PDA

View Full Version : Just give it another chance... HELL NO!

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Have you ever played a game you didn't care for and later tried to give it another chance only to find you it hate even more than you did the first time around?

I finished FFX for the third time and I can honestly say I learn to hate this game more and more each time I play it. I even started laughing during the end parts of the game cause it got so damn cheesy.

The only other title I can think of off the top of my head was Tekken in which every new attempt at playing the series has left me wondering why people think its so damn great.

Karellen
08-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Odin Sphere.

Slothy
08-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Got half way through RE4 before I stopped playing because of some really annoying gameplay issues. Decided to give it another go after a few months since I knew I had to at least finish it or people would think my opinion of it's utter crappiness invalid. 10 hours later I was past the ending and realized the game sucked even more than I had originally thought.

Heath
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Earth Defence Force 2017. How I managed to hate this game more second time around, I'll never know.

Markus. D
08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Odin Sphere xD

I don't care what people say about the story (which was getting good)... the gameplay is lacking so hard imo... I simply stopped...

ReloadPsi
08-18-2008, 12:50 PM
FFX and Tekken happen to be two of mine also.

I played FFX up to the point where I unlocked the battle against Penance. How much more of "another chance" do I need to give it?

As far as I'm concerned, the above act alone grants me the right to not have to give games "another chance"; I've come so close to the very pinnacle of doing that (actually taking the time to defeat Penance would indeed reach it in my book).

Momiji
08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Chrono Trigger, PSX port. I can't even play it for 20 minutes without wanting to take that slow-loading CD and put it in the microwave.

Madame Adequate
08-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah guys you obviously don't hate these games you've played to completion. If you hate the game you play for an hour. If you play for 15 hours or play through FFX three times, or get to Penance, you're either exaggerating or an idiot, because you either did like it or you voluntarily did something you don't like for dozens of hours :monster:

Yar
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Final Fantasy XII. Also, that new Smash Brothers is pretty much unplayable for me. Luckily, it's not my game, it's my brother's.

Gilghamut
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
The more I played FF8 the more I hated it, never managed to beat it, probably never will.

Bolivar
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Have you ever played a game you didn't care for and later tried to give it another chance only to find you it hate even more than you did the first time around?

I finished FFX for the third time and I can honestly say I learn to hate this game more and more each time I play it. I even started laughing during the end parts of the game cause it got so damn cheesy.

The only other title I can think of off the top of my head was Tekken in which every new attempt at playing the series has left me wondering why people think its so damn great.

That's funny, I seem to remember a certain message where you claim to actually enjoy it! :eek:

HALO. Given it plenty of chances, endured the "you gotta get more into it!" statements, gave it more tries. I'm a FPS junkie - I just don't think it's a good shooter.

And FFVI. I don't hate it, I usually have fun while playing it, but I had to endure plenty of "you gotta get further!" before I supposedly would realize how great it is. Finally beat it and got a "You need to give it a second go!" *fainted*

Slothy
08-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah guys you obviously don't hate these games you've played to completion. If you hate the game you play for an hour. If you play for 15 hours or play through FFX three times, or get to Penance, you're either exaggerating or an idiot, because you either did like it or you voluntarily did something you don't like for dozens of hours :monster:

Not necessarily. I kept hoping RE4 would get better being a huge fan of the series. It didn't, I'll never play it again, and couldn't give a crap about the series ever again. I could kind of see playing a game 3 times over a long enough period. Tastes change, and something you didn't enjoy 7 years ago you might have a different opinion of now.

Yar
08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh, I forgot the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess chapters of Zelda. Two worst ones I've ever played. I'll never buy another Zelda game as long as I live.

I'm fine everything pre-Wind Waker. Those game are sweet (except Zelda II). Hell, I was playing Link to the Past last night!

Roto13
08-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings. I was tolerating it up until the 50% mark, but I couldn't stand it any more and quit. After playing Final Fantasy Tactics A2, I wanted to see what had happened between XII and A2 to get Vaan to change so much and stuff. I restarted Revenant Wings and played a few missions before shutting it off. It was even worse than I remember it.

A lot of games (especially RPGs) start out slow and build up as they go.

