PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With The Elderly

Yar
08-14-2008, 07:41 PM
And by elderly, I mean like 39, which is OOOOLD!

My parents think they're a lot younger than they are. And while I don't think that that's necessarily a bad thing, it can get embarassing and annoying at times, or at other times, can be kinda neat.

My dad, for example, is a cool guy. It's fun when he hangs out with me and my friends when we're doing things like playing video games or other simple things. But other times, my friends and I want to go see a movie. You know, without old peoples. It gets him kinda down, but I don't want to offend or kick him out of my life.

But then he does some things that makes me think that he thinks he's 17. He gets haircuts or styles that are a bit too young for him. He also got remarried. But here's the kicker, she's like 24. So instead of a mom-figure she's more like a big-sis to me. :D

And then there's my mom. She gets really down when my friends go out without her. But there are some times when we really like when she's there, like at hockey games. Have you seen mom at hockey games? Didn't think so. And while she doesn't "think" she's 17, she certainly seems like it at heart.

Do you have to deal with the "elderly" in way that may be embarassing or even, fun?

Rye
08-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Wow, goodness me, your parents are young! I'm your age and my parents are almost 50.

Feel lucky! Your parents at least have spirit. My parents sit inside all day and have no friends and just whine and complain about the neighbors' lawns and such. It's so sad! I never wanna be like that when I'm old. :x

Flying Mullet
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
It's every parent's rights and responsibility to embarrass their kids as much as possible. If we have kids I intend to take full advantage of this. :D

rubah
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
the hardest part of dealing with my mom is mostly her social avoidance tendacies, which make it hard to get her to go out anywhere, for dinner, to games etc.

Hambone
08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
It's every parent's rights and responsibility to embarrass their kids as much as possible. If we have kids I intend to take full advantage of this. :D

You cruel, evil person.

My parents think I'm the weirdest 14 year-old alive (actually, I might be, but anyway). They're both about 50, and blah. This is trite, but they don't freaking understand me or anybody else my age. It's like they live in the 1960s.

The elderly as in like 60 and above freak me out. But it's mainly because we have even more differences than my parents and I do, so it makes me feel all awkward around them.

Sarc the Swordsman
08-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not too bothered about my parents acting younger than they are, since they have every right to do so. Besides, I'm just happy my parents aren't boring - even if they do embarass me from time to time.

Zeldy
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
My parents are late 40s and are regulars in my town's night-life, regulars. My parents are really cool, my Mum's a 'trendy Mum' so she doesn't embarrass me, my Dad embarrasses me on the phone though. If my mate rings and asks for me, he shouts my name and when I go WHAT he goes PHONEEEEE and then shouts my name again, I always get to the phone to hear my mate laughing on the other end.

I love the fact that my Mum's a trendy Mum, I get to wear all her fancy dresses and tops :jess:

Breine
08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I like my parents.. well most of the time anyway (they are still my parents, and as their offspring I'm supposed to dislike them from time to time). They're very out-going, open-minded and outspoken about all sorts of things, and they're very popular with all of my friends who just think they're the coolest. Of course, as their son I don't recognize it as much as others. It's not because they're young or anything, since they're both over 50 (Dad is 51 going on 52, and mom is 50), which I guess just makes it even cooler.

Anyway, just enjoy that you're parents are the way they are. Deep down they're still the same person as they were when they were 18, just with an older facade and greyer hair.

Bahamut2000X
08-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Wow, goodness me, your parents are young! I'm your age and my parents are almost <s>50</s> 60.

Miriel
08-17-2008, 06:50 AM
39 is not that old. xD

My mom can act like a stubborn toddler sometimes. But neither one of my parents ever tried to be "hip" or anything like that. They do have a tendency to lie though. Like my Dad will tell his friends that I'm a 4.0 student which I'm totally not. :p

bipper
08-17-2008, 07:00 AM
I was at my cousins wedding this last weekend, and my ass was grabbed by an old lady as she excitedly yelled something. I am a bit to shy to handle this in anyway but yelping and trying to run away as she tries dragging me on the dance floor. Only minutes later I have another betty lay one on my cheek, which took like half of a most awkward minute.

I felt like a piece of meat being dangled in front of a pack of rabid cougars :(

Old people = disaster to me.

~*~Celes~*~
08-17-2008, 07:19 AM
My mom turned 42 this month and my dad turned 39 this month. Out of the two, my dad is the more mature one, and my mom acts like she's about 15 sometimes the way she handles things. One night she fought with me over who was going to be able to shave their legs in the shower.

See, I was getting in the shower and she saw that and said "ok well don't use too much hot water because I need a shower so I can shave my legs." I said "well I need to shave too because I have gym class every day and I'll look gross."
"No, I need to shave."
"Mom, no you don't. You won't have people seeing your legs any time soon."
"So? Why do you care so much about what other people think?"
"Because if my legs are nasty looking people will talk about me behind my back!"
"So? What do you care what others think? Don't you have a boyfriend?"
"You know I do."
"So then why does it matter so much to you? You can survive without shaving your legs."
"So can you. You never go anywhere anyway, and you're married, so your argument is totally pointless."

I totally won, but COME ON! How stupid of a thing is that to argue about?! I was 15 at the time and could only think about how childish she was acting...She was mad at me for the rest of that night by the way.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over -: My mom acts like she's 15 and it makes me mad cause she's 42 YEARS OLD!

Also, lol @ tl ; dr filter.

Rengori
08-17-2008, 11:33 AM
My parents are some of the whitest people I have ever met.