PDA

View Full Version : New Game (Recommendations please!)

Magixion
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
So, I am looking for some sort of new game to play. I have a very broad range that I am open to. I have lots of consoles and handhelds, so the system it is on doesn't matter much. (I have a DS, PSP, 360, PS2, and of course PC.. basically anything besides a Wii and PS3). I am looking for a new type of RPG to play. Maybe something that isn't so mainstream but also a great game.

Here is what I think I will do, I will give a type of game and maybe you guys can throw out some suggestions. :D

PC (preferably an MMO of some sort that is free or inexpensive, maybe with a role playing environment. I like to immerse myself!):

-your suggestion here-

PSP (srpg, jrpg, basically any sort of RPG):

DS (Whatever is fun on DS!):

PSX (any old school classics you recommend.. though I have probably played almost all of them xD):

PS2 (any sort of RPG):

JKTrix
08-04-2008, 08:41 PM
DS: The World Ends With You?

Yar
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
PC- I usually play like RollerCoaster Tycoon, Sims 2 and I just picked up Final Fantasy XI again.

DS- Front Mission, Planet Puzzle League.

PS2- Dragon Quest VIII is a nice traditional RPG. It's incorrect and overuse of the term "über" is irritating though.

I also like Hitman on my PS2. There's also the disc of all the old Sonic games.

You could also check out ROMs for like SNES and such. Games like the Lufia Series or even Mario RPG. Maybe try Final Fantasy I-III in their unadulterated NES forms. :shifty:

Depression Moon
08-04-2008, 09:08 PM
DQ8 isn't on the PSP it's for the PS2 you can get that or Arc the lad Twilight of the Spirits if you want something cheap, FFX if you already haven't played it.

JKTrix was right telling you about The World Ends With You. You can also go with Valkyrie Profile Lenneth for the PSP and FF Tactics if you don't already have it.

For PS1 games I guess you could go with Threads of Fate, Tekken 3 probably isn't as fun anymore with the new gen of fighters, let's see ummm... of you could also go with any of the old ports of the old school FFs.

Ki Ki
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
PC: Hello Kitty Island Adventure? :kaolove2:

Well ... srsly, I tried flyff once. It's a completely free mmorpg. It was kind of boring though. But it's cute and free so what can you expect?

Laddy
08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Baldur's Gate II for PC. It's one of the greatest RPG's ever.

Dreddz
08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Jeanne D'arc is the best SRPG you can get on the PSP, definitely worth a look.

Dragonsoul
08-04-2008, 10:47 PM
PC - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Xbox 360 - Eternal Sonata

PS 2 - Final Fantasy XII

PSP - Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

DS - Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Youtube - YouTube - Star Wars Kid: Remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNbLCA4WHCk)

...please watch that last video everybody and give me your reaction? :)!!!

Vivisteiner
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
PSP - FFT or Crisis core. Disgaea and jeanne d'arc could be good as well.

PSX - All the FFs on PSX. FFIX for example.

PS2 (any sort of RPG):FFXII, DQVIII

Craig
08-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Download the Too Human demo, be amazed and then wait for it to come out.

Caraliz
08-05-2008, 02:06 AM
for the pc I've been recently getting into DOS games like sam & max and stuff. DOSbox is free and perfect if you're running vista.

As for the PlayStation 2 I got rogue galaxy and loved it. Definitely play that one.

qwertysaur
08-05-2008, 04:00 AM
PS2 Shin Megima Tensai Persona 3: FES

demondude
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM

This man does not lie.

You should also consider Dragon Quest VIII, its a cool RPG it's hard at the start though.

Laddy
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, DQVIII and Xeongears/saga will suck your life away.

Oh, and Beyond Good and Evil is mindblowingly amazing.

Karellen
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
PS2 Shin Megima Tensai Persona 3: FES Nocturne
Also

demondude
08-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Diablo II is also worth a try with III coming out soon.

Magixion
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
To be honest, I have played almost all the games people have mentioned except for a couple, but this is what my list of games I haven't played so far looks like:

Jeanne D'Arc
Baldur's Gate II
Beyond Good and Evil
DQ VIII(I played the very beginning when I rented it but did not get too far)
The Personas
Rogue Galaxy
Disgaea
Eternal Sonata
FFXII: Revenant Wings
The World Ends With You

demondude
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Then baldurs gate 2 should be your top priority.

Jessweeee♪
08-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Copy and pasted and edited from the other recommendations thread!

I'm going to talk about games that I like and exclude any Final Fantasy titles from the lists because you're probably thinking of those being a member of a Final Fantasy fansite and all :p

So for the DS:

The World Ends With You (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Ends_With_You)

I LOVE the soundtrack, and I absolutely love all of the characters. The gameplay is fantastic and I've never seen anything like it. It's the most unique RPG ever. I have only two complaints:

1. Getting the secret reports after finishing the game is nearly impossible! I still haven't done it. IT'S HARD ;_;

2. I cringe whenever Beat says his line that goes something like "Yo, that was TIGHT." Everything else he says is bearable.

Ace Attorney series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney)

My favorite DS series ever ever EVER. It's currently my number one obsession.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Dusk) and Trace Memory/Another Code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_memory)

These and the Ace Attorney series don't have that high of a replay value, being visual novel-types but they are some of the best games the DS has seen.

Final Fantasy III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_III_DS)

Yeah, I know what I said, but this is a really good game to carry around with you on the go! A nice little (big) RPG in your pocket.

