PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VI Remake

Elskidor
08-14-2008, 02:45 AM
I keep getting mixed responses on if there is going to be a remake. Some say yes, and some say no, but I'm guessing nobody really knows. I'm purdy sure we'll see one, but for which system? If there is a remake, would you rather see it for DS or PSP? Would the majority of fans even like to see FFVI remade? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Avarice-ness
08-14-2008, 03:21 AM
I keep getting mixed responses on if there is going to be a remake. Some say yes, and some say no, but I'm guessing nobody really knows. I'm purdy sure we'll see one, but for which system? If there is a remake, would you rather see it for DS or PSP? Would the majority of fans even like to see FFVI remade? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I'd like it on DS, and there would be no reason for it to go PSP. I WOULD buy a PSP solely for a remake, but there's no doubt in my mind that it would be for DS.

Reason that there's a rumor is solely on the reason that 4,5, and 6 have been coming out with ports and such close to each other. First with.. well their general release, then Anthologies and Chronicals, then GBA versions came in the order of 4, 5, and 6. Seeing as they remade FF4 chances are they will do the same for 5 and 6.

As for would I like it to be remade. No. But that's because I am extremely picky and even such things as the GBA port pissed me off at times. I have a hard time dealing with change, especially when it has to do with my all time favorite game. Would I bitch if it was remade, no I'd just sit in panic until the day its released in America then pick it up and panic some more until I get far enough to where I decide that it's okay or it's not okay as a remake.
Although seeing the FFIV DS has me hopeful that they wouldn't hurt FFVI with a remake, I don't believe it'd make it better either because I don't believe there is EVER a case where a game is -better- solely because of a graphic change. Sure I'd like to see everything in 3D and Kefka blowing up the world in its full visuals but graphics would be the last thing used when determining wether the remake was good. It's all about gameplay and script to me.

Elskidor
08-14-2008, 03:43 AM
I didn't know what to think about a remake, and then FFIV for DS came out, and I can live with something like that. As long as everything stays the same, and only the upgraded graphics are added I'm all for it. The voice acting would be of some interest too. FFIV voice acting was not superb, but it wasn't terrible.

I'm actually really hyped about a possible remake of the game that introduced me to Final Fantasy, and RPGs in general.

Please do not double post. Use the edit/delete button if you wish to add to your previous post. ~ Leeza

Wolf Kanno
08-14-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm conflicted actually... In the past I wanted a remake just so VI can show all the damn fanboys that VII was only special cause it had graphics and a PR campaign worthy of a Presidential Ad Campaign but time has changed me a bit an I can appreciate both games differently.

The only reason I would bother with a remake has already been addressed with a better and more eloquent translation given to us from the GBA port. A graphical overhaul would be impressive but to make it worthwhile I would rather see it on a more powerful system. I would also need major promises of gameplay tweaking and innovations. A few added relics, higher difficulty, and better gameplay balance (the Figaro brothers need to be nerfed) and I might consider it.

Overall, I don't really see a point. The game has aged beautifully compared to other titles and the GBA I feel addresses most needs of the fanbase.

CelestialStarDust
08-14-2008, 06:36 AM
the Figaro brothers need to be nerfed

hehee :D

Flying Mullet
08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm happy with FFVI the way it is, and a remake isn't necessary for me. I think one of the reasons that people are so hopeful for a FFVII remake is the graphics have a large potential for improving. Part of FFVI's charm for me is the colorful, detailed 2D environments and remaking the game with a new graphical style might not look as good as the original.

Comet
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
FF VI is quite comical, and I think making it realistic would destroy the game's feel.

Yar
08-14-2008, 05:39 PM
With a remake there'd be voice acting and 3D rendering. :eek:

But, I'm fine with my SNES/GBA combo. I also said the same thing about IV, and its remake blew me away. So, I don't know. I'd have to see what they were doing with the remake.

There were things with the III and IV remakes that were totally screwed up such as bosses attacking twice and IV's augments.

Headsnap
08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
prob be more like ff7:cc on psp...game play wise :eek:

Dr. Acula
08-17-2008, 03:45 AM
I hope they bring it out on the DS. I hate having to emulate.

But if they do make a remake, I want them to change the part where you get Celes, so that the soldiers beat her like in the SNES version. It made the scene much better, IMO.

bipper
08-17-2008, 04:13 AM

But if they do make a remake, I want them to change the part where you get Celes, so that the soldiers beat her like in the SNES version. It made the scene much better, IMO.

Damn! That is kinda dark and sadistic for our resident white mage...

...guess wounds are what you're here for ....
...but still, what the hell!? XD

Yar
08-17-2008, 04:48 AM

Final Fantasy VI Advance is actually pretty cheap at Gamestop (used), and it works on DS!

Heath
08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
If they released a remake of FFVI for the DS, then I'd most likely play it, but I don't see a pressing need for it. I suppose I didn't see a need for a DS version of FFIV either. I'm entirely happy with how FFVI is in the SNES and GBA versions and don't see what a DS remake would achieve.

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I wish there was a side quest where they finish the whole opera. If there was ever a game i would buy a console for just to play it would be FFVI on DS.

And i agree with wanting to see Celes chained up and smacked about.

ReloadPsi
08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
I found it a bit retarded that they just removed a scene from a game purely because of one current event.

Avarice-ness
08-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Here's my part on the Celes beating thing.

I agree with Acula. It did make the scene much better, it also alluded to RachelxLocke, which a lot of the CelesxLocke relationship mirrors. When Rachel died, she was under lock and key with the empire, so who knows how they killed her, for all Locke may have known they could have beat her to death, so when seeing Celes (Who locke says reminds him of Rachel in the Opera scene thing) he went out in full on hero mode more than he did with Terra. With Terra he was all ">=O EMPIRE SCUM RAAAWR" and had to be talked down, with Celes he was like "MUST SAVE NOW!". In movies, and.. hell even in this game, you could tell that there is an immediate connection between the two (or atleast Locke to Celes and first, and then both later). Insta-love as I like to call it.

I think the fact that Celes and being beaten and Locke saving her did strengthen the love story aspect of CelesxLocke and even RachelxLocke, and I don't know about most people, but Locke's character development and story over all (love part included) is my FAVORITE story in the game.

champagne supernova
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I would like to see VI remade, preferably for a console, not a handheld. I have never completed FFVI , although I played a version of it (stopped just after Kefka and the Emperor had the crystals), and the main reason why I didn't complete it was because I couldn't handle the graphics.

But, from what I did play of it, the game seemed too epic to be played on a handheld. And, from what I did play of VI, it does have some very dark themes. Maybe it is because dark would not work with SNES, because of its limited capabilities.

Some might think it is a bit silly not to play a game based on graphics, but I am not from the NES/SNES era, so I don't have any nostalgia to that type of look. I could play VII now, even though its graphics are terrible by todays standards, because I am used to it. But the NES/SNES are just too far back for me.

But I would really like VI to be remade. From what I did play, it seemed like a really good game, and I would like to be able to finish it, without being put off by the fact that I can't look at it.

Bastian
08-17-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd love to see VI (and V, for that matter) follow in the footsteps of the DS remakes of III and IV. I think these were one of the best ideas Squeenix has had as of late.

Oh, and you kids what with your "I can't play pre-PS FF, the graphix are teh sux" . . . ugh!

Heath
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I'd love to see VI (and V, for that matter) follow in the footsteps of the DS remakes of III and IV. I think these were one of the best ideas Squeenix has had as of late.

Oh, and you kids what with your "I can't play pre-PS FF, the graphix are teh sux" . . . ugh!

To be fair, that's a pretty sad version not to play a game. I think FFVI has some fantastic graphics and looks great for a SNES game. There aren't many games that look better than FFVI (CT is of course one of them though).

Wolf Kanno
08-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Granted I feel not playing a game due to graphics is kinda silly but I also understand the fact that part of the charm is the nostalgia. Seriously, try to finish the game. 2D holds up way better than 3D.;)

champagne supernova
08-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I will get around to it, but I was seriously distracted by GTA4. And I have to play it on my *cough* PC *cough*, and I think the translation could be a bit dodgy.

But I would like VI to be remade with new graphics. Then I would be able to appreciate it, and also compare it to other titles.

And not finishing a game is lame, as I've already admitted it. But graphics do add to a game, especially in term of body language. So, there is some sort of rational reasoning underneath it! Vaguely.

bipper
08-18-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm happy with FFVI the way it is, and a remake isn't necessary for me. I think one of the reasons that people are so hopeful for a FFVII remake is the graphics have a large potential for improving. Part of FFVI's charm for me is the colorful, detailed 2D environments and remaking the game with a new graphical style might not look as good as the original.

Despite the charm, I felt as though it was one of the most mature FFs in the series. Kepp the Celes hazing, keep the maturity, and keep the comic tones, and I think you have the final fantasy that most closely related with proper theater.

blackmage_nuke
08-18-2008, 07:57 AM
And not finishing a game is lame, as I've already admitted it. But graphics do add to a game, especially in term of body language. So, there is some sort of rational reasoning underneath it! Vaguely.
Body language? http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Gau/Gau%20-%20Wave%20(Front).gif
You arguement is body language!? http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Locke/Locke%20-%20Shocked.gif
How could you possibly say that FF6 has any less body language then games like FF7 or FF8http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Strago/Strago%20-%20Angry.gif
You dissapoint me http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Relm/Relm%20-%20Sad%20(Front).gif
I cant even look you in the eye http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Glance.gif

Slothy
08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Body language? http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Gau/Gau%20-%20Wave%20(Front).gif
You arguement is body language!? http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Locke/Locke%20-%20Shocked.gif
How could you possibly say that FF6 has any less body language then games like FF7 or FF8http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Strago/Strago%20-%20Angry.gif
You dissapoint me http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Relm/Relm%20-%20Sad%20(Front).gif
I cant even look you in the eye http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Glance.gif

Best rebuttal ever.

champagne supernova
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I said it was some vague reasoning, not an argument. It's not even the main reason why I didn't finish it. The main reason was GTA4. And, it is slightly difficult to move yourself back into 2D after the technical beauty of GTA4.

I just don't see the point in remaking VI in 2D. Commercially it would be more successful if it looked awesome. It would have greater critical acclaim if it made the transition to 3D. For them to keep it 2D would be laziness.

And 3D would allow the game to convey the serious undertones of the game in a much more subtle, realistic way. Body language for me does not involve a sprite jumping up & down with exclamation marks around their head.

