PDA

View Full Version : EoFF I CALL FOR YOU IN MY TIME OF NEED

Avarice-ness
08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I was going to say "A most loved pregnant lady would like to implore you" but.. damn it's just to hard to type all that in that way.

So, I have a self-diagnosed sinus infection, even if it's not one, I'm still clogged up and sick and well, I can't take any meddies because of pregnancy.

How do you guys help yourself get over colds or sinus problems? Do you just get a lot of sleep? Do you have a special reciepe of foods, maybe you just eat certain things?
Give me spicey reciepe's too, the spices may just open me up for a short amount of time but it's usually long enough to where I can breathe through my nose fully (Only one SIDE of my head is clogged).

Also, some kind of tips on how to get rid of a sinus pressure headache or atleast how to ease one.

Who ever relieves my headache and sinus stuffy-ness for the longest amount of time wins a gold star! Sure, it's not much, but come on, do it for the adorable unborn baby, I'm sure she'd like her mommy feeling a bit better!

Slothy
08-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Dristan. Unless nasal spray is no good for some reason with the baby and all. I can't see why it'd be a problem, but then I'm not a doctor.

Jessweeee♪
08-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Peppermint Altoids! Trust me :</>D!

I hear ice on the back of your neck is good for headaches.

Aerith's Knight
08-08-2008, 12:24 AM
How do you guys help yourself get over colds or sinus problems?

I don't, I just keep working, studying, living.

Do you just get a lot of sleep?

If I can.

Do you have a special reciepe of foods, maybe you just eat certain things?

Egg rolls with lot's of chili sauce(the chinese kind with the peppers)

Give me spicey reciepe's too, the spices may just open me up for a short amount of time but it's usually long enough to where I can breathe through my nose fully (Only one SIDE of my head is clogged).

If you lay on your side, you can breathe through one nostrel.

Deborah
08-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I swear I have sinus problems every other week, but these help me Peppermint tea, hot steamy showers, hot soup, drinking LOTS of water, Vick's vapor rub at night, a humidifier would be great (I never thought to get one :p), and of course lots of rest! Heat pack or wet hot wash cloth on my head over my sinuses help sometimes too! Yeah but pretty much just heating everything up and keeping it hydrated.:D

Zeldy
08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I get headaches like everyday, I go through an insane amount of paracetamol. A good night sleep and paracetamol get me through headaches~

When I'm sick I usually just deal with it, I can never be bothered taking medicine as I always think it'll just go in a few days or it's not that bad. I've had a cold for weeks now. When I'm really really sick though I crave chopped up egg in a cup, boiled water, the big settee, my duvet and the tele to myself. :3

Big D
08-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Hydration is crucial. Plenty of water.
To clear congested sinuses, try a strong, menthol nasal spray - in my region, Otrivin with menthol is the best. It stings at first, but it helps.

Keep your nose clear, don't be tempted to sniff all that mucus back up higher into your head. Blow it all out.

If the pain and symptoms persist, see a doctor very quickly. Sinus infections can spread into your mouth and ears relatively easily, so don't take chances if you think you're getting worse.

escobert
08-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Marijuana cures all!

scrumpleberry
08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Water water water and rest honey. Fresh air. Do you wear glasses all the time? If not, try not using them for a good few hours.

Fonzie
08-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Marijuana cures all!

Yes, that'll be good for the child!

Avarice-ness
08-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Water water water and rest honey. Fresh air. Do you wear glasses all the time? If not, try not using them for a good few hours.

Yeah I've been freaking drinking water obsessively. I just can't seem to get it broken up, luckly I'm not swelling up though! Yay water! And yeah I'm glasses bound, I've been taking lots of naps and stuff so I take my glasses off then.

I'm to sleepy to reply to everyone but Big D~:
Yeah since I've got military medical junk if this doesn't get better I can get a same day appointment in so I will totally go to a doctor if this gets any worse because.. oh god I can't imagine how crappy it'd be to be in labor AND be sick.

rubah
08-08-2008, 01:48 AM
I relieve sinus pressure by blowing out through my eyes. It doesn't help very long but it's kinda fun.

just sleep so it doesn't bother you while you heal.

