PDA

View Full Version : If I import a console from mainland Europe will it work in the UK?

ReloadPsi
08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Having discovered what the prices in Euros are like for many of the current consoles, I've deduced that if for any reason I ever want one of them I should import from mainland Europe, mainly because there's usually a good exchange rate between Euro and GBP (unless I missed something about the UK prices). Prices tend to vary everywhere naturally, but this is in case I discover that the best deal is not in England. Right now there's literally one game I want for each console (360 may get Guilty Gear 2, PS3 has MGS4 and the Wii has Brawl, and I will not buy a console for one game) so I won't be bothering just yet.

Basically, if I import a machine from Germany, will the machine work on the UK's power grid? I'm no good at understanding stuff relating to electrical appliances and wouldn't know what information to look up or how to understand it, but I'm just being cautious because of memories of back in the day when people were importing N64s only to have them blow up because they were hooking them up to a 240V mains when the Japanese machine could only handle 120V.

The other issue is whether I'll be able to set the language back into English; although I can understand French and German I noticed that setting some consoles into another language causes the game to automatically switch languages too (FF3 DS for instance), and I don't particularly wanna play every single game in German.

I know that the machines are PAL so they'd work on my TV without any trouble.

And does this thread belong in tech support?

JKTrix
08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Guilty Gear 2 (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/107647-guilty-gear-2-goin-3d-360-its-different.html)? Really? Potential quality of the game aside, I'm fascinated that it's your 'one game' for the 360.

I think Croyles is from Germany, he should be able to give you info on power grids and whatnot. But as far as I know, all of the PAL systems are the same, so I would assume the voltages would be identical. If not, there are voltage converters you can use. I had to use one when I went to Australia earlier this year.

Languages: I know for sure that the 360 lets you choose what language you want, and I'm 90% certain the PS3 does as well. Not too sure about the Wii, but it is more important for the software to be in the right language.

Balzac
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
It should work fine, the only thing you will have to change in the power lead from the powerpack to the mains socket. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure over in europe they use the same voltage as the UK.

Dreddz
08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, it'll work.

Croyles
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Yep it will work for the PS3. I think the power grid is slightly different but not enough to be of any concern what so ever. All you need is a plug converter.
It lets you choose your language, this counts for the PSN too.

Will work with 360 and Wii as well, just not sure what their online networks are like.