PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Hearts: From The New World

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey I just bought Shadow Hearts: From The New World and I was wondering if I should buy the original Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant too?

I'm considering purchasing Shadow Hearts II because I heard it's better than From The New World but I also heard Covenant is a direct sequel to the original Shadow Hearts so I need the original if I wanna understand the plot in Shadow Hearts 2.

Vermachtnis
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Yea Shadow Hearts: Convenant is better than From the New World. From the New World isn't a bad game though, it's just not as good as Covenant. Also a word of warning, don't play Covenant first. Trust me I did and there's a big spoiler that kind of saps the enjoyment of the first Shadow Hearts.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I know Covenant is a direct sequel that's why I'm asking if I should buy Shadow Hearts 1 & 2? I mean I know Shadow Hearts II is good but what about the original Shadow Hearts is that game any good?

Vermachtnis
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Yea the first Shadow Hearts is good. It's also a bit more serious than the other two, though.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Yea the first Shadow Hearts is good. It's also a bit more serious than the other two, though.

That's okay I like serious I hate it when anime inspired video games have goofy what the fuck moments. Do you remember that moment in Final Fantasy X when Yuna told Tidus to laugh out loud and he sounded like a retard?

Roogle
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Shadow Hearts was a much more serious game than Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Shadow Hearts: From The New World.

Shadow Hearts is my favorite game in the series because it was a dark, mysterious adventure rather than a quirky adventure with comedic moments.

LunarWeaver
08-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I loved all three, although Covenant is my favorite. The first was good and all, but Covenant was flat-out more fun to play. The look of it surely got an update. I liked the mix of humor and sad moments too.

I enjoyed From the New World. I figured I would hate it because again and again I was told it was awful, and I found it to be better than the first as well (time to get flamed!). It had pretty out there characters sure, but is that not better than the usual J-RPG bullcrap? It also had a plot development I didn't see coming, something else that barely ever happens from a J-RPG.

And Johnny was so cute. Of course, he does look exactly like a girl. Maybe it wasn't so original from other J-RPGs after all :bigsmile: If he and Vaan had sex I think it would count as a lesbian affair.

Dragonsoul
08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't forget about Koudelka(Shadow Hearts 0). Also the team changed their name to FeelPlus, and became a Mistwalker team, and made Lost Odyssey. :)

Sarc the Swordsman
08-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Shadow Hearts 1+2 are much, much better than the sorry excuse that is Shadow Hearts 3. It was an alright game, but it lacked...the charm and humour of the previous too games.

They're pretty in depth and serious too, with great replayability too.

Bobby Corwen
08-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Yes, Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a direct sequel to Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts: From the new World is a bit related to Covenant, but not much, I would say it more about references than anything else.

In my opinion, both first games are just a wonderful wonderful experience, with Covenant being more polished than Shadow Hearts. But From the New World is a waste of money and time; I hated it.

The good thing of playing them in order is that you will get a better grasp of the three stories and you will get the references.
The bad thing of playing them in order is that, after playing I & II, III possibly won't compare favorably in the least.
But, it's a matter of opinion, of course; you may end up loving From the New World no matter what.

And then, if you like them, you can start hunting for Koudelka which is the very first game that starts it all, but I warn you: if I & II end up being hard/expensive to get, Koudelka will be much harder.

Coma
08-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a direct sequel to Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts: From the new World is a bit related to Covenant, but not much, I would say it more about references than anything else.

In my opinion, both first games are just a wonderful wonderful experience, with Covenant being more polished than Shadow Hearts. But From the New World is a waste of money and time; I hated it.

The good thing of playing them in order is that you will get a better grasp of the three stories and you will get the references.
The bad thing of playing them in order is that, after playing I & II, III possibly won't compare favorably in the least.
But, it's a matter of opinion, of course; you may end up loving From the New World no matter what.

And then, if you like them, you can start hunting for Koudelka which is the very first game that starts it all, but I warn you: if I & II end up being hard/expensive to get, Koudelka will be much harder.
l2amazon
Amazon.com: Koudelka: Video Games (http://www.amazon.com/Koudelka-Playstation/dp/B00004U1IO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218883200&sr=1-1)

Bobby Corwen
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Ah, thank you for that link!, but I don't want to pay 45 bucks minimum for a PS1 used game, that's what I meant by hard to get.

Saber
08-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I own Koudleka and shadow hearts one. My sister owns Covenant so I borrow that when ever I can. I've just been thinking about playing from the new world but I'm saving for some FF games coming out.

as far as I know from the new world made a fresh start in the series. but I could be wrong cause thats just what I heard.

Coma
08-16-2008, 11:23 PM
From the New World turned Shadow Hearts into a generic RPG. There's nothing wrong with it, its just no longer exceptional.

Also:

Ah, thank you for that link!, but I don't want to pay 45 bucks minimum for a PS1 used game, that's what I meant by hard to get.If your unwilling to pay, that doesn't make it hard to get. Its hard to get if you can't find it, or its more expensive then a current gen game (see: Chrono Trigger).

Bobby Corwen
08-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, yeah, ok.

CimminyCricket
08-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I remember SH: Covenant, that game was so funny. I never finished it, never even got really far, I think I'll pick them both back up again. I missed those games.