Karellen
08-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah, the reason I gave Odin Sphere so many chances is because people kept telling me that it gets a lot better after the first book. Of course, after I hit the book one epilogue I decided it simply wasn't worth finding out for myself.

Breine
08-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh, I forgot the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess chapters of Zelda. Two worst ones I've ever played. I'll never buy another Zelda game as long as I live!

Your nuts! I can maybe understand why you didn't like The Wind Waker because of it being so different, plus all the sailing and stuff, but not liking Twilight Princess when you liked the pre-Winder Waker ones is quite strange.

Both are great games! :P Especially Twilight Princess.

black orb
08-19-2008, 08:05 PM
>>> Lol, so true.

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2008, 09:27 PM
As a few people have stated, sometimes it takes awhile for a game to pick up. I also have my stubborn streak that tells me if you spend $40 dollars on a game you could at least finish the damn thing. I usually make my final verdict of a game after the 2nd playthrough cause the new game smell wears off and you can pay better attention to details.

As for X, my initial feeling when I completed it was meh, it wasn't bad just not stellar either. It felt pretty average to me. It was during my 2nd playthrough that I began to notice how bad the story and gameplay really was. I stuck with it and started work on all the side stuff I missed out on the 1st time through. When I 1-hit K.O.ed the Final Aeon, I knew something was terribly wrong.

I also never realized how bored I kept getting throughout the game waiting for something to happen. This rarely happens to me in RPGs especially not throughout the game. After my second playthrough I realized I really didn't like X and it had very few redeeming qualities.

My third playthrough was only done to help my GF get through the game. She needed help and it had been a few years so I started a new file to remember things again. This was back in December. I just finished the game a few weeks ago cause she wanted to see the ending. We both agreed it was a pretty bad game overall. Funny since she adores X-2...

That's funny, I seem to remember a certain message where you claim to actually enjoy it! :eek:

I enjoy elements of the game, it had some good ideas they were just horribly executed. I would also be lying if I said it was the worse game ever. I've played too many bad games to give it that dubious title, but I would easily say its the worst main line FF game though, no hesitation there. Considering how many quality titles they released in the PS1 era, to make this slop and say its innovative and new is a slap to the face of fans.

I also hate the fact that overall, X became the model of how SE did most of their games in the PS2 era. Only in the last few years have they started to make quality titles again and I find it amusing that these titles are not associated with too many of the core FF team. ;)

Ledious
08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Got half way through RE4 before I stopped playing because of some really annoying gameplay issues. Decided to give it another go after a few months since I knew I had to at least finish it or people would think my opinion of it's utter crappiness invalid. 10 hours later I was past the ending and realized the game sucked even more than I had originally thought.
RE4 is one of the best horror games out there and I'm not saying this because the public says so. I think the Wii version improved any flaws in the gameplay but its not the gameplay that's amazing its the mood and setting that's so brilliant. You get this feeling that your trapped in this primitive environment almost medieval and your fighting to get back to modern civilization. The only things modern in the game is the weapons until the research facilities and even then, ammo is scarce. people love that type of setting and mood.

Oh, I forgot the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess chapters of Zelda. Two worst ones I've ever played. I'll never buy another Zelda game as long as I live!

Your nuts! I can maybe understand why you didn't like The Wind Waker because of it being so different, plus all the sailing and stuff, but not liking Twilight Princess when you liked the pre-Winder Waker ones is quite strange.

