PDA

View Full Version : chocobo breeding in's out's/need info

mindfray
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
So i read about chocobo breeding and racing. they say you need gold chocobo or other colored chocobo to get to the materia caves and other areas only accessed by such giant bird.

i have read a bit about it on gamefaqs,

how much of a hassle is it? how long could it take to get a gold chocobo if you use in game hours to determine how long it would take?

tell me everything that you know!

ReloadPsi
08-14-2008, 03:47 PM
This depends on how much you like to soft-reset and keep reloading save files in order to get the best possible results. You have to pass a certain stage in the game, but since you've begun to ask you probably already know where that is. Nevertheless...

Got airship? Go to the Chocobo Ranch, and talk to everyone until you're granted the opportunity to rent stables. I hope you've gathered 60,000 Gil because you're probably gonna want all six of them for the sake of ease.

You've got your Chocobo Lure Materia? Cool. Head for Mideel; you're bound to know where it is by now. Find the Chocobo tracks and keep killing off enemies until you run into a Chocobo standing with creatures that look like silver prawns/shrimps. They're called "Spiral"; do not even bother to capture the Chocobo if there is any other kind of enemy present, Spiral is what you want!

Send two of these Chocobos back to your stable, head back to the farm, and save. Go in, ask to put each one in the stable. Choco Billy should remark "This is a great Chocobo!" at which point you choose to put it in the stable. The gender is randomly decided at this point (not when you originally capture it!) so if they're both the same gender, perform a soft-reset with L1, L2, R1, R2, Select and Start. Get used to this, you may be doing it a lot.

Now that you have two "Great" Chocobos of opposite genders, you've got two options:
a) Feed them insane amounts of greens to max out their racing stats (if you've just got the airship you won't be able to race them yet, but you'll still be able to breed them... your gold will just have sucky stats). Then go to the Gold Saucer and keep racing until your rank ascends to such a point that you can no longer win (usually "A" rank with a "great" Chocobo, you'll be lucky to even reach that with a "good" Chocobo but who bothers with those anyway?)
b) Just go right ahead and breed them.

Keep in mind that b) has a lower success rate, but will still work eventually.

Whichever you choose, go to Bone Village (northern continent, southern tip; remember where you excavated the Lunar Harp?) and run around on the plains (not in the forest) nearby. You'll run into a lot of enemies named "Trickplay" but will also encounter a creature named "Vlakorados", which looks like a heavily deformed red deinonychus dinosaur thing. You'll need your Steal Materia equipped: steal a Carob Nut from the bastard and waste him. Repeat until you have three Carob Nuts; if you're lucky, the first or second you kill will also drop one, shortening the process.

Head back to the ranch. Save. Choose to breed your two "great" Chocobos. Give them the Carob Nut when prompted, and with any luck a blue or green Chocobo will be spawned. If not, soft-reset and try again.

Two more forks in the road:

A green Chocobo: take it for a ride, get in the airship, land near Wutai (far western continent) and ride around until you find a cave guarded by a honkin' big mountain with no beach and no grassy plains (hence needing to land the airship elsewhere). Go inside, claim your "Mime" Materia.

A blue Chocobo: ugh, pain in the ass. You can get Quadra Magic with this but it's much better to wait until you have a black one as it's easier. Nevertheless, it's somewhere slightly north-east of Mideel but involves a lot of navigating shallow water until you find a way into a cave. It's easier with a black Chocobo as you can almost run in a straight line, save it for then.

Now go outside the ranch. I think you either have to complete five or ten battles, though I can't remember which. After you've done this, you'll be allowed to breed them again, to allow enough time to pass for the baby chocobo to be old enough to breed and the parents to recover from whatever the hell they're supposed to recover from. Save.

If it is not a chocobo of the other colour and opposite gender, soft-reset and try again. And by the way, yes you're going to be inbreeding them. That's the joy of chocobo breeding! It sometimes helps if you mate the green/blue chocobo to the opposite gender yellow one, as this seems to increase the odds of the other colour coming out.

With your blue and green chocobos ready, you've once again got the option of just breeding them or racing. Do whichever; either way you'll need to fight five/ten battles again to pass them time. Choose to mate blue and green, give them your third Carob Nut. You should now have a black chocobo.

a) Near Corel, there's a river blocking the way to a desert with a cave. It contains the barely useful HP<->MP Materia, mainly put in the game for comic effect; I've only ever found two uses for it.