I'll put it this way. Watch Sin City or 300. Would they have been as good if they were filmed in the traditional manner? The visuals aided the storyline and the themes of the movie. I'm not saying that VI should be done in a similar style, I am just saying that having good visuals aids, rather than detracts, from a game.

Anyway, I am going to try finish VI this week. I have lost the plot a little bit, because it's been a month since I last played, but I'm sure I'll be able to recover. Maybe by the end, I will understand everyone's point.

Elskidor
08-18-2008, 02:08 PM

It's not necessary, but I think it would be great fun seeing FFVI in a new way. IV was remade, and I thought it was a pleasant surprise, and a blast playing it in a new light after all these years. After seeing was was done with FFIV, I'm really looking forward to them revisiting FFVI. When I first read FFVII was in demand for a remake I had to laugh. VII doesn't need a remake. Give it a remake for it's 20th anniversary, but a game made for Playstation can wait a few years before being remade. Hit the classics up with a new look. I don't think it will take away anything from the old SNES game or new GBA game, it justs allows people to play another version. If people don't like it they sure aren't being forced to play it. I'd love to see it remade just to see what will be done with it. It's all in fun, and it could turn out great.

Avarice-ness
08-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I'll put it this way. Watch Sin City or 300. Would they have been as good if they were filmed in the traditional manner? The visuals aided the storyline and the themes of the movie. I'm not saying that VI should be done in a similar style, I am just saying that having good visuals aids, rather than detracts, from a game.

For the most part, I completely forget that there is a story line in BOTH those movies BECAUSE of the visuals.

Slothy
08-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Even with that argument, who's to say that redoing the graphics in 3D would be the best way to redo them? What about higher resolution, hand drawn 2D sprites? What about various other options. Frankly, I'm not all the impressed with the 3D that was used in the FFIII and IV remakes. It all seems pretty bland to me. Just your standard 3D presentation.

Disclaimer: just in case anyone would feel like arguing with my take on the 3D in the remakes, I will say right now I haven't played them because my fiancee only got a DS the day before I left home (about a month ago). I will be playing them when I get back and would be happy to change my opinion if they look better than what I've seen in screenshots and videos.

Avarice-ness
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Even with that argument, who's to say that redoing the graphics in 3D would be the best way to redo them? What about higher resolution, hand drawn 2D sprites? What about various other options. Frankly, I'm not all the impressed with the 3D that was used in the FFIII and IV remakes. It all seems pretty bland to me. Just your standard 3D presentation.

Disclaimer: just in case anyone would feel like arguing with my take on the 3D in the remakes, I will say right now I haven't played them because my fiancee only got a DS the day before I left home (about a month ago). I will be playing them when I get back and would be happy to change my opinion if they look better than what I've seen in screenshots and videos.

I agree with the "standard 3D presentation". Other than the CGI intros that are HORRIBLELY beautiful, the regular game parts just look N64 generation. Nothing near to the par of consoles, great for a handheld, but nothing that would be a swaying point for me to want to buy a remake. If it was like a PS3 remake, I -WOULD- let the graphics aspect sway me, but DS graphics, not so much.

Bolivar
08-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Probably because you couldn't even post 5 examples without reusing one (well, there's the wink...)

FFIV really impressed me alot, it's actually cool to see SE progressing with its skills on the DS. Showing the improvement over III which it had (and I thought IIIDS was a pretty good game) it really makes you think the best is yet to come.

So maybe a DS remake could do it justice. But that's not to say the game needs one. FFVI does have good graphics, just because it's not 3d, it doesn't mean it's bad. Not to mention a musical score that still goes pound for pound with a lot of games today. But I will say that compared to some 16-bit era games, the visuals weren't necessarily stellar for their time, and I could understand how it might get in the way of someone enjoying the game (champagne supernova).

The only two problems I see stopping it are the development team and length. I could get pretty much everything in the original IV in less than 20 hours, but to get about everything in VI takes me on average 35. Also, all of the key developers for the original have all been busy making new games for...like 15 years now. III and IV DS have been the pet projects of Tanaka because he directed those games, for VI I would imagine Yoshinori Kitase, Hideo Minaba, T2 and Tetsuya Nomura would all have to be on board.

blackmage_nuke
08-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Probably because you couldn't even post 5 examples without reusing one (well, there's the wink...)

What are you talking about i didnt reuse any

Yar
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
And some expressions are actually combinations of sprites. ;)

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
The only two problems I see stopping it are the development team and length. I could get pretty much everything in the original IV in less than 20 hours, but to get about everything in VI takes me on average 35. Also, all of the key developers for the original have all been busy making new games for...like 15 years now. III and IV DS have been the pet projects of Tanaka because he directed those games, for VI I would imagine Yoshinori Kitase, Hideo Minaba, T2 and Tetsuya Nomura would all have to be on board.

I don't see how Nomura would be important though, his role in VI was pretty minor looking at the game credits. I must say I'm curious to see what Kitase would do with VI if he directed a 3D remake. Its been awhile since he directed an FF game but after dealing with the series current director, I'm starting to wish he would come back.

Somehow I feel the team would want to do more with VI than a DS remake.

Slothy
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't see how Nomura would be important though, his role in VI was pretty minor looking at the game credits. I must say I'm curious to see what Kitase would do with VI if he directed a 3D remake. Its been awhile since he directed an FF game but after dealing with the series current director, I'm starting to wish he would come back.

Somehow I feel the team would want to do more with VI than a DS remake.

It was my understanding he was the graphic director on FFVI. Maybe I'm mistaken. That said though, I would rather he not be involved. I don't think his visual style, or where he seems to be as a game director would suit a remake of FFVI. Maybe he could pull it off and make a contribution fans would be pleased with, but I can't see it based on his recent works.

Karellen
08-20-2008, 12:11 PM
He was one of 4 art directors for the game. Wikipedia simply says he was the "designer for some characters", so it's kind of hard to tell how extensive his role was.

Roogle
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I feel that a Final Fantasy VI remake would be served best as a full remake in either a high quality 3D graphical style or a high quality 2D graphical style. This is not the type of game that I would want to see remade for a portable system at this time, honestly.

Roto13
08-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Uh, what did he reuse?

toroianguardiv
08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Can we all just sit and just imagine here... if ffvi was released on ps3 or xbox360? i know, cherish the 2D (i prefer it anyday, snes), but still. the story itself is timeless, i have not found a better one to date. it would totally blow all of the other rpg's today out of the water, no lie.

just imagine.

ps. with the whole celes torture scene, i agree, it should've stayed in.

Roto13
08-21-2008, 04:05 PM
The game ALREADY came out in 2D. :P If it gets remade, they have to change it up a bit or it'd be pretty pointless. The cutscenes in the PS1 version showed the characters can look amazing in 3D.

Slothy
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
The game ALREADY came out in 2D. :P If it gets remade, they have to change it up a bit or it'd be pretty pointless. The cutscenes in the PS1 version showed the characters can look amazing in 3D.

Or, you know, we could always go with some high quality hand drawn 2D sprites, or something along those lines. I can't say I'd mind FFVI with 2D graphics of the sort of quality found in, say, Odin Sphere. Particularly if they based the visuals on Amano's designs.

Changing things up doesn't mean it can't still be 2D.

champagne supernova
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
I guess that high-quality 2D (which means no sprites) could be an interesting way to present VI, as it would be true to its roots. But I think that 3D allows the developers to put a lot more detail into the world, and make it a lot more believable.

I know someone will disagree with me on this, but look at how beautiful some of the locations were in X and XII. In XII, especially, the Phon Coast is spectacular. But one would lose that sense of grandeur and scale in 2D.

However, as I've mentioned before, I don't think VI should be remade for a portable system. From what I've played, I think it deserves more than that, and only a remake on a next-gen console would be appropriate.

Ultima9999
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Being a Final Fantasy junkie since the late 80's I would have to agree with everyone on here that this does really need to be remade. A few years ago I was one of those that supported square in remaking FFVI but over time I see there's really no need for it. Everything about that game was beautiful. The Story line (and everyones back stories), The opening sequence when Terra and the vector soliders are walking towards Narshe, The escape from Narshe, The break up of the parties and picking diferent senarios to chose from, The Opera House and My favorite of all The World of Ruin. To remake this game is not needed but if square-enix has a need to then so be it. Like everyone else I'll still play it soley for the fact that its Final Fantasy VI (My all time favortie RPG and all around Video game).

The up grade to the garphics is nice but thats not what makes the game. Its the Game creators and the gamers that do. I understand where the one poster who said he/she doesn't have a nostalga for games like this because of the graphics. For anyone not to play game because the graphics are a out-dated is a silly and foolish reason to have. The story, game play, and qulity of the game make it worth at least checking it out.

I have had this disscusion many times over with friends and on my old Final Fantasy Forum. We all have our opinions and feelings on why or why they shouldn't make a remake of a SNES classic such as FFVI. Its just like my grandmother used to tell me "If it ain't broke don't fix the damn thing."

Well FFVI isn't broken so don't fix it.

One last thing Final Fantasy Six is the best in the series I don't care what people say about seven Six is the granddaddy of them all.

Bolivar
09-17-2008, 06:18 AM

Looking down and to the left with Relm and Mash, your last two.

Uh, what did he reuse?

see above.

Roto13
09-17-2008, 06:39 AM

Looking down and to the left with Relm and Mash, your last two.

Uh, what did he reuse?

see above.

Relm is looking down, Sabin is looking to the left/his right.

See also: http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Relm/Relm%20-%20Glance.gif http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Sad%20(Front).gif

blackmage_nuke
09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Also see: Relm looking Down, Relm Looking Left: http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Relm/Relm%20-%20Sad%20(Front).gifhttp://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Relm/Relm%20-%20Glance.gif

Sabin looking down, Sabin looking Left:http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Sad%20(Front).gifhttp://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Glance.gif

Edit: Oops I missed what Roto Just said

Bolivar
09-19-2008, 12:06 AM
I guess I stand corrected.

It still doesn't change the fact that the range of FFVI's body language is pathetically inferior compared to later games in general, much less Final Fantasies. So I still stand by my defense of Champagne Supernova's reasoning, although I personally don't allow the same things get in the way of which games I play.

arcanedude34
09-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Actually I found it much harder to read VII characters' body languages as they weren't as noticeable... I wouldn't call them subtle... mostly just... confusing...

bipper
09-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Arrogant people eh?

Well sweet, we interpret art differently. Well oh http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, we made an important discovery here.

