PDA

View Full Version : Character build type

Flying Mullet
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
When you build characters in games, typically MMOPRGs, do you tend to stick to builds that are tried-and-true elite builds that can decimate everything in-game or do you tend towards the more "eclectic" builds and the less popular ones which you see less of?

For some reason I always choose the less popular builds. For some reason I enjoy having characters whose builds aren't a dime-a-dozen and have some unique flair to them, not following a cookie-cutter mold.

Breine
08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm like you. I like to make a character that is seemingly weak and then make it better and better as time goes by. It's more work, sure.. but it's also more rewarding and interesting that way. Also, unique-ness and such ftw!

Also, being eclectic can be a very good thing.

Momiji
08-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I tend to pick underrated classes and make them good, but then later on I realize there's a reason it's underrated-- all the other classes are so broken they make the underrated classes look terrible. :p

Other than that, I usually play as a class that can solo well with tried-and-true methods, or I play as a support class.

Tavrobel
08-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I think we should always follow the builds that deal the most damage, ignore target defense, and have area-effect damage. Even better if they ignore immunities and receive unnecessary benefits from skills that shouldn't help them in the first place. Yeah. And if those builds happen to have auto-scripted abilities that can be programmed to break the balance of online play, that would be even better, and everyone should follow that build exactly, 100%.

I go for a balanced mixture of effectiveness, ease of use, and profit margin.

Magixion
08-19-2008, 09:14 PM
It all depends on the game for me. I usually will just pick whatever sounds appealing to me and go from there. I am almost always either a tank time or some sort of melee DPS, I can't stand being a caster so far away from battle, it is just not my style. As far as builds go, though, I go with one that I come up with. I like having my own flair when I play and being unique in a way.

Tasura
08-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Depends on if I'm going to be playing alone mostly or with others. If I know I'm going to be playing wither others, then I'll use a slightly weaker build, with a slight focus on support, if I'm going to be playing alone, I go for the strongest build that let's me fight alone and survive.

Rantz
08-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I usually just stick to archer/ranger/hunter type classes, because I'm a coward who likes being far away from battle. :) I'm especially fond of bows with knockback effects!

Roto13
08-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't play mumorpuguhs, but when I get to build a party in an RPG from the ground up, I like to have at least one character who is a mishmash of random quirky support abilities. :P

Ouch!
08-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Final Fantasy XI's community doesn't allow for much uniqueness in terms of character builds. Race is generally a non-issue--although certain races are more naturally inclined to some jobs than others, properly equipping oneself makes the differences almost unnoticeable in most all situations--so distinction in FFXI generally comes down to support job selection.

Because Final Fantasy XI is so heavily focused on partying, there's significant pressure to conform to the player base's set expectations. When I'm mucking around myself, I'm more free to experiment, but for the most part, I find that there's a reason people try to force certain main job support job set-ups on other players. The cookie-cutter set-ups are usually the most efficient for various reasons. In a party, no matter how you look at it, a red mage with a white mage support is almost always going to be more efficient than a red mage with a warrior support.

As far as other, less rigid, games go, I don't have a lot of experience. I don't play any other MMO's other than FFXI, so I can't say much about that. In RPGs with freedom to develop characters, I don't usually pick anything in particular because I replay games I like so often that it's a good chance I'll give most things a try at least once.

scrumpleberry
08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
I just make up some random who looks cool/stupid to test out the game, then I start it again with what I've gauged to be stronger. I don't like to use the very basic templates (W/Mo in Guild Wars for example), but truth be told I'm pretty terrible at MMOs so if I don't use a couple of features that are generally known to be strong I'll fail.

Markus. D
08-20-2008, 03:54 AM
That depends.

My main toons on Guildwars are Ritualist and Assassin, shunned in PvE for nonsensical reasons (Specially the Assassin), The times I do get into a random PUG (or bother... I ussually H/H it all) I get praises by the end, most people don't even know that a Dual attack happens twice.

I always say when playing an Assassin in GW PvE, remember these things: Dual Attacks for Daggers, Disrupting Acc for Bows, WS and MS for Scythes, No Spears and NO Warrior weapons... also always have your Critical Strikes at 13 points (No more needed, definetly no less).

Granado Espada... well there's so many characters in that game... But for quite a long time I had no Tank until I unlocked Idje (Adorable Blacksmith lady).

FFXI you are pretty much forced to choose a popular class or be shunned completely.

Madame Adequate
08-20-2008, 04:00 AM
I just choose a class which I feel like playing at a given time, really.

Lawr
08-20-2008, 04:11 AM
I usually like to pick the fastest or most agile classes, but if not then the classic Sword and Shield combo is fine for me.

ShunNakamura
08-20-2008, 04:19 AM
Depends on which character I am role playing at the time.
Jun Usana = High Evasion/Agility, High HP, Moderate-High Defenses, Low-Very Low Attack values. Ranger/Fighter/Cleric/Ninja. Just about any of those will do somewhat well. Getting Usana's abilities set straight is kinda rough in some games. Usana wins fights by making the enemies collapse from exhaustion.

-Shula Ereshkigal(I think I spelled that right, I generally just use the first name) = Moderate - High Strength, Very High HP, High Defenses(both physical and magical). Low - Moderate Magical ability. Straight Fighter or Berserker.

-Hanuel = Very very high Evasion(both magic and physical), Moderate Defenses and HP, High Physical Attack but very low Magic attack. Most likely a Monk or Ninja type class.

-Hunnuli = Standard Paladin or Cleric. Or possibly Druid depending on how the exact skill-sets play out. But He should be able to heal, regenerate, and buff people to no end. Ideally he would rather deal damage physically than magically.

-Lanhli = Death Knight type of class. Or perhaps Dark Swordsman is what it is referred to these days. Basically stupidly high attack, High HP, Low Defenses, moderate-High magic attack.

-???? = My standard beast master but I can't remember the name. It was a name that could be either male or female though. Namely cause my beastmaster keeps changing gender on me.

Long Long Long Story short I am a player and I pick my kicks depending on who I am playing at the time.

Is it just me or can that be taken wrongly.

Vermachtnis
08-20-2008, 04:21 AM
Meh I do what I want. If it turns out to be a dime a dozen build that was completely accedental. My main on WoW as become a Mighty Glacier build. She's slower than molassus, but deals enough damage to where people don't mind.

Captain Maxx Power
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
When composing a party I tend to have a mix of damage-dealers, healers and tanks. That triumvirate works remarkably well. I usually only feel confident enough to try out kooky builds on subsequent playthroughs when I know the in's and out's of the game.

Flying Mullet
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Long Long Long Story short I am a player and I pick my kicks depending on who I am playing at the time.

Is it just me or can that be taken wrongly.
Taken out of context? You bet! :thumb:

ReloadPsi
08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Although I don't play MMORPGs, whenever I get to roleplay in the pen and paper sense, I try and make a character who's smarter than he is tough, even when combat is a more prominent feature of the game. Alas, I rarely ever get to roleplay but when I do that's how I play it. It's more fun that way.

With any video game with customisable stats, I go for a nice balance. Again, more fun.

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I just like to hit things. :(

Dreddz
08-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I find all character classes wind up the same anyway so I really don't care. I pick whoever seems like the most fun to play. So anyone apart from the healing class as what kind of bozo would pick them.

LunarWeaver
08-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I like playing as healers :bigsmile: Bozo gogo!

I've never played an MMO or anything of the sort, but I imagine I would pick a powerful class at first, because Buddha knows that these are never balanced, then once I'm accustomed to the game and bored I start picking really weak http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif that can't do anything for my own bizarre satisfaction.