hour game. And its also pointless to study the history of something like that when you could be learning from a real history.

Actually, it would be the other way around. A story confined to only twenty hours of gameplay has nothing on a story that is so expansive as a story such as the one behind WoW. You don't have to study it, you just have to recognize that you are wrong about every single view that you have on this subject and maybe go away.

Congratulations on your failure though. You should probably learn how to troll before making another attempt at it.

Jowy
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM

And I'm sorry you don't live with your girlfriend. It's probably better for the both of you. =P

I was being sarcastic, she's looking over my shoulder right now facepalming at your stupidity.

escobert
08-04-2008, 07:22 PM
maybe go away.

qft

Roto13
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Jowy, I'd like to let you know that I'm reading a history book right now. About real things that actually happened. Real mistakes that leaders did. Read ideas that people thought up. All of which brought us to where we are today. They the hell would I want to read the history of warcraft, that some weirdos in some department made up. What a waste of time. Get a life.

MMOS R 4 LOOSERS AND IM 2 BUZY WIT MAI SRS BZNSS 2 CONSIDR TEH ATLERNATIVE!!!1!!!!

Initial Fantasy
08-04-2008, 07:32 PM
You can't compare a game as brilliant as Policenauts, Live a Live, or Metal Gear Solid to something as ridiculous as wow. Also, I know you were being sarcastic, Jowy. I was countering with sarcasm. Facepalm at your facepalm. I hope your girlfriend doesn't see this. How embarrassing.

bipper
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Initial:
Opinions are not facts.
Your opinions manifest judgments.
Your judgments are being presented as "matters-of-fact"
You're coming off like a pompous ass.

If you cannot understand something, don't make a matter of fact judgment on it.

Don't worry about what other people do for fun. So long as it is legal, ethical, and moral in a social sense, then accept it. Your assult and troll is not going to gain you any ground here.

If you met your girl friend at a starbucks, awesome. I don't see why that puts you on the pedestal over my buddy who met his girlfriend while playing wow. They now are moved in together and enjoy each other's company immensely. We could troll your examples just as effectively.

in short, stop trolling and go back to Xchan. (gbtxc).

Jowy
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
All you seem to be doing is disregarding everything posted and flaming World of Warcraft with no real evidence as to why it sucks. She just left for work and leaves the regards of "kill yourself." If you're not banned by 11:15 PM, I'm sure she'll post in this thread.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - you're a fail troll, go back to whatever forum you crawled from.

*edit* why is there a filter for tl;dr?

Flying Mullet
08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't think the closing of this thread needs any explanation.