PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my video folders and thumbnail mode

Zeromus_X
08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem opening up my Videos folders. Whenever I open them up in Thumbnail mode, I get the "Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. This happens whenever I open any folder with an AVI or flash video in it (it seems to load MPEG video just fine) and it tries to load the thumbnail. And this is the only info it gives me:

Error signature

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.3156 ModName: msyuv.dll

ModVer: 5.3.2600.2180 Offset: 0000196c

I was talking with a friend and he said that it must have something to do with the thing listed in the mod name, because he had a similar, but different problem. I looked it up and it seemed to be some kind of video decompressor. I thought, and this did start happening right after I downloaded a new codec. So I got rid of it, restarted, but this still keeps happening, so I have no idea what this problem is caused by. I also did a scan with several virus programs but nothing turns up in either of them. So I was hoping someone would be able to help me; I'd really like to open my video folders in thumbnail mode again.

crono_logical
08-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Usually happens if you have corrupt/incomplete video files in that folder especially if it's a download folder for some P2P app - the relevant decoder crashes when making the thumbnail then takes explorer down with it :D

I personally prefer to disable Window's ability to preview video files anyway, even though I don't even use thumbnail mode :p

Zeromus_X
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
I personally prefer to disable Window's ability to preview video files anyway, even though I don't even use thumbnail mode :p

How can I disable Windows from doing that? Is it different from just viewing the folders in something other than thumbnail mode? Also, is there a way to view all folders in a different mode than thumbnail?

Zeromus_X
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Hm, well I seem to have solved the problem, for now. I did a reinstallation of several codecs with a codec pack and now the thumbnails seem to preview properly, at least for now. Thank you very much for your help.