On that note, I have to say that FFVII really fell short of six as far as paper doll emotion. They had great animations and better graphics so they could do more, it just seemed so chopped and forced. Where as size was fluid, at least, it was in the way my brain interprets it. Then I felt that final fantasy VIII was so pretentious in the delivery of its emotion as well. A new animation for everything, that kind of acting belongs on stage, imo.

I liked six. People had their emotions and body language portrait through habitual poses, more like in real life, and thusly portraying a ton more realistic character.

Overall, it is like the graphical approach of six gives you general ideas and leaves room for the imagination. Seven is like watching someone play with dolls, imo. There is a point where you get pulled too far into the moment, and playing can just become exhausting. Which is why I cannot play X.

champagne supernova
09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Actually I found it much harder to read VII characters' body languages as they weren't as noticeable... I wouldn't call them subtle... mostly just... confusing...

I wasn't implying that VII's body language was good. Just that VI's was limited and it is one area where it can be improved so as to enhance the game.

blackmage_nuke
09-23-2008, 04:38 AM

I wasn't implying that VII's body language was good. Just that VI's was limited and it is one area where it can be improved so as to enhance the game.I dont think the body language was limited at all. I think they had all the body language that they needed without constantly trying to show off their graphical technology as if they had something to prove. They did what was needed and did it very well, if they wanted to im sure they couldve done more but it wasnt necessary. I think in a 3d remake or improved 2d remake there is very little they could actually do to make the body language any more expressive or clear as it is now, different maybe and to the same excellent standard but i think VI is in the top ranks for use of body language.

Nice
10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't wanna see a remake of this game. To me, instead of creating new stories and progressing, Square seems too concerned with remakes. The reason I like VI is partly due to the graphic's, clumsy battle cutscenes and the soundtrack.

That's not to say if they made it I wouldn't buy it.

Mercen-X
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
When you play an old game meant for the weaker systems, you're bound to run into things you don't like when compared to things we're seeing now. I used to own a Nintendo EnSys, and still own a Sega Genesis and the original Atari system. I don't really play my Genesis anymore and never so much as look at the Atari, but I remember them. I find myself slightly conflicted. I'm nostalgic but nauseated by the old feel of these games.

A remake doesn't need graphic change. There are plenty of original games being released for the PS2 whose graphics are simple hi-def 2D sprites and they're awesome from subjective perspective. I'll be watching.

KoShiatar
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Considering that I really enjoyed III and IV's remakes, I'm looking forward to this.

Dignified Pauper
10-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I would rather a remake of this be put on the PS3. Imagine, a fully rendered 3-D Kefka burning Thamasa, torching Figaro, and throwing Gestahl off the Floating Continent... I mean... just picture it!

champagne supernova
10-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I would rather a remake of this be put on the PS3. Imagine, a fully rendered 3-D Kefka burning Thamasa, torching Figaro, and throwing Gestahl off the Floating Continent... I mean... just picture it!

That is my point exactly.

PeneloRatsbane
10-24-2008, 10:48 PM
it would be visually stunning and i think perphaps some improvement to the last part of the game, i mean i like it especialy Setzer and Daryl story, but it doesn't match up to the begging and most of the game,
it could be excellent

IPTC
10-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I would want it on the Wii or X-box. Forget Playstation 3. Put alot of cutscenes BUT keep it the way it is. Don't change anything about it.

It's epic as is.

Dignified Pauper
10-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I would want it on the Wii or X-box. Forget Playstation 3. Put alot of cutscenes BUT keep it the way it is. Don't change anything about it.

It's epic as is.

Pfft, PS3 can do so much more. It deserves to be given the finest detail EVER!

IPTC
10-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Graphics does not make the game. X-box has just as pretty graphics as the overbloated PS3.

Roto13
10-29-2008, 06:54 AM
It could always be better.

Final Fantasy XIII quality graphics would help. (Not the character design, though, of course.) Better quality music (same songs, orchestrated), voice acting, no more random battles, maybe move some stuff around in the interest of freshness, etc..

Freie-Kefka
11-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd like to see a good FFVI remake on NDS, just like FFIII or IV.
Of course FFVI is a GREAT game itself, and even its graphics is somehow touching and iconographically perfect; but I surely would cry if I knew a remake is going to be released.
I think there's nothing to change in the plot, anyway: I especially love the WoR, which is the true masterpiece within the masterpiece IMO. You're free to do almost wathever you want, and you can appreciate how your characters are psycologically grown (Terra *_*, Locke *__*, Cyan *___*, Celes *____*...).
I love FFVI as it is, but it would be pure apotheosis to see a 3d Kefka.

Jiro
11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I would love to have a remake of VI, but the remake would not replace the original (or whatever copy I actually have, I'm not sure). It would be exciting and fun and new, but it wouldn't quite have the same feeling. Of course, we'd have to actually play to say for sure whether we would like it. I'm not expecting a remake any time soon though

Arthurdent_78
12-01-2008, 06:32 PM
First, the Game Cube's graphics were better than the PS2's, and the Wii's graphics are a step up from the Cube. Yes, they are not on par with the PS3/XBox 360, but they are still far better than SNES. Everyone agrees that the PS2 FFs look amazing, therefore a FFVI remake on Wii could look even better than FFX-FFXII.

Plus, with the Wii, imagine what they could do with motion/IR controls for things like Setzer's Blitzes or Cyan's Sword Techs. Personally, I think the Wii would be the perfect choice for a remake. Also, Squenix seems to be releasing many of these recent remakes, which originally came out on Nintendo systems, on current Nintendo systems (except, of course for the PSP FFI & II), therefore, a Wii release would make sense.

Dignified Pauper
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
First, the Game Cube's graphics were better than the PS2's, and the Wii's graphics are a step up from the Cube. Yes, they are not on par with the PS3/XBox 360, but they are still far better than SNES. Everyone agrees that the PS2 FFs look amazing, therefore a FFVI remake on Wii could look even better than FFX-FFXII.

Plus, with the Wii, imagine what they could do with motion/IR controls for things like Setzer's Blitzes or Cyan's Sword Techs. Personally, I think the Wii would be the perfect choice for a remake. Also, Squenix seems to be releasing many of these recent remakes, which originally came out on Nintendo systems, on current Nintendo systems (except, of course for the PSP FFI & II), therefore, a Wii release would make sense.

If you're going to remake an already amazing game, I argue you should put it on the sweetest machine possible. Full Orchestrated soundtracks, fully rendered world, with the same power as the engine being used to create FFXIII. I mean, really, it'd be breath-taking. Graphics don't make games, true, but this game has already outdone itself.

Roogle
12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
There are two approaches to take with a remake. A game can be remade for a portable console or a game can be remade for a next-generation console.

If the latter approach is taken, I find myself agreeing with Dignified Pauper to remake the game on the most powerful system for the best response. If the former approach is taken, it is not hard to incorporate console gimmicks like a touch screen into features added in as an afterthought.

Silent Warrior
12-06-2008, 06:38 AM
I hope FF6 is remade for the NES!

... Nah! Seriously, I'd like to see more of this sort of thing on the PC. Console-ports are about fifty to the dozen these days; let's see some daring enterprise! (Re)Make a game for the PC!

sdm42393
12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
*sigh* If only they would remake it on the Wii (if it was a home console remake, anyway)... I only have three games for it and I want an excuse to use it more. >_>

Arthurdent_78
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Maybe Squeenix is waiting for Nintendo's purported HD system to arrive in 2011. I would hate to wait that long, but I would imagine it would be worth the extra development time. And what better game to release upon launch then an FFVI remake?

Think about it, Wiimote controls and 1080p graphics!

Unstoppable Pig
12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Wii really has potential. They could make Cyans and Sabins own moves much more funnier. Well Blitzes already are but Bushidos are stupid because you have to wait for that stupid meter to reach good attacks. With Wii those moves could be turn in to sword slashes what you perform with mote.

Since VI relatively short when compared to VII-XII FF games it would be nice if they added more story sequences in WoR. Desperado-attacks should appear more.

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Wii really has potential. They could make Cyans and Sabins own moves much more funnier. Well Blitzes already are but Bushidos are stupid because you have to wait for that stupid meter to reach good attacks. With Wii those moves could be turn in to sword slashes what you perform with mote.

I feel the Wii controls would be rather gimmicky, especially since their only applicable for a few characters. I'd rather see it on 360 or PS3 if they were going to do it.

Since VI relatively short when compared to VII-XII FF games it would be nice if they added more story sequences in WoR. Desperado-attacks should appear more.

I feel the WoR is fine as is to be honest. I can see abit of dialogue but I don't want the additions of new story elements. The only reason I don't mind in FFIVDS is because those scenes were cut during development. Tacking on new scenes in VI for length seems distasteful to me.

Crimson
12-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I would love to see it remade for the PSP, it would be able to include the PSX versions FMV's

and the idea of fighting the final boss with PSP graphics while listening to Dancing Mad is epic beyond words.

arcanedude34
12-10-2008, 12:41 AM
I'd like to see some ports to the Virtual Console at the very least. My Wii just gathers dust when my dad isn't playing *shudder* Wii Sports.

sdm42393
12-10-2008, 03:05 AM
My Wii just gathers dust when my dad isn't playing *shudder* Wii Sports.

At least it isn't Wii Play... :whaaa:

ljkkjlcm9
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Firstly, if FFVI gets remade, it's almost guaranteed to be on a portable system... and with the trend they have been taking with the remakes, it'd be the DS. They could still do things with the Blitzes and the Swd Techs, and Sketch. Blitzes touch spots on the screen, Swd Tech do slashes, Sketch connect the dots, Slots actually press the slot to stop it.

And for those saying their Wii is collecting dust... I've been playing Tales of Symphonia 2 TONS... RPG fans should get it IMO...

THE JACKEL

Jessweeee♪
12-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I've been meaning to play this :\

I can't find it and emulating it didn't work out, so a remake would be just dandy!

sdm42393
12-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Firstly, if FFVI gets remade, it's almost guaranteed to be on a portable system... and with the trend they have been taking with the remakes, it'd be the DS. They could still do things with the Blitzes and the Swd Techs, and Sketch. Blitzes touch spots on the screen, Swd Tech do slashes, Sketch connect the dots, Slots actually press the slot to stop it.