Both are great games! :P Especially Twilight Princess.
Zelda has been my favorite series since my first one, adventures of link for NES. I must say my favorite one, and is probably my most favorite game in the world (I yet have to play MGS4) is the wind waker. Me being an artist and knowing the techniques used to accomplish a mood, I fully understand what they were trying to do with the cell shading and it was perfect. It was the best use of cell shading I have ever seen and it fit the mood of the overall game perfectly. Even though it wasn't realistic the bright colors and types of shapes emphasized the oceanic mood more than any realistic photographic images could. This is hard for someone who doesn't paint to understand. We recognized moods of an environment from color shape and texture. In a painting if the artist really wants to feel like an ocean the colors and textures would be emphasized and changed to a point that wouldn't make chronological sense. If an artist were trying to paint a picture that FELT like it was a cirton time of the day. Well every hour of the day has has a different feeiling thats why usually people can guess the time of day and not even look at the sun's placement in the sky. Now you would agree that 1:00 in the afternoon feels completely different than 11:00 in the morning. a sunset feels different than a sunrise. To capture this mood in a painting the artist has to find the colors and something called color temperature to get a different effect even if you use the same colors for both screens. Here's an example: If I wanted to paint a fight screen in a city and I wanted it to look like its in the afternoon around 4:00 so the viewer could better feel and not just see what I'm trying to portray. The sunlight would be yellow white and the sky blue right? actually the color that contributes the most to the feeling that it is afternoon is the yellow. Blue is a cool color and it would cool down the mood too much the after noon is supposed to be relatively the warmest part of the day. how is the artist supposed to let the viewer feel that warm afternoon temperature if its not really there? what he would do is change the sky color to gray and add more yellow to the lit up arias and make the shadows light blue. that doesn't make sense now does it? shadows are not blue and the sky is not grey on sunny days but your eye is tricked and the sky will appear blue if done right. this also will surprisingly feel more realistic than if someone had taken a picture of the screen.

now wind waker did the same thing through the use of their art style but instead of capturing the mood of the time of day, they captured the mood of the ocean. The ocean in this game FELT like an ocean and I could almost smell the ocean breeze and I could feel the still ocean at night. It was all because the colors shapes and textures they used even if it didn't make realistic sense it captured the mood of your environment which is the more important than high detailed graphics. the game was the most adventurous game I have ever played because the adventure on the ocean FELT so real.

look at this painting, it isn't super detailed in fact if you look closely it is composed of simple strokes but the color shapes of the strokes and textures of the shapes makes it feel so real and you can experience the scene.
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs31/p/2008/207/7/7e03a7ead8a8f275e732eebc0a55b56d.jpg

Bolivar
08-20-2008, 04:51 AM
I also hate the fact that overall, X became the model of how SE did most of their games in the PS2 era. Only in the last few years have they started to make quality titles again and I find it amusing that these titles are not associated with too many of the core FF team. ;)

not to mention alot of them actually went backwards in technical capabilities to do so. Oh well, I hope they learned their lesson.

darkchrono
08-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Question. Why have you beaten FFX three times if you hate it so much?

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2008, 08:13 AM

not to mention alot of them actually went backwards in technical capabilities to do so. Oh well, I hope they learned their lesson.

They're starting to do better, I wish they would release serious gameplay for XIII to see how the main franchise is doing but many of their side projects have been redeeming them to me. For once, I have a handful of SE games I actually want to play. I haven't been able to say that for quite some time. :D

Question. Why have you beaten FFX three times if you hate it so much?

The first was the initial playthrough for plot, the second was to delve deeper into the gameplay and to pay better attention to detail (only to find it doesn't really exist) and the third was because my GF "pistol whipped" me into doing it cause she wanted to see how it ended since she adored X-2 and was having difficulty getting through X.

Partly cause she didn't pay too much attention to the tutorial and it took her until Macalania Temple to finally figure out how to activate sphere nodes. Meaning she got that far in the game with only minor problems using a party with starting stats... proving X is pathetically easy. This was only her second FF title. Then I got her sucked into Persona 3 and she somehow erased her file. She asked me to finish my file (which I started in order to help her) so she could see the ending cause she couldn't stomach a second playthrough.

demondude
08-20-2008, 11:05 AM
The whole Metroid Prime series.

Slothy
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
RE4 is one of the best horror games out there and I'm not saying this because the public says so. I think the Wii version improved any flaws in the gameplay but its not the gameplay that's amazing its the mood and setting that's so brilliant. You get this feeling that your trapped in this primitive environment almost medieval and your fighting to get back to modern civilization. The only things modern in the game is the weapons until the research facilities and even then, ammo is scarce. people love that type of setting and mood.

That's your opinion, but I hated the atmosphere. The only place where it had a decent horror atmosphere going on was in the village. After that it just went way downhill. I also think it was largely the gameplay that killed it too. I might have found the areas interesting if the gameplay didn't amount to go here, kill 50 guys, move on to the next room, kill 50 more guys, rinse and repeat. I never had an issue with not having enough ammo, and to top it off, I hated the aiming system. Unfortunately the story and atmosphere most definitely did not make up for the boring and repetitive gameplay for me.

