PDA

View Full Version : Level-Whoring in XIII

Yar
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Would you like the ability to? Do you think it should be prevented?

I'd like to see it prevented, but it would be hard for the game to tell the difference between a person grinding to infinity or a person stuck for a long time.

Tactics had it's own way that kind of worked. Their equipment was much better than yours if your levels got higher, and you could really only get theirs at the time by stealing from them. VIII had the enemies level with you.

I think the game should be kept as a challenge, but I know that some players like to be over-leveled for the game.

Opinions?

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm against over-leveling myself. Its funny how many times I run into people who say XII was too easy and come to find out that they power-leveled really early, and had a Lv. 99 party before getting to Archades. :rolleyes2

It can be fixed pretty easy if the monsters require strategy to win. An easy way to get this effect would be to lower gil and exp. that monsters give while jacking the price of items through the roof. Not to mention making certain useful items unavailable until near endgame (like ethers). We could also bring back tents and lose the save points ability to restore all health.

As long as the monsters were pretty powerful and used the same level of strategy against the party as you have to in order to beat them; then it will make grinding quite difficult for all but the people who seriously have no life or want a real challenge. :D

champagne supernova
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
XII also had the wonderful ability to make your MP go up as you ran. So, I think that definitely needs to go, because it made level-whoring very very easy.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2008, 08:00 PM
XII also had the wonderful ability to make your MP go up as you ran. So, I think that definitely needs to go, because it made level-whoring very very easy.

Agree

LunarWeaver
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
In Lost Odyssey, enemies give you a lot of EXP at first and your levels shoot up. It gives you an instant sense of progression. However, after you reach a certain level the EXP gained becomes next to nothing. This usually happens around the end of the dungeon. It got rid of the need to level-grind, and the bosses were difficult because the developers knew what level your party would be at and could balance them appropriately. It really wasn't so bad. I enjoyed, for once, not feeling a sense of "obligation" to level up a lot, afraid I would fall behind or something. You literally couldn't do it even if you wanted to. This also meant when visiting previous areas after you're a higher level the enemies would become easy, avoiding the worst part of the "enemies level with you" concept. You still felt like you had gotten powerful, not like nothing had changed.

I don't dislike level grinding either, though. And really, grinding has always been a choice on the player, as is purposefully leveling very little to make it harder. In the end, it's not a big deal to me either way.

Formalhaut
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
It be good for level grinders to have a "New game +" or a "Level 99 mode" after they complete the main game the "normal way" so they have something to work for.

Hyperion4444
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
It be good for level grinders to have a "New game +" or a "Level 99 mode" after they complete the main game the "normal way" so they have something to work for.

Like an easy/normal/hard mode.

VeloZer0
08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Having an steep exponential rate of exp increase for characters can help quite a bit.

The AP in XII was horribly designed, you essentially got the same AP all throughout the game, which just promotes staying in one place and grinding.

Jessweeee♪
08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Can't we just play how we want?

:(

Slothy
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Can't we just play how we want?

:(

I support this. Honestly, people level grinding doesn't affect those of us who don't want to. If they want to take the challenge away from the game and ruin the gameplay experience for themselves, let them. Those of us who don't like power leveling won't and we'll be happy as clams. Some people play for different reasons, like the story rather than the gameplay or what have you, so why ruin their experience because we want a challenge? As long as the game isn't too easy without power leveling I'll be happy.

Hyperion4444
08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I prefer FFVIII's leveling system.
You only need a certain amount of expt to level up.
I don't have the patience to max out the levels to 100 each time I start a new game, espescially went the required expt continue to increase with each new levels. (or decrease due to the character's level difference compared to the monster)
I'm sure think there a better way to level up without the need to fight endless waves of monsters that foundamently non-rewarding and useless.

btw, I did not said anything about the monster leveling up as you level up. Personally, I have no problem with that since it keeps the game challenging. Seriously, a 114 hp bite bug isn't as different as a 2510 hp bite bug. Because, by the time you're at level 100, you'll be hitting well over 5000hp without any junction boost. When you needed 3 hits at level 7.
True. It could've been done better.