Big D
08-08-2008, 02:07 AM
I relieve sinus pressure by blowing out through my eyes. It doesn't help very long but it's kinda fun.Not a great idea if you've got infected sinuses though - it packs the snot even tighter into your sinuses, and anything that risks the infection getting into your eyes is bad from the outset. I've got military medical junk if this doesn't get better I can get a same day appointmentNeat:D Anything that'll help you recover faster, and reduce the strain on your immune system is good.

Momiji
08-08-2008, 02:12 AM
I heard that horseradish or wasabi is good for clearing one's sinuses. However, I find both disgusting and I'd rather have the sinus pressure and such than actually test this.

If this is an infection though, you probably will need antibiotics. I'm not sure if you can take them if you're pregnant though... :\

rubah
08-08-2008, 02:17 AM
I relieve sinus pressure by blowing out through my eyes. It doesn't help very long but it's kinda fun.Not a great idea if you've got infected sinuses though - it packs the snot even tighter into your sinuses, and anything that risks the infection getting into your eyes is bad from the outset.

how does it pack it in if it comes out?

but yeah, my mom is always 'OMG UR GONNA INFECT YOUR EYES" but I haven't yet!

Avarice-ness
08-08-2008, 02:29 AM
I heard that horseradish or wasabi is good for clearing one's sinuses. However, I find both disgusting and I'd rather have the sinus pressure and such than actually test this.

If this is an infection though, you probably will need antibiotics. I'm not sure if you can take them if you're pregnant though... :\

Yeah that's the problem. Like.. as weird as it sounds. Most medications are safer to take in mid pregnancy than early on and in late pregnancy. Basically with medication they'll look at it like this: If it something the mother needs and is beneficial to the mom and won't really effect the baby then it's okay. But then somethings they'll even just look at it as: If the mom needs it, then they'll treat the mom over the baby which I don't agree with because well.. if it was me or the baby, I'd pick the baby.

The baby could come at any time though so.. yeah I don't really want medications at all, with my luck some antibiotic would trigger labor.. I mean hell, I ended up being allergic to a pregnancy bar that was meant for pregnant ladies. ; ;

blackmage_nuke
08-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Very hot Tea with honey. Inhale the steam through the nose and mouth, drink slowly.

That might just be a placebo though.

Cleric
08-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Green tea with some local honey if available, none of that cheap store bought crap. Lol.

Evastio
08-08-2008, 03:08 AM
For colds vitamin C tablets, honey lemon throat lozenges, and enough rest usually work.

I can't really help you out with anything else though. Well, I guess rest could help out with the headaches although headaches aren't usually much of a problem for me so I wouldn't know.

Momiji
08-08-2008, 03:18 AM

Yeah that's the problem. Like.. as weird as it sounds. Most medications are safer to take in mid pregnancy than early on and in late pregnancy. Basically with medication they'll look at it like this: If it something the mother needs and is beneficial to the mom and won't really effect the baby then it's okay. But then somethings they'll even just look at it as: If the mom needs it, then they'll treat the mom over the baby which I don't agree with because well.. if it was me or the baby, I'd pick the baby.

The baby could come at any time though so.. yeah I don't really want medications at all, with my luck some antibiotic would trigger labor.. I mean hell, I ended up being allergic to a pregnancy bar that was meant for pregnant ladies. ; ;

Wow, Murphy's Law is a bitch.

Well, if that's the case, just take care of yourself and hopefully the symptoms become tolerable until the baby is born and you can take medicine for it.

Agrias
08-08-2008, 03:37 AM
A humidifier/oxygen tank attached to a gigantic one person bubble.

Magixion
08-08-2008, 04:12 AM
I relieve sinus pressure by blowing out through my eyes. It doesn't help very long but it's kinda fun.

just sleep so it doesn't bother you while you heal.

How the hell do you blow out through your eyes? :Oo:

Also, I usually take a hot shower, make some hot tea with honey, and if possible, set up a humidifier. I know most have already been suggested, but you asked what most of us do, so you get my reply! :p

Big D
08-08-2008, 04:39 AM
It's possible to blow the pressure out through your eyes, but that still leaves all the snot backed up in your face.

Lawr
08-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Well, to help your nose you can try some peppermint stuff or spicy food. Usually a good hit to the face unclogs my nose for a little bit, but I don't know if you'd want to hit yourself--and not that I do.

