PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger [sp?]

Anno Domini
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Does Heath Ledger deserve a posthumous Oscar?
Or has he earned it?

Discuss

bipper
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't even get what you are asking. I am sure lipstick has been hot for a long while.

Shlup
08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
What?! No.

Flying Mullet
08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
"Heath Ledger made lipstick hot?"

That is the question.

Bunny
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
This topic should be about whether or not Heath Ledger should receive a posthumous Oscar. Which would include the following poll answers:

"Yes, he does"
"Yes, he really does"
"Yes"
"I do not know what posthumous means but I'm going to go with yes, he does"

Otherwise, the answer to the current topic is no.

Elly
08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
nope, Robert Smith made it hot first, though Heath was the best Joker ever...

bipper
08-18-2008, 10:33 PM
This topic should be about whether or not Heath Ledger should receive a posthumous Oscar. Which would include the following poll answers:

"Yes, he does"
"Yes, he really does"
"Yes"

<3

Madame Adequate
08-19-2008, 12:02 AM

"Yes, he does"
"Yes, he really does"
"Yes"

<3

werd

Miriel
08-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Heathus Christ does not approve of the original topic. So it's officially changed to the topic that Bunny has suggested.

NeoCracker
08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I pick the last option then. :p

Now get to work on changing the polls mods.

Yar
08-19-2008, 12:34 AM
I will say this.

Giving him the Oscar simply because he's dead is stupid. Was his acting Oscarworthy or not? I haven't seen the Dark Knight, so I can't say. I just don't want it to go to him simply because he died.

Goldenboko
08-19-2008, 01:35 AM
I will say this.

Giving him the Oscar simply because he's dead is stupid. Was his acting Oscarworthy or not? I haven't seen the Dark Knight, so I can't say. I just don't want it to go to him simply because he died.

It was great acting, I do believe he deserves an Oscar. Deification? No thats because of his death, but definitely Oscar worthy.

Bunny
08-19-2008, 02:23 AM
I will say this.

He isn't "in the race" because he's dead. That's not how the Academy Awards or the Oscars or whatever you want to call them works. You prove yourself and your role to the members of the Academy and they vote on whether or not you deserve it. Heath Ledger definitely deserves the posthumous Oscar because what he did with the role was Oscarworthy. Anyone who has suggested he gets the award has done so solely on the grounds of how well he portrayed The Joker.

Also, if you're going to use my topic you have to use my options! Silly Miriel, you're doing it wrong!

DarkZitan
08-19-2008, 02:30 AM
why shouldn't he? that was by far an oscar worthy performance. if theres anything better this year ill bite my own leg off. bunny is entirely correct.

Bunny
08-19-2008, 02:32 AM
bunny is entirely correct.

It takes a big man to admit this. And an even bigger one to actually believe it.

DarkZitan
08-19-2008, 02:55 AM
yeah i just don't know you. don't take it to heart :)

bipper
08-19-2008, 03:48 AM
bunny is entirely correct.

It takes a big man to admit this. And an even bigger one to actually believe it.

My manliness is rather large.

Roto13
08-19-2008, 05:03 AM
I'd only seen Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain before I saw him in The Dark Knight and I hated him in Brokeback Mountain. I think that has more to do with the directing than acting, though. He seriously needed to stop mumbling. >_>

Breine
08-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I'd only seen Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain before I saw him in The Dark Knight and I hated him in Brokeback Mountain. I think that has more to do with the directing than acting, though. He seriously needed to stop mumbling. >_>

He was supposed to be mumbling, Roto :P Part of the character not being open.

Anyway, as for the topic: I don't know if he deserves it or not. Sure, he was great in The Dark Knight, but let's just wait and see what other performances come around this year.

Miriel
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't know if he deserves it or not. Sure, he was great in The Dark Knight, but let's just wait and see what other performances come around this year.

Yup, exactly.

There's no doubt he deserves a nomination. But whether he deserves a win or not can't really be judged since most of the Award winning performances and films are still months away from being released.

Anno Domini
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
i like this topic more than my own....im sad now :[

anyways, i think hew deserves an oscar for a fantastc performance, not because he is dead

Roto13
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Well it's a horrible, horrible storytelling device because I couldn't understand a word he was saying half the time.

Breine
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Well it's a horrible, horrible storytelling device because I couldn't understand a word he was saying half the time.

Haha xD Well, then I can see that you didn't like it.

Miriel
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM

I thought Heath Ledger in Brokeback was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen on film. He made that film. The fact that he can turn out a performance like that and then do a complete 180 and do a performance like the Joker, that is impressive.

Roto13
08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I thought Brokeback Mountain was more of a stupid movie than anything, so whatever. :P "Hey, let's make out right in front of my house! My wife is home but what are the odds she'll look out the window when she knows her husband's friend, who she's never met, is out there?"

Breine
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Well I thought Brokeback Mountain was more of a stupid movie than anything, so whatever. :P "Hey, let's make out right in front of my house! My wife is home but what are the odds she'll look out the window when she knows her husband's friend, who she's never met, is out there?"

Oh Roto :P

Brokeback Mountain is a great film.

Dreddz
08-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Its a given he will get a nomination. I think the pressure by the public for him to win will make him have it. I know there will be an uproar if he doesn't win the Oscar, even if there are other actors worthy enough for the award.

scrumpleberry
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM

I agree with you completely. I really liked everything about Brokeback apart from this. I was like "volume up....ARRGH GYLLENHALL BROKE MY EARDRUMS volume down......i just missed half the plot, hang on"

There's no doubt he deserves a nomination.

Yup.

ReloadPsi
08-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I've yet to see the movie, but I've heard so much about what the actor contributed to the character and how much input he had. Seeing as I'm the kind of person who loves it when an actor does that* I'd already feel inclined to go with yes.

*Or does it well anyway; an example of not doing it well would be when Wesley Snipes basically played as himself (token black guy) in Blade II, so after his amazing performance in the original it contributed nothing to the character, in fact it took too much away.

NeoTifa
08-21-2008, 03:30 AM
the dark knight is phenominal! he was indeed a most excellent joker. he is an all around amazing actor who had a lot of balls to do the parts he did. everybody knows that he and jake played as gay cowboys, knowing they will be branded forever as their parts. seriously, that takes a lot of passion for the art of acting, and to get into a role like that without actually being gay takes a lot of talent and dedication. i think he completely deserves an oscar, as well as a bunch of other awards. he more than likely got a lot of respect in hollywood for that, and even though the general public cant see that, i think his awesomeness as the joker more than redeemed his reputation. not to mention how hawt he was in a knights tale <3

eestlinc
08-21-2008, 06:02 AM
his performance as the Joker is amazing and Oscar-worthy. That plus his death probably means he will win it regardless of the other nominees. But we should wait to see what else comes along before anointing him the winner.

Yar
08-21-2008, 06:06 AM
That plus his death probably means he will win it regardless of the other nominees.

That's what I've expressed concern over. He shouldn't win because he's dead. He should win because he as an actor gave the best performance of those nominated. ;)