But as you can tell from FF4, Square-Enix apparently doesn't like the touch screen. :eep:

ljkkjlcm9
12-12-2008, 11:28 PM

But as you can tell from FF4, Square-Enix apparently doesn't like the touch screen. :eep:

Unless you look at The World Ends With You, in which they love the touchscreen. That game had some of the best use of a touch screen in any DS game. Chrono Trigger DS also uses the touchscreen for menus and such.

THE JACKAL

Dignified Pauper
12-13-2008, 03:36 AM
FFVI is too epic for the DS! It needs PS3 Powa!

Elskidor
12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I figured we would of heard something about it by now. After the hit reamke of FFIV over the Summer, I'm surprised a plan is not already in effect for FFVI.

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I figured we would of heard something about it by now. After the hit reamke of FFIV over the Summer, I'm surprised a plan is not already in effect for FFVI.

They will most likely try to go in order. Course their are some politics involved. III and IV were headed by the same team but V-VII have a different team working on them. I wouldn't be surprised if the conflict in question might even have to deal with what system to redo the titles on.

Course, Kitase is still busy working as Executive Producer for the XIII project and the Compilation. I wouldn't be surprised if a few years pass before we hear anything.

Tevious
01-07-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't see why Matrix Software wouldn't continue to do the remakes of FFV and FFVI. I originally thought FFVI would be much better suited on the PSP, but after seeing what they did with Avalon Code, I'm convinced they could pull it off on the DS. The graphics on that game are amazing! (for the DS). Matrix just needs to stick away from that chibi look. Anyway, it wouldn't make sense to remake FFIII-V on the DS and then do FFVI on the PSP since they'd have already drawn their audience over to the DS.

Now not that I know much about SE's employees, but based on Wikipedia, couldn't Hiroyuki Itou work with Matrix to develop FFV DS and by the time that's done, have Yoshinori Kitase work with them on FFVI DS (FFXIII hopefully being done by then)?

Wolf Kanno
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
It really comes down to what SE might feel will make them the best profit. In the past, a remake on the DS was the most plausible but the PSP has finally started to catch up in recent years. Throw in the fact that many fans want to see it on a stronger system and SE has a few things to consider before they give it the go ahead. The same really goes for FFV as well.

I would personally like to see it on a console, its not that I dislike the handhelds, but I feel the games deserve complete remakes with SE using the best of their abilites on the best hardware. I don't think VII fans would be too thrilled if VII was going to finally be remade by Matrix on the DS or have a pseudo-remake like Chrono Trigger on the PSP. Most VII fans want a PS3 remake, and I feel V and VI fans would want the same. Throw in the fact that the games are better balanced and have more that can be done from a technological POV for their stories and I feel V and VI could do stronger as console remakes rather than handhelds.

I don't mean to bash Matrix cause they have done amazing work with III and IV but I also feel they are close to pushing the DS to its limits. I can't see them creating something better on a consistent basis for the DS hardware. The PSP is a better option but I still would prefer a console if we are going to even bother. Its my problem with the PSP, if you choose it cause it has the better hardware, I feel you might as well just take the leap and move it to console. Crisis Core and Dissidia didn't really benefit greatly for being on the PSP imo.

Tevious
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
The problem with jumping to a current gen console is the production costs. Let's face it, as cool as it would be to have SE go full out and remake the classic FFs on the PS3, they're highly unlikely to do it. They'll want a quick buck, so they'll put the remakes on a handheld because it won't cost them much to do it, it'll still sell, and they can even contract it out to another developer so they can continue with the series instead of revisiting old ones. Although, its plausible that they could do it on the Wii.

The PSP would be nice, but they've already established a fanbase on the DS for the classic remakes. Switching to the PSP would probably cost them sales.

If FVII gets a remake on the PS3 (which I wouldn't hold my breath on), it'll only be because of the huge demmand for it. The demmand for FFVI on the PS3 isn't that overwelming.

sdm42393
01-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Crisis Core and Dissidia didn't really benefit greatly for being on the PSP imo.

I didn't really hurt either. What would be so special if they were put on the DS? Gimmicky touch-screen controls and less-advance graphics (I don't mean to sound shallow, but I think a majority of the hype comes from seeing all the classic characters in almost PS2-quality graphics)?

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Crisis Core and Dissidia didn't really benefit greatly for being on the PSP imo.

I didn't really hurt either. What would be so special if they were put on the DS? Gimmicky touch-screen controls and less-advance graphics (I don't mean to sound shallow, but I think a majority of the hype comes from seeing all the classic characters in almost PS2-quality graphics)?

God, putting them on the DS would have been worse. I just feel both those titles would have done better on a console. Even if it was just PS2. CC could have really benefited from having a PS2/3 controller instead of using the PSP interface.

sdm42393
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM
God, putting them on the DS would have been worse. I just feel both those titles would have done better on a console. Even if it was just PS2. CC could have really benefited from having a PS2/3 controller instead of using the PSP interface.

Oh, silly me. I thought you were implying putting them on the DS :eek:
But yes, they would've benifitted from being on a home console (only because of PSP's lack of a second anaolog dub *sigh*).

The Man
01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
For the record, I agree with Marick and all the others who said it should be remade with the highest quality possible. I'd actually kind of like to see it on Nintendo's as-yet-unreleased HD console; imagining what combination of stuff they could do with the Wii controller and HD graphics already has me somewhat giddy with anticipation. That said, I'll probably end up getting the remake no matter what console it eventually comes out on, just because it's my favourite game of all time.

I'd also definitely like the game to adhere as closely as possible to its creators' original vision as possible. I don't like the way Square Enix effectively sugar-coated the actions of the Empire in the game's American releases to date and the GBA port. As I recall, the original Japanese script gave the "Slave" part of "Slave Crown" a distinctively sexual context, and the beating of Celes revealed that the brutality of the Empire was not just contained to Kefka. The effect of the game is somewhat stifled when the inherent misogyny of the Empire is downplayed.

Del Murder
01-09-2009, 03:17 AM
I'd like to see a remake on the DS. The FFIV remake was very fun and cute.

Wolfen
03-11-2009, 03:56 AM
FFVIDS won't come until FFV is remade, which won't happen for another year. So we prolly got till 2011 or 2012 before FF6DS comes out, and by then I'm sure Nintendo will release ANOTHER version of the DS, which will hopefully have more graphical power and be able to portray this game the way it deserves.

I cant even look you in the eye http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Sabin/Sabin%20-%20Glance.gifThe 2D graphical facial expressions were epic. XD

EDIT: The remake should look something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Final_Fantasy_SGI_demo.png

Sabin Figaro
03-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I would absolutely-LOVE to see a remake of FFVI. I played FFVI when I was about 10-years-old and it is still my favorite video game of all time. Although FFT ranks just about second place. The greatness of FFVI is unparalleled to any other RPG I have ever played because of the epic feeling behind FFVI. The story's backline was based on the ruthlessness of the Roman Empire, Christian Catholicism, the Apocalypse, and the Seven Levels of Hell (by Dante). Kefka is also the most prfound villian of all-time. He defines the very nature of madness, cruelty, and evil. Not only does he demonstrate pure hatred; he also demonstrates his own rise to power along with the 'good' guys. His lust for power turns him into God-himself at the end of the game and portrays the true meaningless of life. The whole game is loaded with theme and story, unlike the more shallow versions of the FF-series, including FFVII.

(Personally-speaking, I could not stand FFVII because the 3D graphics seemed to take away the focus from story to gameplay. While I can understand the importance of high graphic gameplay, the storyline faltered and left me disappointed.)

With all that said, I would *LOVE* to see a FFVI remake on the WII or PS3 ~ or hell, maybe even a subsequent game system with better graphics. I would like to know who also would *LOVE* to see it in addition to me, and I think we should start a serious campaign to demand Square (or whoever makes FF games nowadays) to remake it.

Though, if somebody did remake FFVI then I would prefer it to stay true to its origin rather than be a crappy remake just for profit. If it fails to deliver then that would really break my heart. If there were to be a remake, then I hope it would keep and reinforce the backbone of FFVI. The storyline should remain almost entirely the same as before, with perhaps more detail and off-story content. What I recall of FFVI when I played it as a young boy was its violence and darkness. Even though the game was censored to adhere to American standards, I do not think it should be a second-time around...

The truth of the matter is the background story of FFVI was designed to portray both the true beauty and ugliness of the human soul. The empire represents the 'evil' side of mankind, of course, while the 'resistance' fighters represent 'good'. I would hope this stays the same. The fight-system should be overhauled but the music should *STAY THE SAME*. The music was just too great. I still listen & love the music themes in FFVI because they are so powerful and fitting, especially Dancing Mad (the final battle) and the Ghost Train in the Ghost Forest.

If there is a remake, then I would love to see all of the characters developed much more. There were so many characters to choose from when fighting the final battle; it was spectacular! That was a great thing about FFVI. You could focus on just 4 or 6 of your favorite characters and beat the game even though every character was potentially very powerful by the end game.

We should get a bunch of FFVI fans together and demand a remake!!!

:evilking:

scrumpleberry
03-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Well, I'd love a DS remake in the same style as IV!

I'll be very dissapointed if they don't do one, and surprised if they don't do V, seeing as how they remade FINAL FANTASY FREAKING III

The Turk
03-25-2009, 02:38 AM
I don't want it to get remade, but if they are going to do it they should go all out and give it the PS3 treatment.

Depression Moon
03-25-2009, 03:04 AM
^^ That's what I'm talking about. I still haven't had a chance to play the game yet and I call myself a FF fan.

Rebellious Eagle
03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I doubt a remake is likely any time soon, though, because the GBA version only came out not even 2 years ago. But I would like to see it on the DS or even the PS3. I think it'll look cool in 3D.

Wolfen
04-10-2009, 04:25 AM
The DS was released in 2004, which is ten years after the N64. If you look at the releases of consoles and the handhelds that equal their graphical power, a handheld comes out a decade after its console. The PS2 was released in 2000, so the time for a handheld equaling the PS2 is close. FFV will prolly be released before FFVI, so we should get V in 2010, which will be around the same time Ninty releases the DS2, and VI in 2011 or 2012.

I don't know about you, but I'd be just happy with PS2 graphics. And maybe they'll remake VII and VIII on the DS2, which means that we'll see Terra, Cloud, and Squall all in the style of the Kingdom Hearts series.

However, if they remake VI, VII, and VIII on the DS/DS2, then I want them to incorporate more touch screen features, like with Sabin's blitz's and Cyan's bushido. III and IV could be played without the stylus which made the game feel a lot like their original counter parts.