Now you've gotta catch another chocobo! This time, head to the Icicle Area, and head west. You'll find some more Chocobo tracks, so land on the grass nearby and go for it! This time, you want a Chocobo that's standing with rabbits, named "Jumping", and rabbits only. If any other monster accompanies them (ie wolf things named "Bandersnatch") then waste the Chocobo along with the enemies and try again; the odds are a bit low but the amount of battles it'll take just to capture the bugger will let enough time pass for your final breed, especially considering what you've gotta do next.

Go to the ranch, having caught your Chocobo whose bunny friends you murdered. Save. Choco Billy will declare that it's "...a wonderful Chocobo!" and you'll get to put it in the stable. If you captured the wrong one, he'll state that he "really can't recommend this one" and you'll look like a cretin. It needs to be the opposite gender to your black Chocobo so soft-reset if it's not.

Overfeed them? Race them? Do as you please. But you're not ready for breeding yet!

Fly northest of the Chocobo Ranch, and on the map you'll see a small island with some forests. Land, and open the menu. Does it say "Goblin Island"? Goody! Run around until you meet some Goblins, and steal a "Zeio Nut" from one.

Fly back, save. Breed your black Chocobo to your "wonderful" Chocobo. If a Gold one does not come out, swear at your TV and soft-reset, keep trying until you've got it.

Now take your gold Chocobo for a ride, and head as far northeast as you can on the map, taking care not to loop over the edge. There'll be an island surrounded by mountains and full of forest; there's no way you could land an airship there!

Go inside the cave and procure your Knights Of The Round Materia. Reportedly, in the early days of the PS3, this summon actually slowed the machine down! It could even kick the crap out of the PS3!

Now, if you fed and raced your Chocobos, and likewise have overfed your gold Chocobo, it will have godlike stats and you'll never lose a race. Have fun racking up the GP at the races, you'll need it for the Battle Arena in order to get W-Summon and Omnislash, as well as for Speed Square for Cid's Flayer.

Hope that helps!

TheSpoonyBard
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
It's not much of a hassle at all and you could get it done in a couple of hours. The basic formula is

Great + Great + Carob Nut + combined total of 4 race wins = 50% Blue, 50% Green
Blue + Green + Carob Nut + combined total of 9 race wins = 100% Black
Black + Wonderful + Zeio Nut + combined total of 12 race wins = 100% Gold

You need to fight between three and eighteen battles before a newborn can mate and between three and ten before a parent can mate again, but even then the process shouldn't take too long.

Saber
08-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Return to the chocobo ranch once you have the highwind. Buy the stables and some greens, note theres a free chocobo lore in the area. Go to either gold saucer area or mideel. Put on the lure materia and walk on the foot prints. Catch four and return to the ranch. Now you need to look for the great or good chocobos. Invite them to a stable and go find some carob nuts from Vlakorados near bone village. you need three total if you use soft reset. Next go to the chocobo sage and buy some Reagan (99) and feed them to your chocobos. Now you need to race them in the gold saucer. get to rank A or B then breed them to get either a blue or green. then feed them the reagan greens and race them up to A or B too. Mate them and get a black chocobo. Now go near icical inn and find chocobos in that area. you need a wonderful chocobo. feed race and breed the new ones, but you'll need a zeio nut from the goblins on the island north east on the map. then you got a gold chocobo. now you can go to every materia cave there is.

cloud21zidane16
08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Theres already enough information above so i wont explain.
It may take some time on your first go though, just have patience and keep at it:choc2:

mindfray
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
ok i got the airshiop and i'm about to do the last huge materia quest with teh shinra sub. what is the earliest point i can breed up a gold chocobo? disk 3? or sooner?

cloud21zidane16
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Once Cloud is back in your party after the Mideel events you can get the gold chocobo:choc2:

mindfray
08-29-2008, 08:26 PM
ok I'm not getting any chocobos on the mideel or gold saucer tracks. not seeing any prawns near mideel only head hunters. and the only two monster i keep seeing near gold saucer are the big seahorse guys who throw the sickes the jokers, and the little baby sea horse things lol.

my chocobo lure is only at the first star. is that my problem? do i need to master the chocbo lure?

