PDA

View Full Version : I like my tv with abit of static

blackmage_nuke
08-16-2008, 01:00 PM
For some reason high definition and digital television is a strain on my eyes. And add to that the fact that it sucks during lightning storms and when someone is using the vacumm cleaner or something i tend to steer away from it unless there is something i really want to see only available on hd.

Does anyone use hd or digital the majority of the time?

Kirobaito
08-16-2008, 03:52 PM
When I'm at home, I do. It's just better looking. I don't know why I would ever NOT use it, except of course when I'm watching non-HD on an HDTV. I'd rather watch that on a tuber.

I don't have digital or HD here at school.

Balzac
08-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I use it all the time. Usually suck ass when it's raining. Other than that it's good times.

Shoeberto
08-16-2008, 07:05 PM
The only way it's going to suck when it's raining is if you use satellite, which can be solved by getting cable!

Not that I have any HDTVs. I'd like to get one eventually, but the price point is still too steep for me to justify it.

rubah
08-16-2008, 07:09 PM
I guess it might be my imagination, but either we have been getting exceptional quality the last few years, or HD even improves the look at regular tvs.

I wonder what my dad's going to decide when the switch over happens:}

DMKA
08-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Every HDTV I've seen looks like antailased, fuzzy, ghosted, absolute crap. Even the ones on display at WalMart.

I'll wait until it's actually better looking outside of people's imaginations.

Namelessfengir
08-16-2008, 09:18 PM
i hate hdtv's it always looks pixelated to me my eyes try to bring the picture in to focus and that gives me a killer headache

Slothy
08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Every HDTV I've seen looks like antailased, fuzzy, ghosted, absolute crap. Even the ones on display at WalMart.

Splitting the signal between multiple TV's will generally do that, and even then, I'm not convinced it's always an HD signal they're using to begin with in stores.

I've had my Sharp Aquos for about a year, and I will say that with a true HD signal on a quality HDTV, there is no going back, and there are certainly no visual artifacts like you'll see on a lot of TV's in stores.

Dreddz
08-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I own a HDTV in my room (small one granted) but I don't have a TV box in my room and have to use an aerial so I always have bad reception. If I could improve the quality of my TV reception I most definitely would. Having watched many blu-ray movies and games the difference is very noticeable and is just plain better.

Rantz
08-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Last year, Sweden went through with the digital switchover that is happening everywhere, so it's digital or nothing here now. That meant everyone who was still watching analogue TV had to buy digital receivers, and for those living in more rural areas (like my parents), the reception is much worse than before.

I mean, sure, the picture quality is better when there is a picture at all, but I'd rather watch a movie that gets a little static interference from time to time than watch it with super quality and miss out on important moments because there's no signal.

Kirobaito
08-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Splitting the signal between multiple TV's will generally do that, and even then, I'm not convinced it's always an HD signal they're using to begin with in stores.

I've had my Sharp Aquos for about a year, and I will say that with a true HD signal on a quality HDTV, there is no going back, and there are certainly no visual artifacts like you'll see on a lot of TV's in stores.
Also, at a lot of stores you're limited in terms of how far you can get from the TVs (oftentimes the aisle width). Up close HDTVs look like crap. But if you stand the proper distance away, they're gorgeous.

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2008, 12:59 AM
I mean, sure, the picture quality is better when there is a picture at all, but I'd rather watch a movie that gets a little static interference from time to time than watch it with super quality and miss out on important moments because there's no signal.

YES. That is why i hope there is never a switch! And if there is all it will do is encourage me to download episodes and movies illegally. Yes i admitted it

Rantz
08-17-2008, 01:03 AM

YES. That is why i hope there is never a switch!

If you live in the US, they've legislated to have made a complete switchover by February at the latest.

Digital television transition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_switchover)

Edit:

And if there is all it will do is encourage me to download episodes and movies illegally. Yes i admitted it
Yeah, I pretty much don't watch TV at all anymore.

Yar
08-17-2008, 01:06 AM
I love digital television. As long as you're not simply watching analog programming on a digital TV, I find it worth the money.

Discovery had an HD network (don't know if they still do) that showed brilliant places around the world in HD.

Hockey is also the greatest sport to watch in HD. You can see everything.

Conan's saggy face is great in HD too! :p

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2008, 01:09 AM

YES. That is why i hope there is never a switch!
Digital television transition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_switchover)

I hate the government, If it aint broke dont fix it.

Yar
08-17-2008, 01:25 AM
But it is broke. The space required for digital is minute compared to analog.

When we talk "digital", we don't mean of sattelite quality when it goes out all the time. Digital is a LOT clearer than analog over distances, and doesn't go out during a storm like satellite. It just digital antenna.

If you have cable or satellite, you already have digital TV. Over the air antenna without a digital receiver is what will be affected.

rubah
08-17-2008, 02:52 AM
do HD tvs look good from 10-20 ft away? Because that's the range of tv viewing in the living room :p

But I've already put in my request for the coupon (x2 https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx since they're free), so we'll just see what happens.

I wonder what will happen to the popularity of the UHF networks; wouldn't they be transmitting in identical(better than now) quality to the VHF networks after the switchover?

bipper
08-17-2008, 03:53 AM
I just have cable. This digital crap is about as fun to watch as Y2K, minus the fun. On that note, I am filling my bathtub with water on January 7th, and reading my Al Gore bible before the world ends. Shrtly after.