You can also try some chicken noodle soup. I prefer beef flavored Ramen though.

ultimated
08-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Eat medicine

Værn
08-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Spicy, you say? A drop of this should clear you right up. If it doesn't kill you. (http://www.the-best-hot-sauce.com/site/1512336/product/D44)

One drop.
Heck, maybe not even that much...

Caraliz
08-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Turn on the shower really hot, sit outside it and let the steam do the work for you.

rubah
08-08-2008, 06:33 AM
It's possible to blow the pressure out through your eyes, but that still leaves all the snot backed up in your face.

no, I'm pretty sure that yellow stuff coming up through my tear ducts or whatever is just as phlegmy as what comes out of my mouth and my nose.

Hadn't you ever seen where they set the guinness world record for greatest distance blowing milk through their eyes?

Big D
08-08-2008, 09:06 AM

no, I'm pretty sure that yellow stuff coming up through my tear ducts or whatever is just as phlegmy as what comes out of my mouth and my nose.

Hadn't you ever seen where they set the guinness world record for greatest distance blowing milk through their eyes?I've seen the milk footage, but I didn't imagine anyone would snort infected mucus out through their eyeballs xD That's just asking to get a horribly nasty infection, especially since our eyes have much weaker immune responses compared to the rest of us. If normal, everyday saliva can lead to blindness, then I shudder to imagine what gooey, bacterial snot could do in the wrong place...

Randgris
08-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Five-leaved chaste tree (http://www.stuartxchange.org/Lagundi.html)

.:kerrod:.
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
get somebody to punch you in the nose and watch the snot flow out (of course, there may also be blood, but it's a sacrifice im sure you're willing to make) :bigsmile:

but seriously, im fairly sinus-clogged all the time :p i just deal with it, but when it gets really bad (like yours) all you can do is wait it out, there's no cure for the most common of all diseases...how ironic...anywho, things like humidifiers, etc. can help, as everybody else has suggested, hot beverages, spicy foods and also, you can get this inhalent stuff (similar to the humidifiers' inhalent) and you just boil some water and mix them together in a mug or something and you can drape a towel over your head and the cup and lean over it while inhaling...it can help a lot...
alternatively (instead of the towel), you can get a paper bag and cut off one of the bottom corners and put that upside down over the mug, then put your mouth and nose in the hole to inhale...it can get really strong at times, but that's why it's so good at clearing your sinuses :)

Lawr
08-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Spicy, you say? A drop of this should clear you right up. If it doesn't kill you. (http://www.the-best-hot-sauce.com/site/1512336/product/D44)

One drop.

She won't even need one drop. Just reading the description on the website will scare the bejeezus out of the infection.

Avarice-ness
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM

One drop.

She won't even need one drop. Just reading the description on the website will scare the bejeezus out of the infection.

xD Agree'd. Plus, I think the fact that I'm having a hard time breathing from congestion would mean that yeah... that hot sauce + inability to breathe well = dead ava.

We're here to cure me, not kill my baby and I. XD

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Hot lemon tea-ish juice thing. Basically Lemsip. But you guys don't have Lemsip. Ruddy fools, I say!

I suggest a good hard shag. :jokey: If it doesn't cure you or anything, it will at least make you feel better.

Araciel
08-09-2008, 09:17 PM
anything to do with sinuses and extra mucous = me sleeping in an upright position, so as not to allow nasal drip :S

Also, I eat more and drink more even if I don't feel like it, and sleep and abstain from exercise or strenuous work.

Sex makes you feel better, but who wants to sex a sick person...

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Chandler does. [/fangasm]

rubah
08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Sex makes you feel better, but who wants to sex a sick person...

who wants to sex a 8/9 months pregnant lady?

no one who loves her baby for sure

okay maybe 'wants' is not the word. . . let's say 'would' instead.

Quindiana Jones
08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Ross does/would. [/fangasm]

Iceglow
08-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Snort HOT (as in spicy) curry sauce, it positively drains the nose and sinus of all blockages, it also looks disgusting however and is ill advised in most cases but if you really wanna clear that crap out then go for it. BTW, I do not do this, I am a man I just cope.

Brennan
08-12-2008, 01:24 AM
My mom made me use Crest-o-Mint Mint Oil, and lean my head forward about 45 degrees (with it still in the mouth).

It worked (but don't swallow it :p)

EDIT: It will probably make your nose burn if you do it the right way