So, here's to 6 thru 8 on the DS2!

And for those wondering why I left out IX, I'm hoping they remake it on the DS3 with X and XII.

Varimath
04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
A remake would be sweet, but should be as close to the original as possible. As a former speaker here said: Just maybe updated graphic and a bit better voice acting. Thats the game I would buy! :cool:

Shiny
05-04-2009, 01:48 AM
It wouldn't be much of an upgrade if it was put on the DS though that would be highly convenient. I'd prefer to see it on one of the new generation consoles or PS2, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Zaskull
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
prob be more like ff7:cc on psp...game play wise :eek:

No. :roll2:

Depression Moon
05-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I thought I remember one of the staff mentioning a while back that the VI DS version is supposed to come out this year, was that a joke?

Flying Mullet
05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
It must have been.

Either that or an assumption that because FFIV had a DS remake FFV and FFVI must have a DS remake as well.

Mezlabor
05-16-2009, 02:30 AM
First off Hi Im new here this is my first post. I found this thread while I was searchign for any info on a possible ff 6 remake.

Sooooo you count me on board with those who would love a new remake and like others on this thread Id prefer it for a console. 3d or high quality 2d is immaterial to me as long as the story, and characters I love are back.

6 is my all time fave ff I played it back on the snes when it first came out in the us and I never forgot I have the antholgies for ps1 as well. I love ff 6 and would def get excited for a remake.

I dunno if anyo f you have seen this yet but ign wrote an article a few years ago about a ff 6 anime. IGN: Gaming to Anime: Final Fantasy VI (http://anime.ign.com/articles/842/842025p1.html)
if done right I think it could make a great series.

Ill leave you with a fun little vid in that regard
YouTube - 【完成版】FF6 ハガレンOPEDパロ【手書き】 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2g7g6zuIRU)

daggertrepe
06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I think a remake would be fun! It couldn't hurt.

Yar
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
:crying2: Every time I click on this thread I hope there's some big announcement.

Rebellious Eagle
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
:crying2: Every time I click on this thread I hope there's some big announcement.

Same here, but I'm always disappointed. :(

Elskidor
07-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I keep waiting for some news, but a year has past and still nothing. What a shame. Maybe this time next year we will have heard something new.

ReloadPsi
07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing more violence in a remake. There were a few scenes that were less effective because frankly they looked silly on account of some of the graphical limitations. (Saying that, I do love how there were so many poses for each character that they could be depicted doing almost anything; FF6 is my favourite game graphically and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Amano's artwork.)

For example, Kefka appearing to club Gestahl over the head to knock him down... is that what he's doing? Or is he cutting him down with the same invisible sword he handed to Celes?

Actually knowing what the crap is going on in the Thamasa Massacre scene would be nice too, it leaves a bit too much to the imagination; Kefka suddenly has this beam attack that turns Espers into Magicite... what? More detail plz.

This thread sure has survived a long time :p

Wolf Kanno
08-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Every time I see this thread, I always remember this post (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2164079-post3.html) and hope that someday I may get someone to come in here looking for the false information I provided. ;)

Although, while cruising the web I did find this amusing site for anyone who cares.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ffxiremake

Avarice-ness
08-12-2009, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing more violence in a remake. There were a few scenes that were less effective because frankly they looked silly on account of some of the graphical limitations. (Saying that, I do love how there were so many poses for each character that they could be depicted doing almost anything; FF6 is my favourite game graphically and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Amano's artwork.)

For example, Kefka appearing to club Gestahl over the head to knock him down... is that what he's doing? Or is he cutting him down with the same invisible sword he handed to Celes?

Actually knowing what the crap is going on in the Thamasa Massacre scene would be nice too, it leaves a bit too much to the imagination; Kefka suddenly has this beam attack that turns Espers into Magicite... what? More detail plz.

This thread sure has survived a long time :p

I agree with that.

Not only the violence, the game over all had a pretty dark tone that you sometimes couldn't see throughout the game, somehow people seem to also miss that every character other than like Umaro, Mog, Relm, and Strago had some kind of inner tormoil, granted somes were much more obvious than others, but it still existed.

I think that if this was remade, the darkness of the game over all, the despair the world is in even when it's in the world of balance, would be something that would just put people who never really put much thought into the game, in awe.

We all know this is my favorite game ever, but this game is like a book or movie to me, if you just ignore some of the cheesey things and put more thought onto the things that had a little more explanation, it's freaking golden cake just shining in front of you.

There is so much to this game, they could even add things into this without really screwing up the story line or character stories. Example, the way Locke acted with Celes being held clearly made him react. I think in the game when he talks about it, it's basically like, rachel makes him leave and then he talks about her getting killed while in the hands of the empire. I'd have to imagine, within reason, that he most likely tried to go find her, and either found her dead, or in the state Celes' was in, but more dead. He obviously got Rachel's body to the crazy guy to keep alive, because I doubt the empire was like "Oh we'll send her corpse back to the family so they can have a funeral", I would love to see that unfold.

I would also love to see more of Leo, the interactions between Celes and Leo and Kefka around the time of Terra being controlled. Flashbacks of when Kefka underwent the magic transfusion and lost his mind, and eventually his rise to the top (because it's been argued that he's a general, but then it's also said he was just a court-mage and why would a court-mage be like Ghestal's right hand man?).
With graphics, it would make the flashbacks better, Ghestal 19 years earlier taking the baby Terra, to the elderly Ghestal we seem to see in the game.

Wolf Kanno
08-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, last night I was looking for some good artwork of Setzer for the Hot Guys of Gaming contest in General Gaming and came upon a really good artist who did some fantastic artwork for VI. Yet some of the pictures did have me wondering about a few things that may have gone on behind the scenes of the game.

The three most notable was Shadow and Relm's relationship, and whether they may have had any real interaction with each other while on the team.

Another was Setzer's relationship with Celes which seemed a little too fangirl pairing til I remembered that Setzer takes Locke's place in the ending if you didn't get him back. This makes me wonder if there may have been a possibility that more was going on between these two in the story.

The last was Kefka's relationship with Terra and Celes. Dissidia itself explores a bit more of their relationship together but I also remember back on the floating continent how much Ghestal and Kefka spoke of Celes as if she was family. I once again would wonder if we may see a flashback detailing the nature of all their relationships.

These are the things I would be curious to see added in a remake as long as we don't get some major plot twist added that kinda screws with the original story...

Avarice-ness
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, last night I was looking for some good artwork of Setzer for the Hot Guys of Gaming contest in General Gaming and came upon a really good artist who did some fantastic artwork for VI. Yet some of the pictures did have me wondering about a few things that may have gone on behind the scenes of the game.

The three most notable was Shadow and Relm's relationship, and whether they may have had any real interaction with each other while on the team.

Another was Setzer's relationship with Celes which seemed a little too fangirl pairing til I remembered that Setzer takes Locke's place in the ending if you didn't get him back. This makes me wonder if there may have been a possibility that more was going on between these two in the story.

The last was Kefka's relationship with Terra and Celes. Dissidia itself explores a bit more of their relationship together but I also remember back on the floating continent how much Ghestal and Kefka spoke of Celes as if she was family. I once again would wonder if we may see a flashback detailing the nature of all their relationships.

These are the things I would be curious to see added in a remake as long as we don't get some major plot twist added that kinda screws with the original story...

Agree'd. And for some reason, I see Celes, Leo, and Kefka having a sibling like relationship.

I can't seem to want to add Terra into the equation only because of her comatose like state when she was under control. Also, was she ALWAYS under control, I'd have to imagine that if she was raised by the empire, the need to control her wasn't always there.

Oh as for the Celes thing, since I am quite the "OMG I LOVE ANYTHING WITH CELES AND LOCKE AND LOVE LIFES", It could be possible that if you didn't get Locke, more of a relationship blossomed with Setzer. Daryl was blonde haired blue eyes, which makes us believe that she looked like the Opera singer, which Celes looked just like, and when you get Setzer, it's pretty obvious that he admired Celes for basically fooling him. So I don't think it would be to far fetched to believe that if Locke didn't come back, Setzer wouldn't try some moves. We just didn't get to see it!

Wolf Kanno
08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I always felt she may have been always under control or at least since she was very young. I do wonder how her relationship was with Kefka as it seems these two spent more time together and both Celes and Leo don't seem to want to talk to Terra about her time in the Empire.

I can also see Leo, Kefka, and Celes having a deeper relationship than first thought.

Editga: Here's some of the pictures I found that were totally awesome. :cool:

30594 30595 30596

30597 30598

Avarice-ness
08-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I always felt she may have been always under control or at least since she was very young. I do wonder how her relationship was with Kefka as it seems these two spent more time together and both Celes and Leo don't seem to want to talk to Terra about her time in the Empire.

I can also see Leo, Kefka, and Celes having a deeper relationship than first thought.

Editga: Here's some of the pictures I found that were totally awesome. :cool:

30594 30595 30596

30597 30598

Ah, I love the Terra Edgar pairing. It seems to be the most popular Terra pairing.

But yeah, I do find that Leo and Celes seem to just.. either not mention or barely mention anything about Terra being in the empire with them. I don't know if it's one of those things where they just don't want to talk about it because it's pointless because she doesn't remember. But if she was controlled all her life, you would think that since she had no memory, she would have asked about it.

When Terra and Celes meet, they seem to coexist as if they had no past with each other what so ever, when it's pretty apparent (cut-scenes) that they have been around each other in the past.
Terra's first question to Celes is if she could feel love, now I know the game has it's cheesey moments, but the game does know what being awkward is at times and makes awkward moments pretty apparent. Now Celes was kinda weirded out by the question but I don't think it was because Terra was asking it, it was because she had her own personal issues on love.
Which then leads me to believe that at some point if Terra is okay with just be like "OH HAY YOU LIKE PEOPLE YES?" that maybe Celes was some kind of older sister figure when the chance was given to her.
But at the same time, Terra was going through alot and at that point Celes was the only female, and Terra prolly felt she could associate with her.

Either way, the way Celes and Terra are, with the pure coexisting like they've always been around each other (which only Celes would remember) but never talking about their past together, always weirded me out. There's either more to it, or less to it. xD

Skyblade
08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Every time I see this thread, I always remember this post (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2164079-post3.html) and hope that someday I may get someone to come in here looking for the false information I provided. ;)

Although, while cruising the web I did find this amusing site for anyone who cares.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ffxiremake

Actually, I really liked your later post in that thread. I so want someone to do a Rikku/Lulu fanart with them in Victorian costumes now.

