PDA

View Full Version : How "General" Is "General Chat"?

Yar
08-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Because of course it's general. But do you think it's general enough? Maybe General Chat is too general for you?

Sometimes I fear one post can make a thread too random to "be a topic" (as if that really matters), and other times one false move makes the thread "srs bsns," and then we're dealing with EoEO material, and that's just wrong. :(

How general do you generally feel General chat generally is?

Bonus points for using the word "general," along with any variants such as "generally," "generalize," "generalmente" or "Surgeon General."

Tidus_the_Almighty
08-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry, I'm generally not seeing the general purpose of this. However, I'm not the General of this thread, so my post will be generalized with the others as being general peons.

Roto13
08-10-2008, 01:30 AM
I think General Chat is pretty general, though not as general as it generally would be without EoEO, The Lounge, et al.

Vermachtnis
08-10-2008, 02:03 AM
General Chat is the very model of a major general. It has information animal, vegital, and mineral.

Bahamut2000X
08-10-2008, 02:18 AM
On the first page of GC I see threads about Barack-Rolling, Crimes, Captain Maxx apparently being a sentai soldier, and the questioning of BoB's existence. I don't see how you can get any more General then that.

Hell I think somewhere amid that chaos there's some Surgeon General's warnings, that generalize about the general problems facing a general chat forum. But the generalness of the general chat is still generally questioned.

blackmage_nuke
08-10-2008, 03:26 AM
I think general chat isnt genital General enough.

Peegee
08-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Agreed. Most general chat threads can go in the newbie forum or the eyes on each other general seriousness forum.

GC should be more general, like 'what is your asl?' or 'asl?'

Ramza Beoulve
08-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Generalmente encuentro General Chat demasiado "general" [/spanish inquisition]

Generally, I would generalize the general conception of the generalness of general chat, but I don't think it cannot be general, unless you do the generalization that generalists give to the Surgeon General that are our admins about the general ideas of the users. General chat is general.

I win? :D

Rantz
08-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I think it's okay.

Uh, generally.

Heath
08-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I tend to see General Chat as the forum where if I want to post a thread and it doesn't fit into any of the other forums, I'll post it here. Along with things like birthday and newbies threads. So in that respect I'd say it's pretty general but like Roto said, not as general as it would be without forums like The Lounge and EoEO.

Dolentrean
08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
This forum is an area open to many different types of discussion. Though oft times it that threads are closed, or moved to a new area. Sure some things are better suited for EoEO, and most of the time the movement of one thread to another forum is best suited. But, with this in mind, we should ask ourselves: what about having a light discussion about an otherwise serious manner?

Now to address threads that "don't have topics" Sometimes I think it is taken to far, a thread were there is CLEARLY no topic should be closed. But sometimes it seems as though the statement that is made in the opening post is clearly open for discussion and therefore creates a topic for the thread. It seems to me sometimes a thread is closed simply for not asking or instructing its readers. For example the "I am very mad" thread that was closed recently. Because it didn't ask others what made them mad it was closed, though I thought that the idea of the thread was clearly made out to be discussing things that make us angry...

All that said, my opinion of the matter to be summed up in the briefest and most simple way possible, all of this is trivial and I think that this particular sub forum works just fine, not overflowing with spam due to the regulations, yet still offering very few restrictions on free discussion.

All in all I think that sums up my thoughts relatively well...

Bonus points for using the word "general," along with any variants such as "generally," "generalize," "generalmente" or "Surgeon General."

Wait... Did I just smurf that up?

Madame Adequate
08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
It basically depends on what kind of mood our all-powerful Last Boss of the Internet mods and admins are in.

black orb
08-15-2008, 05:16 AM
>>> spam forum..:)

CloudDragon
08-15-2008, 08:12 AM
General Chat has lost its former glory. With topics being too closely monitored and a lot of the "fun" being taken out of topics, General Chat has become too boring.

Even EoEo is too heavily monitored. If you want good discussion you have to let things run a little more smoothly with a little more hands off.

Fonzie
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
General Chat has lost its former glory. With topics being too closely monitored and a lot of the "fun" being taken out of topics, General Chat has become too boring.

Even EoEo is too heavily monitored. If you want good discussion you have to let things run a little more smoothly with a little more hands off.

General Chat has changed for the worse over the span of these last years sadly.

Shlup
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I think General Chat is generally general enough to be appealing to the general audience, though I hate to generalize since I know people generally dislike being put into a general category.

But whatev.

Christmas
05-13-2023, 03:59 AM

Back when people care. :(

theundeadhero
05-14-2023, 02:50 AM
If you want I can ask to be a CK again and close exactly 1/3 of the threads you post in. They'll probably tell me no, but it may make you get that caring feeling again.

Christmas
05-14-2023, 03:56 AM
I rmb u are supposed to be an admin and install some snowy effects around here. I still rmb, u fake prophet. :mymelbert:

theundeadhero
05-14-2023, 04:24 AM
I gave them everything they needed to make it happen. I posted in the thread just before Christmas to remind them. I can't do any more than that.

Christmas
05-14-2023, 09:05 AM
Once again, BoB failed us all.