PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement

Flying Mullet
08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) - for all your spelling needs.
Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html) - a very handy browser that highlights all misspelled words. Right clicking on these words shows correctly spelled words that are close matches(hopefully) to your misspelled word. It also allows you to add words to your dictionary that aren't already included, like "esper".

That should clear up any misspelled words in threads and thread titles. :p

Yar
08-14-2008, 11:36 PM
You should've seen Peegee and my discussion when I discovered a similiar feature on the New York Times' website.

Paraphrasing
Me: Wow look at what I just found! :whoa:
PG: What?
Me: When I click on a word, it defines it for me.
PG: Is it Firefox?
Me: Yeah. Maybe a new feature!
PG: Mmkay.

Can't you just imagine the excitement in his voice?

Levian
08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
who died and made you the queen of spelling?

don't tell me what to do you're not the boss of me iirc!

Zeldy
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I have the 'British English Dictionary' add-on already installed :jess:

Peegee
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I spelling the good english you. See how my spelling super awesome 100% accurate.

bipper
08-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Spelling is subjective! I don't know why that short black kid wrote a dictionary, but he really pissed me the 'ell right off. Now we have to put up with Anal Mullet making us feel like lesser monkeys because his spelling is Webster's compliant.

Your not funny. Oh, that's right. Your not. Where is your short black dictionary god now?

Yar
08-15-2008, 02:47 AM
He's off in obscurity, where he deserves to be.

Lawr
08-15-2008, 02:52 AM
:monster: Anyone without Firefox already FAILs in my Dictionary.

It's too late to redeem yourself so have fun in IE failure.

Baloki
08-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Firefox dictionary doesn't work in the thread titles box :p Also it doesn't know the word Firefox xD

Shlup
08-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I've been getting made fun of for my poor spelling much less since switching to Firefox. *flex*

NeoCracker
08-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I've been getting made fun of for my poor spelling much less since switching to Firefox. *flex*

*Deflates with needle*

I approve of this message.

Balzac
08-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Anal much?

bipper
08-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Anal much?

If only you knew :jokey:

Blue Harvest
08-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't need a spell checker. My spelling is perfect :D

Captain Maxx Power
08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
About time someone pointed this out. Seriously, all of you need to learn how to spell and what constitutes correct grammar. Like, right now.

cloud21zidane16
08-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I dont need Firefox, i just spell everything correctly:cool:

Momiji
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
About time someone pointed this out. Seriously, all of you need to learn how to spell and what constitutes correct grammar. Like, right now.

Yes, please.

Madame Adequate
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
I love it when people are so insecure with the language that they start applying the rules as rigorously as possible. They lack the flair, the creativity, the élan, and simply abide by stodgy, often nonsensical rules.

The purpose of language is to communicate. Some rules are necessary for communication to succeed, but they are not sacred, they are arbitrary. The important thing is to communicate and as long as that happens nothing else is a consideration.

It's also cute when people get uppity about grammar, because I've never met anyone who actually knows every rule of English grammar, let alone someone who can and does follow it.

bipper
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I love it when people are so insecure with the language that they start applying the rules as rigorously as possible. They lack the flair, the creativity, the élan, and simply abide by stodgy, often nonsensical rules.

The purpose of language is to communicate. Some rules are necessary for communication to succeed, but they are not sacred, they are arbitrary. The important thing is to communicate and as long as that happens nothing else is a consideration.

It's also cute when people get uppity about grammar, because I've never met anyone who actually knows every rule of English grammar, let alone someone who can and does follow it.

Werd. *high fives*

Captain Maxx Power
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM

lul ya i men wu carz wut we r tiepyn rite? lik der wus dis 1 tyme wen we n da ladz went dwn 2 da rivr n iiit wuz wel kewl dood, srsly werd lol

Yar
08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
lul ya i men wu carz wut we r tiepyn rite? lik der wus dis 1 tyme wen we n da ladz went dwn 2 da rivr n iiit wuz wel kewl dood, srsly werd lol

That probably took longer to type. :rolleyes2

Momiji
08-15-2008, 05:34 PM

It doesn't kill anyone to use capitalization and punctuation so their thoughts don't all run together, though. I can forgive spelling errors as long as I can figure out what the person's trying to say, but seriously, now. :p

Madame Adequate
08-15-2008, 05:46 PM

It doesn't kill anyone to use capitalization and punctuation so their thoughts don't all run together, though. I can forgive spelling errors as long as I can figure out what the person's trying to say, but seriously, now. :p

Which is what I said. If the rules are violated to the point where it's difficult to read, then you've gone too far. But their only purpose is to facilitate communication. I have no truck with people who go about acting as though the natural evolution of language is something bad.

Rye
08-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I love the firefox add-on, but as a result, my typing off of forums and LJ has been worse. My mind gets lazy and I start to TyPE liek tihs.

rubah
08-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't use spellcheck in firefox because I don't feel like wasting the ram/cpu to keep another extension alive :D This was more important when I was still using my desktop, but I'll still pretend that's my reason.

Anyways, most of the time, any misspellings are 1) made up words 2) typos cba 3) words that are annoying and hard >:{

Bunny
08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
; I AM GOING TO START TYPING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS WITHOUT USING ANY SORT OF PUNCTUATION EXCEPT PERHAPS A SEMICOLON AND EVEN THAT I WILL USE IN THE WRONGEST OF WAYS ;

Lawr
08-15-2008, 09:21 PM

i think Roto is a pretty cool guy. eh is ignorant and doesn't afraid of anything

Only one spelling error.

Jessweeee♪
08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I ain't needin' you lernin' me no grammer :mad2:

Flying Mullet
08-15-2008, 09:49 PM

Grammar is one thing, spelling is inexcusable!

Montoya
08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I remember when I barely got the add-on. I thought that my computer magically started to check my spelling everywhere, I thought it was amazing. Then I found out it was just Firefox. yay...

TheSpoonyBard
08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Firefox dictionary doesn't work in the thread titles box :p Also it doesn't know the word Firefox xD
Go to about:config and change the value of layout.spellcheckDefault to 2 and the spellcheck feature will work in form fields.

Lawr
08-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Or he can just right click the field and click "Check Spelling" :tongue: