PDA

View Full Version : JRPGs

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-14-2008, 09:41 PM
It's funny the JRPG dialogue never bothered me when I was a kid but now that I'm an adult that stupid dialogue irritates the hell out of me. I still play JRPGs but now I play music over the goofy dialogue.

Jessweeee♪
08-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Depends on the JRPG :p

Yar
08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
What are you referring to when you say "JRPG"? JRPG is the genre, not the style of the story.

Markus. D
08-16-2008, 12:05 AM
I was going to ask that yesterday... JRPG as a whole? if so... I feel sorry for ya, there are quite a few JRPG that lack this "stupid dialogue."

DrDeath in Despair
08-16-2008, 08:54 AM
A tip for you: Mash your "A" button to Death.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm talking about JRPGs like Shadow Hearts: From The New World and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Dreddz
08-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Well your complaints seem reasonable if your talking about a game like Star Ocean 3. That game had one of the worst stories in a JRPG and had generally terrible dialogue. Made worse by the voice actors.

I think there are a handful of JRPG's that avoid this though. Vagrant Story was beautifully written and translated. Also the Final Fantasy games, on the whole, aren't too shabby either.

DMKA
08-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Also the Final Fantasy games, on the whole, aren't too shabby either.

They got a lot better translation wise after VII, that's for sure.

Madame Adequate
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Vagrant Story was beautifully written and translated.

I had assumed that level of pretentious 5th-grade shakespeare imitation wankery was a bad translation, not deliberate.

NeoCracker
08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
If you want good dialogue, go play Persona 3.

That, my friend, has some amazing Dialogue, especially from the likes of Aegis and Takaya.

DMKA
08-16-2008, 08:48 PM
If you want good dialogue, go play Persona 3.

That, my friend, has some amazing Dialogue, especially from the likes of Aegis and Takaya.

Whereas the first Persona is so hilariously bad it's actually unintentionally offensive at parts.

NeoCracker
08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Now I want to play it. XD

Karellen
08-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Translations that maintain the Japanese honorifics rub me up the wrong way. I know, it's set in Japan so it's contextually appropriate but every time I play that game there is a voice in the back of my head screaming "The Wapanese have won".

DMKA
08-17-2008, 04:31 AM
Translations that maintain the Japanese honorifics rub me up the wrong way. I know, it's set in Japan so it's contextually appropriate but every time I play that game there is a voice in the back of my head screaming "The Wapanese have won".

You mean all that "chan" and "san" and "kun" stuff? I'd have trouble sitting through that.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Fun fact: Persona 3's English translation apparently has more honorifics than the original Japanese version.

DrDeath in Despair
08-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Fun fact: Persona 3's English translation apparently has more honorifics than the original Japanese version.
Every time I heard ANYONE exept for Bebe say anything Japanese or even use honorifics; a part of me died. Damn you Persona 3, Damn you!

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-18-2008, 03:53 AM

Every time I heard ANYONE exept for Bebe say anything Japanese or even use honorifics; a part of me died. Damn you Persona 3, Damn you!

I am the opposite. I hate it when they try to contextualize the honorifics into English because I find you lose a bit of the depth of their relationships. This is more of a grip with anime subs though, especially since I listen to Japanese audio. :/

ReloadPsi
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM

You mean all that "chan" and "san" and "kun" stuff? I'd have trouble sitting through that.

Me too. For some reason I like to see it in mangas because they're a niche market generally for people who want something authentic, but not games. Games are meant to be for everyone.

JKTrix
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
If anyone besides Atlus made Persona 3 (if it were possible), I'm sure it would have turned out different. Atlus is one of the companies who is probably the most in-tune with what the 'niche Japanophile gamer', their core audience, is interested in. I can see how it would bother people who don't exactly fit into that category and were bombarded with it though.

NeoCracker
08-19-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm of the group that like the honorifics.

If they were converted to english honorifics, we'd have people saying things like "Dear" and "Ageis Honey" which I've always thought sounded strange.

However it would have been fine if they dropped any kind of Honorific all together, though I do prefer that the left the Japanese ones in.