PDA

View Full Version : I want to get rid of McAfee

Jessweeee♪
08-21-2008, 02:32 AM
I am so freaking sick of these stupid subscription reminders coming up every five mintues...but I don't want my computer to be totally vulnerable S:

Other than McAfee I have some firefox add-ons like the McAfee SiteAdvisor (that I want to keep), NoScript, and WOT and I have Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware thingy for scanning.

1. What other programs would you recommend.
2. Is getting rid of McAfee going to be as easy as uninstalling any other program?

Namelessfengir
08-21-2008, 03:17 AM
all you firefox addon can stay

your scanners fine id recomend getting a firewall ( i use comodo {found at filehippo.com} and avast antivirus.

you can pick and choose but dont get too many it makes windows freak out

Momiji
08-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Get AVG, it works just fine, gives nice coverage, and is absolutely legally free.

crono_logical
08-21-2008, 04:39 AM
AVG is a good replacement for McAfee on home machines :p

If you use a router which allows several machines to share your internet connection, and not a modem, the default windows firewall is good enough, you don't need to specifically get a seperate one unless you want to do advanced things like block programs making outbound connections and stuff :p

Adblock/AdblockPlus and NoScript firefox extensions are good enough for most annoyances on the web :p

Remulak
08-22-2008, 07:18 PM
The only thing you have to worry about Noscript is it automatically disables flash images and .swf files or pages. So if you plan on viewing Youtube any time soon, make sure you disable it for that site.