PDA

View Full Version : The way people run in FPS's is weird.

KentaRawr!
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Whenever I see an FPS going, I really wonder how they can bear running like that. With a pistol of sorts, or any other one-handed object, it's always being held very still, with some rumblings here and there for effect. If it's a Mouse and Keyboard FPS, chances are the character also has their head perfectly synchronized with their arm. And, when the character runs, it seems as though the left arm is no-where to be seen, and the gun is still perfectly static. Now, I could imagine this being the case if they were walking pretty slowly, but that doesn't excuse running full speed with your arms being perfectly still. Also, more specifically, in Metroid Prime Samus appears to be keeping the tip of her Cannon in the same area, while her lower arm wiggles about. Why? D:<

What do you think of the First Person View?

Roto13
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I think the best graphics in the world in an FPS can't make it look good as long as everyone looks likely they're floating all over the place.

Slothy
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Call of Duty 4 did a pretty great job of convincing you that you're actually moving like a normal human. You actually lower your gun to run and the rest of the time you're either walking or crouching with both arms holding it steady. If you move while prone you also move your gun and both arms as you crawl along the ground.

All that said, I don't generally care, and rarely notice since I got used to FPS games being that way a long time ago. At least they've improved since Wolfentstein 3D.

ReloadPsi
08-10-2008, 10:58 PM
It's amusing to take the piss out of it :)

Have you ever tried walking around holding a gun at arm's length and slowly waving it from side to side? Okay, neither have I, but it'd look very funny.

It was funny in FarCry when you'd only see the character's hands while swimming if you were actually holding a weapon at all; no weapon equals no visible arms. Crazy...

Big D
08-11-2008, 01:52 AM
I agree, especially in relation to PC fps, and online games.
Sometimes, though, a game favours realism over endless headshots: Killzone's a good example, where the guns lurch all over the place, and running has a big impact on accuracy. If you're on the run and trying to return fire, there's very little chance of hitting home with more than one or two rounds. Not because of console controls, but because running has a realistic effect on accuracy.

ShunNakamura
08-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Well I am a bit odd. In anything other than a full sprint/very fast running speed I keep my right arm still. Sure it vibrates a bit, but I naturally keep it still. Always have for as long back as I can remember. People keep asking me if I have hurt it since it looks odd.

But yeah, in a fast jog my right arm doesn't go up and down it stays still. If a gun were in my hand it would be pointing to the lower left at all times(more or less).

Hmm.. if it weren't for the fact that I don't really like FPS games and don't play'em much I could have blamed video games for me being weird. Drat, I missed my chance.

Anyways I prefer 3rd person shooters to first person... usually. Some 3rd Person point of views really suck.

Captain Maxx Power
08-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Well if you want to get technical then taking a single bullet in any FPS should immediately either kill you or at the very least severely reduce your capacity to fight. Unless it's a glancing blow most embedded bullets, especially those around the joints, head or torso, are instantly debilitating.

Rostum
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Mirror's Edge looks fairly amazing in the movment of the FPS camera.

Psychotic
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
When I play FPSes I don't run so much as hop around like a kangaroo on acid.

blackmage_nuke
08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Maybe it's part of thier training.

Anyway for some reason the more realistic a first person shooter is the more it gives me headaches and gives me abit of nausea.

Roto13
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM

I wouldn't really call Mirror's Edge an FPS, since the S part is completely optional.

Jessweeee♪
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Jumping is weird.

Rostum
08-13-2008, 12:33 AM

I wouldn't really call Mirror's Edge an FPS, since the S part is completely optional.

I was more talking about the camera view, not the guns. No need to nit-pick.