if need i could equip a double growth item and hunt in mideel forest. but i dont want to wait till i beat diamond weapon to get ragnarok because i want to use knights of the round on him!

whats the issue?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\
ok i caught three chocobos outside of gold saucer, sent them back to the ranch, saved outside teh ranch, walked in and selected move chocobos and it said they were all average. so i soft reset walk back into the ranch and choose move to stables again, they were still all average chocobos..... am i doing something wrong?

cloud21zidane16
08-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Okay to make things easier ive copied the first part of this from another site;)

:choc2::choc2:Catch a male and a female Good chocobo in the Gold Saucer Area.
Catch one male and one female Great chocobo in Mideel Area
Feed and train your four chocobos. Make them reach class A at least, class S if possible.
Mate the Good female chocobo and the Great male chocobo with a Carob Nut to get the Blue chocobo. After that, release the parents.
Mate the other two chocobos (Good male and Great female) with a Carob Nut to get a Green chocobo. Make sure that the Green chocobo you get is of the opposite sex of the Blue one. After that, release the parents.
Feed and train your Blue and Green chocobos. Make them reach class A at least, class S if possible.
Mate the Blue chocobo and the Green chocobo with a Carob Nut to get a Black Chocobo.
Catch a Wonderful chocobo of the opposite sex of your Black one.
Feed and train your Wonderful and Black chocobos. Make them reach class S.
Mate the Wondeful chocobo and the Black chocobo with a Zeio Nut to get a Gold chocobo.
:choc2::choc2:

The more stars you have to the chocobo lure the more likely you are to get a chococbo in the battle, so level it up maybe.

As for the average chocobo problem, its just bad luck, just keep trying, once you get past this problem youll probably get the types of chocobos you want then find they are both the same sex:mad:
I actually find this part to take the longest and be most frustrating out of the whole process, once you have the chocobos you can just feed them up on Sylkis Greens and theyll be winning races and move to class A-S in no time:)

Just ask if your stuck anymore

Saber
08-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Soft reset isn't gonna change the outcome of the chocobos you've already caught. They are either good or great when you catch them in battle. So let the adverage ones go and try catching more. I've always had good luck with catching chocobos, in fact I remember when I first got a green chocobo I was like what the hell you can get different colors? Then I took it for a rid and found out its secrets. I was pretty surprised.

TheSpoonyBard
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
ok i caught three chocobos outside of gold saucer, sent them back to the ranch, saved outside teh ranch, walked in and selected move chocobos and it said they were all average. so i soft reset walk back into the ranch and choose move to stables again, they were still all average chocobos..... am i doing something wrong?
A chocobo's ranking is predetermined by the enemies they appear with and cannot be changed once caught. Resetting before moving them will only serve to change their gender.

ReloadPsi
08-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I already told you which enemies they should be with. Geez, you kids these days...

If you're "not seeing any" of the enemy you need, then keep looking. Obviously the ones you actually want are gonna be less common.

mindfray
08-30-2008, 06:22 PM
thanks guys, got my gold chocobo. took me a few hours of racing the last wonderfull chocobo cause the black chocobo rider with the 113 speed and 1030 staminia ( not exact on the numbers) kept speeding past me and winning race after race lol

ReloadPsi
08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey, congratulations :p

The most satisfying thing with Knights Of The Round is, on a later run through the game, using it against a boss you found always gave you a hard time. I just wish it were available as early as when you have to fight Schizo -_-

cloud21zidane16
08-31-2008, 04:55 PM
YAY! Well done:)

Cleric
09-18-2008, 03:17 AM
thanks guys, got my gold chocobo. took me a few hours of racing the last wonderfull chocobo cause the black chocobo rider with the 113 speed and 1030 staminia ( not exact on the numbers) kept speeding past me and winning race after race lol

Stupid, stupid TEIOH...he ruined everything for me. Nah j/k. But he does blow. Anyway, I usually start this side quest on disk 2, right after getting the highwind, and then I usually finish it by the time I get the submarine huge materia. i do minimal racing, and green feeding, and pretty much rely on luck to get me through lol.

PeneloRatsbane
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I started with a Wonderful and a Great and it didn't take long to get a gold one.

I had a great one i called Fran
wonderful=Famran
green=Scully
Blue=Mulder
Black=Ashe
and Gold= Jessie.

but the black one turned out to be the best racer