PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer ~ is it really a WoW killer?

bipper
08-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Online (http://www.warhammeronline.com/)

Some of you may have heard of this Warhammer game. Many WoW players do not know that Warhammer and Warcraft share a very similar lineage, and it is even firmly stated that Warcraft owes its existance to warhammer.

Either way, these two have always shared a competitive background amongst their fans. Both have fairly robust storylines, however, warhammer focuses more on battles, whereas wow focuses more on the Hero aspect. Both stories share that unorigional "origional" rpg naming system that pisses me right the hell off -- A vowel, then and apostrophe, and some crap you have to twist your tongue in painful ways to say, not intuitive. (IE: A'Quargicimuhaki)

Warhammer, is going to take a more pvpish demeanor, although it really balances PVE content, and while you are playing PVE, you are aiding your allies in the pvp front.

In pvp, you are able to take towers and claim them for your guild. Upon claiming them, they waive your banner and their npc gaurds wear your garb. It is a fun aspect.

If this sounds a bit DAoCish, that is because it is made by the same team. This is basically the second coming of DAoC that so many have wished for, and jumped on the wow-boat when DAoC2 was not going to happen.

The game seems amazing. I have had the opportunity to play it, and it plays VERY much like wow, though it has a darker feel, and it is a bit more clunky than WoW.

Either way, it will be fun to see which attracts whom. I am certain WoW will take a massive hit from the launch of this game on September 18th, but will it actually kill WoW? Absolutely not. Though it has been called the newest WoW-killer.

The big plus side is going to be classes that are actually attempted to be balanced, something WoW has completely failed on. Balance is always mythics top concern, as their mechanics rely heavily on pvp. Personally, I am sick of WoW's slow manner in addressing issues, their ungodly item based set up, their lack of pvp consideration, and their overal clunky development. Those things may push me to Warhammer; though, warhammer has a very clunky play style. So it is like a trade off of development and deployment vs playability and learning curve.

Quick Disclaimer: I like wow better, as of the moment, and this is written to kind of entice conversation on Warhammer. I list a few features of warhammer simply because they are mainly unknowns(lol christmas) to most WoW players.

Karellen
08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
A Teen rated Warhammer game isn't Warhammer.

bipper
08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
A Teen rated Warhammer game isn't Warhammer.

I can totally agree with this. Half the luster of the warhammer series is the fact that it was... well, warlike. The hells and insignificance of one person was half of what I found enticing. Wow on the other hand is stuck in the romantic child like mentality of heroes and romance.

Roogle
08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I doubt that Warhammer Online has the momentum to knock out World of Warcraft as the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Vyk
08-09-2008, 12:09 AM
If its not as expensive as WoW per month I might look into it. Fifteen a month is too much for me

Araciel
08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
WoW is to monolithically evil to be destroyed or swept by the wayside by one game.

Captain Maxx Power
08-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Quick Disclaimer: I like wow better, as of the moment, and this is written to kind of entice conversation on Warhammer.

Liar. Just admit you don't lie WoW; every post you're making suggests so. Go ahead, I won't bite. :cool:

Shlup
08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
When WoW came out, all of me and my husband's friends went to the midnight release to get their copy. We didn't have anyone to really hang out with for weeks.

Every single one of them is currently playing the Warhammer beta with me and my husband. :o

escobert
08-09-2008, 11:04 PM
all I care about for future MMOs is GW2 :p

Madame Adequate
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I doubt that Warhammer Online has the momentum to knock out World of Warcraft as the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Agreed. Warhammer has to do more than just be better than WoW.

bipper
08-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Quick Disclaimer: I like wow better, as of the moment, and this is written to kind of entice conversation on Warhammer.

Liar. Just admit you don't lie WoW; every post you're making suggests so. Go ahead, I won't bite. :cool:

I love WoW; it is clean and simple. I hate blizzard, they made something great and seem to be playing a cathedral against the bazaar; and winning.

Markus. D
08-25-2008, 05:51 AM
all I care about for future MMOs is GW2 :p

Project G
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Warhammer ~ is it really a WoW killer?

Lets hope so! You've seen that South Park episode where they play WoW right?

YOU WILL TURN INTO THAT GUY!!!!!

I despise WoW and everything that it stands for lol[!] google_ad_section_end [/!]

Markus. D
09-09-2008, 11:29 AM
It's a system similar to WoW when it comes down to the actual battle/skill systems.

However! RvR is apparently done very well.

I won't be trying it until it has settled the whole Hybrid Imablances between classes.

and apparently it's done the whole geographical splendour (Ala L2) with it's world, big +