ReloadPsi
08-20-2008, 02:09 PM

Dude, can you freakin' read? This post is about "giving games a chance". Never mind that if you hate a game you play it for an hour because apparently playing a game for a whole day doesn't even seem to count as giving games a chance anymore! Try having someone tell you over and over again that you didn't give a game a chance to the point that they're basically criticising you directly for it, then come back and tell me that I'm exaggerating or "obviously like the game". Seriously, none of my friends or peers have accused me of not giving games a chance ever since I proved that I could... hell, they couldn't even beat the Dark Aeons and I could! Now that's gonna open the whole can o' worms about me being sick of the things I happen to be good at and not what I want to be. I was about to continue into my usual rant about that topic but it's not even relevant.

But hey, I guess all my "given chance" proves is that FFX is also way too easy as well as just being a crappy "keep running north until another poorly dubbed cutscene plays you can't be bothered to sit through so I'll just go cook dinner" fest. I worked that out very early on into the game, but after I was told I hadn't given it a chance I decided to play it almost to death and prove my point. Surprise, by the end of the game I had clocked god knows how many hours of running north and waiting for poorly dubbed cutscenes to finish. FF is indeed quite repetitive by nature but this one was especially repetitive (how many different kinds of hornets am I gonna meet anyway?), and the poorly dubbed cutscenes just brought its pace so low that if it went any faster it would've stopped.

I played that to death to prove I could give a game a chance. And like I said, this masochistic act has shut my friends up for good. They didn't even try and talk me into playing Devil May Cry a second time, and attempts to make me play FFXI again were virtually effortless. It's like they knew they couldn't win.

BONUS BOX!

I also once got all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 and met Yoshi on the roof. I still loathe that game for its crappy cameras and how blindingly easy I'm totally convinced it would've been if not for the crappy cameras. I still have a clear picture of my 120th star in my head: I'd finally managed to collect 100 coins on Rainbow Ride, and the camera was zoomed out so far (and buzzed every time I tried to zoom further in) that I could barely see Mario, and was making blind leaps of faith to grab coins... did I mention I was on a moving platform and one wrong guess would've killed me again?

And my reason for doing this? Why, people kept telling me over and over that it was a good game and I should give it a chance!

Believe me, some of us know aaaall about giving games a chance. I gave Final Fantasy V another chance also... the difference there is that I absolutely loved it the second time, having learned to (go ahead and punch me) forsake the Black Mage.

Ledious
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
the best FPS I have ever played and I am a huge fan of killzone and halo. I still yet have to play MGS4 but that's not really an fps is it?
I played the first one over and over it was just as cool every time. however I couldn't really do the same with corruption, that was more of a one time deal. but metroid prime is the only FPS that emphasized on adventure more so than shoot em up kills and head shots. it was a totally different experience and the storry was great! Halo also did something similar with the rings and exploring their terrains and unlocking the secrets of the flood infested halls.

Roto13
08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
the best FPS I have ever played and I am a huge fan of killzone and halo. I still yet have to play MGS4 but that's not really an fps is it?

Neither is Metroid Prime. :P

Montoya
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Golden Sun. :nonono:

Ledious
08-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Neither is Metroid Prime. :P

what? ....I'm afraid I don't understand your remark. Anyway, I didn't say halo and Killzone were Metroid prime I meant I love halo and killzone, they are amazing games but I think metroid prime had a more enjoyable experiance. It was just overall better, if you will imo.

demondude
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
He meant Metroid Prime isn't an FPS

Dreddz
08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Vagrant Story. I give it at least one chance every year but it keeps pushing me away further every time. Shame because I do like some aspects of the game.

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Vagrant Story. I give it at least one chance every year but it keeps pushing me away further every time. Shame because I do like some aspects of the game.

That game was one I had to trudge through a bit to keep going (speaking of games people tell you that it gets better later on). I absolutely love it but I'm also well aware of a lot of "fun killing" aspects about it. So I hardly begrudge anyone for not finishing it.