PDA

View Full Version : *Hissssssssssssssssssssssssss*

Værn
08-05-2008, 02:29 AM
I caught a snake at a friend's graduation party a few months back, and kept it as a pet.
Sooooo... until last night, I had a pet snake.
You're probably thinking right now, "What do you mean, you had a pet snake until last night? Did it die?" The answer is: No, it didn't die. But now I have 13 pet snakes.

Apparently I caught a pregnant snake, and she had 18 baby snakes while I was sleeping last night (6 of which died before I woke up). Now I can't help but ask... what should I feed them? I fed the big snake earthworms, but the ones I've been catching are actually bigger than the baby snakes. I don't think they'd be able to eat them... maybe I could cut them up?

Also, have you ever accidentally ended up with more "pets" than you expected? :D

Zeldy
08-05-2008, 02:32 AM
I had a pet snake once too, well, it was half snake/half worm xD

I don't remember much about it, but I remember losing it when we moved house as it used to live outside. I think. I really don't know, it must have though.

Don't they eat crickets and locusts and that? I'm sure you can get them from the pet shop.

Marshall Banana
08-05-2008, 02:33 AM
I would love for ninety-nine dalmatian puppies to run in my front door. =O

Yar
08-05-2008, 02:40 AM
I thought snakes lay eggs. :confused:

Meh, Ohio's snakes are pussies anyway. Them and their "non-poisonous" being. :rolleyes2

Akaria
08-05-2008, 02:45 AM
This made me burst out laughing for some reason. Good job managing to catch a preggers snake, that's just impressive! I think they eat eggs and mice and stuff, don't they? Pretty sure Zeldy's right too, with crickets and stuff...Bugs in general, probably...I've heard alive stuff.

My family and I got my dog, Chi Chi, when I was really young, like 3 or 4 years old. She got a crapload of signs of doggy pregnancy like a day before she was supposed to go in to get fixed. She had a few puppies and my family gave them away...I wanted to keep them all:(

rubah
08-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I thought snakes laid eggs x.x; wow.

our rabbits had babies a long time ago (when we had rabbits), and my sister's cat had kittens, and my brother's dog had a puppy, but that's about it!

Go outside and catch some grasshoppers, crickets, any kind of bugs. See if the mother feeds them :O

Værn
08-05-2008, 03:27 AM
"Unlike most snakes, Garter snakes do not lay eggs, they give live birth like mammals. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Garter_Snake#Reproduction)"

Well, they aren't eating worms... crickets are too hard to catch, I don't want to have to go out and find 12 of them in the swarm of mosquitoes... and if there were any mice around the house, I'd've probably already caught it myself to keep as a pet...

Vikeve
08-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Hah no unexpected pets but I did have a pet snake named mr. scaleys but he died.:cry:

Tell me how your situation goes and I thought you could buy crickets. So are you really planning on keeping all of those snakes?:)

Værn
08-05-2008, 04:01 AM
They aren't going for crickets...
And yes. I need to keep them at least until Halloween =D

Ki Ki
08-05-2008, 04:15 AM
I think your best bet would be to cut up the worms for the babies.
It says online that they eat small fish too but "In captivity it's best to feed little or no fish to garter snakes because too much in their diet can result in thiamin deficiencies".
So yeah you're on the right track. :chef:

And, EW SNAKES! D:

We kept a little sparrow in our house for awhile since it injured it's wing and couldn't fly.

Værn
08-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Tried cutting them up already... maybe just not small enough.
My dad insists that "Maybe they just aren't hungry." Perhaps I should just leave them alone for a while and hope they're still alive in the morning? =o

Big D
08-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Try catching a cupful of ants, slaters or something like that. They're small, usually found in swarms, and harmless to humans.

rubah
08-05-2008, 07:20 AM
mosquitos would probably go down nicely!

actually, no, here's a site
Raising Baby Garter Snakes: Some Personal Observations - gartersnake.info (http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/000781_raising_baby_garter_.phtml)

.:kerrod:.
08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
i once bought two 'girl' mice, and a few weeks later had many more little ones :p it was very awesome, the mother did all that was needed to be done, and i just kept her healthy, it was awesome when they were still really, really tiny, but furry and their eyes were still closed :bigsmile:

however, in relation to this topic :tongue:, 4 of them (the girls, i had to separate genders) got killed by a snake (but it only ate one of them...the fattest one) and it was stuck in the cage cos it was too fat to get out :lol: i wanted to keep it as a pet, but dad took it to the edge of town and released it :mad:

Jessweeee♪
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I have!

