PDA

View Full Version : Is PS3 Backwards Compatible?

GuitarGuy1181
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a 360 which I love, and a PS2.....I am considering getting a PS3, however I am getting conflicting information as to its ability to play PS1 and PS2 games.....info is appreciated, thanks!

Magixion
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Only some versions of them are. I know the 40GB versions are not backwards compatible, as well as the new 80GB bundle they are putting out. Other than those two, I believe the others are backwards compatible though.

Slothy
08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Only some versions of them are. I know the 40GB versions are not backwards compatible, as well as the new 80GB bundle they are putting out. Other than those two, I believe the others are backwards compatible though.

40GB is compatible with PSX games, but not PS2.

The older 80GB model is compatible with PSX games and some PS2 through software emulation, while the newer ones released this month don't have PS2 compatability.

The 20GB and 60GB models offer full backwards compatability with both systems, though wikipedia informs me that the PAL 60GB model had software emulation and the 20GB model was never released there so if you live in Europe you won't get full PS2 compatability no matter what.

Honestly, if you have a PS2 and want a PS3 you could just keep your PS2. It's not worth enough to sell second hand anyway. Either that or try to track down a used 60GB model.

Mirage
08-14-2008, 05:01 PM
The first PS3s had both the Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesizer of the PS2 inside them, which offered the best compatibility because it basically had a PS2 inside it. The last versions that had PS2 compatibility only had the Graphics Synthesizer of the PS2, resulting in poorer PS2 compatibility.

The current versions have neither th EE or GS in them, leading to no compatibility. Sony probably figured it was too difficult to program an all-out software emulator for it, even though there are PS2 emus that will run on decently specced PCs now.

Vyk
08-21-2008, 05:17 AM
So we've missed our chance. That's crazy. You'd think they'd learn from Microsoft's mistake. Seemed like they DID. Now they try to do the same thing? And then wose? Take away compatibility all together? Lame :( I looked it up on Wikipedia a long time ago and saw that some had software compatibility and some had hardware compatibility and some had nothing. I was wondering what was going on there. I was actually figuring on eventually buying a PS3. But if I can't play my old games on it, it'll be a lot longer and maybe even a lot less likely :/

Roto13
08-21-2008, 05:25 AM
So we've missed our chance. That's crazy. You'd think they'd learn from Microsoft's mistake. Seemed like they DID. Now they try to do the same thing? And then wose? Take away compatibility all together? Lame :( I looked it up on Wikipedia a long time ago and saw that some had software compatibility and some had hardware compatibility and some had nothing. I was wondering what was going on there. I was actually figuring on eventually buying a PS3. But if I can't play my old games on it, it'll be a lot longer and maybe even a lot less likely :/

Run out and buy the MGS4 bundle. :P It's an 80 gig model with PS2 backwards compatibility. Rumour has it they've stopped production, though, so your window of opportunity is closing. :P