Wolf Kanno
08-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Ah, I love the Terra Edgar pairing. It seems to be the most popular Terra pairing.

But yeah, I do find that Leo and Celes seem to just.. either not mention or barely mention anything about Terra being in the empire with them. I don't know if it's one of those things where they just don't want to talk about it because it's pointless because she doesn't remember. But if she was controlled all her life, you would think that since she had no memory, she would have asked about it.

When Terra and Celes meet, they seem to coexist as if they had no past with each other what so ever, when it's pretty apparent (cut-scenes) that they have been around each other in the past.
Terra's first question to Celes is if she could feel love, now I know the game has it's cheesey moments, but the game does know what being awkward is at times and makes awkward moments pretty apparent. Now Celes was kinda weirded out by the question but I don't think it was because Terra was asking it, it was because she had her own personal issues on love.
Which then leads me to believe that at some point if Terra is okay with just be like "OH HAY YOU LIKE PEOPLE YES?" that maybe Celes was some kind of older sister figure when the chance was given to her.
But at the same time, Terra was going through alot and at that point Celes was the only female, and Terra prolly felt she could associate with her.

Either way, the way Celes and Terra are, with the pure coexisting like they've always been around each other (which only Celes would remember) but never talking about their past together, always weirded me out. There's either more to it, or less to it. xD

Terra and Edgar is not too bad of a pairing though I sadly can't see it working out. I feel Terra's journey is more of coming to terms with her mixed heritage and understanding her human side while Edgar is a hopeless flirt who will take on anything that doesn't turn him down and even then pursue. Yet deep down I can see him backing off on Terra cause she's a sweet girl who hardly needs a heartbreaker like himself in her life.

As for Terra and Celes' relationship. I either imagine Celes is like Leo who tries to ignore what the Empire did to her or more likely that Celes was not part of the military as long as we imagine since her conversation with Terra at Narshe gives the impression that Celes only knows about Terra from the rumors spread. Chances are that Terra may have exclusively been Kefka's ward.

Actually, I really liked your later post in that thread. I so want someone to do a Rikku/Lulu fanart with them in Victorian costumes now.

I'm talking about the ugly dresses. The kind that cover you from your feet to the top of your neck. Though it would be amusing... ;)

Avarice-ness
08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
As for Terra and Celes' relationship. I either imagine Celes is like Leo who tries to ignore what the Empire did to her or more likely that Celes was not part of the military as long as we imagine since her conversation with Terra at Narshe gives the impression that Celes only knows about Terra from the rumors spread. Chances are that Terra may have exclusively been Kefka's ward.

Celes: So you were born with the power of Magic!? Isn't it a lovely
gift...
Terra: You... can use Magic, too?
Celes: When I was a baby I was artificially infused with Magic, and raised
as a Magitek Knight.
Terra: Have you... loved anyone?

Later on..

Cid: Celes... I've known her since she was a baby. I raised her as if
she were my own daughter! But she was forced to become a Magitek Knight, and has done some awful things. If I could only talk to her... I'd apologize for the way her life has turned out.

Wolf Kanno
08-14-2009, 01:17 AM
I never said Celes wasn't part of the Empire, she just wasn't a soldier for as long as we imagine. I would like to think the first half of her life was spent learning and harnessing her powers rather than training to kill. Terra on the other hand was probably a test subject for the first half of her life.

I was just trying to say that these circumstances may have been a good enough excuse as to why they don't know each other very well. ;)

Trumpet Thief
08-28-2009, 03:23 AM
I'd love a remake :D

As long as the graphics "overhaul" still ends up keeping that same style that FFVI had in the past. And yes, the Figaro's do need to be nerfed.

NeoCracker
08-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Sabin is actually one of the games weakest characters when you get down to it.

Any Blitz from Aura Bolt and beyond run of Sabin's weakest stat, magic, not his strength. Pair that with his horrid equpment selection, and then there are so many characters more effective then he. Especially Ceres and Terra with their Minerva Bustier.

Still use Sabin though, cause he's the man.

Trumpet Thief
08-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Sabin is actually one of the games weakest characters when you get down to it.

Any Blitz from Aura Bolt and beyond run of Sabin's weakest stat, magic, not his strength. Pair that with his horrid equpment selection, and then there are so many characters more effective then he. Especially Ceres and Terra with their Minerva Bustier.

Still use Sabin though, cause he's the man.

Well you have the facts on your side, so I'll have to agree, BUT you can't deny that when you get him and later on for a good chunk of the game his Blitz attacks put him way ahead of the other characters. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Despite working off his magic stat (which can be artificially raised mind you and quickly...) the damage modifiers for several of his Blitz, especially Bum Rush are set quite high to sorta compensate for this. Throw in it cost nothing to use and you got yourself a mini Ultima at no mp cost. He's definetly broken especially since many of his earlier abilites are also quite powerful allowing him to do normal 2 to 4 times damage at early points of the game. Yes he evens out by a certain point but then you have the espers to use and then he's back in the game. His weapons are not great but seriously, would who uses his regular attacks? Its like caring about Edgar's equipment, he hardly benefits since Chainsaw is unholy. :cool:

To be perfectly fair, the whole game needs to be tweaked and nerfed a bit. ;)

blackmage_nuke
08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Ive always wanted to see a full cgi musical movie based on the opera scene set 1000 years in the past during the war of the magi which loosely mirrors the events of final fantasy vi. Not that relevant to this topic but thought i might say it (or maybe i have and forgot about it)

ReloadPsi
09-01-2009, 09:40 AM
After seeing what Kefka is like in Dissidia, I definitely want to see a remake of some sort. With voices. Something I often don't particularly care for.

gk2012
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, a remake similar to Dissidia's graphics would be great. I just hope they keep green-haired Terra. :D

Wolf Kanno
01-26-2010, 05:06 AM
If you Google the topic of FFVI Remake, this thread pops up first. :D

Jiro
01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Mr Wolf Kanno, you should know better than to necro a thread. However because of that fantastic rumour post you made earlier, I'm willing to let it slide.

The Man
01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Fifteen weeks isn't really that much of a necro.

Wolf Kanno
01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Mr Wolf Kanno, you should know better than to necro a thread. However because of that fantastic rumour post you made earlier, I'm willing to let it slide.

I feel there is still some life in this thread and Nomura was talking about revisiting an old series with a big announcement this year. Though I doubt its a VI remake (or even a port) it doesn't hurt to speculate. :p

RedPouch
01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I feel there is still some life in this thread and Nomura was talking about revisiting an old series with a big announcement this year. Though I doubt its a VI remake (or even a port) it doesn't hurt to speculate. :p
Just in case it is an FF VI remake, then I hope it's not done in the same style as IV or III for the DS. For once, I'd like to see them do an actual, masterpiece remake and take it seriously. I'm sick of remakes of older games getting shafted with balloon-head polygons, bad music remixes and shoddier-than-usual voice acting. Of course, this obviously isn't going to happen, but it would be nice to see.

The Man
01-29-2010, 06:08 AM
I've been saying for years that FFVI should be remade for the PS3 if it gets remade at all. That's also probably the only way I'll ever end up buying one at this rate.

Mezlabor
02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I would love a FF6 remake. Id take it anyways they give it to me. I'd prefer an hd 2d PS3/xbox 360 one but Id settle for a ds remake.

Dignified Pauper
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
I've been saying for years that FFVI should be remade for the PS3 if it gets remade at all. That's also probably the only way I'll ever end up buying one at this rate.

This. I think they could do a masterpiece of a game with an FFVI remake on PS3. It'll probably goto DS though.

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
It would be Kitase probably doing the game and I find it difficult he would limit his "cinematic technique" with the DS. I'm thinking it might be a PSP remake and to possibly expect Crisis Core/Dissidia graphics. He tends to gravitate towards bigger hardware cause he loves movie style cutscenes. The sad thing is, he might not do a VI remake cause despite being one of his first games he worked on creatively, its not the one closest to his heart. Not to mention its popularity is more with the NA audience than Japan and PAL. :(

Then again, the FF brand has been the avenue for the biggest sales for SE so Wada might force the development teams to make a remake of FFV through IX over the course of the next decade. I don't expect to hear anything for a few more years though. It will depend on if a FFV remake gets announced but I can see SE skipping V-VII and jumping to VIII and IX first just because those games have in their minds, broader appeal in the global market.

VorpalCyberWolf
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I also feel it should be a home console remake if there is to be a remake, but with the way Squeenix has shown it likes to do business, it will likely be on the DS akin to the FFIV Remake.

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2010, 09:33 PM
The problem with making a DS remake is that the DS has yet to prove it can emulate the detailed graphics of a game like FFVI or CT. I'm concerned a VI remake on DS would actually be a graphical downgrade as a lot of detail would be lost in the backgrounds and sprites. III and IV have archaic graphics that were great for their time so having less detailed graphics for some things is actually still an improvement over their 2D incarnations.

While VI may be showing its age and in the era of 2D sprites its no Chrono Trigger, its still a game that utilizes a level of detail and scale in its design that I find it very difficult to believe the DS could pull it off, hell I'm actually speculating whether the PSP could make a true remake without modifying or creating some low grade concessions to make it work (human character models only used for cutscenes while in game is restricted to chibi form akin to the original, showing a smaller portion of the field/dungeon map during gameplay, Chibi sprites for battles or possibly cutting down the number of characters to three or most likely go the DS III/IV route and lower the number of enemy sprites on the field you can battle). To be fair, if they did remake VI they may have to redesign the game just so it can have high quality graphics and minor load times at the same time. Doing a true port on a handheld may result in them downgrading a lot of the quality of the original. To be fair, I feel FFV may suffer from a similar problem.

Ultimately, choosing the console to release such a game is going to heavily impact the quality of the title.

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 09:22 AM
That shouldn't be a problem actually. Apparently, FF III is 64 MB compressed, FF IV 83 MB compressed, while Kingdom Hearts 358/2 is about 200~ish MB compressed. I'm quite confident that possible FF V and FF VI remakes for the DS wouldn't be a problem graphics-wise. I don't know exactly how much capacity a DS cartridge has, but after googling some info it seems to be in the region of 512 MB to 1 GB. If anyone can find an absolute 100% answer to this, some information and a source would be good, because I'm actually pretty curious about it myself. In terms of processing, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 runs just fine and graphically looks quite good considering, so I don't think a possible FF VI remake has anything to worry about.

