PDA

View Full Version : So much for water fuel being a thing of the "future"....

Cyric
08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Seeing something like this and immediately it smells like the oil-companies just pay people to keep their mouths shut about it so they can stay in business. Considering how effective that practice has been so far, and the yearly gains in profits, you can only imagine the money they're shelling out. Aside from the bitterness, two words come to mind: Freakin' AWESOME! As for the fact that the welding flame is only warm, is because of the amount of water in your body and virtually the only thing that heats up is the oil on your fingers.

YouTube - How to use Water as Fuel for your Car - Hydrogen HHO Car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsvw_zX8ogM)

Flying Mullet
08-19-2008, 08:52 PM
The biggest thing that scares me about using water as fuel is that the world already has a scarcity of water and it's not going to get any better.

Aerith's Knight
08-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Do you know how dangerous a Hydrogen tank is?

I wouldn't exactly sleep safely knowing a bomb was sitting in my garage.

rubah
08-19-2008, 10:19 PM
we can ice-mine on mars, mulley! Not a problem ^_^

bipper
08-19-2008, 10:28 PM
P.S. Breaking h20 down to HHO eh? yeah ok.

Yar
08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
The biggest thing that scares me about using water as fuel is that the world already has a scarcity of water and it's not going to get any better.

Would it have to run on pure water? Or could undrinkable water be used?

I've seen how these cars just drip the water they've used onto the road. Then it gets evaporated and goes through the water cycle, which cleans the water and takes it far away.

But I'd prefer solar to anything, really.

Mirage
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Electric cars + nuclear power, please.

bipper
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM

IF this guy is not scamming the hell outta everyone, he is one intelligent dude. HHO is a oxyhydrogen and is abnormal and not so organic. He is either the chemist of the millennium, or this is an insane hoax. With today's society, I say the latter. Sorry to say, but I don't buy it just yet.

Luara
08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree.
we're gonna die.

bipper
08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I agree.
we're gonna die.

... If what he states in the video is true, saltwater will work just fine. IT would likely increase the amount of rain, mold, and insanity in the world.

Tavrobel
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Hydrogen. Blimp.

Paradox? I THINK SO

Big D
08-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Considering that most of our world's covered in water, supply is hardly an issue. Desalination is a problem, but there are ways and means.

Hydrogen fuel cells have been in use since the early years of the space age... the moon landings, even, used cells as a power source. If we'd spent the last forty years developing this technology, it'd be practical, safe and widespread by now. However, thanks to the glory of petroleum, there was absolutely no financial incentive for development. Because of money, we're decades behind where we should be, facing fuel supply crises and other issues as a direct result. Our species are such winners sometimes.

NeoCracker
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I do agree with Big D.

I'd wish they'd do more research and development (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65I0HNvTDH4&feature=related) to make this safe and feasible.

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Waste of time. Air car > water car.

Aerith's Knight
08-20-2008, 12:42 PM
And Btw, Hydrogen cars existed 10 years ago, so its hardly anything new.

But let me tell you a hard fact.

The electrolyse(seperation of hydrogen and oxygen, don't know the english word) takes up more energy than can be gained from recombining them in an Hydrogen fueled car.

This means, my friends, that it is, like in the early stages of solar panels, a waste of time implimenting it now.

Water we have enough, but weren't we trying to save energy?

And yes, I know these things, I worked at the building in NY state where they research these cells.

Big D
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM

The electrolyse(seperation of hydrogen and oxygen, don't know the english word) takes up more energy than can be gained from recombining them in an Hydrogen fueled car.

This means, my friends, that it is, like in the early stages of solar panels, a waste of time implimenting it now.

And yes, I know these things, I worked at the building in NY state where they research these cells.Well then, we'd better not try to develop this technology and improve on it. 'Cause we all know, devices never get more efficient and more practical if you spend time and effort on making them better... If we can't make it perfect the first time around, then we shouldn't try to make it at all.

Aerith's Knight
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM

And yes, I know these things, I worked at the building in NY state where they research these cells.Well then, we'd better not try to develop this technology and improve on it. 'Cause we all know, devices never get more efficient and more practical if you spend time and effort on making them better... If we can't make it perfect the first time around, then we shouldn't try to make it at all.

Try to read there, Big D, if you think it's possible for you.

I said Impliment.. and I meant it on a large scale.

Of course if that word is too hard for you, I suggest you look it up.