PS/PS2:

Mobile Light Force 2 (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/480/480617.html)

Very cheap. You can probably find it for like, five bucks somewhere.They KILLED IT during the translation, taking out the ENTIRE PLOT and much more. Also the cover is misleading and has nothing to do with the game. At all. It's still pretty fun, though, and I never played the original so I don't know what I'm missing. It's not an RPG, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Phantasy Star Universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Universe)

Good soundtrack, and I love the variety of neat-o weapons. I have never played it online, though, so I can't comment on that.

Threads of Fate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads_of_Fate) (not released outside Japan or North America)

This is my favorite Square game ever. My favorite game ever. My first RPG, too. It's extremely hard to find, though, seeing as it's a PS1 game that was overshadowed by Square's more popular games. It has a wonderful soundtrack, two slightly different stories, and two playable characters. My only complaint is that it's short, and the implied sequel was never made.

EDIT:

I forgot about Portal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game))! Even if you don't like shooters, Portal is an excellent game because it isn't really a shooter. More of a puzzle game. Plus if you don't play it people will be talking about all the kewl things GLaDOS says and you'll feel left out.

Laddy
08-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Yeah, any game that lets you fall in love with a cube needs to be owned.

BG-57
09-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I've started DQVIII and found it nifty, although I've spent more time playing Dark Cloud 2. That is a seriously fun game, combining the best aspects of Zelda, the Mana series, and RPG Maker.

Carl the Llama
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
World of Warcraft is cheaper then FFXI and doesnt require you to hunt for a party, and with the new expantion just around the corner its an ideal time to pick it up and start leveling, if you decide to do this let me know and I can help you out.

as for old school RPG's Lunar the Silver Star Complete is a great game but doesnt come cheap (think my copy cost about £45-60) its on the playstation and wont play on a PAL PS so if you live in the EU (like me) then you will have to play it on an emulator.

ShunNakamura
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I second/Third/whatever Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP.

For the PC, I don't know if you have ever played it but Princess Maker 2 is an addictive game that is free to download online in the English language(though a couple of the, 500+ possible ending combinations, aren't fully complete in English). Takes about 2-4 hours to complete a full run through the game... so it isn't long either. One big issue is you pretty much must run it in DOSBox if you want it to work properly. A bit of an Old game(1993) but a real good one despite that and its faults.

Download Link (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=843)

Other PSX game that you have probably played, but is still pretty good is Vanguard Bandits. It is a humorous SRPG. Girl wins Ancient super powerful giant Mecha in a chess match when she had only played one game before :D. Not to mention the person she beat was the international chess champ(which is why he was willing to bet his mecha... really what are the chances... she doesn't even know the name of the pieces... and she forgot how the 'horse-thing' moved during her first match).

Just some quotes

Milea "No, Bastion! I won it from him, fair and square!"

Bastion "You WON this ATAC from Alden?! Now I'm more confused than ever!"

Milea "Because it was my fault that the Ultragunner was stolen, I wanted to find a substitute for you. And I realized that Alden's ATAC was a perfect choice. The Altagrave is one of the excavated ATACs! After I recuperated from my injuries, I asked Alden what it would take for him to let me borrow his ATAC. He laughed at first, but eventually realized that I was serious, and so he made me an offer. Alden said that if I could defeat him at chess, I could use the Altagrave for a period of one week."

Bastion "Chess?! You've never played that game in your life, Milea!"

Milea "That's true, but he explained the rules very patiently to me, and it didn't take me long to catch on."

Reyna "So what you're saying is that..."

Milea "I beat him in our second game. It should've been the first game, but I forgot how to move the horsies."

Andrew "You mean the knights."

Bastion "Please don't be offended by this question, Milea, but is Lord Alden really that awful at chess?"

Andrew "Not at all, buddy. He's considered the best player on the Continent by many. The gods know I've watched Dionne lose to Alden more than a few times."

Bastion "You're serious."

Andrew "About as serious as I am physically capable of. He's undefeated at chess. At least, he WAS."

Bastion(Incredulous) "So what you're telling me is that Milea is a chessmaster?! Did you have any idea of Alden's skill level, Milea?"

Milea "Not really, Bastion, although he DID seem a little surprised when I won."

Puck "I always told you Milea was smart, Bastion! NOW do you believe me?!"

Milea "I don't know if I'd say that, Puck. After all, it was only a game."

Reyna "You don't understand, Milea! Alden has been playing chess since he was a child and yet you defeated him!"

Milea "In any case, once I won the use of the ATAC, I left the castle and headed for Avalon to find you Bastion."

Bastion "Yes, I've been wondering about that. How did you learn to drive an ATAC?! Not that I'm jealous. Uh, not at all. Merely curious."

Milea "Well, I had to learn how to control the ATAC to bring it to you, Bastion! Alden and Melior taught me."

Bastion "Who ARE you?! Do you know how long it took me to move an ATAC without smashing into every tree within a mile's radius?"

Milea "Oh, Bastion, you were just a child when Kamorge started teaching you. Of course it took you a while!"

Bastion "I appreciate your words, Milea, but I'm not drawing comfort from them."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reyna "You see Bastion? not only is Milea in fine health, but her tumble off the cliff has turned her into a genius!"

Ione (While feeling up the Imperial soldier): "Hrmph. It's a little smaller than average, but here it is: the key to Galvas's cell.

Breine
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) and Rogue Galaxy. Both for the PS2.