Wolf Kanno
02-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm concerned about the size of the games and the consistency of a high quality design. 358/2 may be a graphical marvel for the DS it also cuts a lot of corner and many of the Worlds you go to come off as low grade versions of their counterparts and others seem completely empty until Boss battles.

Its possible to pull it off with V and VI but I have a feeling an exact port might be more troublesome and SE would redesign places in a format similar to their Playstation brethren, even then I feel the quality while horribly impressive for the DS might not be up to par for fans. Redesigning certain story sequences as cutscenes (even just using in game models) will also cause a few issues especially since VI is a bit more story heavy than 358/2.

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm concerned about the size of the games and the consistency of a high quality design. 358/2 may be a graphical marvel for the DS it also cuts a lot of corner and many of the Worlds you go to come off as low grade versions of their counterparts and others seem completely empty until Boss battles.
This is true, however based on what I'm reading , then the size of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 could be doubled without exceeding the cartridge limit. That's promising, isn't it? Modern flash drives can contain amazingly high amounts of space considering their small size [finding one with a capacity of 16 GB is normal, and a new state-of-the-art model can hold 256 GB], so DS cartridges shouldn't be [I]too far off from that. However, I don't want anything I'm saying to be taken for granted because I can't seem to get any kind of confirmation at all on how much space a modern DS cartridge is actually capable of holding. If anybody can get any info on this, I'd be grateful.

Arthurdent_78
03-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I will bet just about anything that this is what Squeenix was waiting for!

They say its supposed to be released before March 2011 (in Japan), less than a year away, and what better game(s) to launch the system with than a remake of FFV and, possibly, FFVI?!

Nintendo Announces New Hardware, The Nintendo 3DS - Top - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-announces-new-hardware-the-nintendo-3ds)

GoNintendo - Archives (http://gonintendo.com/storylist.php?t=102)

bipper
03-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Thought I replied to this already?

As good as the game looks, it is not official. These people are looking for an official prequel.

bipper
03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Never meant to make it sound like it had to be. However, a fan based game will simply be a fan-based game.

It is simple, and it is all I am implying.

Flying Mullet
03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Square-Enix hasnt been making any good Final Fantasy games since FF-X came out.
Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard this statement.

Zaskull
04-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Square-Enix hasnt been making any good Final Fantasy games since FF-X came out.
Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard this statement.

I wouldn't say they've been bad, maybe just sub-par. But it's all based on opinion >.>

Slothy
04-02-2010, 02:04 PM
So maybe this guy will make FFVI-2 better than Square-Enix can. So why does something have to be offical?

This isn't the first time anyone's tried to make a fan prequel or sequel or remake to Square games and they all end the same way. I expect a cease and desist letter will go out the second Square gets wind of this.

No.78
04-02-2010, 04:50 PM
(Yeah, I'm not cycling through ten pages so forgive me if I say what others have said).

I would LOVE a FF6 remake!!! It would make me spunk myself. I would much prefer like a full-fledged PS3 remake instead of damn 7, but beggers can't be choosers. It will probably be a DS remake, if the pattern continues and they remake 5, then 6 will be next. 5 hasn't been announced yet, but I can wait because I love 5 too so it's all good.

Will most probably be for DS, it better not be for PSP because those things are expensive and I've already missed out on Dissidia because of it. Square, no one has a PSP!!! So, DS or PS3 would suit me... PS3 remake of 6 would just be genius.

Arthurdent_78
04-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Squeenix said they would most likely not remake a game on the scale of FFVI-XII on PS3 as the amount of time for games of that size, detail, and length would be too much. This was during an interview regarding FFXIII.

What I don't understand, however, is that FFXIV is an MMORPG. Therefore it probably has a gigantic world with many characters. I would think that making that took just as long, if not longer, than an FFVI remake would, but I am not a game designer, so I don't know.

Also, as I posted a few posts ago, Nintendo is releasing a new handheld console. Currently its called the 3DS. It uses parallax-barrier technology (most likely made by Sharp, who just announced that they will begin production on 3.4" parallax-barrier 3D screens with and without touch screen capability) to provide 3D screens without the need for those mildly annoying glasses. Also, the system is supposed to have an analog control stick, cartridges with much higher storage capacity, vibration capability, motion sensing, and graphics on par with the GameCube.

Nintendo 3DS to feature 3.4-inch Sharp parallax barrier display? -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/nintendo-3ds-to-feature-3-4-inch-sharp-parallax-barrier-display/)

Thus, my thought is that Squeenix probably knew this system was in the works and was waiting to remake FFV and FFVI (and perhaps...dare I say it, FFVII) for this system. Imagine... FFVI with PS2/XBOX/GameCube quality graphics, and in 3D!

Skyblade
04-03-2010, 02:12 AM
That would be...gutsy. If it works, it will be a huge hardware edge that will blow the PSP away completely. I've hated the 3D trend, but have kept my eye on Parallax Barrier displays (though so far, I thought they were cost-prohibitive). If Nintendo is going to roll one out on a handheld, it would be the biggest jump in hardware they've ever had on their competition, and probably the biggest graphic boost on any system since the switch from sprites to polygons. If they have an affordable parallax display for a handheld, and a graphics engine that can use it with comparable graphics to the Gamecube or PS2, they might just crush the HD phase of gaming right there (slim chance maybe, but a chance).

No.78
04-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Well if that's the case we're gonna have to wait a real long time before the FFV/VI remakes! This new handheld must be ages away, I still feel like the DS is new.

Oddly enough all I can think about now is a 5th Pokemon Gen, lol. No but I can't wait for any potential FFV/VI remakes. They're my fave out of the 'Retro 6'.

Arthurdent_78
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Actually, its supposed to be released sometime before early 2011, possibly even before the holidays this year. They think Nintendo's had it in the works for a while now, but was forced to announce it to stave off a possible leak. They say it will be playable at E3 this summer!

Arthurdent_78
04-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Personally, I'm looking forward to 3D Zelda the most! But the prospect of a 3D FFVI is really exciting too. I kinda wish they had waited to put out FFIV on this though...

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Holy crap, this info has been out for two weeks (http://square-enix-news.newslib.com/story/5218-3211944/) and no one has reported it?

So it looks like Squenix is thinking about remaking FFV and VI for DS but can't for technology issues so either they may get PSP ports or SE is holding out for the 3DS to keep them on Nintendo consoles. Thoughts?

Flying Mullet
05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
If they were to do another handheld remake, I would prefer it be on the DS because I'm not buying any more systems and I might want to check it out.

Beowulf
05-21-2010, 05:14 AM
The only thing, in my opinion, that they should do with this game as far as a remake is just possibly port it to either PSP or the DS. Maybe even the PSN/Nintendo game store? Not redo the graphics or anything, just make it available for newer systems. I love the game, entirely how it is. The graphics, the famous lines (SON OF A SUBMARINER!) and everything. It's perfect. :D

Yar
05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
The only thing, in my opinion, that they should do with this game as far as a remake is just possibly port it to either PSP or the DS. Maybe even the PSN/Nintendo game store? Not redo the graphics or anything, just make it available for newer systems. I love the game, entirely how it is. The graphics, the famous lines (SON OF A SUBMARINER!) and everything. It's perfect. :DIt's on the GBA and [most] DS's have a GBA slot.

Beowulf
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Really? Huh. Didn't get nearly the media hype as the release of Final Fantasy III on the DS did....I'll have to ebay the cartridge, then. It's probably dirt cheap.

Wolf Kanno
06-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Just a heads up, looks like Hashimoto is keeping the remake dream alive (http://square-enix-news.newslib.com/story/5218-3212047/)and its looking like SE is holding out for the 3DS.

Rebellious Eagle
06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
So there's still hope? I think Square would be doing itself a favor by remaking VI, seeing as so many people want it. :/

blackmage_nuke
06-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I really didnt want to get a 3DS :eep:

The Man
06-27-2010, 04:14 AM
To be honest I'll probably end up buying whatever system they remake this game for.

Rostum
06-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I will definitely have to get a 3DS then.

qwertysaur
06-28-2010, 05:16 AM
I really didnt want to get a 3DS :eep:
But there are so many great games already planned for it. This would just seal the deal :p

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2010, 06:04 AM
I have to agree ^^

Atlus is promising both a MegaTen title and a Persona game for the system and Konami is already working on porting one of my favorite games of all time (MGS3) for the system. A V and VI remake for the system just seals the deal for me, not to mention a new KH definetly sweetens the pot.

dunit697
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I played the 3DS at e3, it looks great, the 3D thing with no glasses is no hype, and star fox 64, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 3D in addition to others mentions...If VI came out for it, and they added cutscenes of kefka fighting in 3D...Holy SHIZ, I am already gonna cosplay him at AX this year, and hopefull years to come...maybe one day everyone will know my name! *Insert kefka bit laugh here*

Dignified Pauper
06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Um, if this is made for 3DS... unless it is beautiful, I will not get it, and that's hard for me to swallow. I just hate gimmicks, and I feel like 3D in games is going to be gimmicky rather than immersive.

VeloZer0
06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Just because it is on the 3DS doesn't mean it has to be 3D. All my favorite DS games don't even use the touch screen.

Slothy
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Does anyone really expect non-3D games to appear on the 3DS though?

Given the 3D aspect will pretty much be its biggest selling point, I'd be surprised if Nintendo approves any non-3D titles, at least for a while.

NeoCracker
06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
It's a really powerful handheld system, so the games will look good. The 3D effect will depend on the game more then the system. For example, Coraline is a beautiful movie, and 3D was used to make some of the stuff cooler looking, mind you it isn't what made Coraline good.

As long as game developers take that approach to the 3D technology, all will be good. :p

VeloZer0
07-01-2010, 03:13 AM
I'm fairly sure if SE came to Nintendo and said "we have FF6 ready to go, here is the huge sack of money you have coming from royalties" they would find it in their hearts to let it be published. Its not like Nintendo quality control means anything nowadays.

FF6 is the type of title people will buy a console for, thus increasing their install base.

ljkkjlcm9
07-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Let's not forget that the 3-d feature is adjustable and even able to be turned off. On top of that, if a publisher decides not to do a 3-d game, that gives them more processing power to just have a better looking flat game.

THE JACKEL

Wolf Kanno
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned about SE abusing 3D (http://square-enix-news.newslib.com/story/5218-3212042/)

Though the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be a good way to simulate the Mode 7 effects during airship travel.