Blue Harvest
08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
We get our pets fixed, so no (un)wanted babies here :(

Calliope
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Feed it a garter-mongoose!

Or ring your vet and ask them? I'm tempted to say to give them milk.

Rantz
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
If the snake gave birth like a mammal, maybe it has little snake titties too.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I fell over on a hill. When I looked round, there was an adder staring angrily at my face. I assume it was angry, that is, I'm not really sure. Needless to say that's probably the quickest I've ever stood up.

Oh right, wrong topic. Aww Vaern, you've somehow managed to make chopping up earthworms adorable. xD

Nominus Experse
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
The pets I have always end up becoming quite dead rather than pregnant...

Værn
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Finally got a few of them to start eating. Now I just need to get a large model plane.
And I also need to see if my friend has a Mace Windu action figure in his Star Wars collection that I could borrow.

Yar
08-11-2008, 11:53 PM
i once bought two 'girl' mice, and a few weeks later had many more little ones :p it was very awesome, the mother did all that was needed to be done, and i just kept her healthy, it was awesome when they were still really, really tiny, but furry and their eyes were still closed :bigsmile:

Was it possibly pregnant before you bought it? My brother got a hamster that was preggers without knowing it. Luckily she ate all the babies. :eek:

Tidus_the_Almighty
08-12-2008, 01:05 AM
We eat the offspring of our animals.

Shlup
08-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm going to guess they aren't hungry. I tried looking around Google and it basically said you're trying to give them the right stuff, so if they aren't taking it they probably just don't want it. But I would call your vet and check.

And post pics!

~*~Celes~*~
08-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Btw, the wikipedia article you gave us said that crickets are bad for them, as their exoskeletons are sharp, so make sure NOT to feed them crickets =[

I had a goldfish once that was rather fat...I think it was pregnant but it died before I could find out =[

Værn
08-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Btw, the wikipedia article you gave us said that crickets are bad for them, as their exoskeletons are sharp, so make sure NOT to feed them crickets =[

I had a goldfish once that was rather fat...I think it was pregnant but it died before I could find out =[

The big one seemed nice and fleshy enough after I broke its legs off... Meh, oh well. They were afraid of the crickets anyways.
Afraid of crickets... they really need to get some backbone. My parakeet gets kicks out of flying around the room, just above the height that my cats are able to jump, just to taunt them... Honestly, out of all of my pets, why do the snakes need to be the most spineless?

Yar
08-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Meh, Ohio's snakes are pussies anyway. Them and their "non-poisonous" being. :rolleyes2

rubah
08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
'cause they're garter snakes dude. Non-aggressive. It'd be like if you got a dirt daubber and tried to train it to sting people.

grasshoppers are fearsome.

1) they can get pretty big
2) their death throes are very thrashy. when catching and killing bugs in biology, we were instructed to catch grasshoppers separately because they would tear up things like moths and butterflies by thrashing around as they died. It's really kinda scary.

Værn
08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
The puns, the puns! Nobody's saying anything about the cheesy puns! That was the entire point of the post! Snakes! Backbone! Spineless! Their entire skeleton consists of a skull and a spine! LAUGH, DANG IT!!! D=

Anyways, trying to resize and crop pictures without making them crappy... and done!
I use paper towels to cover the bottom of the big snake's cage because it's nice and easy to clean, but the baby snakes kept getting underneath the towels. So, I cleaned my brother's fish tank (or tried to anyways, there's still a bunch of dust on the inside wall) for the babies. They don't seem to be capable of digging through the tiny stones, and thus my evil plan is a success >=)

Big D
08-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Those are adorable xD

Have they been eating anything since coming into the world?

Værn
08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Those are adorable xD

Have they been eating anything since coming into the world?
Yeah, a few of them went for those cut up worms... unfortunately, the only other thing that I have to keep them in is a shoe box (which I don't want to keep them in for too long), so I can't separate the ones that have eaten from the one that haven't started eating yet.
I've either fed eight, or I accidentally fed the same four twice (once yesterday and once today).

Big D
08-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Could you try sprinkling little bits of tinned cat food in their container? Tiny pieces of jellied meat like that might be palatable to them, and there are no sharp pointy bits to get in the way.

~*~Celes~*~
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
THEY ARE SO CUTE OMG! :D

rubah
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Intellectually I know 'okay this is a picture of baby snakes in a terranium many miles away' but still I kinda freaked out when I looked at them ;.;