The quote on early solar panel research, that is being implimented at the moment seems totally lost on you too, so I shouldn't expect too much of you.

And while you're at it, try to find the word "now".

Awrini
08-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I can't believe I wasted my time to actually look into this.
............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

Big D
08-20-2008, 02:56 PM

The quote on early solar panel research, that is being implimented at the moment seems totally lost on you too, so I shouldn't expect too much of you.

And while you're at it, try to find the word "now".:p Ooh, touchy.

It's only by implementing - that is, manufacturing and utilising - the technology that we'll keep making advances on it. Certainly this can't be done on a big scale - the infrastructure's not there, nor the level of advancement needed for it to be a worthwhile and productive venture. The energy-intensive process of carrying out electrolysis on hydrogen (you got the right word, by the way) is indeed a huge obstacle to making fuel cell cars a practicable alternative at this stage. However, I see few compelling reasons why they couldn't eventually be (for instance) power stations devoted solely to electrolysing seawater into into its constituents, for use as fuel in vehicles. As for the safety of hydrogen... again, another strong reason for not trying to rush into a new technology too early. But again, something that'll improve, given a sufficient investment of time, money and resources. After all, we all drive cars that carry tanks full of combustible, carcinogenic petroleum; we'd just be substituting one danger for another.

I see the whole process as analogous to the first internal-combustion engines: messy, inefficient, unleashed on a world that lacked the means to make them a sensible and affordable choice for the majority. They caught on, though, as they got better and cheaper, and there were more engineers capable of servicing them.

Personally, I reckon that an awesome and exciting step would be to learn something from the past, and revive the use of Zeppelins as long-distance transports. Sure, they're slow and have relatively small passenger capacities; but nonetheless, they're beautiful and stately and could likely be run at a minimal fuel cost, compared to today's airliners. The balloon keeps itself aloft; the only energy needed is to make it move in the right direction, and stand still as required. Now, before anyone mentions the Hindenburg: Zeppelins were intended to carry helium or hydrogen. The Hindenburg only carried hydrogen because the US was reluctant to sell Helium to Germany, fearing it might be used in weapons of war once again. But I digress. If we could bring back and improve on the greatest of airship designs from the past, we could once again see utterly safe and (relatively) clean air transport. The only hurdles would be the initial setup cost of building something new from scratch, and convincing a scientifically-illiterate general public that helium balloons are incombustible.

Momiji
08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Hydrogen. Blimp.

Paradox? I THINK SO

Yep.

I don't believe this, and if it really is real, how much do you want to bet A) it will never be safe and B) the price of water will skyrocket?

bipper
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM

And while you're at it, try to find the word "now".

Well, AK, they once said the same thing about diesel compression. Hell; internal combustion was at one time considered inferior to the classing steam engine. Chemistry is all about finding the perfect reaction, refining ways to get the same reaction, and improve on it's efficiency. :)

chemistry is prolly the biggest science where it disproves more of it's own road blocks every year.

Old Manus
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
But then ecofags won't have anything to moan and whinge about!

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
My buddy has designed a water fueled engine for his lawn mower that actually works and right now he is trying to make one for his car.

demondude
08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
My buddy has designed a water fueled engine for his lawn mower that actually works and right now he is trying to make one for his car.

Are you sure?

Madame Adequate
08-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Hydrogen. Blimp.

Paradox? I THINK SO

Yep.

I don't believe this, and if it really is real, how much do you want to bet A) it will never be safe and B) the price of water will skyrocket?

Uh... please tell me about the cars you guys are driving that do not involve large tanks full of flammable, volatile, explosive gasoline.

Yamaneko
08-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I really just want to drink my own urine.

bipper
08-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I really just want to drink my own urine.

wrong thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/119647-does-ouch-pee-shower.html)

Yamaneko
08-20-2008, 11:04 PM
You know what's crazy? A movie studio funded one of the biggest box office blunders in the history of cinema and all I remember from the whole thing was that the main dude drank his piss. Talk about a wasteful investment just to introduce piss-drinking into the national psyche.

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
But then ecofags won't have anything to moan and whinge about!

They can still moan about people eating animals and stuff.

bipper
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
You know what's crazy? A movie studio funded one of the biggest box office blunders in the history of cinema and all I remember from the whole thing was that the main dude drank his piss. Talk about a <del>wasteful</del> piss poor investment just to introduce piss-drinking into the national psyche.

post edited for more witt.