I'm just impressed the 3DS is powerful enough to play MGS3, a game most people still can't believe the PS2 can actually play. That's some seriously powerful handheld hardware we're talking about. I just hope they keep the Opera scene interactive and not relegate it to a complete custscene if they go that route.

VeloZer0
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I just hope they keep the Opera scene interactive and not relegate it to a complete custscene if they go that route.
Oh god, I just had a vision of watching a 10 minute long boring as hell opera scene. One of those ones where the person making the FMV is so proud of their work they can't help but think people are just going to never want it to end.

Thanks for ruining my morning.

blackmage_nuke
07-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I hope they dont decide to put an opera voice in the opera scene.

ixionvi2
07-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Hey guys, what do you think about this ffvi remake, it is not a rom hack, but is actuly made from scratch
YouTube - Final Fantasy VI-2 Bahamut X (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LqZP20ne8)

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I liked the War of the Magi video in the listing as well. ;)

Dignified Pauper
07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about SE abusing 3D (http://square-enix-news.newslib.com/story/5218-3212042/)

Though the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be a good way to simulate the Mode 7 effects during airship travel.

I'm just impressed the 3DS is powerful enough to play MGS3, a game most people still can't believe the PS2 can actually play. That's some seriously powerful handheld hardware we're talking about. I just hope they keep the Opera scene interactive and not relegate it to a complete custscene if they go that route.

This makes me a happy panda.

dunit697
07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
The problem they were having is that ff6 is too big a file for the 3DS cartridge, at least the latest updates I have heard at ax, I am down for multiple cartridges, I kinda miss it from 7-9. Makes you feel like you really got the best game and are accomplishing something...also, 3d adjustible as stated so no complaining there...GIMICKY??? Its friggin 6, so full of lawl moments, the 3D option mixed with a little creativity can be more than fitting...I want to see a cactuar with a mustache in 3d...And the opera scene is amazing, and yes they should put real vocals and a real kefka laugh, I love the sounds too, but this would be a remake, not a recycling bin, u can't just change graphics, everything must be brought to the top, I talked to Nobuo at comic con, he wants 6 or 7 to be remade most, I saw distant worlds perform maria and draco live in english even and it was epic...I know this game has quirks we all love, but this is a full game remake, u don't take stuff out, especially as important as the opera.

Dignified Pauper
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
The problem they were having is that ff6 is too big a file for the 3DS cartridge, at least the latest updates I have heard at ax, I am down for multiple cartridges, I kinda miss it from 7-9. Makes you feel like you really got the best game and are accomplishing something...also, 3d adjustible as stated so no complaining there...GIMICKY??? Its friggin 6, so full of lawl moments, the 3D option mixed with a little creativity can be more than fitting...I want to see a cactuar with a mustache in 3d...And the opera scene is amazing, and yes they should put real vocals and a real kefka laugh, I love the sounds too, but this would be a remake, not a recycling bin, u can't just change graphics, everything must be brought to the top, I talked to Nobuo at comic con, he wants 6 or 7 to be remade most, I saw distant worlds perform maria and draco live in english even and it was epic...I know this game has quirks we all love, but this is a full game remake, u don't take stuff out, especially as important as the opera.

They never said anything about the game being to big for the 3DS cart, it was the standard DS cart they worried about.

dunit697
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
saw that yesterday, ur right there, misinformation, the rest stands

Wolf Kanno
08-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Found an amusing blog (http://spawnkill.com/2010/05/26/remaking-final-fantasy-vi-amano-style/) that talked about the idea of wanting the VI remake to be done to Amano's style of art.

Since I figure it will be another year before SE releases a bit of news about them reconsidering doing a remake of V and VI, I felt it would be nice to create some speculative ideas of what a remake may look like or incorporate.

Christmas
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I hope there is a chance we can have a mini game where we play as Kefka and try to nuke/Kill as many random townspeople as possible. :bigsmile:

I like hunting harmless innocent folks down and slaughter them. :bigsmile:

Omni-Odin
08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
PS3. It would look pretty awesome imo.

Nice
09-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I talked to Nobuo

You are my new hero for the life.

I have mixed feelings about a VI remake. I didn't really like the IV remake. It felt empty at times and the style of the game wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'd really like to see an Amano style of artwork though. That would be cool. In fact, if they can make the game in the style of FF IX, that would be nice. A tribute to the old game and a move forward graphically and sound wise.

Tonberry_King
09-25-2010, 06:42 AM
I have mixed feelings about a VI remake. I didn't really like the IV remake. It felt empty at times and the style of the game wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'd really like to see an Amano style of artwork though. That would be cool. In fact, if they can make the game in the style of FF IX, that would be nice. A tribute to the old game and a move forward graphically and sound wise.I feel like all FF's, both remakes and new games, should have the style of IX.

Elskidor
10-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Really surprised the game isn't already being made. Hopefully something will be announced this decade.

Spooniest
04-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Hi there I've collected some comments from this thread and here's my perspectives:

Flying Mullet said:

"I'm happy with FFVI the way it is, and a remake isn't necessary for me. I think one of the reasons that people are so hopeful for a FFVII remake is the graphics have a large potential for improving. Part of FFVI's charm for me is the colorful, detailed 2D environments and remaking the game with a new graphical style might not look as good as the original."

I agree with you, and I'll raise you. What I think we'd all love is for the graphical engine to reproduce the quality and detail of Amano's original artwork. They managed 2-D cell animation pretty dang well with War Of The Lions for PSP. The next step is getting a playable game engine to look like that, and still retain the look of hand-drawn animation.

Comet
"FF VI is quite comical, and I think making it realistic would destroy the game's feel."

That's a vaild concern. They can't suck out the sense of humor in the process of upgrading the visuals. Part of what makes this game stand out is that it's got a sense of humor. Again, maintaining the look of hand-drawn characters in the graphic engine should be focused on preserving the sense of humor in the game's presentation.

Justy
"With a remake there'd be voice acting and 3D rendering."

I agree with your first premise and not your second. I don't think 3D rendering is going to produce the kind of effect that a hand-drawn look is. Of course, that kind of industry-bucking attitude would be very hard to maintain for the suits who want to know how you're going to pay for it, dangit, but this is all wild mass guessing anyhoo.

And on the subject of voice, they would need to hire an English-speaking director to supervise the English script recordings...this worked for Metal Gear Solid. Kris Zimmerman turned in a well-acted final product, even if what was on the page was a bit narmy (IMHO).

Dr. Acula
"But if they do make a remake, I want them to change the part where you get Celes, so that the soldiers beat her like in the SNES version. It made the scene much better, IMO."

This is another good point. The mood of Final Fantasy 6, if carried into a realistic depiction like the one we're waxing on about here, would be

T E R R I F Y I N G.

We're talking about some seriously darker and edgier stuff here. People getting beaten. Biological warfare. Starvation. Suicide. Monster Clowns. This would be a surreal pairing of comedy and tragedy, something that requires subtlety in a director.

Wolf Kanno
"Granted I feel not playing a game due to graphics is kinda silly but I also understand the fact that part of the charm is the nostalgia. Seriously, try to finish the game. 2D holds up way better than 3D"

I don't think it's silly, I think it's what drives innovation in this industry. The trick is, everyone right now is going for a smoother look. Final Fantasy Tactics War Of The Lions' 2-D animated cutscenes were not smooth. They were like animated rough pencil-drawings. If they can craft a graphics engine that can do that with playable characters, that'd be some trick indeed, woudln't it? I'd play that. Would you?

Tevious
"The problem with jumping to a current gen console is the production costs. Let's face it, as cool as it would be to have SE go full out and remake the classic FFs on the PS3, they're highly unlikely to do it. They'll want a quick buck, so they'll put the remakes on a handheld because it won't cost them much to do it, it'll still sell, and they can even contract it out to another developer so they can continue with the series instead of revisiting old ones. Although, its plausible that they could do it on the Wii."

And someone comes up with a perfectly good question: where's the money gonna come from? One has to wonder how well Square Enix is doing these days...they don't really have much in the way of innovation anymore. They'd have to figure out how to push the current hardware or perhaps this could be a way for them to break into the PC market. I understand the previous statement might be considered ridiculous by lots of people, but if we're wild mass guessing, we're wild mass guessing.

The scope of this game is epic. They'd have real bragging rights if they managed to modernize the story. I don't think the gameplay needs much changing, though the GBA remake's extras certainly couldn't hurt to include. The key factors here are graphical presentation and another little thing I'd like to bring up called SPEED.

SNES Final Fantasy 6 is a jittery little caffeinated SOB. It's FAST. The character's attack animations take one second, and the monsters don't have attack animations other than a half-second flash. Even the summons are relatively quick, seeming to have a cap of about four seconds (rough guess). The temptation that Squaresoft, back in the days of their first PSX game development phase, gave in to was to sacrifice that speed for graphical detail. Now, the shoe is on the other foot. Trying to make something that looks like an animated, controllable pencil drawing animate fast and responsive to player input has got to be high on the list of programmer nightmares. But then again, all it takes is money and time.

If they could pull it off, though...they'd have super bragging rights for being THE enthusiast's game developer.

Carl the Llama
04-29-2011, 12:40 AM
I personally think that the art style I would most like to see a remake in is like that of Breath of Fire IV:

http://retrojrpg.thefannish.org/wp-content/uploads/retrojrpg.thefannish.org/2010/03/bof4_town.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0I2PkHH_qoo/TaHS-NGH3tI/AAAAAAAAA7Y/tBPczzSC03c/s1600/breathoffireiv_pc_02.jpg

Still a charming hand drawn look but decent enough to convey the story and summons (like the dragon system) I think (probably because of my fondness of BoFIV) that this game would be a great game to play in that art style and could easily be handled on DS or PSP and I don't see a reason they should limit the field to on handheld console.

Wolf Kanno
04-29-2011, 03:16 AM
I would have to agree, but then again I also love BoFIV. :love:

I feel a 2D/semi 3D would work okay, technically, using the Dissidia/Crisis Core engine would work pretty well. I'm more concerned about VA work cause frankly I'm not impressed with Terra and Kefka's English VA work overall. Then again Cecil's VA did an upstanding job in IVDS yet his performance in Dissidia was a bit weak as well but it might be th cheesy dialogue.

Hollycat
04-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I disagree with most of what people are saying about the art, I want a realistic look mixed with the art style from that game with the orange wolf. Imagine the WoR will a fully explorable 3d map with the glow of magic in the air. or maybe a kindgom heartsy feel